Code of Conduct

Default Its amazing how much your taste can change...

Burberry Brit.

I used to adore this stuff. It was my go to scent. it was always one of my top 1-5 favorite fragrance ever

and then

poof.

I cant stand it at the moment. i get sick when i smell it. i have no idea wat has happened. maybe its just a phase?

has this happened to u guys with fragrances u used to love but at the moment cannot tolerate

Default Re: Its amazing how much your taste can change...

Your tastes will change, they'll develop and they will get more mature.

My first buys (eau d'issey, euphoria, hugo...)... i can't stand them nowadays. Others that i thought they were perfect (la nuit de l'homme, armani code,...) now seem more "average". Frags that i couldn't stand because i felt they were some old school, some too strong, others too weird... are now my favourites: antaeus, habit rouge, Pure Malt, Opium EDP, M7...

With time you'll realise this and if you keep trying frags, your nose will become more demanding.

It happened with Bvlgari Aqva. I wore it half year every day, now I cant stand it on me as well as anything without atleast semi-sweet base except of Encre Noire and I will probably sell it and buy Bleu De Chanel/AHS/Versace PH instead.

Also I am really suprised how different fragrances work in each season. Some things that were unwearable during summer are actually very nice atm.

BTW I am waiting for my Le Male decant atm .

Also, did you trie Le Male Terrible Jonny19?
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

We all have change in tastes. Serge Lutens struck me as "too much" at the beginning, now it's my favorite house.

Though from your posts here Jonny, I don't think anybody has as much taste changes as you do

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    It happened with Bvlgari Aqva. I wore it half year every day, now I cant stand it on me as well as anything without atleast semi-sweet base except of Encre Noire and I will probably sell it and buy Bleu De Chanel/AHS/Versace PH instead.

Also I am really suprised how different fragrances work in each season. Some things that were unwearable during summer are actually very nice atm.

BTW I am waiting for my Le Male decant atm .

Also, did you trie Le Male Terrible Jonny19?
    no i havent tried Le Male Terrible yet! i really really want to tho!

jejeje... Me in a Bottle, the new fragance from (insert whatever house) for man...

Sorry jonny but loved that sentence from your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    Burberry Brit.

I used to adore this stuff. It was my go to scent. it was always one of my top 1-5 favorite fragrance ever

and then

poof.

I cant stand it at the moment. i get sick when i smell it. i have no idea wat has happened. maybe its just a phase?

has this happened to u guys with fragrances u used to love but at the moment cannot tolerate
    BINGO - almost a same thought struck me yesterday about Brit. I really liked the stuff, then all of a sudden that thick powderiness started to bother me a lot! I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

lol come on guys i dont hop as much u guuys think i do. i might get really excited about a certain fragrance, but when the excitement settles down, if at any point someone told me to through away all my bottle and keep one, it would be Le Male. I dont care if its a cold weather scent. ill go one spray under the shirt in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    lol come on guys i dont hop as much u guuys think i do. i might get really excited about a certain fragrance, but when the excitement settles down, if at any point someone told me to through away all my bottle and keep one, it would be Le Male. I dont care if its a cold weather scent. ill go one spray under the shirt in the winter
    You've been sniffing too much perfume Johnny!
    Last edited by volley2; 18th October 2010 at 09:13 AM.

Totally agreed with Postumo. I have the same experience, and I`m quite sure you will also. Your taste will go more in a mature direction.

Your nose has become more refined, and Brit is a synthetic horror. It's one of the few fragrances that shouldn't even be worn at all, it doesn't even smell like a fragrance. Smells like Pledge mixed with a sh!tload of baby powder. I stand by this.

Bought Pure Malt. Loved it, now bored with it.
    Now I'm starting to love the original A*Men more than Pure Malt. Funny thing I use to detest the stuff! lol

I love pure malt, i have 100ml but i've used it few times. I have 30ml of A*Men too (no need for more) and i love it too (i hated it at first sniff, and at second... but it kept haunting me)

I loved extremely "dark" and edgy frags like Drakkar Noir, but every time I sniff Drakkar right now, I cannot help asking myself "OMG, what was I thinking?"

Off-Scenter

I think this is a very common phenomenon. The broader my experience with fragrance becomes, the more open I find myself to the novel and challenging, and the less patience I have for the redundant - except of course, where a conventional idea is executed with particular finesse, nuance, or obviously superior quality. Some call it snobbery, some call it discrimination. All I know is that some scents I once enjoyed (Armani Code, Bulgari Blu) now smell banal to me, and some I once found repulsive (Amouage Gold Men, Muscs Koublaï Khän) have become favorites.

DeepSilence

When i tried some complex fragrances, i thought i don't wear something like AdG anymore. It's not true. Sometime i need to wear simple fragrances. Now i respect all type of fragrances.

Just one exception! Dunhill(2003)
    It was one of my favourites, and like it yet, but not too much like first time that i saw it.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 18th October 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Yes, it's happened to me twice. Once with Bvilgaris White Tea and then with D'Orsay Tilleul. I used to love them and they both literally make me sick now and I have no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    All I know is that some scents I once enjoyed (Armani Code, Bulgari Blu) now smell banal to me, and some I once found repulsive (Amouage Gold Men, Muscs Koublaï Khän) have become favorites.
    Yes, I have that too and I wonder if I'm starting to use perfumes that 90% of all people find offensive...

There is a learning curve involved with this hobby. Fragrances that I used to dislike immensely, Aromatics Elixir for example, now smell like works of absolute genius to me. I have to say that the classic chypre genre took the longest for me to come around to. I've always loved orientals and continue to. However, I still dislike violet notes and heavy doses of birch tar.

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    Yes, I have that too and I wonder if I'm starting to use perfumes that 90% of all people find offensive...
    I know exactly what you mean but I prefer to repress that thought. *LALALALA*

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    what was I thinking?"
    You were thinking true! It's a masterpiece

I tried to PM you jonny but your box is full. Swap your reviled and hated Brit for something? LOL
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I have been more the other way: ones I didn't like, that grew on me. Chanel Antaeus and Creed SMW are two examples.

There have been others that I have tired of, but to say I hated them would be a little extreme (Eternity, Le Male)

I used to really like both of these in Junior High & HS,
    now I can't stand either:

Applied Herrera for Men and picked up some odd notes I didn't like and it has changed my perception of it compared to 13 years ago. I will have to experiment more on clean, neutrally scented skin.

It's even more amazing that this hobby thought me how to move my nostrils voluntarily. lol. But yeah, it's crazy how your taste can change.

Look at my avatar. My own biggest 180 is with this Lilac Vegetal cologne by Pinaud. When I bought a bottle the first time about a year and a half ago, I think I described it in the forum here as the smell of an old toilet with encrusted piss in an abandoned gas station.

After reading some positive reviews of Lilac Vegetal, I bought anoter bottle this weekend, and bingo, I really like it now!

Sometimes positive reviews can allow you to open your mind to certain facets of a scent that you didn't notice before.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

DeepSilence

I thought that it's a olive oil bottle.

No doubt about it. Also, you learn something new with each wearing (at least I do, now that I have a large number of bottles and rotate them about equally).