Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Official Penhaligon's Samples Swap Discussion Thread

I've smelled all the C&S and 3 of the Floris, but would love the chance to smell the other Floris, if there is enough juice. A dab would suffice.

Cello and Bookwyrmsmith, I will include you in the group then.
    So far we have 4 people interested. I will wait and see if anyone else is interested, then we will begin. I'd say this coming Saturday, the 12th is long enough to "fill" the groups.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Me, please, Andrew? As I said, a little dab will satisfy my curiosity about the Floris ones that I haven't yet sniffed.

I'm with 30R - if I can join I just need the slightest dab.
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

So, it looks like I've tried 3 of the C&S, and none of the Floris. So I'd be able to get through the C&S a little faster, maybe I should start with that one? Up to you though, I'm just excited to try new fragrances!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Me, please, Andrew? As I said, a little dab will satisfy my curiosity about the Floris ones that I haven't yet sniffed.
    30 Roses, you were one of the 4 in my mind based on our PMs, but my counting was off. I was quite sleepy when I replied hence why I was not clear, I am awake and I have a little more time now so here is the plan:

C&S Group
    Warum
    Al Gae
    Cello

Floris Group
    Bookwyrmsmith
    30 Roses
    Claresauntie

These are all who have showed interest thus far. I was going to wait till Saturday to see who else is interested before mailing the samples, but that is not necessary...we will just add names as needed.

Warum, I have your addy, so Bookwyrmsmith PM me and I will send these out tomorrow/Saturday.

Hope you all enjoy!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Lovely, thank you!

Packages were sent out yesterday...I could not get on BN hence why I am posting today. You both should be receiving the packages sometime this week.

Enjoy!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

A long-delayed "Hello" to everyone.

I'm chiming in after a long absence to thank 30 Roses and everyone I corresponded with during the Penhaligon's swap. Unfortunately sick children, then sick me, and travelling spouse kept me from fully experiencing the event or sharing my thoughts, but I'm very grateful that I had the opportunity to participate.

My appreciation for floral scents expanded greatly and I discovered that I'm capable of enjoying lavender in a fragrance, which I thought was impossible.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for coming back and sharing, suz894! Several folks were plagued with colds or flu during these fall/winter months of sampling, unfortunately. I'm glad you found a lavender to like; this note is a longtime favorite of mine (but Lavandula is not; too mild for my taste.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Packages were sent out yesterday...I could not get on BN hence why I am posting today. You both should be receiving the packages sometime this week.

Enjoy!
    Andrew, mine have already come! Thank you very much! I am leaving feedback for you.

P.S. Ingenious packaging, very cool!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suz894 View Post
    I discovered that I'm capable of enjoying lavender in a fragrance, which I thought was impossible.
    Same here!
    But, as I understood from 30 Roses' answer, you mean Lavandula, and in my case it's Blenheim Bouquet. Turns out that I CAN love lavender paired with sparkling citrus. Was very surprised that is was marketed for men, it's definitely easily worn by both.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Blenheim Bouquet is certainly wearable by anyone. I do like it-- for a while-- but then I grow weary of the black pepper note that is so long lasting.

Blog Entries

Here's something I did not get from the sample -- black pepper... nope, not on me!..

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Here's something I did not get from the sample -- black pepper... nope, not on me!..
    Wow...even my husband found it very peppery on his skin, in the drydown.

Blog Entries

Maybe I didn't wear it long enough? hmmm...

Penhaligon's have a blog now. Just launched.

http://scent.penhaligons.com/scent-b...-in-scent.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I liked Blenheim Bouquet as well.

There were a couple samples that started out lovely for me, but turned disappointing in the end. Unfortunately, I took very poor notes and I can't remember if BB stayed nice all the way down. Plus I can't really be sure how much of my experience could be attributed to my stuffed/irritated sinuses at the time.

Looks like I'll need to do more testing.

Here is what I posted on the Sample of the Day thread after wearing BB. I didn't pick up any pepper either, and wonder if the pine note is the "sharp" smell? Anyway, I enjoyed this one, but I think Malabah (which wasn't one of the samples) might be my favorite.

Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet
    As with Malabah, this one opens with a clear, tart lemon. I'm starting to think Penhaligon has the citrus notes down, as I should have expected, given their history. Wonderful lemon, clear and realistic. A smooth lavender joins, making this opening a delight.
    The pine presents itself, but it is not a sharp pine. It is surrounded by an herbal greenness that gives a slight musty smell, but in a good way. This again seems very natural smelling, like you would smell walking on a nature walk - not just one note, but rather a mixture of smells. The herbal notes are surrounding and supporting the pine.
    This was a simple fragrance, as I am sure it was always meant to be. You are just pleasantly surprised every now and again to get a whiff of notes, but you are not required to stop and analyze. Simple presentation and very nice!
    Last edited by cello; 18th March 2011 at 09:07 PM.

Cello, Blenheim Bouquet was my favorite of the bunch too, and I do not get much pepper from this either.

Blog Entries

Al Gae, PM me your address please as I will be ready to mail the Czech and Speake sampler to you some time next week!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

We are approaching the finish line with this group.

I've sent messages to all four who have the boxes to send them along to the next group members this week sometime.

portzblitz and SculptureofSoul send to me (yay, I will be sampling them properly at last!)
    cbstarker sends to jdnba
    Andrewthecologne guy sends to Evangeline

After I have the boxes, I will test them (and post impressions), reassemble the boxes-- topping off as needed in cases where I have extra juice-- and resending the boxes to several backup members, who do not have to send to anyone else when they are done testing.

Hello sampling group...pardon my absence. I am mailing to Evangeline in a few days.

Cheers.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    In order to give me some numerical ammunition, I was hoping we could kind of keep track of how many bottle purchases were made as a result of this sampling.
    I did purchase a bottle of Victorian Posy from the museum shop-another one sold!For those who liked this one,I have looked and looked and can't find anyone else who has it in stock but the museum shop does have 3 bottles left.They are very happy to ship and ordering was quick and easy.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Received the C&S samples yesterday, although I was wondering why someone sent me a bottle of Le Male I was thinking maybe I had a little too much wine one night and ordered it by accident
    Thanks Andrew for this opportunity to sniff this line!
    Al G, have you already sniffed these? did we get out of order?

Blog Entries

Cello, check out the thread I started on Czech and speake. Here it is: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...Sampling-group

And it will answer all your questions!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I see one can buy Penhaligon's samples (and bottles) from the following site-- they have a sampling program. If there are some you wish to try that I didn't have, check it out:

http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/Penhaligons-s/36.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Cello, check out the thread I started on Czech and speake. Here it is: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...Sampling-group

And it will answer all your questions!
    Warum, thank you for starting the thread for the C&S. For some reason I cannot see that thread (along with several other BN pages). It must be my computer. Maybe its time for a new computing device :/

Please add anyone's name to the swap list as needed. I do want the samples back but not until anyone interested has had a chance to sample. If the samples finish, then so be it. No big deal.

30 Roses/Evangeline: the Penhaligons box went out today. sorry for the delay, but a certain no fl y z one reduced the number of hours in each day for me. Fun.

Thanks all!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Andrew, it's here-- see if the link works for you:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...Sampling-group

On the locations of the other boxes:

Cbstarker is sending the box back to me Monday. Jdnba is still not responding so is being skipped over.
    Edit: Package has gone to jdnba after all.

>>>I left a private message with Portzblitz and a visitor message with SculptureofSoul (whose inbox was full) that they should return their boxes to me now, but have not had any sort of reply or acknowledgment from either as yet. Hopefully they will send them back soon-- I would really like to get on with testing and re-sending them to the backup members.

Edit 4/6/11 If I have not received the boxes or messages from portzblitz and SoS in another week, I will ask a mod to try to contact them.

Edit 4/13/11 Still no reply, so I've asked a moderator to try to contact these 2 members.

Edit 4/18/11 Still no replies and samples not returned, so have sent a certified letter to portzblitz and a regular email to SoS. These will be my final attempts to make contact before leaving feedback.

Edit 5/6/11 All my attempts to contact portzblitz and SculptureofSoul have failed. They have not returned the boxes of samples and have not responded to any mail or email. iTrader is down so I cannot post feedback.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 6th May 2011 at 09:53 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Well, I received back my first box of samples today from Evangeline-- and I'm excited at finally being able to test them myself.

My previous post outlines the difficulties concerning the boxes for groups 1 and 4, which I have to consider lost for good. I have no idea what has happened with either of those members. My return receipt for the certified letter was never returned to me. I prefer not to impute motives or draw conclusions as there is no real information.

I think it is a good idea to avoid trades with portzblitz and SculptureofSoul until they resurface. JMO...

After the other box returns from Group 2, I will resend the samples to the last few people who have been patiently waiting for them. And I will post my own impressions, such as they are.

Oh gosh, 30R., you have given them ample time. You also have patience of a saint. Sorry.

PS
    SoS once had samples for over two month -- over a year ago, we were in an ingredient sampling group and I was to sniff after him. He eventually forwarded them to me, though.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Mr. 30R and I did a bit of dabbing and testing tonight.

