Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Official Penhaligon's Samples Swap Discussion Thread

Personally I bought two bottles of Elizabethan Rose .The first was a older bottle and the topnotes had pretty much gone leaving a dried rosepetal and fresh rose leaves kind of scent.My second win was a newer standard ER.
    I plan to buy most of the men's ones (Castile,Verveine,Douros,Blenhiem Bouquet,English Fern) as well as Ameranthine,Bluebell and maybe Victorian Posy maybe possibly Lily of the Valley .The other feminines didn't really speak to me.

I will probably do some sample passes in the near future,1.Classic Chypres; 2.Chanels,3.? . But it will probably be in February .

Blenheim Bouquet bought!!!! $3.99 on ebay seller listed it as a aftershave (which it is) under Health & Beauty -shaving supplies-balms,lotions,sprays -which it isn't exactly.
    Seller is from Vegas -I hope the citrus hasn't turned! Unsure as to what size it is the picture wasn't very clear.It could be a 1/4 filled 5ml or a 2/3 full 30ml.
    At least with all the snow and cold weather I don't have to be concerned about extreme heat damaging the lemon notes!
    Last edited by bookwyrmsmith; 11th January 2011 at 05:42 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I received Force of One's package of Group #4 samples on Thursday. I have yet to open it as I have had a terrible head cold for the past week and I do not want to contaminate the sample vials with anything catchable. I am still partially anosmic. I was able to get a few notes out of my SOTD R de Capucci but I am not ready to evaluate any samples yet. Hopefully by next week I will be recovered and will be able to fully sniff with some recognition!
    Last edited by kbe; 15th January 2011 at 04:45 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I am trying to get a hold of jdnba, but his PM box is full. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him? I don't want to send a box if he is not at home.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Primrose,

Jdnba has not been on BN for over a week. I left him a visitor message at the end of December asking him to contact you and assumed he had.

I think at this point it makes sense to skip him (at least temporarily) and go on to KDM who would have been next. I have asked KDM to message you with a mailing address.

See, 30R., your example is inspiring -- now J. bookwyrmsmith is having a sample pass around on her agenda. Sounds good with both Chanels and Chypres, doesn't it?

Great news.

Blog Entries

It's not all that much work setting up a group, if the number of members isn't huge (well, this one was big! But usually they aren't.)

And then once you mail the package out, you don't have to do much of anything-- just sit back and enjoy reading the reviews. I think anyone who has a few samples to share should by all means "go for it"-- it's actually fun!

Blog Entries

I'm giving the thread a bump in the hope that someone will post whatever thoughts they may have about the samples. Our thread has gone quiet.

I had an inquiry today from a member and it caused me to review the location of the boxes.

Group 1: Suz894 should ship her box to weegee in the coming week (has had it since 1/3/11)
    Group 2: KDM should either have the box now or be receiving it very shortly
    Group 3: I think warum has the box?
    Group 4: I believe kbe has the box?

Just a polite reminder to everyone to please observe the 20 day limit so other members can test them too.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Nope, I actually don't have the box, I believe N_Tesla does.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Group #4--Penhaligon Eau de Verveine

Top Notes:Lime, Lemon, Petitgrain, Bergamot, Coriander, Clary Sage, Armoise
    Middle Notes:Clove, Lavender
    Base Notes: Musk, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Placement: Back of left hand

Amount: 5 dips/swipes from sample vial via applicator

Time worn: 2hr 20min

After an initial blast of sharp green accord that sillages nicely but lasts just a few minutes until a much more subtle sage phase arises, the green virtually disappears. This phase is also reminiscent of the wood of a freshly shaved pencil (cedar wood) and almost reticent it is so laid back.

Within 45 minutes of application a hint of vanilla and cedar wood is all that is left. Not exactly a stellar performer. If you are into explosive green then Bowling Green would be a longer lasting and far less expensive choice.

Assessment: Blah. I give it an overall neutral that borders on a negative. The initial green blast is nice enough but is like watching lightning--gone in the olfactory equivalent of a flash. The rest of the trip is ho-hum. Not one I would buy or even keep if gifted.

