Code of Conduct

Default I tried Clive Christian X for men, and it smells delicious, but is too weak. Any similar perfumes?

It smelled like smoked raisins on me, but in a manly alluring way. The problem is that the smell faded after about 3 hours on me.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try if I liked Clive X? Preferably something NOT in the >$250 range?

Default Re: I tried Clive Christian X for men, and it smells delicious, but is too weak. Any similar perfume

Quote Originally Posted by PungentPuncher View Post
    It smelled like smoked raisins on me, but in a manly alluring way. The problem is that the smell faded after about 3 hours on me.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try if I liked Clive X? Preferably something NOT in the >$250 range?
    I own this and personally can't think of anything off the top of my head that comes close to this. Perhaps just increase the number of sprays or try applying an unscented moisturizer on your skin prior to applying the scent to see if that helps with projection and longevity..

(2002)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Default Re: I tried Clive Christian X for men, and it smells delicious, but is too weak. Any similar perfume

Do you love the scent enough to justify the price?

Even after two showers the scent still lingers on my wrist, but before the washing there just wasn't any sillage or projection.

Post Thanks / Like

Depressed projection is as natural phenomenon.

I wear limited projection perfumes even I know I'll be out for a few hours only.

for swap/sale:

I like the idea of the lingering scent even after wash, because I imagine the smell will keep capitalizing on itself and become sort of like a pair of worn in boots or jeans, where they customize themselves to your body. The problem is that on my body there is 0 projection. I wouldn't mind being smellable from hugging range. You can only smell the fragrance when your nose is close against the wrist, and I've had two friends smell the fragrance a few hours after applying.

Do you love the scent enough to justify the price?
    Only speaking for myself - Yes.

(2005)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Costume National Homme (though I confess that at least on my skin X for Men is far from weak).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I'm giving X a try. I've sprayed once on my clavical and once on my wrist, so we'll see how long it lasts!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Try Costume National Homme (though I confess that at least on my skin X for Men is far from weak).
    Drseid beat me to it, CNH has a passing resemblance and is quite good on its own merits. I've only sampled X, so I can't vouch for its longevity, but I can confirm that CNH has stout longevity for me, every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Agree. Costume National Homme, while not identical, is fairly close. And not nearly the same price.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had any issue with the longevity of X. It's an excellent and well made fragrance.

So far so good, even about 7 hours out. The projection really isn't what I want it at. I'm not looking for intrusive and oppressive, but definitely something that requires more than hugging vicinity.

So far so good, even about 7 hours out.
    Well you gained 4 hours from the last time. That's a positive sign!

(2022)

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

So far so good, even about 7 hours out. The projection really isn't what I want it at. I'm not looking for intrusive and oppressive, but definitely something that requires more than hugging vicinity.
    Sounds like it is Costume National Homme for you then...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought X for Men after owning CNH for a little while. Same theme, maybe, but X has its own unique character. It may not be a powerhouse, but it is certainly not weak and it lasts appreciably well.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Burberry London for Men smells somewhat similar to X. Unfortunately it's even more ephemeral...

After trying it on for four days straight, I'll say that X is just... pure. It smells like spiced cedar. It smells like a cologne should smell --without the metallic, synthetic, or ammonia-like smell. X really is a quality product.

Post Thanks / Like

Can not think of any replica to X,
    It is the finest of the line IMO, and lasts all day for me

To be honest, the cedar reminds me of guinea-pig cage wood chips.

I smell like my pet guinea pig. But a sexy, manly, regal version.

Post Thanks / Like

luckily I don't particularly any of them.... that leaves me with more budget for scents I really love...also the elevated price is just a marketing ploy, IMO!

To be honest, the cedar reminds me of guinea-pig cage wood chips.

LOL !!

(2041)

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. You're the first person I've ever heard to say a Clive Christian fragrance was weak. As a matter of fact, I like X and V but I'd never buy them unless the release them in eau de parfume strength. Their fragrances are too strong

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    Wow. You're the first person I've ever heard to say a Clive Christian fragrance was weak. As a matter of fact, I like X and V but I'd never buy them unless the release them in eau de parfume strength. Their fragrances are too strong
    Dangit! It just doesn't project on me! Must be my body chemistry, because this is my fourth day and it' just not pushing out nor is it lasting like the Ramon Monegals!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

X really is a great fragrance, but I too sometimes feel it's not getting out there enough. However, I do receive comments from it well after I feel it has died down. I think for the most part, from my experience anyway, that nose fatigue tunes this one out because it is so strong. I do usually go pretty heavy though. Usually three sprays from the original bottle. X is by far my favorite from the line and also in my current top 5. Love the stuff!

sp5.jpg

All hail Lemmiwinks, the gerbil king!

Post Thanks / Like

I once got half a spray of X for Men accidently on the sleeve of my coat. It really was a tiny amount. It lasted and projected forever! I can't think of any stronger fragrances than the X duo by Clive Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke View Post
    I once got half a spray of X for Men accidently on the sleeve of my coat. It really was a tiny amount. It lasted and projected forever! I can't think of any stronger fragrances than the X duo by Clive Christian.
    I'm with you. Other than the No.1 Pure Parfum limited versions, can't think of any other from the house that rivals its staying power.

(2633)
    Last edited by hednic; 5th January 2014 at 10:24 PM.

Used it on New Years, and even after hours of dancing, sweating out drinks, and spilling martinis on myself, I got complimented on how amazing the scent is! Granted... She put her nose up to my wrist, but she loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk