Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clove

Default Clove

I have always enjoyed the smell of clove as it, along with cinnamon, reminds me of my favorite time of the year. Being new to the fragrance scene, have any of you encountered a particular fragrance that incorporates the clove element well? From a look around the reviews on the site, it seems to be a rather limited note. Perhaps it is too strong.

Default Re: Clove

Check out Penhaligon's Opus 1870--you won't be disappointed. Very nice scent--one of my better purchases over the last 10 months. Predominent clove/black pepper scent that is very distinctive.

http://www.penhaligons.co.uk/ishop/1/shopscr1556.html

Also check out Comme des Garçons Carnation in the red series. And, my personal favorite is L'anarchiste by Caron.

I suggest that you might want to try L'Eau by Diptyque (1968) with notes of cinnamon, geranium, sandalwood, rose, and cloves. This fragrance is very reminiscent of old-fashioned Christmas pot pourri, the note of clove is quite prominent, and it also has very good longevity.

Now that I have been reminded of Diptyque L'Eau, I think I might want to grab a bottle myself!

Clove is quite restricted in it's use in perfumery owing to it containing the irritant eugenol.

Comme des Garçons EdP

Notes:
    Cardamom Oil, Coriander Oil, Geranium Oil, Nutmeg Oil, Cinnamon Bark Oil, Clovebud, Labdanum essence, Styrax, Cedarwood, Cut Hay, Olibanum essence, Black Pepper, Sandalwood, Rose, Honey.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

MPG Secret Melange is powered by cloves. extremely strong clove smell that lasts and lasts.
    If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”--Von Goethe

top favorites: bois d'argent, havana, jaipur, amber sultan, fumerie turque, chergui, l'homme sage
    willing to swap/sell everything but my lutens. shoot me a pm

I like clove also -- Jacomo di Jacomo -- the most clovey I know, but I don't really like it. Royall Bay Rum, excellent, but the scent is not very long lasting (this is a great aftershave also). I rlike most bay rums -- the Pinaud is heavy on the clove scent.

Quote Originally Posted by wxman
    I like clove also -- Jacomo di Jacomo -- the most clovey I know, but I don't really like it. Royall Bay Rum, excellent, but the scent is not very long lasting (this is a great aftershave also). I rlike most bay rums -- the Pinaud is heavy on the clove scent.
    I second Jacomo de Jacomo, but I happen to love it. If you like your clove over smoky patchouli, so will you.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Post Re: Clove

Secret Melange is great clove scent, please do sample it. I don't think L'Anarchiste has any clove in it, but the combination somehow reminds me of cloves.

There is a unique American perfumerie - www.ava-luxe.com - that has some really nice scents. One that I have is Kretek, which is the name of some type of clove cigarette (not very sure, because I don't smoke) and is VERY clove-y and smoky. I like it, but it's more of a cool weather scent probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    I suggest that you might want to try L'Eau by Diptyque (1968) with notes of cinnamon, geranium, sandalwood, rose, and cloves. This fragrance is very reminiscent of old-fashioned Christmas pot pourri, the note of clove is quite prominent, and it also has very good longevity.

Now that I have been reminded of Diptyque L'Eau, I think I might want to grab a bottle myself!
    i think it's the best choice.
    if you like cinamon, clove, christmas, chai tea - so it's for you

also you should try eau LENTE -Opopanax, indian spices, cinnamon. Based on a description of scents used at the time of Alexander the Great
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    Clove is quite restricted in it's use in perfumery owing to it containing the irritant eugenol.
    Eugenol (carnation oil) has wide pharmaceutical applications to this day. It works as desinfectant and is used by dentists. Good pain killer. Wikipedia quote its versatility in perfumery, but also mention possible skin irritation. Most perfume oils can cause skin irritation if applied directly. Most likely E. is contained in Old Spice and Hermes' Equipage.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Clove scents I like are

Celine Fever
    Ghost Man by Scannon
    and Trumpers Milk of Flowers for a super cloves hit.
    Renato

St Johns Bay rum uses clove, or if not the bay in it comes across extremely clovey.

Jacomo is really potent in clove, as said, and can be found pretty cheap if you look.

Mark

I find herrera for men quite clovey.

To add to all of what's been listed so far......

Comme de Garcons EdP: Tigs, right on!! I received a sample from Marlen some time back and it delivers on cinnamon like cotton candy delivers on carbohydrates. Cinnamon in this scent is very obvious on my skin but I like it quite a bit.

Jacomo de Jacomo: It's the Cinnimon and Clove Show!! Seriously though, cinnamon and clove rule supreme in this scent, most notably in the mid-section. A long-time fave of mine

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta: Very clovey (is that a word?) throughout the progression with a healthy dose of floral opening notes and cumin in the middle and sometimes beyond. Worth a try if you can find it.