Group #4--Penhaligon Elixir

Top Notes: Eucalyptus, Cardamom, Orange Blossom Absolute and White Cedar
    Middle Notes: Red Turkish Rose Absolute, Egyptian Jasmine Absolute, Cinnamon Leaves, Mace and Rosewood
    Base Notes: Benzoin, Tonka beans, Vanilla, Incense, Red Sandalwood and Guaicum Wood

Placement: Back of right hand

Amount: 2 half spritzes from a small decant

Time worn: 2hr 10min

The opening eucalyptus/mint reminds me of the nose of a particular wine I once tasted. It was a bottle of 1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet, but without the fruit the wine displayed. I detected a bit of mace also. The overall opening effect is one of a well crafted fragrance in the Penhaligon tradition, not totally unlike their Hammam Bouquet, and invites continuous sniffing..it is that good!.

Middle notes continue the eucalyptus/mint framework adding a rose floral note with a muted cinnamon present as if braided skillfully throughout.

Basenotes include a gentle slide into Tonka, Sandalwood and an intriguing background of incense. Again, all notes are carried along by the opening Eucalyptus/mint. Strangely now the captivating Eucalyptus/mint radiance that carries all the other notes is experienced as much in memory as in the fragrance itself and I have to re-sniff closely to distinguish it.

Assessment: Beautiful. Enchanting. Mesmerizing. I fell in love with this scent a few seconds after I spritzed it for the first time this morning. The love story is continuing as I continue to sniff its development. Definitely Bottle Worthy. This is one Penhaligon fragrance I will add to my wardrobe in the future.
    Last edited by kbe; 22nd January 2011 at 06:27 PM.

KDM, if you read this and you have the box for Group #2, please don't forget me!!

I am still patiently waiting.....
    "The radical of one century is the conservative of the next." Mark Twain

Primrose PMed and said they would be mailed this week. Hang in there Mary you're not forgotten

Blog Entries

Primrose mailed the package today, KDM. After you, please send to MsMaryO.

This is the revised order for your group:

Group 2-- 28 samples

1. Twolf
    2. Primrose (* was unable to test at this time, passed it along but will get the samples again later)
    3. KDM
    4. MsMaryO
    5. cbstarker
    6. jdnba
    7. *back to Primrose via 30 Roses; if samples are insufficient by this time I will augment them from other boxes that will have been sent back to me by then.

I received the box today and will forward promptly......wearing Douro now, the citrus was quite fleeting, 30 mins. in the sandalwood really takes over.....nice, warm, woody, not too dry, some might say old school...I say gentlemans fragrance. I could see myself wearing this to the office....as a matter of fact tomorrow I will.

Box #1 (I think that's what number we were) is on it's way to Weegee.

I would like to join 30R's post #68 -- please observe the three week limit.

Blog Entries

Weegee got the box!

I'm dazzled by the variety! After doing a "greedy little monkey" dab from at least 10 vials -- my cats avoided me for a couple of hours -- there's something that's puzzling me....

Having discovering the Demeter Fragrance Library a couple of years ago and been delighted by so many "reference" fragrance moments (Salt Air, Paperback, Bonfire, Christmas in New York) I can't help but compare some of these Penhaligons to Demeters. Elizabethan Rose, for example, although undeniably lovely, could be Demeter's Wet Garden oversprayed with any of a dozen rose fragrances I already own. And Bluebell, which might have been a stunner in 1978, seems an accurate soliflore jazzed up with just enough clove to make it a tame precursor of Jungle Elephant. Castille is a barbershop my father took me to fifty years ago...a warm trip down memory lane yes, but a room scent, not a skin scent.

My question is: Would the Penhaligons seem more interesting to me (or anyone else) if I were just beginning to "sniff around"?

Blog Entries

N_Tesla tell me he will be mailing the box to warum about Feb.1st.

weegee, interesting observations! I've only tried a few of the Demeters but now I am curious.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I will be mailing Sample Pack #4 to archelon on Monday or Tuesday. (I bought a vintage bottle of Douro based on the teriffic notes of the Douro sample I wore this week--its already on the way from Great Britain to south Florida! ::rubs hands greedily:.

