Code of Conduct

Default Lorenzo Villoresi Colonia vs. Acqua de Parma Colonia

Are they different enough to justify a separate purchase? I have Acqua de Parma Colonia and tried Lorenzo Villoresi Colonia a long time ago. The only vague recollection I have is they were quite similar with Villoresi being slightly more herbal in the drydown. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Lorenzo Villoresi Colonia vs. Acqua de Parma Colonia

Thanks for making this thread neal, I'm mega-interested in opinions on this too.

Anytime!
    I'd also like to know if Lorenzo Villoresi Colonia is dramatically different enough from Armani Pour Homme to warrant a separate purchase?
    These types of fragrances are probably my favorite go to's. Classy, classic and manly. IMHO.
    Last edited by neal; 18th October 2010 at 09:08 PM.

Lorenzo Villoresi is very classy and long lasting (or it is on my skin). Having also tried the Acqua di Parma and Armani, for me they don't come close at all. The LV is in a different league. Go and purchase a bottle now lol

I have LV Uomo. Is Lorenzo Villoresi Colonia vastly different?

^I want to know the exact same thing with as much detail as possible.
    *giddy with anticipation*

Craig? Can you hear our pleas?

I own both Acqua di Parma Colonia and Lorenzo Villoresi's Colonia.

First, a bit of context. AdP Colonia is my favorite cologne. Indeed, I wear it more than any other fragrance in my collection. However, I wanted to expand my cologne collection with fragrances that brought something unique to the table and had a measure of longevity on my skin. The first that I added was Guerlain's Eau du Coq. Then I did some testing of LV Colonia. I too found in more herbal on top and the base differs substantially too; it has a definite muskiness. I developed a real appreciation for it and decided it was worth adding to my collection.

As to Uomo, it is very different from either of these. Citrus, green, vetiver are all elements here. I don't own it but it is certainly worthy of consideration.

^So would you say the herbal side of Uomo is much greener/more herbal than LV Colonia?

And is the Lavender in LV Colonia exactly the same soapy-cool-Lavender used in LV Incensi???
    I'm not big on lavender but I love that soapy chilled lavender in Incensi.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    ^So would you say the herbal side of Uomo is much greener/more herbal than LV Colonia?

I can say yes to that, much more herbal.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I can say yes to that, much more herbal.
    I am not asking about Acqua Di PArma Colonia, but LV (Lorenzo Villoreis) Colonia, as compared to LV Uomo. I was under the impression you had not smelled Lorenzo Villoresi Colonia?

I have LV Uomo. Uomo is much heavier on the herbs like sage and juniper.
    I tried Lorenzo Villoresi Colonia a while ago and that much I remember - it was much more in the vein of a traditional eau de cologne. I just want to get others opinions as to how it would compare to the traditional AdP Colonia.
    But Uomo is the heaviest herbally.

And is the Lavender in LV Colonia exactly the same soapy-cool-Lavender used in LV Incensi???
    I'm not big on lavender but I love that soapy chilled lavender in Incensi.
    I would Uomo comes across greener, but what I recollect is grassy-vetiver type notes. I will have to retest.

I can't compare to Incensi's lavender.

Acqua di Parma Colonia is a longtime favourite - cheerful EDC with citrus floral mix. (Not keen on any of the 3 flankers BTW).

Uomo is one of my favourite low-key feelgood scents and I find the LV Colonia shares some DNA - a real family resemblance - altho the Colonia is distinctly a class EDC (it sparkles, very natural and uplifting and fairly fleeting as quality EDCs tend to be) while Uomo is more of a work horse by comparison, it lasts a day and is is a good solid EDT.

I think you can easily accommodate both in your wardrobe if you like Uomo or just enjoy good EDCs and want a bit of a change from AdP. While we're on the EDC topic I would add that the recent Guerlain Cologne du Parfumeur has been a nice surprise.

I would suggest to any fan of Uomo you might also like to consider the Profumo, which comes in 30ml. The best way I can describe that is that it has the same relationship to the EDT as you find between Terre d'Hermes EDT & Parfum. Some people are either/or and some enjoy both.

Hope that helps . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 19th October 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Acqua di Parma Colonia is a longtime favourite - cheerful EDC with citrus floral mix. (Not keen on any of the 3 flankers BTW).

While we're on the EDC topic I would add that the recent Guerlain Cologne du Parfumeur has been a nice surprise...
    I am also not keen at all on the 3 Acqua Di Parma Flankers. and I love every bit of AdP Colonia except for the powderiness, the "astrigent/witch hazel" quality, and the Lavender.

Does Villoresi Colonia have any of AdP's powderiness?
    Is the lavender the same sweet/cool/soapy variety used in Incensi ?
    If anyone can answer those sufficiently I'd greatly appreciate it.
    I'm frankly surprised it's so hard to find a sample of.
    Perfumed court doesn't stock, nor does anyone on Crystal flacon.

As for Wasser's newer Guerlain eaux, I've been exited to try that for some time now, and will have some on the way shortly

but on topic,
    we've got to have someone who has cracked this Villoresi Colonia ...?

Aqua di Parma Colonia is a bit more lemon in character while LV Colonia is more neroli (orange). The Villoresi smells quite a bit like MPG Pour Le Jeune Homme or Heely Oranges and Lemons Bells of St. Clemens but it retains a characteristic Villoresi mixture of fresh herbal and mint notes. What makes the Villoresi Colonia so good is the sparkling crispness of it. I like Villoresi Colonia the best but it is hard to find a bottle anywhere, whereas Aqua di Parma is everywhere and is equally as satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Aqua di Parma Colonia is a bit more lemon in character while LV Colonia is more neroli (orange). The Villoresi smells quite a bit like MPG Pour Le Jeune Homme or Heely Oranges and Lemons Bells of St. Clemens but it retains a characteristic Villoresi mixture of fresh herbal and mint notes. What makes the Villoresi Colonia so good is the sparkling crispness of it. I like Villoresi Colonia the best but it is hard to find a bottle anywhere, whereas Aqua di Parma is everywhere and is equally as satisfying.
    Oh, this is right up my alley I think, Those Heeley topnotes were almost a deadringer for the MPG's, I love both tops (but the heeley base was meh). Have you smelled the white barsoap/cool/unbitter lavender in Villoresi Incensi?

I don't personally find LV Colonia powdery, and don't see any immediate similarity with Incensi, mind you I haven't looked closely for one. The family resemblance is firmly with Uomo IMO.

I got mine from The Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver some time ago - a blind buy that I don't regret, along with the Uomo Profumo and shaving soap. Not sure about where you would find samples, maybe contact Villoresi direct?
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 18th October 2011 at 01:20 PM.

If you enjoy these types of colognes, I would suggest buying a bottle as no one knows how long these types of scents will be available since they don't bring the sales that Acqu di Gio brings. I speak for myself and hopefully on behalf of the_good_life as well in saying that LV Acqua di Colonia is the greatest extant eau de cologne and the closest relative of the original Farina Gegenuber Kolnisch Wasser.

Uomo is more of a spicy citrus. It's still fresh but has a lovely herbal/spicy kick to it. It always reminds me of Grand Siecle in some ways by Parfumerie Generale. The Acqua di Colonia is more of a traditional Italian cologne in EDT rather than EDC strength. I think it's also based entirely on natural essential oils. I love and own both of these, they're definitely different, so if you already own one of them certainly sample or buy the other one. Price wise they're more than reasonable as well at 65 Euro for 50ml and 95 Euro for 100ml rrp. The Uomo also comes in a 30ml bottle with the strength increased, but it's far more expensive than the 100ml EDT.

I am wearing LV Acqua di Colonia today, inspired by this thread.

The published notes are (per Lafco website):

Top note: Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Petitgrain, Orange, Elemi

Middle note: Clove, Neroli, Sage

Base note: Rosemary, Musk

A few comments in reference to the notes. The citrus is well-blended, without a dominant theme. I don't really get much of an elemi presence or clove. Neroli? Yes. Sage? Yes. Rosemary? Yes. Musk? Yes, yes.

There is a soapiness here as well.

