Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default YSL OPIUM, EDT or EDP?

What is the main difference between the two? Wich one do you prefer. I like EDT, plan to own it, but what's withe EDP? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: YSL OPIUM, EDT or EDP?

I recommend the EDT. Too much blackcurrant in the EDP.

i have and like the EDT version. Its a little too mature for me to wear around my friends so i only wear it for myself or if im in the company of older people. but once i hit 35 ill love to regularly wear it

Tnx

EDT really struck a chord, never tried EDP so I need to have at least some insight from ppl here

I love EDP for sure. EDT is lighter, but i have longevity issues with many frags, that why i got the EDP, besides, i like its scent more than the edt.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    i have and like the EDT version. Its a little too mature for me to wear around my friends so i only wear it for myself or if im in the company of older people. but once i hit 35 ill love to regularly wear it
    mature?... for me, as mature as La Nuit, no more, no less...

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    I love EDP for sure. EDT is lighter, but i have longevity issues with many frags, that why i got the EDP, besides, i like its scent more than the edt.
    Strange, because I actually get better sillage and longevity with the EDT..

AromiErotici

I purchased the EDP years ago and loved it. I still wear it in the colder months and it performs like the winner it is. Out of curiosity, I picked up a bottle of the EDT at TJMAXX and found it to be thin, pale and incomparable.

Suffice it to say that I prefer the parfum rendition.

I prefer YSL Opium Pour Homme in the EDP variety. It lasts much longer.

The EdP is a thicker heavier version with an opening of something close to a sweet tobacco vibe. The EdT and EdP smell very similar after about 4 hours. Personally, I prefer the EdT. I can wear it in the warmer weather, versus the EdP, the temperature needs to be quite a bit cooler.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I prefer the EdP, on me, it has killer longevity and sillage.
    I actually don't like the EdT, I get an 'old man vibe' from
    the EdT, which I don't get from the EdP.
    The EdP is sweeter, more vanilla'ish in a way.

tnx a lot ppl. I really love EDT, but have no oportunity to try EDP, mayhaps I might order a sample from YSL directly.

edp is more masculin and less mature than edt

well, the EdT is certainly a winner in my books. I've got a bottle of the EdT, and a sample of the EdP. As usual, the EdP seems a little thicker and heavier. I think they're both good and you'll be happy with either.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I find it to be very spicy and evening fragrance, EDT that is. Sure I plan to own it soon

I have both.....I like the Edt better.....I use the Edp in those cold months of winter.....Gary

I prefer EDP stronger and last longer great for a cold day.

Prefer EDP by a mile. It's what started my love of similar spicy/sweet, masculine orientals. Good luck finding it though. Don't think it is produced anymore; certainly not any quantities to speak of. LP9 For Men by Penhaligon's is actually closer to the Opium PH EDP than the Opium PH EDT is. Check that out too.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Thank you all for insights and advices

For the love of God, please read some of the reviews which should answer the crux of your query.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

The Edt is spicy and thin, whereas the EdP is sweet, spicy, thick and warm. The EdP wins by a mile if you like orientals. The EdP seems hard to find though.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    For the love of God, please read some of the reviews which should answer the crux of your query.
    read them, were helpful, but making a thread makes ppl more helpful, it comes about helping a person asking. No need for getting nervous Mr. Graffham.

The edt is about all that is available in much of the US, and so that is what I have. But I would not want anything any stronger or longer lasting than the edt -- it is nearly immortal as it is! While the edp version may be slightly different and longer lasting, I am so happy with the edt that I have little interest in acquiring the edp. I don't like vanilla, but I really do like Opium very much at night, in cool weather.

EDT - Fluid, sweet, a fruity note in the top which gives way to a spiced vanilla, lasts about 18 hours though it doesn't project as loudly for half that period
    EDP - Thick, syrupy, spicy with a more tenacious vanilla, lasts a little bit longer than the EDT but here's the clincher.. it projects like crazy through MOST of its scent life.

EDT is more versatile.. EDP is more enjoyable to wear, but difficult to pull off
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    EDT - Fluid, sweet, a fruity note in the top which gives way to a spiced vanilla, lasts about 18 hours though it doesn't project as loudly for half that period
    EDP - Thick, syrupy, spicy with a more tenacious vanilla, lasts a little bit longer than the EDT but here's the clincher.. it projects like crazy through MOST of its scent life.

EDT is more versatile.. EDP is more enjoyable to wear, but difficult to pull off
    you were very, very, very helpful!!

It must also be said that Opium homme eau de parfum is STILL one of the best and holds itself high when compared to its peers which are mostly cloying and vapid.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

EDP is the better one.No doubt.I noticed that nowadays its a bit difficult to get.I have a backup because I am not sure about the availibility in the near future.EDT is everywhere,but go's for half of the price in some stores here.

I prefer the EDT which is less "oriental" - the blackcurrant is significant in this. The touble with opium for men is it is so distictive - it just screams its name rather than its smell. however, I find that one spritz of the EDT is sufficiently restrained to work well
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I prefer the EDT which is less "oriental" - the blackcurrant is significant in this. The touble with opium for men is it is so distictive - it just screams its name rather than its smell. however, I find that one spritz of the EDT is sufficiently restrained to work well
    I like this characterization of men's Opium -- it is very, very distinctive. Too distinctive, maybe, but too good to ignore. It certainly does not disappear into the background. And even the lightest sense of it screams Opium. For me it is only suitable for work if applied 6 hours prior to work.

Interesting views, I'd really like to try EDP but have no oportunity, I really like EDT so I might own it and maybe one day obtain EDP sample from YSL shop and purchase full bottle if it'll please me.

The EdP is what opium is meant to be. The EdT to is just a watered down version for people who are sensitive to cologne in general
    At one point I owned 3 bottles of EdP, now down to two. Not sure if I can handle any less than that
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

none of them...only Opium for Women is woth buying

Thank you, Morning Star! All due respect to those who love it, but to me Opium PH is near vomit-inducing in its horror. It has been my Most Despised Fragrance since it launched. I'm just thankful that it never caught on in the U.S.

Remember- Lp9 for men is quite close to the Opium PH EDP. It would be worth your while to try it out.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Strange, because I actually get better sillage and longevity with the EDT..
    me too
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I own only EDP. Its close to the skin, on me.
    Quite nice, but i want something that project more. I will try EDT.

Banned

go with the vintage EdP....

Opium Homme EDP is richer, denser - but the EDT wears better in warmer climates.

The oriental base of balsam/vanilla/cedar is more rounded in the EDP, and melds better with the star anise and blackcurrant notes. The EDT focuses more on the peppery-spicy heart and lacks density.
    -

Is it even made anymore? Is the Opium Homme line going to be discontinued? Why don't they revamp that bottles?

I don't think that it is being discontinued.
    The EDT and the EDP are in every store here.

The EDT and the EDP are both great.
    The EDT is more versatile though.
    The EDP is probably the strongest fragrance that I own.
    It beats Joop! Homme and Kouros easily.

I prefer Opium EDP. EDT is also nice, but EDP feels more complex, richer, dangerous (in a positive way) and better quality to me. I also like the smell of EDP better. Sometimes I find EDT a little bit harsh and synthetic though it is great scent still. My choise is clearly EDP. I suggest you to try it!
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

i have the edt and secret de parfum... i like both. the edt is more wearable (ie. just in case there are people around u who are sensitive to strong scents) and kind of "airy" but still very spicy and incensy. very decent longevity.

The sdp is super strong. Great when u are not in an enclosed space (as the sillage can be a bit overpowering for people not crazy about scents like us). i like to spray some on my bedsheets... u can smell it for 24 hours. scent-wise, sdp is more rounded, smoother... less effervescent. All in all, i cannot choose between the edt and sdp - simply need to have BOTH!!

incidentally, i find the sillage and longevity for the sdp to be even better than the parfum. part of the reason could be because my sdp is a spray while my parfum is a dab on (tend to use less and dabbing generally leads to weaker sillage).

btw.. i just realised this thread could be talking abt the pour homme... my comments above are for women.

Actually, I prefer the flankers- slightly lighter EDT, but with the same richness of Oriental notes

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I actually don't like the EdT, I get an 'old man vibe' from
    the EdT, which I don't get from the EdP.
    totally agree!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

The EDT has good strength for about 9 hours.
    The thicker EDP has good strength for over 15 hours on me. I tend to wear the EDP mainly in colder weather.
    The crisper EDT I preferred the rest of the time. Lately though, in summer I've been going for the Opium summer flanker with the chinese theme on the package.
    Renato

So if you don't really like the minty crisp in the fragrance (I own the EDT pour homme), would the EDP really be much different in that respect?

Anyway I'm 20 this year and I don't find it to mature really, a bit maybe...

Also been checking the flankers here on basenotes....seem interesting. I'm not a big fan of the start of the EDT, nor the end of it (the Tolu Balm which is what was it cinnamon-like? Im a bit dazed and confused ATM...anyway something starting with C I'm sure of it ;p).... So which one of those would be best there for me ya think? Running out of my bottle need help!
    Last edited by Heawns; 22nd October 2011 at 01:43 AM.

Sur la Plage

Opium EDT > EDP
    Opium pour Homme EDP > EDT

I prefer the EDT myself!

I prefer EDT

Opium Femme EDT (vintage) - 5/5
    Opium Femme EDP (vintage) - Never Tried

Opium pour Homme EDT - Never Tried
    Opium Pour Homme EDP - 4/5

I tried and own the hits here at basenotes.
    Am I missing so much?

Opium EdP is MUCH better than EdP IMO
    no comparison
    of course most of the EdP around are older juices, so watch out for bad juice
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Hey Hasupk, im glad youre back

=)

Thats a long time my friend!

Hey Zgb.

I'd like to know if you had chance to sample EDP yet, and see how you like it. Right now I am on YSL streak (wearing YSL only this week) and want to buy all bottleworthy YSLs till they are ***ked up by Loreal. I also own only sample of Opium EDT which I like (bit mature smelling but has lot of personality) and would like to buy 1 of Opiums but cant decide between EDT and EDP.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Anybody still see Opium Homme EDP in the market anymore?

Yes. I've seen the refill in spain. If you want one let me know.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen the edp on the net going for $60-$150. This use to be my favorite. I have the edt, but it's a joke compared to the edp, which is sublime! Smells dark, balmy and expensive. Addictive.

Have and like both. The EDT is nice and can be had cheaply, making it a good day to day scent. The EDP is worth the extra money though.

Both are worth owning. Anyone else also smell cherry in the EdP?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Wore the EDT today for the first time in ages.
    1 spray and I can still smell it 12 hours later.
    It's a very good frag in my view.
    EDP sounds great.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I adore Opium Pour Homme edp. It is such a clean, sweet, vanilla scent. I do not detect any old man vibe in the edp. Quite to the contrary, I think it smells as if it could have been introduced this year. The edt version is more woodsy with less longevity and projection. I really, really like this fragrance. It is one of YSL's masterpieces. I will always have a bottle in my fragrance wardrobe. Difficult to get the edp version.