Last Idea:

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent: Yup...there's clove in it. Probably one of the Top 5 All-Time most controversial scents in this corner of CyberSpace. Feelings towards Kouros by members of this (great) community are wired to a light-switch: You either think it's an olfactory masterpiece or you think it's a harbinger of misery and carnage sent from the Twelfth Ring of Hell. I am the only one (to my knowledge) who thinks this scent is "OK but not mindblowing or disgusting." However, this is merely MY view....and then again I may not be one of the soundest-of-mind here. My avatar pic should tip you off to that.

Good Luck!!

Dior's Eau Noire reminds me of a burning clove cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    Dior's Eau Noire reminds me of a burning clove cigarette.
    I was about to reccomend this and also Clive Chrisitian X.

Penhaligon's No 9 has a wonderful clove note in it. Overall, it's quite a sweet and heady scent, however. Not one to buy without trying first.

I agree with the comments above about Secret Melange. Great fragrance. And more versatile than No 9.

Caron Coup de Fouet has a wonderful hot clove note.

Even though it's marketed as a feminine scent, Caron's Poivre http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210590.html is absolutely the most pure "clovey" scent I've ever sampled ... and could easily be pulled off by a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B
    Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent: <snip> ...
    I am the only one (to my knowledge) who thinks this scent is "OK but not mindblowing or disgusting." However, this is merely MY view....and then again I may not be one of the soundest-of-mind here.
    You're not the only one. I find it pretty neutral and can never figure out what all the fuss is on the positive or negative side. Just a clean scent on my skin. The clove is pretty noticable in this one.

Smalto is another one which is pretty clovey IMHO. At first I thought it reminded me of Jazz quite a bit but now I think it is more like a more wearable Jacomo de Jacomo.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Even though it's marketed as a feminine scent, Caron's Poivre http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210590.html is absolutely the most pure "clovey" scent I've ever sampled ... and could easily be pulled off by a guy.
    How could I forget Caron Poivre???!!! It's my favourite Caron and has a gorgeous clove note.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Noir Epices

by

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Clove cigarettes? You don't even have to smoke them,just put a couple in your pockets.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Basenotes Institution

I second the Noir Epices by Frederic Malle, I love it.

I will also add: Maharadjah by Parfums de Nicolai
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Look no further than CK Obsession for Men. Clove & cinnamon to the hilt! Also, Hermes Equipage has a heavy clove/cinnamon vibe though they're not listed as notes. Lastly, YSL Rive Gauche PH has an excellent clove note though no cinnamon.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post

Kouros

I am the only one (to my knowledge) who thinks this scent is "OK but not mindblowing or disgusting."
    Nope, there are at least three of us.
    Last edited by Eluard; 13th November 2007 at 04:09 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

I'm glad the divine Poivre got mentioned and will add the the edt version, Coup de Fouet (Crack of the Whip) is sharper and perhaps more masculine with the clove and pepper very much forward.

I'll second L'Eau Diptyque for its very strong and persistent clove note. But you have to really love clove to appreciate this one.

You might also have a sniff of Dunhill Edition and Penhaligon's Love Potion No. 9 for clove notes.

For cinnamon check out Bogart's Witness and Aramis' JHL if you can find them.

The biggest blast of clove in my experience is Clubman Bay Rum. Problem is, it's a fragrance that doesn't last long.

The biggest reminder of Christmas for me is Pierre Cardin Men's Musk Cologne. It doesn't remind me of clove or cinnamon, though. It reminds me of the way stores smell during Christmas. Perhaps it's an association with a Christmas potpourri.

Lp9. If you like clove- you will love it.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Costume National Homme - clove overdose

Quote Originally Posted by mobyv View Post
    MPG Secret Melange is powered by cloves. extremely strong clove smell that lasts and lasts.
    This one is good, but old/dated in style. A timeless Clove monster, is Geo F/ Trumper's Bay Rum......not much West Indian Bay Tree Oil (which itself has a smell somewhat similar to fresh clove buds), but a ton of really good clove. And since I like cloves....that's cool by me. For a bay Rum with lots of West Indian Bay Tree Oil, check St. John's...but clove definitely Trumper's.

One I haven't tested yet is Tremlett's Clove Absolute...anyone care to expound on it more?

Nobody has mention the grandaddy of the CLOVE scents: Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud.
    It is CLOVES, yes capitalized!!!!! plus cinnamon, spicy bay leaf and amber. Did I mention cloves?
    Another big clove scent is Chai Tea by Demeter: clove, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise and paprika, is that spicy enough for you?
    And finally: Royall Spyce

And I cannot believe that you think clove is a rather limited note!!!, it is in so many fragrances that is not even funny.
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 27th October 2010 at 02:44 AM.

How about Serge Noire? I distinctly remember a strong clove opening there...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Institution

Splash Forte by IUNX is a must-try for clove fans.

Kenzo Jungle L'Éléphant.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by abimanyu View Post
    Clove cigarettes? You don't even have to smoke them,just put a couple in your pockets.
    I was going to say....if Davidoff makes scents, so should Djarum
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Jaipur Homme by Boucheron is exactly what you are looking for. Awesome clove in the dry down. I am beside myself when I smell this fantastic fragrance. It appears in many a top five lists.

Head on over to the review section & you will get a clear picture of what this fragrance is really about

I love clove! Here's a list of some of the cloviest creations I know...

Caustic Clove: Caron's Poivre

Christmas Cloves: Comme des Garcons' Eau de Parfum

Curried Clove: Comme des Garcons' White

Candy Clove: Diptyque's L'Eau

Cigar-Smoking Clove: Ava Luxe's Kretek

Comfort-Pillow Clove: Washington Tremlett's Clove Absolute

Carnation-y Clove: JAR's Golconda

Of course, there are dozens of fragrances that use clove as part of their accord along with other elements, but these are the best ones I know that really star the note.

One of the most proeminent clove note I recently smelled and which has not been named yet is Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale. Clove, Ginger, and Tea. Very nice.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    How about Serge Noire? I distinctly remember a strong clove opening there...
    Ditto. This one is my favorite clove scent.

I second Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant

It handles spice really well, and is one of the more fascinating scents I have tried lately.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

The strongest Clove note I have ever encountered in a fragrance is in Geo F Trumpers Bay Rum. Dear God it's all most a dental surgery experience.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Christmas Cloves: Comme des Garcons' Eau de Parfum
    This. This one is clove bomb. A wee bit too much for me.

Tabac Original: tobacco and clove, very classic and also inexpensive

Off the top of my head:

Boss Bottled
    Dunhill Edition
    Musc Ravageur

Nice thread! I also love clove. Today I am wearing L'Anarchiste and is great.
    I need now your help and maybe this thread is a good moment to ask. I live in Spain and I have been smelling a nice clove scent in other people, a nice fragrance similar to coca cola. I guess It must be an old scent, since I think (but I am not 100 % sure) that I smelt this when I was a child. It is not Old Spice. I am becoming obsessed with this smell, but I am too shy to ask to anonymus men for the colognes they are wearing....Any clues?

The strangest clove I have tried is in Chamen's Party. There is a strong woodsmoke element in the fragrance, and what I learned from that combo is that clove + woodsmoke = sausage! The clove is also a bit medicinal.

Can't say that I recommend it, but try it if you would like something a bit different for your next camping trip.
    Last edited by cosmopolit; 27th October 2010 at 07:57 PM.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Poivre extrait, Serge Noire, Eugenol (not kidding it can really perfume you :-P)

George Trumper's "Bay Rum" fragrance (cologne) is ALL clove and lamost no Bay Rum. I have no idea why they call it Bay Rum, but if you like single note clove fragrances this is an excellent option.

Quote Originally Posted by migjurado View Post
    Nice thread! I also love clove. Today I am wearing L'Anarchiste and is great.
    I need now your help and maybe this thread is a good moment to ask. I live in Spain and I have been smelling a nice clove scent in other people, a nice fragrance similar to coca cola. I guess It must be an old scent, since I think (but I am not 100 % sure) that I smelt this when I was a child. It is not Old Spice. I am becoming obsessed with this smell, but I am too shy to ask to anonymus men for the colognes they are wearing....Any clues?
    Sounds like Gendarme Grabazzi, though its spice comes from carnation and pepper (I don't think there's any clove in it).
    The Bark Bites Back.

Serge Noire is the smell of a deranged Cinnabon employee huffing clove cigs on her lunch break.

Loewe's 7... I could trace clear clove-like notes in the blend.

I also enjoy clove, and the nice solidity and character it can impart to a scent. (I love Katie Puckrik's description of clove lending a "snap" to a fragrance.) That said, most fragrances that purport to be heavy on the clove don't really strike me as such; sometimes I have to consciously look for the clove note before it hits me, and even then it's usually rather soft and well-blended. It has to be - clove can easily tower over every other scent in its vicinity if it's not used sparingly and blended skillfully. I have no trouble finding the clove in Kouros and Opium, but again, it's one note among many.

Comme des Garcons - the original EdP
    Trumper's - Bay Rum has a clove note to it

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Sounds like Gendarme Grabazzi, though its spice comes from carnation and pepper (I don't think there's any clove in it).
    Thanks, I will check it!

Agraria Bitter Orange....Check reviews....awesome.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------