Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Talking Official Penhaligon's Samples Swap Discussion Thread

The 4 boxes of samples are on their way to FrouFrou, Twolf, PerfumedLady and emflores26!
    We can abandon the sign-up thread and post here now.

I would like to once again thank the Museum Shop at the Yale Center for British Art for their very generous donation of Penhaligon's samples -- we have 113 samples of 16 different fragrances to share around, sniff, think about and discuss.
    (Contact information for the Museum Shop is in post #3. They are happy to ship.)

I tucked into each box a chart of the fragrance notes for Penhaligon's fragrances, as well as a checklist of the contents of that box, so everyone knows what should be in the box when it arrives and what to put back into the box before sending it on. With 28-29 samples in each box, it would be easy to miss a few! (Of course, as duplicate samples get used up, there is no need to send along empties.) I also included my email address in case you need to contact me while Basenotes is down.

If you have not yet done so, please PM your address to the person above you on your list.
    Lists of the 4 groups, the order of shipping and the contents of each box are in post 2.

A few words on the packaging:
    I thought boxes would be more protective than bubble mailers, but tried to keep the weight under 13 oz. so that they could travel First Class. It was very close, within a couple of tenths of an ounce. (I had hoped to include the Penhaligon's paper test strips I was given, but they pushed the weight over 13 oz.) The cost for mailing each box First Class with delivery confirmation was $4.06; not too bad.

Each of the 15 different fragrances has been placed in a separate zipper-type bag, to avoid cross contamination and to provide a slight cushion of air. I hope this was adequate packaging-- the bags fit snugly in the 6 x 6 x 6 boxes, and the samples are protected by their folded cards. If in spite of this, the samples are much worse for wear when they reach the first recipients, it may be necessary to pack differently (squeeze air out of zipper bags and add bubble wrap/ packing peanuts) for the next mailing -- but that would push the boxes into the costlier Parcel Post weight range.

Finally, a quick review of the rules for this swap:

• Each member may test all the samples in their box. Please be considerate as to how much you use, so that all 6 group members will have juice to test! It isn't fun to receive an empty sample vial.
    • Keep the samples for no longer than 20 days and then pass it to the next member.
    • Please post when you receive and when you mail your package so we can keep track of them.
    • Opinions on the fragrances are welcome but not required.

Most of all-- enjoy!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Official Penhaligon's Samples Swap Discussion Thread

This post reviews the order of shipping and what is in each box, so you don't have to go back and check the sign-up thread.

I have not used the samples myself yet; I will test them after the boxes return to me, and will also reassemble a few boxes depending on what is left, and resend them to several people who did not get a chance to try them for one reason or other.

Asterisk shows who currently has the fragrances (or the box is on its way to them)

Group 1-- 28 samples

1. FrouFrou
    2. bookwyrmsmith
    3. coopmom
    4. suz894
    5. weegee
    *6. portzblitz
    7. Then box returns to 30 Roses (see above)

• 1 each of: Amaranthine, Violetta, LP#9 ladies', Victorian Posy (though I may have inadvertently added a second)
    • 2 each of: English Fern, Blenheim Bouquet, Douro, Eau de Verveine, Lavandula, Elixzbethan Rose, Bluebell, Lily of the Valley, Ellenisia
    • 3 each of: Castile, Artemisia

Group 2-- 28 samples

1. Twolf
    2. Primrose (* was unable to test at this time, passed it along but will get the samples again later)
    3. KDM
    4. MsMaryO
    *5. cbstarker
    6. jdnba

• 1 each of: Amaranthine, Violetta, Eau de Verveine, LP#9 ladies, Victorian Posy (though I may have inadvertently added a second), Elizabethan Rose
    • 2 each of: English Fern, Blenheim Bouquet, Lavandula, Bluebell, Ellenisia
    • 3 each of: Castile, Douro, Artemisia, Lily of the Valley

Group 3-- 28 samples

1. PerfumedLady
    2. Al Gae
    3. N. Tesla
    4. warum
    5. Andrewthecologneguy
    *6. Evangeline

• 1 each of: Elixer, Violetta, Blenheim Bouquet, Eau de Verveine, LP#9 ladies', **Victorian Posy (should have had 2 but I think I must have accidentally packed it in box 1 or 2, so I tucked in my own sample of Amaranthine to compensate.)
    • 2 each of: English Fern, Douro, Lavandula, Elizabethan Rose, Bluebell, Lily of the Valley, Ellenisia
    • 3 of: Artemisia
    • 4 of Castile

Group 4-- 29 samples

1. emflores26
    2. Hillaire
    3. Force of One
    4. kbe (edit: note that we changed the order, by request of SculptureofSoul))
    5. archelon
    *6. SculptureofSoul

• 1 each of: Elixer, Violetta, Eau de Verveine, LP#9 ladies', Victorian Posy
    • 2 each of: English Fern, Blenheim Bouquet, Douro, Lavandula, Elizabethan Rose, Ellenisia
    • 3 each of: Castile, Artemisia, Bluebell, Lily of the Valley
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 2nd April 2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: updates of box locations

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

And now a word from our sponsor!

This post is to provide the phone number and address of the Museum Shop at the Yale Center for British Art which donated the samples, in case anyone wishes to place an order.

Besides the 16 fragrances in this swap, the shop carries a number for which they didn't happen to have samples on the day we visited, including the following:

• LP#9 for men
    • Opus 1870
    • Cornubia
    • Hamman Bouquet
    • Lily and Spice
    • Malabah
    • Quercus,
    • Endymion
    • Racquets
    • Malabah

They did not have Sartorial yet, nor Orange Blossom.

Museum shop: http://ycba.yale.edu/museumshop/index.html

Museum website:
    http://ycba.yale.edu/index.asp

Address-- in case you wish to visit this excellent museum, which by the way has no admission fee:

1080 Chapel Street (corner of Chapel and High Streets), New Haven

On-street metered parking is available. When my husband and I visit the museum, we find it convenient to park on High Street. The Museum shop entrance is right there on High Street. There is also rather expensive ($8) parking in a lot behind the museum; entrance is on York Street. That lot is free on Sundays-- and the museum and shop are open on Sundays.

Edit: Edit 6/10/11: Warning! You can only park on the street for one hour. Even if you return to put more coins in, you will be ticketed for "re-metering" . We didn't realize you couldn't put extra coins in and stay longer until we discovered we owed the city of New Haven $20 today! -- so either watch your time and get done fast, or else park in the lot behind the museum and pay the price-- or, go on Sundays when the parking lot is free.

New Haven is riddled with one way streets! Here are directions to help you keep your sanity if you decide to visit the museum:

After getting onto Route 34 from I-91 or I-95, take the last exit (Exit 3) off Route 34, turn right at the first light (York Street), then right at the next block (George Street) and take the first left (High St.).
    There is also pricier parking in a lot behind the museum; lot is accessible from York Street, just before you get to Chapel Street.

Google Map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CCMQnwIwAQ
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th June 2011 at 09:45 PM.

I am deeply impressed with your powers of organization and plan to emulate by planning and mapping this mindboggling sample collection!
    I'm so excited!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks, FrouFrou!

This information comes from a chart given to me at the Museum Shop.

Date / Fragrance / Top Note / Middle Note / Base Note / Style

Citrus Fragrances (fresh and citrusy)

1902 Blenheim Bouquet / citrus and lavender / (none) / spices and pine / warm
    1998 Castile / neroli / bergamot / woods / warm, sensual

Aromatic Fragrances (fresh and aromatic)

1911 Douro / bergamot / neroli / sandalwood / warm
    2004 Lavandula edp / basil / lavender / amberwood, vanilla / dry

Floral Fragrances (sweet and floral)

1976 Lily of the Valley / bergamot, geranium / lily of the valley, rose / sandalwood, oakmoss / crisp, fresh
    1978 Bluebell / citrus / hyacinth / clove, galbanum / fresh, unique
    1976 Violetta / geranium / violet / sandalwood / powdery, warm
    1984 Elizabethan Rose / aldehydes / rose, chamomile / musk / cool, sparkling
    2006 Lily and Spice / Madonna lily / saffron / patchouli / spicy
    2005 Ellenisia / mandarin / gardenia, tuberose, jasmine / plum nectar, vanilla / sweet, sensual

Chypre Fragrances (warm and dry)

1911 English Fern / lavender / clover / oakmoss / aromatic, alpine
    1979 Victorian Posy / citrus / lily, chamomile, rose / oakmoss / sweet
    2005 Opus 1870 / black pepper / clove / cedarwood / fresh, woody, spicy
    1989 Racquets Formula / citrus / aromatic woods / lavender / spicy
    1996 Quercus / citrus / amber / oakmoss and musk / fresh

Oriental Fragrances (rich and soft)

1872 Hammam Bouquet / lavender / orris, jasmine, otto of rose / sandalwood / fresh, aromatic
    2003 Malabah / lemon / ginger, jasmine / amber, sandalwood / citrusy, spicy

Semi-Oriental Fragrances (sweet and soft)

1991 Cornubia / mandarin / white flowers / vanilla and musk / powdery, sensual
    2003 Endymion / mandarin / coffee absolute / black pepper, leather, amber / fresh, soft
    2002 Artemisia / mandarin / jasmine tea / vanilla, amber / warm, powdery
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 20th October 2010 at 04:07 AM.