Eau de Verveine

From the Penhaligon's website:

"HEAD NOTES
    Lime Oil, Lemon Oil, Petit Grain Oil, Bergamot, Coriander, Clary Sage, Armoise

HEART NOTES
    Clove, Lavender

BASE NOTES
    Musk, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Originally created in 1949, Eau de Verveine is a grassy aromatic, with citrus and woods. The scent of an Indian Summer, shimmering heat haze, soft metallics, crumbled herbs, spices, musk and vanilla. In the distance echoes the evocative promise of rain.

Eau de Verveine was originally created in 1949 and has been resurrected as part of our 2009 Anthology Collection."

Not sweet; not so lemony that Mr.30R could object (I like lemony verbenas myself, he less so.) On me this turns to pencil shavings very fast, but he likes it best of the 6 we tested tonight. I began to detect the lavender long after the cedar. After about 45 minutes I started to pick up the creamy vanilla base. I think he will want to test this further. I like this on him but would not wear it myself.

Douro --A nice woody fragrance,a a bit soapy on me. Mt. 30R liked this second best so far. I wouldn't mind him wearing this; it has a whiff of English Fern to it.

Castile --Bergamot, neroli (but smells to me of orange blossom), sweeter than Eau de Verveine. Easily wearable by women. I'll try this further.

Victorian Posy -- this one has a bit of bluebell/hyacinth in it, to my nose (though the notes say otherwise.) Somethng rubs me the wrong way, though, and I could not wear this.

Elizabethan Rose -- A peachy tea rose. Simple but nice; different from most of the rose fragrances I generally wear, which tend to be more of the Bulgarian rose or English Rose sort. Reminds me somewhat of the way the old Avon Roses, Roses used to smell. Will test further.

Ellenisia -- The sort of sweet, cloying fragrance that I just cannot wear. No surprise: middle notes listed are tuberose, gardenia and jasmine. Which is fine if you like this stuff-- and my daughter, smelling my arm, did like it.

Mr. 30R commented that Penhaligon's fragrances seem to be understated. I'm thinking of how different these are from, say, Bond No. 9's. Nothing screechy here.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Today I tested LP No. 9 (ladies), Amaranthine and Elisabethan Rose.

LP No.9 has a crisp and somewhat masculine feel to it. It was bracing when first applied, and that is when I enjoyed it most, but as it became more muted I found myself growing tired of it.

Amaranthine was just wonderful at first sniff! I couldn't put my finger on what I was smelling but it was marvelous! Within 5 minutes I began to feel uncomfortable as it grew sweeter and a bit powdery. As it continued to evolve, the carnation and orange blossom attracted me even as the ylang-ylang repelled me. I had mixed feelings about this fragrance. Really I could not see myself wearing it, but it is an interesting perfume for sure. It is warm and open -- it gives me a sense of opennness. An odd impression.

Elisabethan Rose-- No surprise here, I like this scent. It's not compelling or especially interesting, just a straightforward tea rose-- not lemony, not musky, not green, but somehow it's quite pleasant anyway. It's like background music rather than a performance one really sits up and listens to. Sillage is moderate.

I have other rose perfumes I love more, and if I could only have one rose perfume, this would not be The One--but I would not be averse to owning a bottle of this, and may buy one someday.

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon? There was a whiff of a urinous note in the drydown of Elisabethan Rose. I'll have to try it one more time. Maybe it doesn't interact well with skin/perspiration when applied to chest.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th May 2011 at 02:56 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Some of the others, I have commented on before. From memory:

Blenheim Bouquet-- My husband and I both love the top notes but also find that there is a strong black pepper note that goes on and on ad nauseum. Not for us, I'm afraid. I see not everyone gets that pepper note-- interesting!

English Fern-- Mr. 30R owns a bottle and wears it occasionally, but not as often as his other fragrances. This is elegant, dignified and understated. Sillage is lower than some, and it is a perfect office scent. I love the smell of this on him.

Violetta-- I own a bottle of this, and wear it occasionally also. It's greener than my other violets scents (due to the violet leaf note) and I appreciate that it is not sweet or fruity. If I want a sweet, candy-like violet, I go for AG La Violette; if a fruity one, Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse. This is easily unisex, though some men may prefer Grey Flannel for their green violet leaf note. Longevity is about 5-6 hours; low to moderate sillage. I recommend it but will not buy another bottle when it is gone, but try something else.

Elixer -- Mr.30R rather likes this, and it may well be the next Penhaligon's he buys. But I think it reminds him too much of another scent he owns or is thinking of buying (can't recall which one; will ask and edit post.)

Bluebell-- Bluebells are related to hyacinths (Google some images and you will see) and this does smell of hyacinth, but not on my skin. On skin it very rapidly becomes a loud clove. Ugh! I've found the only way I can wear this is by dabbing it onto a paper blotter in my aromatherapy-type locket (I have another locket so I can wear Une Rose ; it makes the top notes linger much longer.)

