Code of Conduct

Default Something like Old Spice but better

I've always been a fan of Old Spice and still wear it occasionally. However, the new stuff doesn't quite smell as rich and satisfying as it did "in the old days." To me it almost smells like an imitation of what Old Spice used to smell like.

Are there any scents out there that smell like Old Spice (but better) that are easy to find?

Default Re: Something like Old Spice but better

Creed Bois du Portugal has been called "rich man's Old Spice" but it costs $98 for a 1.0 ounce bottle.

I would highly recommend Montana Parfum D'Homme. Just make sure that you get the red box. It also comes in a blue box which is inferior, imo...

Here are some reviews:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121133.html

I find both Canoe and Stetson to be somewhat similar to Old Spice. Both are inexpensive.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Guerlain Habit Rouge is a nice floral-oriental in the style of Old Spice... translated into French, of course...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Wink Re: Something like Old Spice but better

Paul Sebastian (1979) is the nearest thing you will ever get to a more refined Old Spice!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

I thought someone mentioned Royal Briar being a refined Old Spice....
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I enjoy Old Spice as well and I think Rive Gauche would be a nice alternative.

I vote for Guerlain's Habit Rouge too.

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi
    This stuff is amazing. It's like Old Spice in the cinnamon and clove dept but with much more presence. It also lasts quite a bit longer that Old Spice.

habit rouge for sure...it has that lurking lady smell in it too...funny enough i read, i think here, that old spice was originally marketed towards women, but it didnt sell so they pushed it on men who loved it!

Oh I just remembered another one that reminds me of old spice a little...royall musk, which i just purchased...i love its old world charm
    Last edited by jdnba; 26th January 2008 at 06:37 PM.

Calvin Klein's Obsession has the Old Spice thang going on in its dry down.
    "All deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea, while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore."

I would certainly second Paul Sebastian and even find some similarities in Guerlain Heritage. PS is the much more closer of the two, though.
    You are not your perfume.

I've always thought that L'Homme Sage by Divine could be the modern day Old Spice. Bois du Portugal is not that new, but it is "something like old spice, ONLY MUCH BETTER".

Tabac Original may be just the thing. DIRT cheap (10 oz. for under $20?!) but big on quality. Not a dead-ringer for Old Spice but this is a shave-related male-marketed floriental as well, albeit better executed, priced and with better options - there's a whole line of stuff beyond the cologne and the aftershave. And I say all this as someone who still uses a little Old Spice from time to time - the key words are "a little.":-)

Worth Pour Homme captures some of this vibe as well for me (lots of spicy carnation a la Tabac), as does Brooks Brothers 1818 (more woodsy but no shortage of spicy goodness and a dash of soapiness).
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

What? Nothing's better than Old Spice!

I love the spice family and could provide a long list of "tries". Roger & Gallet has a couple nice ones in L'Homme and Open. Montana (Red), R de Capucci, Capucci PH, and Romeo Gigli Sud Est are outstanding. I also noticed an OS & BdP association. Tried BdP, swapped it away as I found I kept reaching past it on the shelf for some of those mentioned above.

Thumbs up Re: Something like Old Spice but better

Well, I picked up a bottle of PS yesterday. Smells something like Old Spice, but definitely different. In fact, once the dry down is well under way and that initial citrus/lemon scent has passed this stuff smells almost identical to Opium for women (to me anyway). After about an hour on me it takes on that old time classic gentlemanly type scent that I always liked about Old Spice before they changed it. Even then PS doesn't smell like OS to me, but it's a great classic in its own right. I think I'll be wearing this often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    I love the spice family and could provide a long list of "tries". Roger & Gallet has a couple nice ones in L'Homme and Open. Montana (Red), R de Capucci, Capucci PH, and Romeo Gigli Sud Est are outstanding. I also noticed an OS & BdP association. Tried BdP, swapped it away as I found I kept reaching past it on the shelf for some of those mentioned above.
    i think open by roger and gallet smells like dial gold soap...exactly like it!

Dependent

Nobody mentioned Parfums de Nicolai New York! Totally the classy version of Old Spice -- more depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Bois du Portugal is not that new, but it is "something like old spice, ONLY MUCH BETTER".
    Much much better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I've always thought that L'Homme Sage by Divine could be the modern day Old Spice.
    +1!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    What? Nothing's better than Old Spice!
    I used to think so, having smelled it daily all my childhood, and very often till now (40+ years) till i came across Bois 1920's Vetiver Ambrato: Old Spice with hints of vetiver.

Search out the note pyramids of both frags and see why.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Nobody mentioned Parfums de Nicolai New York! Totally the classy version of Old Spice -- more depth.
    I agree

I tweak it: I add to it some musk, geraniol and eugenol. Be carefull, though, for it can end up being bolder than it is.

Guerlain Heritage and Zino Davidoff - they both, although very different amongst each other, share with Old Spice a strong, almost powdery, conservative style wood-leather base