Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has a comment here ruined -or- enhanced a fragrance experience for you?

I used to like Terre D'Hermes a lot, until one day someone here compared it to a bug spray. Sure enough, ever since then, whenever I smell it, it reminds me of a cheap bug spray, and that's all I can think about.

RUINED.

Another instance: I used to love Zirh Corduroy, though the top notes much more than the dry down. Then one day, someone compared the dry down to chewed tobacco. Sure enough, ever since then, whenever I smell the dry down, it smells like chewed tobacco.

RUINED.

Default Re: Has a comment here ruined -or- enhanced a fragrance experience for you?

Actually Creed Aventus is now ruined for me due to the pineapple. The first time I wore it I got the "fruit" in it but it was more linear to me and I got nothing but the great drydown. Since I read about "too much pineapple" that nnote has become sickly sweet on me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Has a comment here ruined -or- enhanced a fragrance experience for you?

On the brighter side, a couple of ones that smelled mediocre to me at first, I came here to learn that they are actually well made, revealing notes I didn't detect. Knowing that something has the support of connoisseurs is always a plus.

Absolutely NOT - if i like it, I like it.

I've found that a negative comment will actually enhance my enjoyment of a fragrance. For example, I once asked my girlfriend what she thought of Yatagan; she said it made her think of an angry old woman who purposely wore the most aggressive perfume possible, just to be offensive to everyone in her vicinity. LOL. Another time I asked a friend his impression of Aramis 900, and he said it smelled like something a child-molesting priest would wear (the highest / top-ranked / head priest, to be precise).

Both of their comments cracked me up. Those certainly aren't my impressions of these particular fragrances, but even so, I do have to crack a smile when I wear them now. It's actually made me appreciate them more.

oh great! now Terre D'Hermes and Zirh Corduroy are ruined for me!

;-)
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Yes.
    I can't find the relevant thread but...
    A couple of months ago, someone suggested a new game: One person posts a scent, the next person has to suggest who would wear said scent.
    In this case, the scent was Musc Ravageur, to which someone suggested a likely candidate would be the dandy chap from Ugly Betty.
    It's an association that has now lodged itself so firmly in my brain, I just can't seem to shake it. Haunts me with each spritz of MR!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Yes.
    A couple of months ago, someone suggested a new game: One person posts a scent, the next person has to suggest who would wear said scent.
    In this case, the scent was Musc Ravageur, to which someone suggested a likely candidate would be the dandy chap from Ugly Betty.
    It's an association that has now lodged itself so firmly in my brain, I just can't seem to shake it. Haunts me with each spritz of MR!
    Haunting indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I've found that a negative comment will actually enhance my enjoyment of a fragrance. For example, I once asked my girlfriend what she thought of Yatagan; she said it made her think of an angry old woman who purposely wore the most aggressive perfume possible, just to be offensive to everyone in her vicinity. LOL. Another time I asked a friend his impression of Aramis 900, and he said it smelled like something a child-molesting priest would wear (the highest / top-ranked / head priest, to be precise).

Both of their comments cracked me up. Those certainly aren't my impressions of these particular fragrances, but even so, I do have to crack a smile when I wear them now. It's actually made me appreciate them more.
    Not fair. Comments you got were much more descriptive, complex, and intriguing than bug spray or chewed tobacco!

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Absolutely NOT - if i like it, I like it.
    You're lucky. I can also careless if I don't agree with the comment (like the many comparisons of a frag to "cat pee"). I can't help it when a comparison is made about a frag to something cheap/casual, and I find it to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Not fair. Comments you got were much more descriptive, complex, and intriguing than bug spray or chewed tobacco!
    That's true, lol. But those are the types of comments that could potentially alter my perception of a fragrance the most. I've heard so many frags I enjoy dismissed as "bug spray" or "cat piss" here on the boards that I couldn't possibly be affected by them anymore. Maybe when I was new, but not anymore.

Oh, I just remembered a couple comments that did adversely affect my perception of a fragrance, both by Luca Turin in his perfume book (does that count?).

The first was his description of Ralph Lauren Safari as "Burt Reynolds on a bear-skin rug", the second was his description of Salvador Dali Laguna Homme as something you'd wear if you drive a taxi in Moscow at night. LOL. I don't know why those particular comments stand out, given that he's bashed so many others I enjoy. But there you go. I've gotten past the Laguna diss, but I'm still associating Safari with Burt Reynolds on a bear-skin rug. I'm not a big fan of Safari, though, so maybe it helps if you're a fan of the fragrance in question. I think if you feel that you have a better understanding of the fragrance than the person dissing it, and you're a fan of it, then their comments wouldn't affect you as much, if at all.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 18th October 2010 at 04:31 PM.

