Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not in the least

34 64.15%
  • Very much so

1 1.89%
  • Sort of

18 33.96%

Default When others talk smack about a cologne you love....

Does it bother you when other talk smack about a cologne you love? Not just an 'I don't like it' or 'it doesn't work for me', but when they go off on it calling it all sort of names or comparing it to unfavorable things.

I didn't think it would bother me at all but when I see some people just rip something I really like it makes me feel like protecting the reputation of it. I know it's just people's opinion and that's why I don't really care to actually do it. It just touches on that protective part in me.

To what degree does it bother those who it does?

Do you take other people's feelings into consideration when speaking about a fragrance you don't like? I do to a certain extent. Although, there are some frags that the incredible hype starts to put in the mood to be one who does the smack talking. Hah....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Default Re: When others talk smack about a cologne you love....

Yes it bothers me when someone expresses discomfort because of my fragrance but I wouldn't argue about it because there's no arguing about tastes, IMO. I never had someone actually smacktalk what I was wearing though and I guess if that happens (in an offensive manner), it wouldn't actually be about the fragrance itself but about a problem they have with me or with themselves. In that case, my reaction might be different.

I guess I should have made the distinction between someone saying something on a forum like this or if someone says something in person. I really was touching upon these type discussion forums. Where people do get into the detailed understanding and inspection of scents and then come to a conclusion like 'It smells like a toilet!'

Where if someone said something to me in person I'd be more likely to laugh it off. The average person's taste in things doesn't really impress me either so why should I expect them to have an appreciation or opinion for something like fragrances other than 'I like it' or 'I don't like it'.

I do sometimes feel a knee-jerk reaction to spring forth and protect the honor of my beloved.. and, quite often I do try to do just that, but not by belittling their opinion, shrugging it off, or in any other way making light of it or not taking it seriously. Instead, I try to illuminate what I do like about the scent.. the subtle nuances, interesting compositional elements, and the like that I detect, in hopes that they may sample the scent again and see a bit more beauty in it.

I know I've written off far too many scents far too soon, and failed to see the beauty that was in them, whether because I was not in an analytical mood, perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for the scent at all, etc. Sampling say, a summery scent in the wintertime can greatly change one's impression of it compared to sampling it in its ideal setting!

Usually, I find that I myself benefit from this because in the act of articulating what I find beautiful about the scent, I actually come to understand the scent everso slightly better myself.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Ah, I see but my answer stays basically the same. There's no arguing about tastes (online or offline doesn't matter) but if a person is way over the top with his statements, it really depends on my mood if I laugh it off, ignore it or if I defend the frag. I usually can't resist the urge to chime in whenever I feel someone tells untrue things for facts or is really unfair.

I don't have a problem when my favourite frags get bad reviews though because less admirers mean that it's less likely that I smell like the masses...
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 18th October 2010 at 11:30 AM.

There was nothing wrong with your response. I just saw that there could be some confusion about my initial post and wanted to clarify the distinction and my intention.

Just take the high road and don't lower yourself to their level. There are plenty of sarcastic and argument-baiting posters who
    want you to enter into an argument over a fragrance or a preference you have that is different than theirs while pushing their own agenda. It's best just to ignore them and be true to yourself.

I dont care at all.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I voted for "sort of", since I cannot help myself being a tad too subjective and passionate about frags, NOT just the ones I like, even if I shouldn't think, act or react this way

Sur la Plage

I could care less.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I guess I should have made the distinction between someone saying something on a forum like this or if someone says something in person. I really was touching upon these type discussion forums. Where people do get into the detailed understanding and inspection of scents and then come to a conclusion like 'It smells like a toilet!'
    Some really do "smell like a toilet" - so scents featuring indoles (jasmine, tuberose), and outdoor territory markers (civet, castoreum) should be drawing that sort of comment from reviewers who can't tolerate those notes.

"Smells like mosquito repellent" has been so overused and misused that I've learned to just blow off the review as worthless commentary. (FWIW, I love citronella, a friend swears by peppermint oil soap, and I've seen deer flies veer away from eucalyptus.)

In the end, if a fragrance isn't challenging or odd enough to bother anybody enough to write a negative review, it's probably also not interesting enough to spend money on.

Doesn't bother me, though I will debate composition/ingredient quality/ingredients used on any given scent here.
    Bottom line is everyone's individual taste reigns supreme for their own life.
    Whether they are being self-deceptive or not is their problem.

I don't get personally offended, but I do usually jump in to defend a fragrance I love.

If nothing else, I don't want others to be swayed away from trying what I perceive to be a good scent, just because of an over-the-top critique with no substance. As SoS said, this invites me to dig deeper into the scent to provide a defense with substance.