Lavandula-- I find this a soft lavender, not as pungent as I prefer my lavenders to be. But it is very nice all the same, and unisex.

Lily of the Valley-- I need to retest this, maybe tomorrow as I'm currently wearing Evelyn. I do recall that the last time I smelled this, it was more complex than a simple LOTV scent-- there is rose in there for sure, which comes up as the heart notes appear. I would have liked it more had the top notes of LOTV lingered longer. Next time I will test it by applying it to chest and see what wafts up. I find the fragrance impression tends to be more complex that way-- the top notes linger in my clothing even as the heart notes appear on skin.

I have to retest Artemesia as well.

I have mailed packages of samples to the 4 people who were waiting to test/retest some of these, and they will keep the packages. Only one of the 4 boxes was returned to me (thanks, Evangeline!), so I could not send every scent to each person, but had to divide them up, augmenting somewhat with the few extra samples I had set aside from my last visit to the museum gift shop.

I am still hoping to hear from/receive a box back from jdnba whom I messaged a couple of days ago, and it is not too late for SculptureofSoul and portzblitz to return their boxes before I leave them feedback.

Thank you for your impressions, it is nice to see things in perspective.

I also appreciate your patience with not so compliant people. I actually marvel it and hope to be like you in this regard one of these days.

Would have thanked you, but can't , no button. Hugs instead?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hugs appreciated!

Honestly, I don't have a clue what is going on with SoS and portzblitz. Maybe they have valid reasons. The return receipt hasn't come back to me so maybe portzblitz is not at home and hasn't even gotten my messages or letter. And SoS may not even be reading BN-- BN could be his home page for his browser for all we know. I just hope he is all right.

Edit:

I received back the certified letter sent to portzblitz. It was marked unclaimed and unable to forward.
    Am leaving neutral feedback for both members.

Edit 6/3/11: SoS contacted me and explained all. Box is being returned.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 3rd June 2011 at 07:25 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm retesting Lily of the Valley as a full wearing today, having decanted part of one of the leftover vials into a small atomizer. 4 or 5 spritzes to chest and upper back under clothing-- and a bit on the clothing as well.

I cannot think of this as a soliflore lily of the valley fragrance; it is more of a floral blend with accent on LOTV. Bergamot and lemony notes are prominent, rose is detectable, and I don't know what else. I neither love it nor dislike it. It's meh.

Luca Turin called it a "failed muguet", saying because of the restrictions in hydroxycitronellal and Lyral, "it is...no longer possible to do a good lily of the valley" (Perfumes: The A-Z Guide pp. 354-355.)

But here is the thing: Despite the restrictions, Guerlain managed to produce a very nice Muguet for 2011, which actually smells like lilies of the valley. If Guerlain did it, it seems to me that others should be able to as well.

Edit 5/19/11: Have heard back from jdnba who was away; he is returning the box from his group.

*Received box from jdnba. Samples sent out to cbstarker for further testing.

Edit 6/3/11: Have also heard back form SoS who had a family situation; box is on its way back to me.

Edit 6/6/11: Box received back from SoS. I will now offer the leftover samples to several other Basenoters. They are welcome to post reviews if they wish but have no obligation to do so; this group is finished.

Edit 7/223/11: I received the box of samples back from Portzblitz today.

All boxes have now been returned.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 23rd July 2011 at 07:44 PM.

Wow 30 Roses,
    You really turn sampling into a true event. Very well done. I'll need to take more notes from you before I send out another PuPu Platter. Your generosity is contagious.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    Wow 30 Roses,
    You really turn sampling into a true event. Very well done. I'll need to take more notes from you before I send out another PuPu Platter. Your generosity is contagious.
    The SA at the gift shop was amazing -- I nearly fell over when she brought out 111 samples for us to pass around.

The problem with this pass and the one with 30 rose perfumes was that they took too long-- there were just too many samples for members to test. The box of samples had to stay a month with each member. This slows down the pass and also tends to cause people to lose interest as they have to wait so long for their turn to come around.

These days I favor sampling passes with fewer total perfumes to test, and ideally several groups running concurrently with fewer members per group. To do this one has to have enough mls of each perfume to be able to make up multiple vials or sample size atomizers. There is a larger cost outlay for the originator of the pass, but the pass is concluded more quickly and there is more back and forth discussion about the scents as people compare their impressions.

I wrote a few blog posts to help people who want to do a sample pass-- take any suggestions that are useful and leave the rest. :

1. http://www.basenotes.net/entries/201...p-for-Perfumes
    2. http://www.basenotes.net/entries/202...-Avoid-Mishaps