Code of Conduct

Thread: 1978 Polo

Default 1978 Polo

Why do so many people profoundly dislike polo?

Please do not say...
    1. Over-applied in the 80's

2. Out-dated.

3. Smells like urine cakes (the quick response of many regarding any 80's frangrance.)
    Last edited by Hamp; 18th October 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Default Re: 1978 Polo

Not sure....I certainly don't hate it. Used to own it. Not alligned with my current tastes.

My best guess (and I'm not going to say it!) is probably the middle choice for most people.

OK. Could someone explain how a frangrance could become "out-dated?" Out-dated based on who/what?

Basenotes Institution

Different strokes, for different folks...as they say.

Because, I guess, its powerhouse feel is not for anyone (apart from truly not intending any offense, I dare to say that the term powerhouse may seem inaccurate, since this one is from 1978 and not the 80s, but it already anticipates to me one of the dominating trends during the next decade)

As for me, I developed a crush for this fragrance during me freshman year at the university, because, at the expense of scaring off most people around me, I felt it could make anyone- including me- seem very manly

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love to smell it on other people, but on me it tends to smell like wet cigarette ashes.

I think Polo is very masculine, too much masculine for actual days (think about the great-seller Dior homme).
    And that's the reason why last week I bought a 118 ml bottle of this Ralph Lauren legend. It's different from everything in my wardrobe, it's green and strong, the drydown is absolutely fantastic,the pine note dominates,and it's very long lasting.
    So it's a edt for men from a perioud where men were men, this is Polo's charme.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Because, I guess, its powerhouse feel is not for anyone (apart from truly not intending any offense, I dare to say that the term powerhouse may seem inaccurate, since this one is from 1978 and not the 80s, but it already anticipates to me one of the dominating trends during the next decade)

As for me, I developed a crush for this fragrance during me freshman year at the university, because, at the expense of scaring off most people around me, I felt it could make anyone- including me- seem very manly
    OK. Then are you saying it is not a Powerhouse scent?

I think it's a matter of style trends.....let's be honest: overtly masculine behavior is falling more and more out of fashion. 20 yrs ago something along the lines of a "metrosexual" would be looked at askew, now it's embraced. A guy who is overtly masculine is looked at like a caveman. This is what is meant by "out-dated". If you like it and it's your style, by all means go for it. I'm right there with you. But the majority of people follow the herd.

"the nail that sticks out gets hammered down"

I love Polo.

Sur la Plage

I liked it then, and still like it now.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 19th October 2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hamp View Post
    OK. Could someone explain how a frangrance could become "out-dated?" Out-dated based on who/what?

Much the same as Flapper Dresses and Bell Bottom Jeans. New blood identifies it with previous generations they do not want to be identified with. Personally, I love it and consider it in the same class as great vintage wine, which I also love. Out of date? Not for me.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I like it, but for me it takes me back to an earlier time when I wore it A LOT. I know you've asked that no one respond "over applied" but my recollection is that is that it was a huge seller for Lauren, and pretty much established him as a power in the frag business for men. I'm not a historian on such matters, but I think it was a scent that really got the men's fragrance industry rolling pretty strong.

I wore pretty much exclusively for a time. That "dates it" to a large degree in my mind (and nose).

I don't think Polo is profoundly dislike like Kouros is - it is still make and sells well - it is a classic in men's fragrances.

I used to love it, and a lot, but lately its opening is bothering me more and more, to me it smells like a bonfire, nasty, acrid, choking smoke that lasts at least half an hour or more, after that it mellows a bit and the drydown is just wonderful. But I hate it now because I can not get through the smoking opening. Was it reformulated?

Love it, still abused by many so I don't use it that much.

Does Polo share some similarities with Santos Concentree?

Just don't care for the way it smells.

Iconic.

I think it to be one of the true masterpieces in men's fragrance.

I also happen to like the smell now every bit as back then... in the right measure.

I loved it in 1980 and I love it now. THE classic coniferous scent IMO. Polo is not even in the frame of reference of most guys under 35. Too bad for them.

I think it was one of the first scents to successfully capture the style of a designer. When you smell and see the bottle you can't help but vision an old English manner style of Ralph Lauren

Polo was one of the most popular men's fragrances of the 1980's especially in the bar scene. Don't even try to compare the new and old. Yes, many people complain that the original version was over powering. Guess what, so were the 1980's! The new version is terrible and a pale shadow if it's previous self. Only if I could get my hands on a vintage bottle.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I liked it then, and still like it now.
    Me too!!!
    Gary

One of my all time favorites even after all of the hundreds (maybe nearly a thousand) frags I've laid my nose on in the past few years. I always find at least one day during the holidays to wear it because it is a comfort scent for me (my first ever frag purchase at the age of 13). Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable wearing it in public due to its reputation and the negative associations that a lot of people have with this one. But, it will always be a guilty pleasure to wear around the house when the occasion arises.

I don't say use the term loosely by any means, but this one is a masterpiece.

The handful of people outside of BN that I've discussed Polo with have liked it. It may not be a great work of art but most people seem to think it smells quite good.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I like CHANEL Antaeus and Santos Concentree. Will I like Polo classic?

Polo Classic = Smells like urine cakes??? Absolutely not.

Maybe a little out-dated but I think its a great classic.

Sound Scents

Not outdated at all, IMO. Incredible when it came out, and still incredible now. It is a timeless classic.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

if you like tom ford italian cypress you will probably like it

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Not outdated at all, IMO. Incredible when it came out, and still incredible now. It is a timeless classic.
    +1.... Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    if you like tom ford italian cypress you will probably like it
    I like (and own) Italian Cypress. Are they very similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    The Tom Ford rep i know said it reminds him of "Polo Green" and 2 other people said the same thing about IC without me mentioning anything about Polo.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Somewhat, but Polo features a loud accord of birch tar "leather" which sets it apart (and makes it unwearable for me).

Italian Cypress is much more like Halston Z-14 (old formulation) and Valentino Vendetta.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's iconic, well made, and not overtly friendly like the cucumber calone hairsprays that pass as fragrance nowadays. Plus, the bottle is green. It is therefore trendy to hate on Polo.

Polo Green as we now call this still does very well in sales.....This is a fantastic fragrance and one that has stood the test of time.....I do like this and feel that it is a classic!!!
    Gary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    It's iconic, well made, and not overtly friendly like the cucumber calone hairsprays that pass as fragrance nowadays. Plus, the bottle is green. It is therefore trendy to hate on Polo.
    Yes. Every once in a while I sniff my vintage Polo to remember what fragrances *could be*.