Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Has a comment here ruined -or- enhanced a fragrance experience for you?

I used to like Terre D'Hermes a lot, until one day someone here compared it to a bug spray. Sure enough, ever since then, whenever I smell it, it reminds me of a cheap bug spray, and that's all I can think about.

RUINED.

Another instance: I used to love Zirh Corduroy, though the top notes much more than the dry down. Then one day, someone compared the dry down to chewed tobacco. Sure enough, ever since then, whenever I smell the dry down, it smells like chewed tobacco.

RUINED.

Default Re: Has a comment here ruined -or- enhanced a fragrance experience for you?

Actually Creed Aventus is now ruined for me due to the pineapple. The first time I wore it I got the "fruit" in it but it was more linear to me and I got nothing but the great drydown. Since I read about "too much pineapple" that nnote has become sickly sweet on me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Has a comment here ruined -or- enhanced a fragrance experience for you?

On the brighter side, a couple of ones that smelled mediocre to me at first, I came here to learn that they are actually well made, revealing notes I didn't detect. Knowing that something has the support of connoisseurs is always a plus.

Absolutely NOT - if i like it, I like it.

I've found that a negative comment will actually enhance my enjoyment of a fragrance. For example, I once asked my girlfriend what she thought of Yatagan; she said it made her think of an angry old woman who purposely wore the most aggressive perfume possible, just to be offensive to everyone in her vicinity. LOL. Another time I asked a friend his impression of Aramis 900, and he said it smelled like something a child-molesting priest would wear (the highest / top-ranked / head priest, to be precise).

Both of their comments cracked me up. Those certainly aren't my impressions of these particular fragrances, but even so, I do have to crack a smile when I wear them now. It's actually made me appreciate them more.
    Currently wearing: Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

oh great! now Terre D'Hermes and Zirh Corduroy are ruined for me!

;-)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Yes.
    I can't find the relevant thread but...
    A couple of months ago, someone suggested a new game: One person posts a scent, the next person has to suggest who would wear said scent.
    In this case, the scent was Musc Ravageur, to which someone suggested a likely candidate would be the dandy chap from Ugly Betty.
    It's an association that has now lodged itself so firmly in my brain, I just can't seem to shake it. Haunts me with each spritz of MR!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Yes.
    I can't find the relevant thread but...
    A couple of months ago, someone suggested a new game: One person posts a scent, the next person has to suggest who would wear said scent.
    In this case, the scent was Musc Ravageur, to which someone suggested a likely candidate would be the dandy chap from Ugly Betty.
    It's an association that has now lodged itself so firmly in my brain, I just can't seem to shake it. Haunts me with each spritz of MR!
    Haunting indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I've found that a negative comment will actually enhance my enjoyment of a fragrance. For example, I once asked my girlfriend what she thought of Yatagan; she said it made her think of an angry old woman who purposely wore the most aggressive perfume possible, just to be offensive to everyone in her vicinity. LOL. Another time I asked a friend his impression of Aramis 900, and he said it smelled like something a child-molesting priest would wear (the highest / top-ranked / head priest, to be precise).

Both of their comments cracked me up. Those certainly aren't my impressions of these particular fragrances, but even so, I do have to crack a smile when I wear them now. It's actually made me appreciate them more.
    Not fair. Comments you got were much more descriptive, complex, and intriguing than bug spray or chewed tobacco!

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Absolutely NOT - if i like it, I like it.
    You're lucky. I can also careless if I don't agree with the comment (like the many comparisons of a frag to "cat pee"). I can't help it when a comparison is made about a frag to something cheap/casual, and I find it to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Not fair. Comments you got were much more descriptive, complex, and intriguing than bug spray or chewed tobacco!
    That's true, lol. But those are the types of comments that could potentially alter my perception of a fragrance the most. I've heard so many frags I enjoy dismissed as "bug spray" or "cat piss" here on the boards that I couldn't possibly be affected by them anymore. Maybe when I was new, but not anymore.

Oh, I just remembered a couple comments that did adversely affect my perception of a fragrance, both by Luca Turin in his perfume book (does that count?).

The first was his description of Ralph Lauren Safari as "Burt Reynolds on a bear-skin rug", the second was his description of Salvador Dali Laguna Homme as something you'd wear if you drive a taxi in Moscow at night. LOL. I don't know why those particular comments stand out, given that he's bashed so many others I enjoy. But there you go. I've gotten past the Laguna diss, but I'm still associating Safari with Burt Reynolds on a bear-skin rug. I'm not a big fan of Safari, though, so maybe it helps if you're a fan of the fragrance in question. I think if you feel that you have a better understanding of the fragrance than the person dissing it, and you're a fan of it, then their comments wouldn't affect you as much, if at all.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 18th October 2010 at 04:31 PM.