I also admit to writing off some scents that I just really don't like, and not giving them the time of day, myself. Hey, that's part of BN!

I enjoy reading justified critiques of scents I like, though, as they me understand the scent better.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Nope. To me, It's meant to be fun and age has taught me to worry only about the really important things in life.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

I expected most wouldn't be bothered in the least or only sort of.

Everyones nose is different, so it may smell different. Also, some people are just snobs and convey negativity to most frags.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I do sometimes feel a knee-jerk reaction to spring forth and protect the honor of my beloved.. and, quite often I do try to do just that, but not by belittling their opinion, shrugging it off, or in any other way making light of it or not taking it seriously. Instead, I try to illuminate what I do like about the scent.. the subtle nuances, interesting compositional elements, and the like that I detect, in hopes that they may sample the scent again and see a bit more beauty in it.

I know I've written off far too many scents far too soon, and failed to see the beauty that was in them, whether because I was not in an analytical mood, perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for the scent at all, etc. Sampling say, a summery scent in the wintertime can greatly change one's impression of it compared to sampling it in its ideal setting!

Usually, I find that I myself benefit from this because in the act of articulating what I find beautiful about the scent, I actually come to understand the scent everso slightly better myself.
    How chivalrous, Sculpture!

Actually, I don't care what anyone thinks of my fragrance, just as I don't care about what people thing about my clothing.

Taste in scent is subjective.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Remember when two well known perfume critics released a book? Remember the board backlash when said book was released?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, then I think you've got your answer...

Personally, I wouldn't care less...if it's something I like, than I like it - period. NOW, if it was something that I liked, and somebody suggested something they thought was better and I hadn't tested it, I would certainly give them the benefit of the doubt and test them to see if they were right.

I realize I have been guilty of this with Kouros - I think it's awful. But really, if you like it, who cares what I think? It's not like it's a personal attack on your intelligence or character, just a disagreement in tastes.

****If I ever hurt anybody's feelings on Kouros - sorry!

So nobody will have a problem when I say the holy grail Pure Malt smells like you got caught down wind of a tire fire? LOL!

Basenotes Institution

Sort of

But let's face it, this is a fragrance forum. If I click on here and read, more than likely I'm going to stumble onto comments that offend me. If this is the case I can either log off or choose to not take it personally and accept someone's comments just as they are: their opinion.

i remember back in the 9th grade i came to school wearing the following frags in rotation cool water, boss selection, and boss bottled and a friend of mine always talked about how "shit" it smelled compared to his playboy hollywood yeah buddy playboy smells real good i can`t even smell it thats all he wore and he never got compliments after the "no smell" was gone from him then he started smelling funky and told him that hugo could treat his odor lol

Although unscientific, I think this poll might reflect the individualist tendencies of the typical Basenoter -this is a good thing. I mean look at the amount (at this time 1 out of 38) who voted "Very much so".

Talking smack in good jest is fun; I poke fun at myself for liking Aqua di Gio and paying too much for Creed. And I would never attack another personally for their choice...but I may attack the fragrance itself, critically, with supportive statements. I would probably never attack a House since they all seem to produce hits and misses; rather state positive opinions (e.g. YSL seems to have a lot of hits and CdG's quality/purity is phenomenal).

It doesn't bother me at all. If someone trashes a cologne I like, I just figure it smells better on me than him.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Blog Entries

I have a friend that insists on calling A*Men the "pine sap" scent. It doesnt bother me but it is kind of funny considering no one else says it is...cause it really doesn't lol

I've really had a negative comment aside from my family, but theyre all hypersensitive to the slightest trace of fragrance

Nah, doesn't bother me.

It's like with Bang!, I unashamedly like it and I don't give a monkey's armpit that there has been a feeding frenzy on it by some here.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Dependent

Not one fine bit, no. When I was just opened to this realm of the fragrance obsession, I was definitely uncomfortable and overwhelmed, that it was easy to get defensive and easily affected by the opinions of others. After a while, I guess I just grew more comfortable with my own willingness to accept conflicting opinions as just.

Don't bother too much, you're here to involve, have fun, meet with a full range of conflicting, but reasonable opinions. That's what discussion is all about anyway. There isn't much to discuss, if we all felt the same about a certain scent. I learnt this over time.

If majority bashes your fave scent, then you know you're one of the rarer appreciators. If majority loves your fave scent, then you'd be glad to know that too, that you all share the same good taste. And since you already know why you love your fave, you can just ignore the negative reviews/posts. Most of the time the scent is attacked, not the wearer.

There are worse things, like your favorite scent being discontinued.
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th October 2010 at 10:40 AM.