Code of Conduct

Default suggestions for living in a hot and humid climate

Many perfumes I like (e.g. M7 and Musc Ravageur) don't work in a hot and humid climate (temperature @ 35C+ and humidity around 80~90%). They become way too cloying. So far, I feel l'm limited to YSL Pour Homme and Hypnose for Men.
    Anyone have any general advice on what notes or specific perfumes work well in this kind of climate?

thanks

torata

Default Re: suggestions for living in a hot and humid climate

YSL Pour Homme is a good choice, I was going to recommend that one. Pretty tenacious lemon.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa is another tenacious one that lasts through the heat.

L`Eau Mixte by Parfums de Nicolai is a light happy fruit concoction that lasts a decent amount of time. Pretty affordable for niche.
    Last edited by adonis; 18th October 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torata View Post
    Many perfumes I like (e.g. M7 and Musc Ravageur) don't work in a hot and humid climate (temperature @ 35C+ and humidity around 80~90%). They become way too cloying. So far, I feel l'm limited to YSL Pour Homme and Hypnose for Men.
    Anyone have any general advice on what notes or specific perfumes work well in this kind of climate?

thanks

torata
    Who said Musc Ravageur don't work in a hot and humid climate ? I used it with great success

According to your descriptions, I guess fresh colognes would work better for you. Try the designer fresh scents like Aqua di Gio or BVL Aqva, Cool Water, YSL Kouros.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by torata View Post
    Some of the fragrances that get review complaints about weakness and dismal projection, British Sterling for example, can be safer to wear out on a hot, humid day than something meant to project well in a 20C dehumidified office.

Dry woody fragrances don't seem to be affected quite as much as orientals, and maybe chypres less than fougeres. I personally enjoy Sequoia, Yatagan, even l'Anarchiste as casual scents most of the year.

Citrus scents and eaux de cologne work well because they tend to burn off quickly enough that you can reapply at lunchtime without choking the people around you. It's not like citrus is an unusual scent for the tropics anyway.

On the other hand, if you're going to be getting a bit sweaty, make sure that you don't buy anything that doesn't work with your skin chemistry. For example, I sometimes test a sample by wearing it for yardwork - you shouldn't ever be getting *that* hot and sweaty under the collar at the office (and if it turns out to smell *good* you now have an excellent choice for clubbing)

I live in a hot and humid area too and decided years ago not to let the weather affect my choices TOO much! Wear a bit less when it is past awful, otherwise indulge yourself and wear what you like!

reine

You can tone down any scent by wearing it under clothing and/or spraying less. Then again the fresh and floral side of the fragrance wheel is indeed less cloying than the woody and oriental one.

thanks for the various suggestions - got 6 months before it gets sticky again

Try some vetiver and tobacco based fragrances. They don't have to be together but two good examples and my favorites for hot and humid days are Etro Vetiver and Vetiver de Guerlain.
    Other notes that work for me in humidity are cedar, mint, rose/geranium, and white musk. Examples are Vetiver Sport de Guerlain and Aramis 900.
    I also second the fresh/green/citrus type like YSL Pour Homme, Armani Eau Pour Homme, etc. These are perfect too.