Code of Conduct

Default Anything I can do to improve projection?

My skin eats up fragrances pretty easily, i honestly wouldn't consider my skin dry but usually my fragrances hardly project. My girlfriend said that some people project like crazy but on me all my frags are very subtle and close. They have to give me a hug to smell it sometimes or sniff my wrist.

Fragrances like Azzaro pour homme, Rochas man, body kouros, versace the dreamers etc etc are all pretty close to my skin.

Is there any advice for any way for me to improve my projection? or any cologne suggestions? Its not a longevity problem.

I know only a few fragrances that seem to project well on me are, Bulgari Ph extreme, pure malt, Au masculine, Armani code, leau d issey.

I was considering maybe buying zino, kouros, and A men but i'm not quite sure yet.

thanks in advance

Default Re: Anything I can do to improve projection?

i've heard jojoba oil recommended on these forums before
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

After much experimenting with different fragrances & different applications I've found that on me, some project & others do not. I have dry skin...especially in the winter months. I've come to accept this. While many frown upon spraying scents on the clothes you're wearing, I've found it helps certain fragrances to kind of "stick around" a little longer than they would on my skin.

well, this question is asked quite a few times here, here are some of the common suggestions:

.Use Jojoba oil
    .Use a skin moisturizer after you shower (didn't work for me, my skin gets very dry after a shower and it's the worst time to apply fragrance for me)
    .Layer it with the fragrance official lotion if available
    .Spray on clothes (some fragrances are better on clothes, though most smell better on the skin)
    .Spray on your hands and run your finger through your hair. (Well, if you're a guy, and you have hair on your arms, spray on the top side of your arms, works for me) Do not spray directly on hair.
    .Spray more, but have those extra sprays under you shirt so you won't be a fragrance bomb either.

Going to throw out a suggestion that might work, and certainly can't hurt: improving your diet.

Here is a good article on foods that are good for your skin. Can't hurt, right??

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...ures/skin-food

Get a non-contact thermometer (usually IR) and find the hottest parts of your skin that is not clothed: apply there.
    Do the same for clothed areas (e.g. find the hottest reading on the surface of the clothing): apply there onto the clothing.

If you are really desperate and can handle the heat, get a disposable pocket warmer and place it under the clothing area you just applied.

Get "perfumer's alcohol", decant, dilute, into a small sprayer. Note that projection may increase, but longevity and sillage will probably suffer.

Good luck with the experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCheese21 View Post
    While many frown upon spraying scents on the clothes you're wearing, I've found it helps certain fragrances to kind of "stick around" a little longer than they would on my skin.
    Who frowns & why? I spray along the arms of my clothes and chest area everyday, then on my bare arms too and little around my neck.

Whats wrong with spraying on clothes?

Adonis, haha

Here are a few things I do to help project (some are obvious):

1. Spray more amount

2. Spray in more areas, get more coverage

3. Don't spray immediately after a shower; wait 5-10 minutes. Also don't dry yourself with a towel, let your body air dry if possible.

Spray on the top side of your wrist...where the hairs are...instead of just the underside of your wrist. A Nieman's SA told me this and said this gets it into the hair follicles and pores and helps the scent last longer. I chalked it up to nothing at first but used technique with Halston Man Amber and it lasted literally 13-15 hours...I went to bed with it on after putting it on at 6:30 am..and it was strong.

The back of neck..hairline.. works too...scent follows
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Spray on the top side of your wrist...where the hairs are...instead of just the underside of your wrist. A Nieman's SA told me this and said this gets it into the hair follicles and pores and helps the scent last longer. I chalked it up to nothing at first but used technique with Halston Man Amber and it lasted literally 13-15 hours...I went to bed with it on after putting it on at 6:30 am..and it was strong.

Exactly! The top side of your forearm where the hair is, well if you have hair there. This is my best "spot". Sadly, if you live in a cold area where you have to wear long sleeves, it wouldn't work, not only because the air is covered, but rubbing against the sleeve makes the perfume fade faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post

Good advice! I do the back of my neck and head, but for some reason never thought to do the top of the wrist/arm. Brilliant.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

I spray about 12 sprays on average. I start at the cuff of my top towards my shoulders on the right, then the same on the left then a few on my chest and finally one spray on each side of my neck and my wrists. I project pretty well.

This used to get me all wound up but a sure fire way to improve projection is simply to spray more or spray in areas away from your nose so you are able to accurately perceive the scent more. I've worn L'Eau D'Issey Intense and many others close to my neck and it has knocked out my nose in less than an hour. Hours later, colleagues would comment how nice I smell yet I couldn't smell a thing. Longevity is improved by moisturising and spraying on clothes.

To fully enjoy scents, you just have to accept that some will like your skin chemistry and stick around but some will not, and will disappear quicker than you spray them on.

Interestingly, Burberry London, a scent which supposedly doesn't last on MOST people sticks around for well more than 8 hours on me. That's me dabbing a small miniature. Too bad it's not really my cup of tea...
    Last edited by Critic; 20th October 2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I've found a second application of whatever fragrance you are wearing about twenty minutes after the first seems to work.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Dependent

I dunnoe, run up and down, or in circles? (Sorry, ignore. Rough day - not an excuse, just saying.)

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    Who frowns & why? I spray along the arms of my clothes and chest area everyday, then on my bare arms too and little around my neck.

Whats wrong with spraying on clothes?

Adonis, haha
    Isn't it because they're designed to be sprayed on the body so that the body heat reacts with it which helps with the projection and whatnot. No doubt spraying them on clothes as well makes them smell nice, much like using a scented fabric conditioner.

Have you ever tried Bogart pour Homme (2004)
    by Jacques Bogart?

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    well, this question is asked quite a few times here, here are some of the common suggestions:

.Use Jojoba oil
    .Use a skin moisturizer after you shower (didn't work for me, my skin gets very dry after a shower and it's the worst time to apply fragrance for me)
    .Layer it with the fragrance official lotion if available
    .Spray on clothes (some fragrances are better on clothes, though most smell better on the skin)
    .Spray on your hands and run your finger through your hair. (Well, if you're a guy, and you have hair on your arms, spray on the top side of your arms, works for me) Do not spray directly on hair.
    .Spray more, but have those extra sprays under you shirt so you won't be a fragrance bomb either.
    I heard these just improve longevity not projection. I heard, Animal notes improve projection. Maybe we should try butterfat !!

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    This used to get me all wound up but a sure fire way to improve projection is simply to spray more or spray in areas away from your nose so you are able to accurately perceive the scent more. I've worn L'Eau D'Issey Intense and many others close to my neck and it has knocked out my nose in less than an hour. Hours later, colleagues would comment how nice I smell yet I couldn't smell a thing. Longevity is improved by moisturising and spraying on clothes.

To fully enjoy scents, you just have to accept that some will like your skin chemistry and stick around but some will not, and will disappear quicker than you spray them on.

Interestingly, Burberry London, a scent which supposedly doesn't last on MOST people sticks around for well more than 8 hours on me. That's me dabbing a small miniature. Too bad it's not really my cup of tea...
    I agree wholeheartedly with these statements. I really wanted Escada Magnetism to work on me but unfortunately, it just doesn't. It wouldn't last or project on me, so I dumped it. And rather than feeling sad about it, I just reinvested in the scents that I knew would last and project better. Ultimately, there is little you can do to improve projection. I think projection is controlled partially by the components of the fragrance in question, but it's mostly dictated by the natural projection of the wearer. I have never had a strong natural projection; some of us just don't smell strongly in general. Therefore, I only have mega sillage/projection when I wear fragrances that are universally strong ie. Opium PH, Kouros, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, etc. Otherwise, my sillage is mostly subtle to modest, unless I spray 5+ times which I prefer not to do.

My advice: If you really like a fragrance, find a healthy number of sprays that you can live with and that others won't hate you for. I've come up with a consistent test for determining a fragrance's projection. When I'm at home in the evenings, I start by making sure I'm fragrance free. Then, I spray one time on the inside of my elbow on bare skin (the fold of the arm, if you will). From there I just go about my evening as I normally would. The good projectors will send sillage up to my nostrils for 2-3 hrs or more before becoming almost undetectable at arms length. This limits my olfactory fatigue and gives me an accurate assessment of the scent's projection. By the end of the night, I know 3 things: how long the strong projection lasts, how long the scents itself lasts, and how many sprays I should wear to obtain the strength I desire. I hope this helps...

i have a question: might it be due to nose fatigue? or your body adapting to the scent? whenever i wear a new scent it dosent project well until after the 5th or 6th wearing....