I had a girlfriend tell me I smell like a french whore(I was wearing Rochas Man) when she was mad at me. I said a whore would be lucky to smell this good. When we went to bed and she wanted to 'make up' saying she was sorry and that she liked the cologne, I told her that will cost 200 euros....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

More likely, enhanced since even negative remarks about a frag heightened my curiosity about it, call it rebelliousness or simply the "fascination of the forbidden"
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    You're lucky. I can also careless if I don't agree with the comment (like the many comparisons of a frag to "cat pee"). I can't help it when a comparison is made about a frag to something cheap/casual, and I find it to be true!
    I've always thought Burberry London smells like a hamster cage / pet store, but I try to refrain from saying so here on the boards for that very reason, lol. It's just my opinion, isn't applicable to anyone but myself, and could even change in the future, but I still wouldn't want to think that I could be party to someone losing any love for their favorite fragrance. (My apologies to anyone who now smells a hamster cage in Burberry London).

No comments here, nor the comments of the likes of Burr, Turin or Sanchez, ever ruin my fragrance experience. My nose is my sole decision-maker for me.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I've always thought Burberry London smells like a hamster cage / pet store, but I try to refrain from saying so here on the boards for that very reason, lol. It's just my opinion, isn't applicable to anyone but myself, and could even change in the future, but I still wouldn't want to think that I could be party to someone losing any love for their favorite fragrance. (My apologies to anyone who now smells a hamster cage in Burberry London).
    NOOOOOOO! Burberry London was the NEXT one I was going to try!

And I'll still try it

One of CdG's woody incense fragrances was likened to hamster cage shavings...they were right, but it sort of ruined it by association.

Another commented positively on Windsor (Creed) which I had essentially given a "good but not great" evaluation. I wrote that I would research it more (i.e. wear it) and, as a matter of fact, wore it today. My opinion of it keeps getting better. It's actually an exceptionally made, exquisite fragrance of refined and graceful taste. Technically perfect.

Not even remotely possible unless its coming from from a respected " nose ".

And even then it'll be a variation of taste rather than a lack of it.

Guerlain Vetiver's full ashtray comparison ruined the fragrance for me.....

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Nah, but many a comment here has influenced me to go out and test things I never knew about, and many I would have never tested based on notelists/packaging/etc. I owe many a scent in wardrobe to the comments of some of this site's more veteran noses.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

One reviewer described Santos de Cartier as having a salami smell - never got over that one ;')

I can say no.....If I like something it's a done deal.....Nothing said here can change my mind!
    Gary

Negative reviews or comments have never made me stop liking a fragrance.

The reverse? Only in a limited way: if I tried something a long time ago and decided I didn't like it, compelling praise for the scent can get me interested enough to give it another try.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Closest call for me was Tania Sanchez's snipe at Narciso Rodriguez - for small, conceited men - or something along those lines. In addition to ruining MR for me for several months, it also put me off anything Tania Sanchez wrote since then. How she could possibly equate a fragrance with a personality disorder is beyond me.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

DeepSilence

Now! I read a comment about Drakkar Noir, and i'm thinking is it masterpiece or not?!

No! About the closest thing would be if I "discovered" something and found it was common or overplayed.

If anything, it only could be enhanced. If some of the reviewers I really respect agree with my own assessment, it only strengthens my superior taste! :P

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    No comments here, nor the comments of the likes of Burr, Turin or Sanchez, ever ruin my fragrance experience. My nose is my sole decision-maker for me.
    When i saw Turin gave Shalimar 5 and Sanchez gave it one, i decided to don't care about them. But sometimes someone says something and enforce you to think about somethings that you have not thought about them before.
    (Don't count words that began with "Some")

They have no effect on my choices whatsoever.

Basenotes Plus

Never. Does not make the slightest difference.

Blog Entries

Only once & it was a negative comment from another fragrance board. The image became stuck in my head, like a bad lyric and I had to get rid of the scent. I just couldn't wear it anymore without thinking of the association.

On the other hand, I have perfumes I don't or can't wear anymore because of particularly strong scent memories. So, it has more to do with my memories than the commentary.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville