Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Official Penhaligon's Samples Swap Discussion Thread

Just a few very small scribbles, and bookwrymsmith's own address.
    I tried to be methodical, and tick off the fragrances I had tried...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

No problem, new list will be on its way now I have bookwyrmsmith's address!

Group #1 Package arrived safely late this afternoon .Tried Bluebell -Love! FBW(I think I'm gonna be in trouble )Amaranthine -High like /decant worthy possibly FBW.Will report back on others later .
    Thank you 30 Roses for this opportunity!
    Currently wearing: Walk On Air by Kate Spade

Basenotes Institution

Group #2 package was mailed out Priority with delivery Confirmation on Friday morning (Nov.12). Waiting for Primrose to confirm the receipt.

Basenotes Institution

Bumpity-bump, just in case people would not know where to post their impressions.

Primrose informed me that she had received Package #2 on the 15th.

Basenotes Institution

Is anyone trying anything at all?
    Next week some of the packages should be mailed out to recipient #3 in your groups.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Twolf, I suspect everyone is busy preparing for good ol' Turkey Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Bumpity-bump, just in case people would not know where to post their impressions.

Primrose informed me that she had received Package #2 on the 15th.
    I am trying and will forward on to my next person next week. So many samples and NO Sartorial...
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Hi everybody! Didn't want to flood the thread, so I've been waiting until I was complete with the samples to post my impressions all at once. I finished up this week, patched up the box, and shipped it off to N_Tesla, recipient #3 today.

As a disclaimer to the following reviews, please note that I've got a fairly young nose. I'm still figuring out what I like and learning how to pick notes out of compositions. Also, until this box arrived, I'd never really tried out many floral, feminine fragrances. So, I had an interesting time figuring out exactly what I thought of some of these. So, here we go!

Elixer - I really liked the opening on this one, it really pops in the opening (the eucalyptus steam?). And I liked the rose in the heart, but there's something in the drydown - the soft woods mingling with the incense I think - that didn't really agree with me. It was certainly tenacious though, lasting well past my 8-hour workday.
    Violetta - I put this on in the evening, and my room-mate told me "you smell like Green Tea" when I strolled into the living room. So, obviously great sillage. I definitely get a little bit of a green tea vibe in the opening. I also liked the rich violet heart; very true, slightly watery, pure violet. I find it gets a little "dusty" towards the end. Overall I thought it was a nice scent, but a little flowery for me.
    Blenheim Boquet - Opens up really fresh and kind of minty, a very different take on herbal freshness than I'm used to. A lavender note creeps in that I actually like; frequently lavender on me smells like a sweet licorice(yuck), but this was a more subdued, more true lavender. The pine scent is nice, not wet, sappy pine, but more of a drier pine log scent, and is refreshing throughout the day. It has very good longevity on me (8+ hrs). I liked this one enough to try it twice, it was probably my favorite out of the bunch.
    Eau de Verveine - Opened nice, but disappeared on me within about 15 minutes! I've never been asnomic to anything, but perhaps I am to this... Smelled vague hints of cinnamon throughout the day, that's it.
    LP#9 - Sweet and flowery. Smells like a mainstream marketed towards younger women.
    Victorian Posey - This was a very dense floral, definitely too dense for me to pick apart. Like a floral garden. Nice, not old lady, but definitely very feminine.
    Amaranthine - Ummm, I think I really like this one. Opens strong, green and spicy; delightful. Dries down to a very lovely tonka-musc, which smells pretty great on me. Just powdery enough to be quite feminine; I could almost wear this one. I could see myself getting this for a SO, just to use a little every now and then...
    English Fern - Very ferny and green, maybe too much for me. And it was rather linear on my skin. The sillage faded fast, but a ghost clung on for a long time. Just OK, IMO.
    Douro - Very spicy to start off, tons of cinnamon & nutmeg (I think). A mellow neroli comes in nicely in the heart, but it fades out fast. The drydown is persistent cinnamon, and like most of these frags, sticks around tenaciously. Felt kind of Christmas-y, like a cup of spiced cider. This one earned itself a second wearing, but I don't think the southern California climate necessitates owning a fragrance like this.
    Lavandula - Fresh, true, occasionally transparent, Lavender. Doesn't smell like licorice at all on me, very dry, realistic lavender. Throw in some spice, and there you go. Liked it, wore it twice, but I didn't totally love it.
    Elizabethan Rose - Really nice, realistic rose smell. Reminds me of Mom's roses & garden. Conjured up images of playing football in the front yard at the end of summer, the last roses coming to a fragrant end... and getting tackled into the thorns! Great memories. Good projection. Wore it to bed, and I still smelled it in the morning; not a hint, really there. I've never wanted to smell just like a rose, but if you do, I would recommend this one.
    Bluebell - Soft floral, opens strong. Simmers down later. Not too complex, but very feminine. Drydown is actually quite nice, close to skin, but spices start to come in and balance out the florals.
    Lilly of the Valley - I don't know what Lilly of the Valley really smells like. I'll seek some out in the flower district at some point. I do know that this was a really nice, crisp, fresh floral. Quite linear, decent longevity. Quite floral, but fresh and not overbearing in my opinion. Too feminine for me, but I did like it.
    Ellenisia - Like floral overload on me. Pretty strong projection.
    Artemisia - Opens fruity and floral, rather sweet but delicious smelling; almost cotton candy, almost bubble gum, not quite either. Drydown goes sweet/powdery, but neither to an extreme; maintains some fruitiness throughout. I think I'd love this on a young lady.
    Castile - I had high hopes for Castile, but I wasn't a fan. It started off nice, with a great citrus note, but then... In industrial arts, we had this granulated soap, and I think it must have had orange blossom in it. I've had this experience with John Varvatos' Artisan as well, where the orange blossom just turns to soap on me. Not like light soap, but like I forgot to rinse my hands after building a sheet metal toolbox, and it actually makes me feel a little MORE dirty. This soap note completely dominates most of Castile's duration, and kind of ruins the nice opening for me. I think it's a body chemistry thing.

