Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Santos Concentree vs. Chanel Antaeus

1) Would you say they are comparable or at least similar enough where you would only need one or the other in your wardrobe?
    2) If so, which do you feel is better and why?

Default Re: Cartier Santos Concentree vs. Chanel Antaeus

It's a tough matchup. I'd say Antaeus is better if you're younger. It's a bit more timeless, even though they're about the same age.

Santos de Cartier Concentre is probably more elegant and dressy; a bit more mature and serious.

My own preference is for Santos...matches me better.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 18th October 2010 at 04:16 AM.

I think they are distinctive enough fragrances to warrant owning both, though they smell nothing alike. To my nose, Santos de Cartier Concentree is more of a spicy Middle Eastern smell, akin to Yatagan. Antaeus is more about patchouli, leather, and beeswax. I also find Antaeus slightly powdery.

I like them equally well.

I don't see the similarity... They are both excellent choices.

I am familiar with Antaeus and Santos, but not Santos Concentree.

Assuming the concentree has some similarity with the regular Santos, I would also join the previous posters in saying that they are not alike and that both are worth having in your wardrobe.

Which one do I like better? It's a toss-up and depends on my mood, but I could probably persuade myself that the vintage version of Antaeus was my favorite.

I would take Antaeus. I cannot even imagine a Santos Extreme. Isn't Santos extreme enough already? Maybe they should have called it Santos Explosive... But don't get me wrong- Santos is remarkable. I just think Antaeus has stood the test of time better and I strongly prefer its flacon.

They are different AND good enough for you to get both. Santos is more elegant and dressy.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    I would take Antaeus. I cannot even imagine a Santos Extreme. Isn't Santos extreme enough already? Maybe they should have called it Santos Explosive... But don't get me wrong- Santos is remarkable. I just think Antaeus has stood the test of time better and I strongly prefer its flacon.
    Santos Concentrée is a soft, warm, spicy version which is closer to the original Santos than the current reformulated version of Santos.

They're both good, but the Santos is fantastic, a truly elegant, warm and sophisitcated fragrance exuding strength, confidence and taste.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I wote for Santos

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    I think they are distinctive enough fragrances to warrant owning both.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's a tough matchup. I'd say Antaeus is better if you're younger. It's a bit more timeless, even though they're about the same age.

Santos de Cartier Concentre is probably more elegant and dressy; a bit more mature and serious.

My own preference is for Santos...matches me better.
    +1, except my preference is for Antaeus.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

They're both excellent fragrances, and both are worth having. But of the two, I think Antaeus is better by a hair. Antaeus has a sort of tuxedo elegance and formality about it, whereas Santos Concentrée is more rugged, something I could see a rancher in Montana wearing. They both have their place.

I have to go with Antaeus!
    Gary

Antaeus is a loose cannon, Santos is a gentleman. Therefore, I do not find them similar.

I used to own vintage Antaeus while I was teenager / in my early twenties (got it as a gift). Girls really, and I mean - really, loved it.

Today, in my late thirties, I fall in love with Santos and have blind ordered Santos Concentree from USA. Never tried Concentree, but I just do believe in BN reviews.

Maybe is a good idea to have both in wardrobe, but I will skip Antaeus. Personally, I never liked that much beeswax in it. Sometimes is really annoying and every time I smell Antaeus I have a "beeswax deja vu" effect.

Was able to finally sample Santos Concentree and compare side by side (have Antaeus).

Definitely leaning with those that said it's a tough call.....to me, while both have some distinctiveness, are pretty comparable. Not sure if I would say they are different enough you couldn't go with one or the other instead of owning both.

Stylin LA - would have to say you were dead on with the age thing. Antaeus seems a bit more "in your face" while Santos is more understated.

For what it's worth, L.T. gave Antaeus 4-stars and calls it the "first gay masculine fragrance". He gave Santos 2-starts and recommends Yatagan instead. Personally I smell Antaeus almost exclusively on straight guys but I agree with his star ratings.

For what it's worth, L.T. gave Antaeus 4-stars and calls it the "first gay masculine fragrance". He gave Santos 2-starts and recommends Yatagan instead. Personally I smell Antaeus almost exclusively on straight guys but I agree with his star ratings.
    Interesting persepctive.....can't say I agree overall: I'm straight as an arrow and I wouldn't think twice of giving off the wrong impression of my sexual orientation. Also, I can't see that type of gap in rating and comparing the two. I COULD see the argument that Santos is MORE masculine, as Antaeus is more powdery while Santos has a creamy spicyness.

Thanks for the feedback everyone....really appreciate it!

As I recall, it was not developed to be "a gay masculine fragrance." It just happened for a time to have been embraced by a fair number of gay men, and I believe that's what Turin was referring to. There's nothing "gay" about it as a scent.

Turin also said he thought it might be better worn by women these days which doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

I own and love both of them and I find that they are equally appropriate for all occasions.

I was very surprised that Turin gave Santos only 2 stars and that he instead recommended the uncivilized Yatagan.

AromiErotici

Both extremely good if the Antaeus being discussed is the original release.

I find Antaeus a bit more versatile and like the overall aroma of it better as well. They smell nothing alike to me, but do share a dense richness in the way they evolve on the skin.

You need to try both. Although they are similar in some ways they both go off in totally different directions. I can see Antaeus being a bit more flexible....jeans day/night. Santos on my skin reeked of a dark grey suit. It's a great office scent IMO.

Both are fantastic.....If I could only have one it would be Antaeus hands down!!!
    Gary

Different scents and i prefer Santos for that really smoky midnotes. Gives a kind of swagger and confidence to my stride.

IMO you must be a special kind of guy to wear these types of scents. Most people wearing these scents are mature men, suit/tie.. Both are legendary fragrances, and worth have in a collection.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 2nd January 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: disliked these scents earlier, now I love both!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    +1, except my preference is for Antaeus.
    ditto
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Both are great and both are worth having in one's wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    IMO you must be a special kind of guy to wear these types of scents. Most people wearing these scents are age 60+, suit/tie, grey hair. Both are very dated, strong, and not very verstile today.. I know both are "legendary" fragrances, but I`ll pass!
    I just had to bump this thread. Talk about total 180. I believe SC is your current favourite

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    I just had to bump this thread. Talk about total 180. I believe SC is your current favourite
    You are right! It took some time, but Santos Concentree has become one of my top-favorits. As soon as the top notes fades away (10-12 min) it`s just pure class and elegance. Antaeus on the other hand, is another story.. I still have problems with that one ;-)

Looking forward to got hold of Santos Concentree.

I have both and will always pick Antaeus first!!!
    Gary

No similarities. I have concentree and its very woody, i would say pine and vetiver that makes me remember polo especially if i wash my wrist with cold water only. It has a middle note vibe like bubble rubber which i love and dont know what the hell is that. It has many drydowns and on cold weathers are more resinous. I great scent and i wear even on summer because it stays more herbal. Anteus is related with santos regular... ahh here we have great similarities!! i compared then in my wrists some times. Anteus is more powdery, with a sour note and lasts more. Santos regular is more herbal, straight to, powdery but with none sour. The heart is the same.

Dependent

What the hell is bubble rubber?

Antaeus has WAY more birch tar aka leather. So much so that I couldn't really detect anything else, whereas Santos Concentree only has a touch. I hate birch tar so I won't wear either, but I did enjoy SC's fresh green violet leaf + jasmine accord.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    What the hell is bubble rubber?
    Sorry, i meant that smell.