Code of Conduct

Default House of Profumum Roma--Likes and Dislikes

Greetings Everyone

I am starting to sample fragrances from this line. What are your recommendations? Any that you particularly like or dislike? Thanks.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Blog Entries

Default Re: House of Profumum Roma--Likes and Dislikes

Hi Rosehavn, these are the ones l've tried;

Tuberosa; a worthy tuberose, but for me not as beautiful as Carnal Flower or Beyond Love.
    Neroli; nice, but not long lasting.
    Vanitas; nice vanilla but l prefer La Maison de la Vanille's Vanille Noire du Mexique; very similar & nowhere near as expensive!
    Fiore d'Ambra; very medicinal amber with a powdery drydown.
    Ambra Aurea; the best amber l've tried, (Tom Ford's Amber Absolute being a very close second) it's deep, rich, sweet & resinous, & currently on my wishlist!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

My favourite is Olibanum. I dislike Fumidus..

They're all good. I've tried Acqua Viva - best lemon ever.
    and Victrix - best fresh, springtime green ever.

Make sure you try Olibanum, Fumidus, and Thundra. I like all three of those, but can't quite force myself to fork over the $240. I may take the plunge for Fumidus at some point, but I'm not sure how much I'd wear it. It's pretty extreme.

From what I've tried and can remember...

Acqua di Sale - It's fairly light, I don't really remember it. Like sea salt. Wasn't memorable.

Ambra Aurea - Standard amber, decent scent. Not overly exciting, you'd find scents like Ambre Sultan & Amber Absolute far more interesting.

Vanitas - Vanilla bomb, steers towards the feminine side with the orange blossom. Kind of smells like bubblegum.

Olibanum - Standard church incense in the vain of Passage d'Enfer.

Thundra - One of the more interesting Profumum's. Wet earthy forest smell. If you like Voleur de Roses, Iris Silver Mist & Narciso Rodriguez For Him, you might like this.

Patchouly - Standard hippie headshop patchouli. On the dirty side. Similar to Lui but less interesting and on the smoother side. Kind of a way better pathcouli oil you can get at a grocery store.

Santalum - Oily sweet, mainly cinnamon dominant. The older dark formulation is quite similar, just the myrrh is vamped up and it wears darker & heavier.

Fumidus - Challenging scent. Smells like wet birch wood in a compost bin with cigar smoke and a bit of scotch. If you like Lonestar Memories & Patchouli 24, you might like this.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 19th October 2010 at 05:08 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I like almost all of them. The best? Fumidus.

I've only tried Fumidus and Olibanum. Fumidus was interesting; Olibanum wasn't.

Fumidus is a dark, earthy, rubbery kind of vetiver, basically Indonesian vetiver with perhaps a bit of birch tar. It's certainly quite different.

Olibanum is a dry, weak, grassy incense fragrance. I do not like it - at all.

I like Antico Caruso.

You can be sure of being unique in this one because no-one else does. Well one guy in LA, that I know of.

It helps if you like almonds

Ambra Aurea is a pure, single-note amber. It is not an amber-themed perfume such as Amber Absolute or Amber Sultan. If you love amber for its own sake, then you will love Ambra Aurea -- but Amber Extreme is much the same for half the price. If you are expecting for Ambra Aurea's price, something a bit more complex, exciting, interesting, then you will find it disapointing and lack-luster.

Funny I simply can't stand Fumidus although I respect it a lot for what it is. I simply can't believe someone actually wants to smoke like a dirty and old chimney. I did not get the hype from Fumee turque either whereas I love Lutens so I guess it s just not my cup of tea when it's too smokey.

I love Profumum for the quality and the strength of their fragrances, most of them are very long lasting. I think you should try ambra aurea indeed. Acqua e zucherro is a hidden gem as well, on the gourmant side. I ve been told that the new one Acqua Nobilis is wonderful, i ordered a decant from perfumed court which should be here this week, I ll let you know.

Finally, you have to try dulcis in fundo. A beautiful amber with citrus and orange notes, a keeper imo.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V