Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman or Van Cleef & Arpel's Pour Homme

I am leaning toward one of these two for my next purchase.

I have been reading up on Givenchy Gentleman Van Cleef & Arpel's Pour Homme. Both 1970's fragrances, they seem to have some similarities both in the occasions they are suitable for and the class of fragrance that they are.

Givenchy Gentleman appears to be more animalic with its civet note in the base. I get the impression VC&A PH is a little more spicy. It seems like VC&A PH is more likely to be more wearble overall.

Which one is better? Any opinions?

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman or Van Cleef & Arpel's Pour Homme

In my opinion, Van Cleef & Arpel's Pour Homme is the smoother, more suave and more complex of the two, yet retaining a strong suggestion of powerful yet classy manhood

They are both worth owning IMO. VCA is probably my next purchase.

I get a lot of leather in the GG, which is a note I find myself not really desiring to wear all that often these days. VC&A on the other hand smells like a very deep, rich and luxurious soap. So, I'd go for the VC&A. More versatile.

fountain

vc&a is perfect, imo. the givenchy's a bit ott for my taste.

They are really quite different, so you could easily own both.

VC&A contains minimal leathery notes, and it more of a spicy green fougere, with just a few hints of animalism in the base. Very versatile, clean and surprisingly subtle.

GG is, as others have said, is more of a spicy, powdery leather. More unique, but still a rather traditional smell. I wouldn't call it dirty per se, just "seasoned" with civet...just gives the whole thing a kick of warmth and romance.

Personally, I prefer GG by a hair, but I love them both and can't tell you to get one or the other...just depends on what you're after.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Different, yet similar in several aspects. If I were to boil it down to a one-note face-off, I'd say that GG is patchouli prominent, whereas VC&A is lavender prominent. I prefer GG because I prefer patch over lavender, but both are fine fragrances. They're both definitely in the powerhouse category - either one will enter a room well before you do if you overapply.

Later: Funny, the Basenotes directory doesn't list lavender as a note in VC&A, but Fragrantica does, along with juniper. Anyone else pick up lavender in VC&A?
    Last edited by Snafoo; 18th October 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I prefer Van Cleef & Arpels. It is also animalic, as it has an appreciable level of castoreum.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

Givenchy Gentleman (vintage)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I prefer VCA.....is more manly.
    I think GG have a little bit a feminin touch.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I own both.The VCA is the one I prefer.Both have excellent sillage and longevity .I don't like the topnotes of the Gentleman,when they're gone its ok,but very lineair.The VCA is nice from top till basenotes.A rich scent,especially nice in colder months.

This place is awsome. Thanks for all the comments!

I was leaning toward VC&A, and went ahead with this one.

By coincidence, I'm wearing VC & A pour homme today, I can only echo what's been said above...

If you're looking for something with a very serious edge to it, then VC & A pour homme should be your choice, it speaks of old world charm, if I may add - old money. Givenchy Gentleman is also refined but much more relaxed.

In my own opinion, it's worth getting the two, your choice should reflect its intended purpose...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    I think GG have a little bit a feminin touch.
    Really? I don't get that at all. It's all leather, civet and patchouli

Both are worth getting, but I prefer Van Cleef because it's darker smelling, much more powerful, more complex, and just exudes more authoritarian aura than just about any other Power Scent.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    This place is awsome. Thanks for all the comments!

I was leaning toward VC&A, and went ahead with this one.
    Cool, good luck with it! I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I owned a bottle of GG about 12 years ago. I love it, but I couldn't really find a good time to wear it (I was 23, 24 at the time). Not sure what happened to it, but now I wish I still had it.

I got a bottle of VC&A a couple months ago, and I just can't get into it. To me it's a dark, weird fragrance. Smells of quality, just strikes me as odd. It'll get its fair shake again over the upcoming cooler months, though.

Own both, but prefer Van Cleef Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Both are worth getting, but I prefer Van Cleef because it's darker smelling, much more powerful, more complex, and just exudes more authoritarian aura than just about any other Power Scent.
    Damn Shamu, you're making me want to pick this one up

I have worn VC&A PH once now, and I am very impressed. A really extraordinary fragrance.

First tried on the wrists, right out of the box, and it was somewhat intimidating due to its strength. A few days later, with a full application to the chest and arms, it really opened up with a very different effect. Just amazing. Quite a sympony of notes, very well done.

P.S. The VC&A PH bottle is also very classy. All the photos I saw online do not do it justice at all.