Quote Originally Posted by weegee View Post
    My question is: Would the Penhaligons seem more interesting to me (or anyone else) if I were just beginning to "sniff around"?
    This is a funny way to word that question... I'm a fair newbie to sniffin' around, and I found the sample pack to be ridiculously interesting. Not having experienced any Demeter scents to this point, I don't have a reference for the similarity of them with the Penhaligon's. When I got the box I had been mainly focused on quite masculine scents, so just the variety of fragrances in the sampler box was quite enlightening to me! Also, my foray into the niche world was still beginning, and compared to most of the designer frags I'd tried, the quality of the Penhaligon's was also surprising; both in terms of longevity and accuracy of notes.

As I've continued my foray into the fragrant world, I've continued exploring Penhaligon's, and still I find most of them interesting and just plain good, IMO. Enjoy the rest of your sampling!

Blog Entries

N_Tesla informs me the package is on its way to warum!

mailed samples to MsMaryO this A.M.

Blog Entries

Got the package, it arrived in perfect shape, everything's intact!

Unfortnately, I was darting out the door when I got the mail, so I only have time to open the box -- happy to report everything's fine -- but the testing will start on Wednesday when I am back home.

I received the box for Group #2 today! Woohoo...

I won't be sampling today but probably over the weekend. Does anyone have any tips on how they would go about sampling so many different scents? I was thinking I would just do 2 at a time, one on each wrist. I don't think I can give a scent a fair shake if I try to really load them up like on the inside of the elbow and the back of the hand AND inside the wrist.

I will obey the 3 week rule and anticipate a much quicker turn around than that. Be on the lookout, cbstarker...

Blog Entries

MsMaryO,

Your box has 15 different fragrances (some have 16); really you could just wear one per day, wherever you normally apply fragrance (for me, that's chest)

But if you prefer wrists, I probably wouldn't exceed 2 at a time; the way you described would work. However I find that I don't get a true sense of how a fragrance would wear if I don't apply it to chest, under clothing; usually it lasts longer and develops a little differently that way.

Yes, 30R, I agree that the warmth helps my scents develop when I wear under my clothing. I also catch myself lifting my shirt and sniffing through out the day and I fear I will get caught and taken for some wierd sniffer...ala Molly Shannon's Mary Catherine Gallagher character from SNL.

here's my quick review of Ellenisia...it's so beautiful!

Ellenisia

ELLENISIA is like a clear morning in spring still clinging to winter’s chill. (LOTR fans should get that reference.) Sometimes violet can make me sad, as in Apres L'Ondee, but not Ellenisia. It stays green and upbeat, all the way through. It's slightly green opening is surprisingly similar to AL'O but without the anise. Although I love AL’O, I think I would prefer Ellenisia as it must be the anise in the opening that seems to pull my mood down.

I can close my eyes and see the first green shoots poking through the gray cold earth - one of my most beloved harbingers of spring. The jasmine, gardenia and tuberose all play so nicely together that no one stands out in a harsh or headache-inducing way, making it a white floral that some white floral-haters might be able to wear. Dry down is a pretty violet and plum, although it could be a little woodier. Vanilla is around just to give a little depth, not noticeable as vanilla.

Moderate sillage and excellent longevity, going on 6 hours and it is still going strong. Perfect spring scent!!

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention it but box 4 is with Archelon as of Feb. 3.

Blog Entries

MsMaryO, (or anyone who knows), what is LOTR?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Lord of the Rings perhaps:

A line from LOTR: The Two Towers (film)

Gríma: [To Éowyn] Oh, but you are alone. Who knows what you've spoken to the darkness, in the bitter watches of the night... when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you... a hutch to trammel some wild thing in. So fair. So cold. Like a morning of pale spring still clinging to winter's chill.

Thanks, kbe! I knew I didn't get that quote exactly as I was going from memory, but I have always loved it for it's descriptiveness. Makes me see shades of gray and lavender with small hits of bright green...and Ellenisia, too!

So, I also sampled LP No. 9 yesterday and here are my thoughts on that one:

LP No. 9

This came across on my skin as quite masculine. I do love a spicy oriental, but this one doesn't work for me. The cedar - and I would swear there's sandalwood in the base, too - is just too manly. It has some extreme longevity - 24 hours after applying I could still detect it on my wrist. Has some powerful sillage, too. All day, I kept getting whiffs of it that made me feel as if I had just been very close -- intimately close -- to a man wearing a very sexy, spicy cologne. It's sexy but for all the wrong reasons. And if I'm gonna smell like that, I'd prefer the real thing. Give me a man wearing Fahrenheit...please.

And the ones I've tested this morning:

Violetta

This one came in my box as a spray decant. I got a HUGE squirt, much more than I would have liked. The initial blast came off as very chemical, probably due to the over-spray. After 1/2 hour or so it has quieted down immensely and now it's there but is staying pretty close. Maybe it's a natural violet smell, but to me it still seems artificial if I sniff it too closely. I loved the violet leaf in Ellenisia so maybe I am really not fond of the flower...

Amaranthine

Opening is green - tea and banana leaf. It warms up a bit and then, poof!...gone from my skin, except for a wierd note that's not agreeing with me.

Victorian Posy

I shouldn't really try to test 3 at a time, but here goes: Opens up very British - tea and crumpets at the Empress Hotel,anyone? (Okay, that's Canadian, but I've never been to London) - but it warms up with a spicy note that reminds me of vintage Ungaro Diva or Fendi. Strange journey for this one....

So far, my love is for Ellenisia. I WILL be getting a bottle of that one.

Blog Entries

I am testing away!

Bluebell -- this works lovely on me. I tried it on and got galbanum right away, but not a huge concentrated blast of it, fortunately, as that can be unpleasant to my nose, but a bubbly greenish mix. Then hyacinths. Then I was worried about what's coming next, since I heard that this fragrance can be a clove bomb on many, so I was sniffing my arm and couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I smelled something rosy coming from my chest. Oh, that's a one in a list of notes that I overlooked! It ended up drying into a beautiful rose, maybe with a touch of cloves for spice. Possibly, this rose is still embedded into a bouquet of hyacinths. I will need to test it again, but don't worry, folks, there will be plenty left for you. One sample is still untouched.

Elixir -- meow, meow, this is love from the first and one spritz! I could roll in this yummy incense stuff. I want a FB right away to spray with abandon both on me and my husband. (Yes, when I get to buying a FB, I will make a separate post here to keep the count). I would love to test it more, but I will restrain since the spray samples go faster than the dab vials. But now I know to search for a small decant of it to wear. This is adorable. Right on my wishlist it went. How glad I am that I decided to sign up for the group with Elixir.

LP #9 -- this one's a strike. I can only conclude that there's something about this skin and/or this nose (thanks, TWolf, love this phrase) that transforms some good perfumes into some lesser ones. For instance, I am so jealous, because I wanted to wear and love L'Or de Torrente, coffe and rose, what's there not to like?? Nope, doesn't work for me. Nor does gorgeous Beige. Nor -- gasp! -- OJ Ta'if. Nor did Cacharel Noa. All these have something synthetic and screechy when I put them on. And I know these are wonderful fragrances!
    Since I am not able to say anything smart about this one, I thought I'd like to share the NST review of it that was posted -- coincidentally -- today:
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2011/02/12...erfume-review/

I will be posting more 3-4 reviews per time. Dear 30 Roses, I am -- again -- thanking you for this opportunity. When would I have gotten to trying Penhaligon's on my own? And now I know that this line can be quite gorgeous on me, as I can see getting 2 bottles already... what comes around the corner????

Oh, and thanks, kbe! I was trying to figure out perfume references, and couldn't! lol

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Official Penhaligon's Samples Swap Discussion Thread

Of the samples tested I was most impressed with Castille and Artemesia. I am not much of a citrus fan, but Catille is very nice indeed and Artemesia is almost narcotic in its beauty. I sniffed the back of my hand constantly, a little soap-like and calmingly mellow.

Blog Entries

I have a question to those of you who tested the fragrances already: which ones of them, in your personal opinion, are better for sunny days/warmer weather and which are better for rainy days/colder weather?

Thank you!

I really enjoyed Bluebell,Warum,even though it sort of threw me for a loop also until I sampled a second time!I think it could work anytime,really but I'm thinking rainy spring days would suit it exceptionally well.The one I'm saving for,Victorian Posy,is one scent I think I will use a lot in the spring and summer,especially for evening.I think Elixir could be a year rounder-for a spicy oriental it has the most wonderful sheer and airy quality.I think you could at least get away with it for summer evenings.I wouldn't mind a bottle of Artemisia for myself for fall and winter eventually.Blenheim Bouquet and Castile got classified in my mind as perfect heat of summer refresher scents;Lavandula would be great for that,too but with the tonka in the base I think I could enjoy that one in winter as well.I have no idea why my mind classifies scents by season,I do think we should all wear what we want whenever we want.I guess I'm just seasonally minded-I decorate my house and rotate my clothing wardrobe by season and with our veggie garden,even the foods we eat at our house are dictated by season quite a bit.Those of us who live in climates that get the four seasons are lucky,I think-it gives us another angle from which to obsess over our fragrance wardrobes!Oh,and two more that my nose interpreted as very winter-y:Amaranthine and Douro(which I LOVED,though it's far too masculine for me to wear).
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

I am seasonally minded as well, so that's why I asked. Thanks!

Blog Entries

For anyone who was wanting to buy a Penhaligon's, I see there is a thread in the coupons and discounts forum with a 15% discount code for MiN New York, which sells Penhaligon's; good through the 28th:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/271...91#post2089191

Here is MiN's Penhaligon's section:
    https://minnewyork.com/fragrances.ht...%20DI%20PARMA*

The Box for Group #2 is on its way to CBStarker.

I have to say out of all of them my three favorites were:

#1 - Ellenisia
    #2 - Amaranthine
    #3 - Castille

This was fun!

Blog Entries

Artemisia did not work for me. I got wet paint smell. Several of them gave me that wet paint smell, including English Fern, which smelled lovely on my husband, but wet paint on me.

Victorial Posy -- I will need to retest it side by side with Bluebell. Do they have the same hyacinths? Anyway, I do like those hyacinths and need to decide which ones I like better. Yes, I got enough juice to test twice

Amarinthine -- ooops. It does have freesia, so the whole composition goes out of whack on me. Sorry, Amatinthine, sorry, Beige, it's a pity that it works like that.

Lily of the Valley -- it's lily of the valley that firsts smells very chemical and then cools down and smells nicer and more natural, like a lily of the valley soliflore. Some of you know that this was my first fragrance, so this is a passed phase for me

Elizabethan Rose -- I was hoping for more development there.

Violetta -- it's almost a violet leaf soliflore. It's one of the rare violet leafs that I actually could wear, that is, it doesn't wreak havoc on my skin, but the fragrance is not my style.

Eau de Verveine -- argh! no verbena here in this sample for me, but some chocolaty musk. That's a strike for sure.

Castille -- wet paint first, not too sweet orange custard next. I see that this fragrance is loved by many, I wonder what's in it gives me that paint note.

Blenheim Bouquet! I really liked this one! It's sparkly citrus aura is so happy, it can be an Annick Goutal fragrance. Lavender and lemon. I was afraid to try it because of lavender -- but it ended up being one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Victorial Posy -- I will need to retest it side by side with Bluebell. Do they have the same hyacinths? Anyway, I do like those hyacinths and need to decide which ones I like better. Yes, I got enough juice to test twice
    Yes,I'm pretty sure they do share those hyacinths and I also picked up on something similar in their bases,maybe labdanum?I had intended to buy Victorian Posy but all the websites that carry it have it listed as "sold out" and Penhaligon's site doesn't list it at all anymore(they did used to).I will be crushed if this is being discontinued but will gladly settle for a bottle of Bluebell as I felt they were in fact very similar.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

PerfumedLady,

I just called the Yale Center for British Art gift shop and talked to the lady who provided all the samples. She checked for me and told me they have a 50 ml bottle of Victorian Posy in stock. It is $80 plus the cost of UPS shipping to you, but no tax because being shipped out of state.

Here is the phone number, if you choose to order: (203) 432-2828

Blog Entries

We have suddenly made plans to go to the museum this afternoon to see the newest exhibit of the works of regency painter Thomas Lawrence, and I plan to stop in and see the gift shop, smell a few of the fragrances myself, and tell the sales associate who supplied the samples how we are progressing.

EDIT: The friendly SA who was at the museum gift shop today allowed me to take a bunch of additional samples (however, there are fewer fragrances, none different from what was already in the 4 sampling group boxes, and no more Elixer for the two groups that missed out.) I need to think about the best way to share these and will post when I do.

Archelon tells me box 4 is with SculptureofSoul
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 28th February 2011 at 01:26 AM.

Box is going out tomorrow (Feb 28) to portzblitz in Minnesota. Wicked allergies stole 2 weeks of sniffing from me & I really wanted to give these beauties a fair shake/sniff. I'm grateful to have been a part of this and had a wonderful time sampling fragrances I wouldn't have encountered otherwise

Blog Entries

Okay, I have extra samples of Lavandula, English Fern, Ellenisia, Castile, Blenheim Bouquet, Lily of the Valley and Artemisia. If these are running low in any of the boxes, please let me know so I can send along a spare sample.

Group 3 only had one sample of Blenheim Bouquet in its box to start with; I will send Warum another sample to add to the box. Warum, please let me know if any of the others are low.

Blog Entries

They're not low, thanks! I have just checked. I will be ready to mail the pack to the next person as soon as I get the address.

Blog Entries

And I will send the extra Blenheim Bouquet sample to Andrewthecologneguy as soon as I have his address (since that box only had one to begin with, unlike the others.)

Blog Entries

I hope Andrewthecologneguy will send the address to me soon, since I am leaving to GA on March 4th, will be back on the 11th. I am depending on his address to be able to send the package forward before I leave. Want to kick myself for not asking about it earlier...

Blog Entries

The box of Penhaligon's is on its way to Andrew, first class with delivery confirmation, and the estimated date of arrival is March 7th.
    I updated the quantities of the samples in the packing slip provided by 30 Roses.

Blog Entries

And I sent an additional sample of Blenheim Bouquet to Andrewthecologneguy today, to add to the box he is getting from Warum, since that box only had one of those to begin with.

I'm waiting to hear from portzblitz and cbstarker as to whether their boxes need to be topped off with any of the extra samples I received. After I know that, I can decide what to do with the additional samples.

Edit: cbstarker has the box now and it did not need any additional samples. Still waiting to hear from portzblitz.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th March 2011 at 05:51 AM.

The delivery confirmation number for the box I mailed to portzlitz on Feb 28, shows it was delivered yesterday evening, March 2. Since most of the fragrances seemed so "female" to me, I included a couple of spray decants of men's fragrances for portzblitz from my own collection so he wouldn't feel as if he'd got the short end of the stick. I didn't forward any vials that had less than 1/4" of juice remaining (unless, like the Violetta spray vial, it was the only vial left to represent the fragrance) and I used a smaller box because the original had become pretty badly beaten up by the time it reached me.

Since most of the fragrances seemed so "female" to me, I included a couple of spray decants of men's fragrances for portzblitz from my own collection so he wouldn't feel as if he'd got the short end of the stick.
    This is why basenotes is awesome...

I thought it was great having the chance to try out so many feminine fragrances - mostly because I love to expand my palette, and because I seldom go out looking to sample in the ladies' section. I'm quickly learning that I really enjoy wearing many florals and my taste preferences are "softening" a little bit as I sample more; Violetta and her sisters are a big reason I felt comfortable (nay, compelled) to experiment more with floral scents!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    This is why basenotes is awesome...

I thought it was great having the chance to try out so many feminine fragrances - mostly because I love to expand my palette, and because I seldom go out looking to sample in the ladies' section. I'm quickly learning that I really enjoy wearing many florals and my taste preferences are "softening" a little bit as I sample more; Violetta and her sisters are a big reason I felt comfortable (nay, compelled) to experiment more with floral scents!
    Yes, a thousand yes to that!
    same to me. I know most BNers are not, but I am a little gender bound and rarely smell the fragrances marketed as men's. It foes not happen because of any preconceived ideas but from experience only -- I have tried a couple of men's fragrances and found them not my style at all. Because of BN I moved into those marketed for both men and women, and found many loves there, but in this package I found a LOVE, and it's listed as a masculine -- Blenheim Bouquet. It's very much my style! So now I have a very positive experience with fragrances marketed for men, thanks to 30 Roses and the British Cultural Center store.

BTW, I will write a little more about the pack and my final impressions of it when I have a chance.

Since most of the fragrances seemed so "female" to me, I included a couple of spray decants of men's fragrances for portzblitz from my own collection so he wouldn't feel as if he'd got the short end of the stick. I didn't forward any vials that had less than 1/4" of juice remaining (unless, like the Violetta spray vial, it was the only vial left to represent the fragrance) and I used a smaller box because the original had become pretty badly beaten up by the time it reached me.
    Weegee, you are such a kind and thoughtful parfumista!!

I was actually very surprised that there was so much left in the vials in my box. I would say all of them were almost full!

Blog Entries

I have a toddler-free minute, so I will take a moment to post my thoughts about Penhaligon's after I tested every sample in the box.

But first, Andrew, did you get the box? I sure hope so! Since I didn't get a PM and you had a conf # I figured everything's fine.

So, Penhaligon's was a great experience for me! I found that in my opinion the lighter scents for every season is what they do best. My favorites are: Elixir (would be lovely for a cool autumn), Bluebell (sings Spring Spring Spring to me; I wore it on a day when my kitty was really sick, but I still love it), Victorian Posy (another good one for Spring or Summer maybe) and a definite favorite for Summer -- Blenheim Bouquet. It's cheery and bright, and I immediately thought of Annick Goutal's fragrances. They have a similar vibe for me. Absolutely lovely.

The soliflores did not impress me to the same degree, although they were very nice. I can see much love for green refreshing restrained violetta.

I did not like the ones that are supposed to be more opulent, on almost all of them I got wet paint, a strange note which I never got on my skin before. Sounds like there's a house signature that went wrong. But 4 likes of which I would gladly accepted 3 bottles as a gift is a great result! I asked Penhaligon's for samples of these favorites and will give them more wears before buying (I am on the "finish the sample first" rule). By the way, if I get any other samples, I will see if I can extend the sampling circle and maybe have it run in one more time!

YES!!! Yipee! Got it today after another 12+ hour work day. 'Twas a delight indeed! Firtst thing I tried was Castile...immediate impression: this must be what John Varvatos Artisan is supposed to smell like. Like it better because it does not smell so artificial, but still a bit too soapy for me. Would be better in an EdP me thinks.

I've got a set of Czech and Speake samples if anyone is interested in doing a group sniff with that.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post

I've got a set of Czech and Speake samples if anyone is interested in doing a group sniff with that.
    Whoa, that's exciting!
    I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    That IS exciting! I'd like in if you've got space. I've tried a few already, so perhaps I won't need too long to try out the rest. What's in the group?

Al Gae and Warum:

Cool! I did not think anyone would be interested. I have a set from C&S as mentioned and I have a few from Floris.

C&S:
    Rose
    Dark Rose
    Mimosa
    Frankincense and Myrrh
    No. 88
    Oxford& Cambridge
    Neroli
    Cuba
    Paradisi

Floris:
    Cefiro
    Seringa
    Lilly of the Valley
    White Rose
    Santal
    Elite
    Fleur
    China Rose
    Night Scented Jasmine
    J.F.
    Edwardian Bouquet

Let's do this...I'll send one to Al and the other to Warum and then after a month you swap then send it back a month later. Let me know who wants what first.

Cheers!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I'd love to try them too if possible? I couldn't respond earlier as I was having issues logging in.

I'd certainly be up for the C&S / Floris group!

BTW, in anticipation for the Penhaligon samples, I pulled out two samples that I already have - Malabab and Elixir. I wore Malabab last night (wrote up my thoughts in the Sample of the Day thread). A wonderful tea scent with a great lemon note. Light, airy, with sandalwood/musk drydown. Wow, this should be fun. I've never really thought much about Penhaligon's fragrances, as in I forgot about them, and have not sought out samples before. I was wrong! Off to a great start!