I'm not a member of this group, but am looking forward to hearing more about these scents! 30 Roses, your initiative, organizational skills, and generosity are inspirational!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks C Rose!

I updated the chart for post #5.
    Scanning the chart in didn't work (image was too small to read) and I couldn't copy and paste the chart I created in Word either. Maddening!

30R, thank you so much for that chart. I appreciate the effort, believe me. I would have made up a similar chart for my personal use, but I would have had to look up each one and it would have taken a while.

I figure if everyone keeps their samples for the full 20 days and traveling takes about 5 days each time, we are looking at about 5 months for this to be completed. I guess I can relax and just be pleasantly surprised come January when I get a cute little beat-up box...lol.
    "The radical of one century is the conservative of the next." Mark Twain

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

MsMaryO, the boxes will be even more beat-up, and probably we'll be into February by the time they find their way back to me!

Although I've probably smelled most of the fragrances at one time or other, I don't remember them clearly and didn't use the samples before mailing them, so I also look forward to testing the leftovers!

I just realized I won't be able to wear any of my own fragrances from the moment the box arrives!
    Some heavy work lays ahead!

Group#3-your package has arrived at its first destination!The box is very slightly dented,but the samples are in perfect condition.I will be testing Lavandula shortly,after a much-deserved bath(hard day!) and in the interest of not flooding the thread with posts,I will post back every couple of days with impressions of the scents I have tested.I will also post these in the Who's Wearing What(SotD) section of the site,along with a quick impression of each one if anyone cares to follow along.When possible,I will test two scents a day to move this along!

Update:It occurred to me that not much will have been used yet when I pass the samples on,so in cases of multiple carded samples,I will attach a sticky note to mark the opened vials.BTW,so far I am loving Lavandula!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 20th October 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm glad to know Box 3 contents survived the trip! Thanks for posting that.

Box # 1 arrived in perfect order, will start ''work'' tomorrow!

Just a little report on the fragrances I've tried,from a still very uneducated nose!I think my budget may be in trouble because I already own and love two Penhaligon's(Night-Scented Stock&Orange Blossom)from the Anthology line and I've already found a couple more I really like!
    So far I have tried:
    Lavandula-this is a very natural smelling lavender but it's also a lot more than that,thanks to its sweet,creamy drydown.I love tonka bean and this is gorgeous!Could still smell it the next morning.
    Elixer-another one that lasted quite a long time.It's a very modern take on spicy orientals,with a very subtle hint of rose and a sheerness to it that would make it wearable in summer or for office.Also,another beautiful drydown on this one.
    Victorian Posy-went on my wishlist!This is the scent of a zippered,leather-bound Bible given to me as a child by one of my great-aunts.Inside were violet and rose petals that she had pressed inside it when she was a child.I have searched to find that scent again ever since and here it is!If you dislike musty old classic chypres,you'll hate it.I must have it.
    Bluebell-didn't expect to like it as much as I did.At first,it seemed to be a typical classic floral aldehyde,but it really evolves into something special.
    Lily-of-the-Valley-this brand seems to do "natural" scents exceptionally well;this is more l-o-v than I can wear well,but it's a masterpiece.Lovers of this flower must try it,even if it means purchasing a sample.
    Right now,I'm testing Artemisia and this is another I could see purchasing down the road.It's an oriental vanilla and my wardrobe is quite heavy on those right now!This could replace many of them,though.It's got a really odd opening,but I'm loving the way it's evolving.This experience has been so much fun and I'm learning invaluable lessons about my own tastes.I'm glad I still have many left to try!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your post, PerfumedLady! I'm so glad that you are enjoying this!

At this point I want to add that Penhaligon's USA will send a sample or two if you email them via their contact page on their website. So even if you are not a part of this swap, you can still try a few of their fragrances.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th October 2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: typo

Again, thank you, Roses, for all the coordination on this. Hugs!

(Nooooo....no Sartorial!)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The Box for Group 2 has arrived today, it has been banged up pretty badly too but all the samples are intact. I have started sniffing already -- will mail it out on or before November the 12th to Primrose.

As a side note -- you guys please save the address of the person to whom you are mailing somewhere in your book -- one never knows if or when BN will go offline again.

Good advice, this project is as much a planning exercise as a sniffing exercise for me!!!!!
    I have added the name of my successor to my spreadsheet.
    I am hard at work, and will write up the whole list once I am finished! The samples are nice big vials, and most are double or triple, so I can give it a bit of a splash without worrying I am being careless and not leaving enough.
    With the Malle samples I was very scroungy because I was worried for using too much.

I recieved them on Friday, but haven't been able to post. I currently own Blenhiem Bouquet. So far I tried the English Fern, which I do like, as well as the Eau de Vervein. My girlfriend absolutely loves the Lavandula.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

FrouFrou and everyone else,

I will be very interested in feedback when this swap and the Malle one are over, as to what we could do better next time (because I'd like very much for there to be a next time, hopefully with other samples donated for the purpose.)

In particular I'd like to know whether people felt they had enough juice/enough time to sample, but all ideas on how we can improve the process are welcome.

There is enough juice to sample. I just think that as the very first person you tend to be very careful not to use too much, but this time some are three samples which makes it a lot easier.
    There is not enough time but that's my own fault for traveling back again!
    As far as organization and packing goes I have nothing but praise. I make sure all samples stay in the zipper bags so no cross contamination is possible. The spreadsheet is a great help!

Wholeheartedly supporting PerfumedLady's idea about placing a tiny sticky note on the card of the fragrances that you have tried -- so that people after you - hopefully! -- finish these vials first before starting dipping into the new ones and 30R does not end up with three drops of the same scent where almost the whole vial would be possible otherwise. Sorry, I am particularly tongue in cheek this morning.

Yeah, and make them copies of the spreadsheet for your personal use, please!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The "sticky note/using up one sample before going to the next one" idea is good and should result in increasingly lower postage costs as the vials get used up. Also the photocopying of the sheet I included in each box, so that the next recipient finds a copy in the box when they get it.

But as for saving me some perfume to test, I prefer you all think of the groups as having just the six members -- it will be hard enough to stretch the solitary samples for six people! If some juice happens to be left when everyone has tried them, fine, but don't deliberately save me juice; I can always revisit the Museum shop and use the testers, or beg another sample We have to be practical here.

Hello all-hope everyone had a happy Halloween!I've finally made a real dent in these samples and thought I'd share a few quick impressions.Since my last post I've sampled: Blenheim Bouquet-was interesting because I'm sure I've never experienced a scent with no heart notes;I generally enjoy complex fragrances and though it's fairly linear,it held my interest.I found it very unisex as it's a pretty dry lavender scent with some citrus.
    Castile-I liked this a lot,actually wouldn't mind a bottle for hot summer days when I want a less intrusive scent.It's not strong,but it is long lasting.I haven't smelled actual Castile soap in too many years to make any comparison;to me it's just a very nice citrus-rose musk with a touch of woods.
    Douro-I think this is my favorite of the men's scents.It's a very well made classic men's chypre with just a touch of lily-of-the-valley.It's bracing but warm and I'm learning that I really like the way Penhaligon's handles oakmoss in an age that's unfriendly toward that particular ingredient.Their chypres remind me of the way chypres used to smell!
    Violetta-Violet is one of my favorite florals,so I was disappointed that I didn't like this more.It's well made and stuck around quite awhile for me but it's just sweeter than I like my violets.I do wish that this type of scent were popular among younger girls,as opposed to some of the other concoctions I've been smelling lately.
    Eau de Vervaine-way more masculine than unisex to my nose but a very strong and long lasting herbal lemon that would be really nice in the heat of summer.
    Ellenisia-This is another that I feel is for someone younger or at least younger at heart than I am!It's a slightly green bouquet of mainly jasmine,gardenia and tuberose on me on a vanilla base.It is quite pretty and another sweet one.
    LP#9-This is one to really let develop.It starts of with a pretty unusual blast that I really can't describe and then becomes a warm,spicy,woody scent.Not for me,but it really grew on me as I wore it.
    Amaranthine-This reminds me of my beloved Night-Scented Stock!Amaranthine is white flowers and tea where N-SS is violet and heliotrope,but they share the same beautiful use of clove and the wonderful tonka bean base this house does so well.Very nice.
    I've got English Fern and Elizabethan Rose left to go but I'm taking the day off from sampling today.My sinuses are throwing a bit of a tantrum over the ever-changing Indiana fall weather!I will be mailing these off to Al Gae toward the middle of the week-I'll post again once they're sent.I'm looking forward to hearing what the rest of you think.Hope you all have a good week!

Great!

I have been testing some too, not quite finished, but have done 11 scents out of 15. I have never had a full bottle of any Penhaligon's because they were not worth buying, not on this skin, and have not expected any surprises from these 15 scents either. Oh boy, wrong I was!

With 4 more scents to go -- Castile, Eau de Verveine, Elisabethan Rose and Ellenisia -- and I have had decants of two of these before -- I can hang my head in shame and say that I am in love with one Penhaligon's that makes my heart sing and exclaim How could I not know anything about this before? -- (Ta Da!) -- Blenheim Bouquet. Beautiful in its simplicity, lemons with lavender undertones and pine with a dash of spices. Totally unisex since 1902. JC Ellena for Hermes, now we know where your taste and inspiration come from! Need some, want some even more.

LP#9 -- crushed expectations, totally synthetic, generic sweetness dries down to a non-descript and rather predictable floriental. JLo could have done better, IMO.

Lavandula -- nice soft modern L'Artisanesque approach to lavender, quite agreeable, without fanatism.

English Fern -- (used to like it a lot), a must try for every beginner to get an idea that this is possible altogether, will need a small sample in my collection for references, old-world look on aromatic genre, now I would have to be in the mood to wear this as the drydown is quite unexciting. I feel that the oakmoss part has been heavily butchered up. Will anyone care to compare the old and this newer version?

Douro -- masculine classical cologne, will be good as aftershave, will be appropriate in the office environment, do not need any.

Victorian Posy -- excellent teaching tool for answering the question of How to make a scent where white blooms become dry? Do not need any to keep. If I needed some, I would refer to Paco Rabanne Metal -- same vibe but with the wider spectrum of emotions.

Bluebell -- still mean and green, lasts for ever and can't be washed off. I do not remember where exactly, but once I described it as coils upon coils of a green garden hose that are supposed to represent the dew-washed morning garden. Not happening here, though.

Lily of the Valley -- quite dry green scent, needs more sweetness, greens are lower pitched and last. Not my crystal vase.

Amaranthine -- I have got a decant from Ms.H. You know, I do not even mind all that greens, tree sap, pollen of spring blossoms as paired with sweetened condensed milk and black tea. It is all simpler: too much musk for me, I can't do it even if I wanted to, sorry.

Violetta -- loved the beginning, politely balanced and true-to-life violet scent for/on me. Very little development, if any, and powdery dryout. Would not mind having a small decant just for comparison purposes.

Artemisia -- this one I like and always have, but not enough to buy the whole bottle.

The package for group# 3 is on its way to Al Gae!I'd like to say thank you and big hugs to our Fairy Godmother of Fragrance,30 Roses and also I sincerely thank the Museum Shop at the Yale Center for British Art for this opportunity.I learned more about my fragrance tastes than I thought possible after 20-plus years of wearing perfumes!

Hillaire

I just received my package from emflores26; thank you.
    So far, I have tried:

LP no 9 (women's) - A lighter version, to my nose, of Dior's Dune. I admire the simplicity with which the Penhaligon's delivers this sort of alkaline floral depth. In light of Dune's recent ruination, I would recommend this one to disgruntled Dune lovers.

Elisabethan Rose - Just like I imagined it would be! A really eighties aldehydic take on the "cream rose"; nice, but not at all understated.

Castile
    - And here's why I posted! Holy C***! This is AMAZING, and I am in a dither about not owning this one! I recently fell in love with ann procured PdN's masterful cologne-archetype Cologne Solgne. This could be its 'sister' scent; whereas CS is more lavender-based, Castile leans on the magic of neroli. This is a perfect Neroli cologne, and as classic a 'clean' scent from Penhaligon's as English Fern. I now resent my Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, btw; it's nothing like this stuff; it conned me, and now I know better!

More to come!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    The package for group# 3 is on its way to Al Gae!I'd like to say thank you and big hugs to our Fairy Godmother of Fragrance,30 Roses and also I sincerely thank the Museum Shop at the Yale Center for British Art for this opportunity.I learned more about my fragrance tastes than I thought possible after 20-plus years of wearing perfumes!
    Just got back from vacation today, and the package was waiting. One edge of the box was pretty well busted open, but the contents were complete and intact. Nice packing job! I'm bushed, so I'll dive in tomorrow!

I am back in the Netherlands, I mailed the package on my way to the airport!
    It should arrive tomorrow or the day after.
    I have to battle jetlag now, and get my stuff organized, but I made notes and will write what I thought about them. I enjoyed it so much!
    It was hard work though!
    I put a few scribbles on the list because my brain was under the influence of perfume fumes and did not think and realize that I had to send the list to the next person....

I did not mark the samples I used either, by to get the sample out I had to bend the back of the cardboard wrapper, You can see the crease.
    I tried to be very careful and use very little, the last day I resampled some favorites of which there were three samples.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Not to worry, I can send a fresh list to bookwrymsmith if she sends me her address.

Just a few very small scribbles, and bookwrymsmith's own address.
    I tried to be methodical, and tick off the fragrances I had tried...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

No problem, new list will be on its way now I have bookwyrmsmith's address!

Group #1 Package arrived safely late this afternoon .Tried Bluebell -Love! FBW(I think I'm gonna be in trouble )Amaranthine -High like /decant worthy possibly FBW.Will report back on others later .
    Thank you 30 Roses for this opportunity!

Group #2 package was mailed out Priority with delivery Confirmation on Friday morning (Nov.12). Waiting for Primrose to confirm the receipt.

Bumpity-bump, just in case people would not know where to post their impressions.

Primrose informed me that she had received Package #2 on the 15th.

Is anyone trying anything at all?
    Next week some of the packages should be mailed out to recipient #3 in your groups.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Twolf, I suspect everyone is busy preparing for good ol' Turkey Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Bumpity-bump, just in case people would not know where to post their impressions.

Primrose informed me that she had received Package #2 on the 15th.
    I am trying and will forward on to my next person next week. So many samples and NO Sartorial...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hi everybody! Didn't want to flood the thread, so I've been waiting until I was complete with the samples to post my impressions all at once. I finished up this week, patched up the box, and shipped it off to N_Tesla, recipient #3 today.

As a disclaimer to the following reviews, please note that I've got a fairly young nose. I'm still figuring out what I like and learning how to pick notes out of compositions. Also, until this box arrived, I'd never really tried out many floral, feminine fragrances. So, I had an interesting time figuring out exactly what I thought of some of these. So, here we go!

Elixer - I really liked the opening on this one, it really pops in the opening (the eucalyptus steam?). And I liked the rose in the heart, but there's something in the drydown - the soft woods mingling with the incense I think - that didn't really agree with me. It was certainly tenacious though, lasting well past my 8-hour workday.
    Violetta - I put this on in the evening, and my room-mate told me "you smell like Green Tea" when I strolled into the living room. So, obviously great sillage. I definitely get a little bit of a green tea vibe in the opening. I also liked the rich violet heart; very true, slightly watery, pure violet. I find it gets a little "dusty" towards the end. Overall I thought it was a nice scent, but a little flowery for me.
    Blenheim Boquet - Opens up really fresh and kind of minty, a very different take on herbal freshness than I'm used to. A lavender note creeps in that I actually like; frequently lavender on me smells like a sweet licorice(yuck), but this was a more subdued, more true lavender. The pine scent is nice, not wet, sappy pine, but more of a drier pine log scent, and is refreshing throughout the day. It has very good longevity on me (8+ hrs). I liked this one enough to try it twice, it was probably my favorite out of the bunch.
    Eau de Verveine - Opened nice, but disappeared on me within about 15 minutes! I've never been asnomic to anything, but perhaps I am to this... Smelled vague hints of cinnamon throughout the day, that's it.
    LP#9 - Sweet and flowery. Smells like a mainstream marketed towards younger women.
    Victorian Posey - This was a very dense floral, definitely too dense for me to pick apart. Like a floral garden. Nice, not old lady, but definitely very feminine.
    Amaranthine - Ummm, I think I really like this one. Opens strong, green and spicy; delightful. Dries down to a very lovely tonka-musc, which smells pretty great on me. Just powdery enough to be quite feminine; I could almost wear this one. I could see myself getting this for a SO, just to use a little every now and then...
    English Fern - Very ferny and green, maybe too much for me. And it was rather linear on my skin. The sillage faded fast, but a ghost clung on for a long time. Just OK, IMO.
    Douro - Very spicy to start off, tons of cinnamon & nutmeg (I think). A mellow neroli comes in nicely in the heart, but it fades out fast. The drydown is persistent cinnamon, and like most of these frags, sticks around tenaciously. Felt kind of Christmas-y, like a cup of spiced cider. This one earned itself a second wearing, but I don't think the southern California climate necessitates owning a fragrance like this.
    Lavandula - Fresh, true, occasionally transparent, Lavender. Doesn't smell like licorice at all on me, very dry, realistic lavender. Throw in some spice, and there you go. Liked it, wore it twice, but I didn't totally love it.
    Elizabethan Rose - Really nice, realistic rose smell. Reminds me of Mom's roses & garden. Conjured up images of playing football in the front yard at the end of summer, the last roses coming to a fragrant end... and getting tackled into the thorns! Great memories. Good projection. Wore it to bed, and I still smelled it in the morning; not a hint, really there. I've never wanted to smell just like a rose, but if you do, I would recommend this one.
    Bluebell - Soft floral, opens strong. Simmers down later. Not too complex, but very feminine. Drydown is actually quite nice, close to skin, but spices start to come in and balance out the florals.
    Lilly of the Valley - I don't know what Lilly of the Valley really smells like. I'll seek some out in the flower district at some point. I do know that this was a really nice, crisp, fresh floral. Quite linear, decent longevity. Quite floral, but fresh and not overbearing in my opinion. Too feminine for me, but I did like it.
    Ellenisia - Like floral overload on me. Pretty strong projection.
    Artemisia - Opens fruity and floral, rather sweet but delicious smelling; almost cotton candy, almost bubble gum, not quite either. Drydown goes sweet/powdery, but neither to an extreme; maintains some fruitiness throughout. I think I'd love this on a young lady.
    Castile - I had high hopes for Castile, but I wasn't a fan. It started off nice, with a great citrus note, but then... In industrial arts, we had this granulated soap, and I think it must have had orange blossom in it. I've had this experience with John Varvatos' Artisan as well, where the orange blossom just turns to soap on me. Not like light soap, but like I forgot to rinse my hands after building a sheet metal toolbox, and it actually makes me feel a little MORE dirty. This soap note completely dominates most of Castile's duration, and kind of ruins the nice opening for me. I think it's a body chemistry thing.

My overall impression is one of quality, natural-smelling ingredients, and true British tenacity in terms of longevity. It was a really interesting experience for me to "have" to try all these scents, and I was exposed to new ideas and notes, and expanded my knowledge of my own tastes quite a bit.

I think that wraps it up. Something else for you to chew on this Thanksgiving. Thanks a ton to 30 Roses for putting this all together. And thanks to PerfumedLady for corresponding with me throughout the process (both her sampling and my own); I appreciate your encouragement.

Al Gae -- thank you for finding time and posting your impressions. Blenheim Bouquet was my favorite too, for slightly different reasons and I am an older (?) female, but nontheless. Hint: for fresh, subdued and realistic lavender -- do yourself a favor and sniff Eau de Cartier when/if you have a chance -- indispensable during hot and humid summers and relatively affordable in terms of price.

LP#9 was a huge disappointment too.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your well thought out post, Al!

Off to cook the mushrooms.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    Lavandula - Fresh, true, occasionally transparent, Lavender.
    Lilly of the Valley - I don't know what Lilly of the Valley really smells like. I'll seek some out in the flower district at some point. I do know that this was a really nice, crisp, fresh floral. Quite linear, decent longevity. Quite floral, but fresh and not overbearing in my opinion. Too feminine for me, but I did like it.
    Al Gae brings up a couple of great points here-one of the few things I'm as obsessed with as I am fragrance is botany and I grow many varieties of plants here on my property.Lavender stays fairly evergreen for me in the Indiana climate,so even though we were into fall for my testing,I was able to compare the scents to the plants.Lavandula and Blenheim Bouquet do indeed have very true lavender notes,something I don't find to be the case very often.Lavender in perfumery tends to be very soapy,while the real thing is sweet,earthy and yes,it has a transparency to it.Penhaligon's gets lavender right.
    Lily of the Valley only blooms in spring,so I was not able to do a side by side comparison.However,this one instantly transported me to my little patch in cool,moist spring air,cutting both leaves and flowers for my indoor bouquets.It really does a beautiful job of capturing the potent sweetness of the little white flowers along with the deep green waxy leaves that pop up out the ground so prolifically that you can't help but smell them along with the flowers.I don't wear white florals as well as I used to but this one makes me wish I could.
    Al Gae,you're welcome and thank YOU!It has been a joy to experience your revelations with you.And that's a heck of a nose you've got,in my opinion!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 25th November 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Posted package #1 on to coopmom with Delivery confirmation today.

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    Posted package #1 on to coopmom with Delivery confirmation today.
    Received bookwyrmsmith's package yesterday. Tonight, I have Amarinthine on one wrist and Violetta on the other.

Amaranthine has a banana note that I'm having a hard time with. I don't do white florals very well in general, but that banana is tough. If it hasn't faded by the time I go to bed, it'll be a scrubber.

Violetta, on the other hand, (ha. Literally.) is a sweet green confection that is very pleasing. Not a lot going on so far as far as development from the initial violet fragrance, but I'm not sure it needs to do anything else. It is lasting well, though.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Blog Entries

I began sampling today. I am hopefully at the end of my flu and can now begin to smell things again. Tried Violetta today. Now, I ave to admit that I like violet in fragrance so, with that said, I found violetta quite pleasant if linear. The violet seems a little synthetic. This is not a complex fragrance. While I enjoyed it I am not sure I would put it on my acquisition list. More on the other samples later.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Ah, good-- glad to see groups 1 and 3 are making progress.

Have group 2 and group 4 boxes been sent on to jdmba and Force of One yet?

Blog Entries

OK, Now that my cold is over and I can once again smell the roses (LOL) I am sampling today Castile and Lily of the Valley. First I tried Castile. I am normally not a citrus fan, but I found Castile to be a very pleasant citrus like a high end soap and even experienced a slight remembrance of Linden. Castile is a clean fragrance that quite surprised me. I would not mind owning this fragrance for summer. Lily of the Valley did not work on my skin. I encountered a musty quality that is off-putting for me and the rendering seems chemical-like rather than floral so, Castile gets a thumbs up (three Tesla stars) whilst Lily of the Valley gets a thumbs down.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thank you, N_Tesla. I didn't care for their Lily of the Valley either.

Groups 2 and 4 have been silent for a long time. Are the boxes lost? Who has them?

Roses, I have the box of Group 2. Honestly, I cannot commit to the sniffing so I am sending on the box to the next participant soon, including a sample of an Ineke scent (Gilded Lily) and my samples of the Arsene Lupin duo.

I have too much in my life at present and only sniffed a few Penhaligon's, sadly.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Primrose, I can send them along to you at the end of the line, after they come back to me. Maybe you'll have more time for it then.

Hillaire

I mailed '4' to Force_of_One on November 8th.

Thanks again, 30 Roses, for the opportunity to smell all those. Much appreciated.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm waiting to hear back from Force of One as to whether he ever got the box, and for that matter, if he sent it on to Sculpture of Soul.

If the box is lost we'll do a bit of rearranging of the groups so everyone can still try all the perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Primrose, I can send them along to you at the end of the line, after they come back to me. Maybe you'll have more time for it then.
    Thank you, Roses. I am in over my head.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I just heard from Force of One. He's going to be sending the package on to kbe this week.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 30th December 2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: change of shipping order

Group 1's box will go in the mail to Suz894 tomorrow. Sorry, due to Christmas, etc. I've kept it a little longer than my alloted 20 days.

30 R, thanks again for the opportunity. I absolutely loved LP no. 9, Bluebelle, and Castile. I will probably be on the lookout for decants of these, at the very least! The rest of the scents were very nice, seemed to be of high quality, but these 3 were my faves.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Force of One has just mailed group 4's box to kbe.

Suze894 tells me she received Group #1's box today. Next!

Hi all,

I just signed up for another 30 Roses' sample swap, and now I'm feeling a little guilty, such that I'm a bit inspired to see if I can put together a sample swap myself in the near future, give back a little bit. As a bit of a newbie I don't really have any stellar relationships with SA's, but I can be pretty persuasive.

In order to give me some numerical ammunition, I was hoping we could kind of keep track of how many bottle purchases were made as a result of this sampling. For example, I don't think I'll be purchasing any from the ones we tried (on the fence with BB), but I've since made it my mission to cover most of Penhaligon's line, and I've now got 2 full bottles at the top of my whishlist. I attribute those bottles to this sampling, as my exploration of the line was completely inspired by the swap.

Actually, it shouldn't be hard to get a bundle of samples donated for such a swap. Basenoters are definitely the target market for these samples, and putting together a swap virtually guarantees that the samples will find their target. If I can tell an SA (or more likely a higher up company rep) that last time I was involved in a swap it generated the sale of 10 new bottles, I think that's a compelling reason to pitch in.

I'd appreciate any input from y'all. Perhaps we can get some numbers like this on some of 30 Roses other swaps (I know a recent Malle swap generated some bottle purchases), and use them as well. Thanks!
    Bueno!
    Al Gae

Al,I do still plan to purchase Victorian Posy based on this sampling group.I've just been putting my fragrance dollars toward more cold weather friendly scents lately.That one will be calling my name for summer!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I love the idea of other members starting sampling groups!

For me the primary purpose in starting these is to give more of us the chance to smell and discuss perfumes that we might not otherwise have had the chance to, given how hard to find many fragrances are, and how much it costs to buy samples from TPC, Luckyscent etc. (It does add up!)

I think sampling is bound to result in some purchases, whether now or down the line a bit (many of us need to save for our splurges). If we find a new perfume to love, wonderful! If all it accomplishes is to scratch that mental itch that we feel when we are curious about a perfume, that is good too!

If enough of these groups form, maybe we can ask Grant about our own little forum for sampling groups.