My overall impression is one of quality, natural-smelling ingredients, and true British tenacity in terms of longevity. It was a really interesting experience for me to "have" to try all these scents, and I was exposed to new ideas and notes, and expanded my knowledge of my own tastes quite a bit.

I think that wraps it up. Something else for you to chew on this Thanksgiving. Thanks a ton to 30 Roses for putting this all together. And thanks to PerfumedLady for corresponding with me throughout the process (both her sampling and my own); I appreciate your encouragement.

Basenotes Institution

Al Gae -- thank you for finding time and posting your impressions. Blenheim Bouquet was my favorite too, for slightly different reasons and I am an older (?) female, but nontheless. Hint: for fresh, subdued and realistic lavender -- do yourself a favor and sniff Eau de Cartier when/if you have a chance -- indispensable during hot and humid summers and relatively affordable in terms of price.

LP#9 was a huge disappointment too.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your well thought out post, Al!

Off to cook the mushrooms.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    Lavandula - Fresh, true, occasionally transparent, Lavender.
    Lilly of the Valley - I don't know what Lilly of the Valley really smells like. I'll seek some out in the flower district at some point. I do know that this was a really nice, crisp, fresh floral. Quite linear, decent longevity. Quite floral, but fresh and not overbearing in my opinion. Too feminine for me, but I did like it.
    Al Gae brings up a couple of great points here-one of the few things I'm as obsessed with as I am fragrance is botany and I grow many varieties of plants here on my property.Lavender stays fairly evergreen for me in the Indiana climate,so even though we were into fall for my testing,I was able to compare the scents to the plants.Lavandula and Blenheim Bouquet do indeed have very true lavender notes,something I don't find to be the case very often.Lavender in perfumery tends to be very soapy,while the real thing is sweet,earthy and yes,it has a transparency to it.Penhaligon's gets lavender right.
    Lily of the Valley only blooms in spring,so I was not able to do a side by side comparison.However,this one instantly transported me to my little patch in cool,moist spring air,cutting both leaves and flowers for my indoor bouquets.It really does a beautiful job of capturing the potent sweetness of the little white flowers along with the deep green waxy leaves that pop up out the ground so prolifically that you can't help but smell them along with the flowers.I don't wear white florals as well as I used to but this one makes me wish I could.
    Al Gae,you're welcome and thank YOU!It has been a joy to experience your revelations with you.And that's a heck of a nose you've got,in my opinion!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 25th November 2010 at 09:44 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Posted package #1 on to coopmom with Delivery confirmation today.
    Currently wearing: Walk On Air by Kate Spade

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    Posted package #1 on to coopmom with Delivery confirmation today.
    Received bookwyrmsmith's package yesterday. Tonight, I have Amarinthine on one wrist and Violetta on the other.

Amaranthine has a banana note that I'm having a hard time with. I don't do white florals very well in general, but that banana is tough. If it hasn't faded by the time I go to bed, it'll be a scrubber.

Violetta, on the other hand, (ha. Literally.) is a sweet green confection that is very pleasing. Not a lot going on so far as far as development from the initial violet fragrance, but I'm not sure it needs to do anything else. It is lasting well, though.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Blog Entries

I began sampling today. I am hopefully at the end of my flu and can now begin to smell things again. Tried Violetta today. Now, I ave to admit that I like violet in fragrance so, with that said, I found violetta quite pleasant if linear. The violet seems a little synthetic. This is not a complex fragrance. While I enjoyed it I am not sure I would put it on my acquisition list. More on the other samples later.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Ah, good-- glad to see groups 1 and 3 are making progress.

Have group 2 and group 4 boxes been sent on to jdmba and Force of One yet?

Blog Entries

OK, Now that my cold is over and I can once again smell the roses (LOL) I am sampling today Castile and Lily of the Valley. First I tried Castile. I am normally not a citrus fan, but I found Castile to be a very pleasant citrus like a high end soap and even experienced a slight remembrance of Linden. Castile is a clean fragrance that quite surprised me. I would not mind owning this fragrance for summer. Lily of the Valley did not work on my skin. I encountered a musty quality that is off-putting for me and the rendering seems chemical-like rather than floral so, Castile gets a thumbs up (three Tesla stars) whilst Lily of the Valley gets a thumbs down.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thank you, N_Tesla. I didn't care for their Lily of the Valley either.

Groups 2 and 4 have been silent for a long time. Are the boxes lost? Who has them?

Roses, I have the box of Group 2. Honestly, I cannot commit to the sniffing so I am sending on the box to the next participant soon, including a sample of an Ineke scent (Gilded Lily) and my samples of the Arsene Lupin duo.

I have too much in my life at present and only sniffed a few Penhaligon's, sadly.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Primrose, I can send them along to you at the end of the line, after they come back to me. Maybe you'll have more time for it then.

Hillaire

I mailed '4' to Force_of_One on November 8th.

Thanks again, 30 Roses, for the opportunity to smell all those. Much appreciated.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm waiting to hear back from Force of One as to whether he ever got the box, and for that matter, if he sent it on to Sculpture of Soul.

If the box is lost we'll do a bit of rearranging of the groups so everyone can still try all the perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Primrose, I can send them along to you at the end of the line, after they come back to me. Maybe you'll have more time for it then.
    Thank you, Roses. I am in over my head.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I just heard from Force of One. He's going to be sending the package on to kbe this week.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 30th December 2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: change of shipping order

Group 1's box will go in the mail to Suz894 tomorrow. Sorry, due to Christmas, etc. I've kept it a little longer than my alloted 20 days.

30 R, thanks again for the opportunity. I absolutely loved LP no. 9, Bluebelle, and Castile. I will probably be on the lookout for decants of these, at the very least! The rest of the scents were very nice, seemed to be of high quality, but these 3 were my faves.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Force of One has just mailed group 4's box to kbe.

Suze894 tells me she received Group #1's box today. Next!

Hi all,

I just signed up for another 30 Roses' sample swap, and now I'm feeling a little guilty, such that I'm a bit inspired to see if I can put together a sample swap myself in the near future, give back a little bit. As a bit of a newbie I don't really have any stellar relationships with SA's, but I can be pretty persuasive.

In order to give me some numerical ammunition, I was hoping we could kind of keep track of how many bottle purchases were made as a result of this sampling. For example, I don't think I'll be purchasing any from the ones we tried (on the fence with BB), but I've since made it my mission to cover most of Penhaligon's line, and I've now got 2 full bottles at the top of my whishlist. I attribute those bottles to this sampling, as my exploration of the line was completely inspired by the swap.

Actually, it shouldn't be hard to get a bundle of samples donated for such a swap. Basenoters are definitely the target market for these samples, and putting together a swap virtually guarantees that the samples will find their target. If I can tell an SA (or more likely a higher up company rep) that last time I was involved in a swap it generated the sale of 10 new bottles, I think that's a compelling reason to pitch in.

I'd appreciate any input from y'all. Perhaps we can get some numbers like this on some of 30 Roses other swaps (I know a recent Malle swap generated some bottle purchases), and use them as well. Thanks!
    Bueno!
    Al Gae

Al,I do still plan to purchase Victorian Posy based on this sampling group.I've just been putting my fragrance dollars toward more cold weather friendly scents lately.That one will be calling my name for summer!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I love the idea of other members starting sampling groups!

For me the primary purpose in starting these is to give more of us the chance to smell and discuss perfumes that we might not otherwise have had the chance to, given how hard to find many fragrances are, and how much it costs to buy samples from TPC, Luckyscent etc. (It does add up!)

I think sampling is bound to result in some purchases, whether now or down the line a bit (many of us need to save for our splurges). If we find a new perfume to love, wonderful! If all it accomplishes is to scratch that mental itch that we feel when we are curious about a perfume, that is good too!

If enough of these groups form, maybe we can ask Grant about our own little forum for sampling groups.