I think there is a blend of notes that almost identifies a Villoresi. Aqua di Colonia, Uomo and Piper Nigrum all have it. It is a combination of lavender, neroli, rosemary and sage. There is a mint quality that probably comes from the sage or rosemary and a creaminess that is always there that I associate with old world gentlemen's colognes. They smell like something a fine quality tailor would come up with for their gentlemen clientele. With Aqua di Colonia there is lavender, rosemary, sage, neroli, but also a dry crisp edge that comes from the petitgrain in the opening, I think. Uomo is greener with its emphasis on vetiver, while Piper Nigrum emphasizes pepper, anise and mint. I personally enjoy both Uomo and Colonia from Villoresi quite a bit. The sweetness of Piper Nigrum and Musk bothers me.

Is LV AdColonia better than Aqua di Parma?? That's a matter of personal preference and judgement and could go either way, imo. I like Uomo the best of all these mentioned and is a personal favorite, but also enjoy the Colonia from Villoresi too.

LAFCO NY does carry Acqua di Colonia, but it is not listed in their fragrance directory. You must search for "Acqua di Colonia" and it will come up--sort of a secret really!

They are both worth having, though LVMH is effing around with the Parma formula me thinks. I believe it contains some synths now, when it used to be 100% natural. Which LV`s still is. And for classic EdCs this matters - just smell Farina Gegenüber. AdP is a lemon-floral, LV a more traditional bergamot-neroli cologne, I believe the elemi adds the herbal twist, it certainly has the Villoresi signature, though it is quite distinct from Uomo and far from (the brilliant) Incensi. The base must contain real ambrette to convey that musky sensation. Yeah, it is the best classic cologne out there by a Florentine mile.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Traditional acqua and eau fragrances don 't last long on me; such is their nature.

I prefer Borsari's Acqua Classica. I like the affordable price and the leather in the base notes. This fits the bill for me. Also, the alcohol content is 79%, making this a bit more longer lasting.

The likes of Farina and Imperiale are wonderful, but for me, only for home use. I prefer sillage and longevity when I step out of the house.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I prefer Borsari's Acqua Classica. I like the affordable price and the leather in the base notes. This fits the bill for me. Also, the alcohol content is 79%, making this a bit more longer lasting.

That is one I would like to test sometime.

Scentsitivity, this is cheap as chips and can be found easily at discounters. It comes in 10 oz. bottles like an eaux.

(Don't use the charming bulb atomiser. It looks nice but will cause evaporation. I don't use the one I got for my Derby. Decant into an atomiser with a piston.)

Our own Shamu1 was right on the money with his comments.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122030.html

http://www.parfum1.com/acqua-classic...rsari+di+Parma
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th October 2010 at 04:59 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

...., nor does anyone on Crystal flacon.
    ?????? How hard are you looking there? - Answer: not very ;-)

Villoresi colonia is, in my opinion, the best EDC on the market. It is all natural, has a killer bergamot note, a little resinous business from elemi, is made from a classic citrus, neroli, herbal formula and boasts a natural but significant musky drydown which I assume to be ambrette dominated.

I like AdP colonia very much but it is quite different with its big rosy heart and some "less soft" notes (especially in its most recent formulations). The quality is not quite up there, in my opinion.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I'm glad to see that in a world of designer, niche, and powerhouse scents that dominate both the advertising market and this forum that there is still genuine interest in the true original eau de colognes that predate even the 1930s-1960s fragrances we call classics. I hope that LV continues production of Acqua di Colonia. Anyone reading this thread that is interested in trying more similar colognes, one should at least sample:

Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille, lemon, orange, neroli, orange blossom, rose, rosemary. Very standard, a tad old-fashioned tonic, and hugely affordable.

Eau du Coq, great herbal cologne with muted citrus with a dash of sandalwood, moss, and some say civet.

Eau de Cologne Imperial, lime and lime blossom with tonka. Cheap if you get a tester.

Original Farina Gegenuber 1960s or before, beautiful all natural bergamot. Check eBay.de from time to time though you might have to know German like some of us.

Finally, Berdoues no. 444 Extra Vieille, dark neroli and musk if you can find it. I probably bought the last extant bottle from a barbershop in La Rochelle. I had to learn basic French to broker this deal--and it was well worth it!

Cheers!