I had a girlfriend tell me I smell like a french whore(I was wearing Rochas Man) when she was mad at me. I said a whore would be lucky to smell this good. When we went to bed and she wanted to 'make up' saying she was sorry and that she liked the cologne, I told her that will cost 200 euros....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

More likely, enhanced since even negative remarks about a frag heightened my curiosity about it, call it rebelliousness or simply the "fascination of the forbidden"

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    You're lucky. I can also careless if I don't agree with the comment (like the many comparisons of a frag to "cat pee"). I can't help it when a comparison is made about a frag to something cheap/casual, and I find it to be true!
    I've always thought Burberry London smells like a hamster cage / pet store, but I try to refrain from saying so here on the boards for that very reason, lol. It's just my opinion, isn't applicable to anyone but myself, and could even change in the future, but I still wouldn't want to think that I could be party to someone losing any love for their favorite fragrance. (My apologies to anyone who now smells a hamster cage in Burberry London).

No comments here, nor the comments of the likes of Burr, Turin or Sanchez, ever ruin my fragrance experience. My nose is my sole decision-maker for me.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I've always thought Burberry London smells like a hamster cage / pet store, but I try to refrain from saying so here on the boards for that very reason, lol. It's just my opinion, isn't applicable to anyone but myself, and could even change in the future, but I still wouldn't want to think that I could be party to someone losing any love for their favorite fragrance. (My apologies to anyone who now smells a hamster cage in Burberry London).
    NOOOOOOO! Burberry London was the NEXT one I was going to try!

And I'll still try it

One of CdG's woody incense fragrances was likened to hamster cage shavings...they were right, but it sort of ruined it by association.

Another commented positively on Windsor (Creed) which I had essentially given a "good but not great" evaluation. I wrote that I would research it more (i.e. wear it) and, as a matter of fact, wore it today. My opinion of it keeps getting better. It's actually an exceptionally made, exquisite fragrance of refined and graceful taste. Technically perfect.

Not even remotely possible unless its coming from from a respected " nose ".

And even then it'll be a variation of taste rather than a lack of it.

Guerlain Vetiver's full ashtray comparison ruined the fragrance for me.....

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Nah, but many a comment here has influenced me to go out and test things I never knew about, and many I would have never tested based on notelists/packaging/etc. I owe many a scent in wardrobe to the comments of some of this site's more veteran noses.

One reviewer described Santos de Cartier as having a salami smell - never got over that one ;')

I can say no.....If I like something it's a done deal.....Nothing said here can change my mind!
    Gary

Negative reviews or comments have never made me stop liking a fragrance.

The reverse? Only in a limited way: if I tried something a long time ago and decided I didn't like it, compelling praise for the scent can get me interested enough to give it another try.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Closest call for me was Tania Sanchez's snipe at Narciso Rodriguez - for small, conceited men - or something along those lines. In addition to ruining MR for me for several months, it also put me off anything Tania Sanchez wrote since then. How she could possibly equate a fragrance with a personality disorder is beyond me.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

DeepSilence

Now! I read a comment about Drakkar Noir, and i'm thinking is it masterpiece or not?!

No! About the closest thing would be if I "discovered" something and found it was common or overplayed.

If anything, it only could be enhanced. If some of the reviewers I really respect agree with my own assessment, it only strengthens my superior taste! :P

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    No comments here, nor the comments of the likes of Burr, Turin or Sanchez, ever ruin my fragrance experience. My nose is my sole decision-maker for me.
    When i saw Turin gave Shalimar 5 and Sanchez gave it one, i decided to don't care about them. But sometimes someone says something and enforce you to think about somethings that you have not thought about them before.
    (Don't count words that began with "Some")

They have no effect on my choices whatsoever.

Basenotes Plus

Never. Does not make the slightest difference.

Basenotes Plus

Only once & it was a negative comment from another fragrance board. The image became stuck in my head, like a bad lyric and I had to get rid of the scent. I just couldn't wear it anymore without thinking of the association.

On the other hand, I have perfumes I don't or can't wear anymore because of particularly strong scent memories. So, it has more to do with my memories than the commentary.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I try to stick with the positive reinforcement comments here. That said, the negative comments/assocaitions can be a real source of humor during the day.

Any special bug spray? Does it have decent sillage and longevity? ;-)

It depends. I wear a lot of fragrances that others might describe as "this" or "that" (cat pee or old sofa, for example) but if I don't detect the offending note, or if I simply perceive it differently, it won't bother me at all. However, if what I'm smelling seems to actually change because of the suggestion it can be quite detrimental.

I started a thread like this almost a year ago called "The Kiss of Death" because I had been happily wearing Mauboussin for a while when my fiancé made a comment that it smelled like Vicks Vapo-Rub. The comment alone wouldn't have mattered to me, but this time it tweaked something in my brain and suddenly all I could smell was Vapo-Rub. It took a while and some cajoling, but I eventually came around to enjoying it again. I can still detect the note in question, but it's moved to the background again, where it belongs.

On the other hand, negative personal associations are much more likely to ruin a fragrance for me. I enjoyed Trésor when it first came out, but it was completely ruined for me due to my overbearing SIL wearing too much all the time and claiming it as her signature scent over and over again (as if anyone could forget!) It's dead to me now, kaput.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I had a girlfriend tell me I smell like a french whore(I was wearing Rochas Man) when she was mad at me. I said a whore would be lucky to smell this good. When we went to bed and she wanted to 'make up' saying she was sorry and that she liked the cologne, I told her that will cost 200 euros....
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! thats awesome...

I usually never blind buy a fragrance but since I joined Bassnotes I've blind bought a few bottles. All were fantastic buys because of all your great reviews & not so great reviews. Thanks.

Burberry London smells like a Hamster cage? WTF!..This could be bad next time I wear it.

I almost missed out on Declaration Essence because of comments that the 'armpit' note from Declaration is even stronger in that version. But then I gave it a go and didn't find it to be the case.

Sadly, my wife thinks Bigarade Concentree smells just like a Sunday pub league football (soccer) changing room, complete with quartered Oranges... It's not put me off, but I can forget about that one as a present.

Force of One's post in another thread just reminded me of my first impression of M7--Cherry cough syrup.

Made me think of M7 Fresh as pouring this:

over this:

Didn't ruin it a bit !!!!!! mmmmmmmm.
    *pages Kerosene to post a video of himself eating a bowl of froot loops & sizzurp*

Enhanced without a doubt. I have learned far more about fragrance than I ever imagined. I hope that aspect of Basenotes always amazes me. In addition, I am grateful for the knowledge and generosity of several members here.

i didn't notice the bugspray smell in the reformulated Ungaro III until someone here mentioned it. I think more often than not I blind buy fragrances that are highly spoken of here on BN only to find that all my anticipation and effort finding the frag was for nothing. Many highly reverred fragrances don't do anything for me. So all the hype then the let down when I finally smell the fragrance kind of ruins the experience for me more than wierd things that people say about the frags.
    Last edited by jbthorpe; 19th October 2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: oops

As the OTS (original topic starter), I should clarify that by "comment", I meant specifically a comparison to a common/cheap association such as "cat pee" or "garbage". I am not one who is bothered by negative reviews in general. However, sometimes a cheap association/imagery, which has merit, gets stuck in my head.

Nope.

Yes. When I see any of the frequent contributors to basenotes rave about any fragrance that puts it on my radar and always makes me give it the benefit of the doubt. I have made many an impulsive purchase due to the positive comments made by others on B'notes, but it is fun to figure it out. There are a few here who I have learned that their praise may be like the boy who cried "wolf!" and I should tread carefully. But, this is always the case anyway.

"Know thyself - Trust not an other nose. ".

I don't think I've ever had a fragrance ruined by another person's comment, but I've had countless comments increase my enjoyment of certain scents.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Blog Entries

So far my enjoyment of the fragrances l like has not been adversely affected by the comments of others. ln fact, l have noticed that if someone says something smells like cat pee or bug spray then it'll turn out to be a scent l really love! l do think that different noses can perceive the same notes quite differently, so l just feel sorry for the poor noses who get those notes instead of the glorious jasmine or tuberose that l'm getting!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Luca Turin calling Rose 31 "Carrot Soup" made me put the juice down for a bit.

No.

People say all kinds of sh*t. You need to figure out how to rely on your own feelings and perceptions.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th October 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Luca Turin calling Rose 31 "Carrot Soup" made me put the juice down for a bit.
    I sometimes wonder what it is that Mr Turin is smelling in some of his descriptions...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Yes.
    OMG, lol. It was I. I'm so sorry dude for ruining MR for you. But Marc St James is one of the show's standout characters - so do take it as a compliment. MR wearers will stand out precisely because of the scent.

Personally I couldn't care less if anyone were to diss my favorite fragrance. Since I have absolute trust in my tastes, the put down might actually bring the person's taste preference into question. How about that, huh?

I said above that negative comments will not affect my opinion on a fragrance.
    Positively sure, its nice when others point out notes or more importantly when the notes emerge from a fragrance's cycle on the skin. That affects me positively.

Ive never had to blind buy because I am from a cosmopolitan city and everything is available here ( I even found some Comme de Garcon 8 88 leftovers in a large department store yesterday). I did though blind buy TM Pure Malt last week because it is not available any more (it was a limited edition) and only because avalable again for a limited time online. But because of all the positive reviews and ingredients, I blind bought it. Hope I like it because I almost detest the regular A*Men.

Don't read if you're easily influenced:

Someone on the boards mentioned that Creed Royal Delight smells like BandAids and now that's all I smell I'm it. Also, someone stated that LdDM smells like CocaCola and now that's all I pick up in it.

I don't own it, nor did the comment "ruin" it for me. But ever since I read that CDG 3 smells like Off Bug Spray, it's unmistakable to me. Though it almost enhances it by adding more to how bizarre it is.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenoters' comments have enhanced many fragrance experiences for me. To begin with, I wouldn't have found one-tenth of my favorite fragrances without reading and considering such commentary. And countless times good commentary has lead to a greater understanding of what I was smelling.

In terms of ruining experiences - well no, not really. As with all things in life, when the reviews are really, really bad, that always increases my curiosity. I always figure that if something is that "wrong," there must be something at least different and interesting about it. Now and then I see bad reviews of some of my favorite fragrances, but there are always good reviews too, so of course I side with the good reviews.

Then again, I'm not terribly inclined to rush out to try anything referred to as "honeyed cat pee." Or any other kind of pee, for that matter.

PS: I wore Windsor about a week ago, first time in many months, and yes, it really does smell like Ben Gay.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 20th October 2010 at 01:52 AM.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    ...Then again, I'm not terribly inclined to rush out to try anything referred to as "honeyed cat pee." Or any other kind of pee, for that matter. ...
    Ironically, Amouage Gold Men, which I once described in a review as "honeyed cat pee," has since become a favorite of mine. (I suspect reformulation, though, and - for once - for the better.)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    OMG, lol. It was I. I'm so sorry dude for ruining MR for you. But Marc St James is one of the show's standout characters - so do take it as a compliment. MR wearers will stand out precisely because of the scent.
    Ha ha. Well put Diamondflame.
    Of course, your comment didn't really ruin MR for me. Given my penchant for day cravats and velvet jackets, I thought I was flying pretty close to Marc St James' style anyway. The idea of sharing a perfume just clinched it.

Quote Originally Posted by chasing the dragon View Post
    i've always thought burberry london smells like a hamster cage / pet store, but i try to refrain from saying so here on the boards for that very reason, lol. It's just my opinion, isn't applicable to anyone but myself, and could even change in the future, but i still wouldn't want to think that i could be party to someone losing any love for their favorite fragrance. (my apologies to anyone who now smells a hamster cage in burberry london).
    +1 lol

Comments here have affected my purchasing decisions. I will not purchase some fragrances now because some reviewers pick up on the negatives in a fragrance. Burberry London and Terre d'Hermes are two frags I will not be purchasing but considered it.

Never has. Never will.

Chanel's Platinum Egoiste gets compared Gillette to shave goo. I can totally smell that comparison and rather wish I cant, but thankfully I have been able to repress it though when I wear it.
    Last edited by Riley; 24th November 2010 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I sometimes wonder what it is that Mr Turin is smelling in some of his descriptions...
    I find that the word "...of..." may be missing, somewhere in that sentence.

Only one negative: MFK's Absolute pour le Soir ''barnyard''. I'd have never picked that out in a million years.
    Apart from that it's been significantly positive. Enthusiasm is a contagious thing, yes?