Code of Conduct

Default Estee Lauder Knowing

Friend claims it's the greatest thing he has ever smelled on women. I have never heard of it. How good is it?

Default Re: Estee Lauder Knowing

I liked it at first but it's gradually began to annoy me. It's a big, floral chypre slightly on the sour side for my tastes, now that I've given it a few wears.

On the plus side, it's pretty cheap!

Ulta has it .I tried it on there .It is closely related to Paloma Picasso and Diva by Ungaro .Now I own ,like,and wear Paloma and Diva but Knowing was a bit stronger and less floral . It would be an easy unisex nowadays -at least to my nose.Definitely try before you buy(full retail at least )Or get a mini on Ebay.
    For me ,Knowing is an eventually -probably.

I think of it as a fruity, green rose. It's nice, but I think Montana's Parfum de Peau is better if you're looking for a mossy floral. I love both of the bottles!

Love it on the right woman. Very sexy.
    Jan Pieter

Blog Entries

Do you like Crisp cypre flowers with leather thats what Knowing smells like
    very crisp flowers with leather it's almost like Paloma Picasso without the
    resins and Spicy accords.

Hillaire

Well, very little gets me as excited as Estee Lauder, and Knowing is my favorite of the house!!

I find it to be dark, sexy and brooding. It's very woody and leathery, floral, but not too sweet. And I think it tops the genre of dark, rosy chypres, which happens to be my favorite genre.

Not to mention, it's a Bernard Chant creation, and I love all of his fragrances!

Other notable dark rose you might know, for reference are: Gucci L'Arte, Sisley Soir de Lune, Ungaro Diva, PG Corps et Ames, Jil Sander No. 4....

I'd agree that Montana's Parfum de Peau was on par once (It was DIVINE.), but it's been horribly reformulated, and the old stuff is hard to find AND hard to identify. Estee Lauder, the other hand, has not reformulated anything, and it's a delight.

And as Suga points out, it's not too expensive, so it's a safe investment.

Basenotes Plus

Oh how I love Knowing! When it came out I had to wear it sneak-ily on weekends and evenings because it was the signature scent of a co-worker in a small office. Diva and Paloma Picasso have never floated my boat the way Knowing does.
    Similar in character are L'arte de Gucci and Teatro alla scala
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Totally agree with jpkunst...on the right woman, Knowing is spectacular rose, woods and leather..like no other scent. However, I've smelled it on others and it was sour and flat.

I don't think my chemistry is best suited to it...I can wear a small dose, in the right weather....but unfortunately, while O.K., it's not spectacular on me
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Another fan of Knowing here. It's a mossy rosy chypre, deep golden & green smelling to me. I think it's a perfect fragrance for fall, but it's a classic, so maybe someone who likes today's sheerer styles will not care for it. Try before you buy, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I liked it at first but it's gradually began to annoy me. It's a big, floral chypre slightly on the sour side for my tastes, now that I've given it a few wears.

On the plus side, it's pretty cheap!

This was exactly my experience with the bottle I had.A generous family friend gave me a box of several EL fragrances as a teenager,and though it wore me down,I still think Knowing was the best of the bunch.While it's not for me,I agree it could be wonderful on the right person.
    The nose wants what it wants!

I agree with everyone above who loves it (although I don't find the rose particularly prominent like it is in L'Arte and Diva) and I will acknowledge that it can be an aquired taste. It has a bitter edge that gives it its unique and powerful signature, but lots of people don't like that. And it's easy to overapply - you must be careful with it! I had the body lotion some time ago and I think it was this softer version of the fragrance that initially won me over.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Default Estee Lauder Knowing

Knowing is a rose chypre like many of those mentioned above. What distinguishes it is its lack of a sweet element that some of the others share. Diva has its honey and Paloma has sweet balsams. Knowing has a dry woodiness that perfectly ties the moss to the spiced rose. The key here is the rose. Not a dewy rose, not a flaming rose. This rose is dry verging on bitter and is in perfect accord with the moss. This is the fragrance I'd recommend when people ask for a rose that a man could wear, which is funny because I'd wear anything I like whether targeted to boys or girls. Also funny because the EL fragrances always seem to have that suggestion of solid, practical American femininity (I guess I'm falling for marketing here.) But you know what? Knowing shares as much (categorically) with the rose chypres as it does (in tone ) with men's power fragrances of the 80s. It is huge, woody, has preternatural sillage and a half-life of days. My god, this could be Antaeus.
    jtd

I sampled it in a department store and loved it. The SA actually talked me out of buying it.

Months later I noticed an unpleasantly strong chypre perfume on someone sitting next to me. Asked what it was (nicely). It was Knowing.

Made me want to do the "sampling on another person " test before all perfume purchases!

It is definitely a fine fragrange, but I find it a little too in-your-face for me.

[jtd--your description is spot on!]
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I love it. It's dark, rich, mysterious, and never too sweet. It is also packs a MONSTER wallop and should be applied lightly! In general, the Estee Lauders are not the shrinking violets of the scent world, are they?
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

thanks for the feedback, ladies! much appreciated!! please tell me it doesn't smell anything like youth dew as it makes me ill. so does mitsouko and samsara.
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 20th October 2010 at 01:38 AM.

Knowing is a classic in the Estee lineup, and itself is a classic chypre. Not for everyday wear or even office wear for most, yet refined and even unisex. It is very strong and has presence. Not airy and aquatic at all.

For a woman mature (and not just in age) or a man with confidence to pull this off.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Knowing is definitely NOT airy. It is dark, heavy and rosewood/woody, fruity, a little bit "soapy" (that's the leather, oddly enough)...and dry on me, but in a good way. And not the tiniest bit green. (honestly, it does go a little sweet on me but many scents do that.) I think of it as a scent for a mature woman (or man, actually)... EL's scent (Aramis) JHL is a "more feminine" rose to my nose than Knowing. Just goes to show that scent is uniquely individual at times.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Hillaire

I have to chime in again as to its unisex potential. My BF wears it and considers it totally appropriate to a man. It really would not strike anyone as a 'feminine' I think.

I actually get more compliments wearing this one, but I have to be sparing!

Yes, I agree it is a "handle with care" type of fragrance. I enjoy mine occassionally, but have to be careful not to overspray
    Evenstar

A while back I hugged a friend goodbye and I just had to ask- what's that perfume you got on? Estee Lauder's Knowing! I looked it up right away online, never took notice of it before then.
    Last edited by Eliza; 20th October 2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Blog Entries

I think it's a beautiful classic. It was the only scent that my mother could wear after they ruined Arpege by watering it down.

I'm wearing it today, because I'm VERY suggestible. Oh, it smells so good on this rainy day! Sweeter than I remember, but so dark and mysterious and greeny-rose. It reminds me quite a bit of L'Ombre dans l'Eau. Also, I am reminded all over again that Knowing is strong enough to kill small pets and livestock at 20 paces ...
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Wifey loves EL Knowing. She has a largish wardrobe but Knowing is her default frag. I just bought her a second bottle within a year, recently. Apart from Ubar, this is the one i like most (maybe, just maybe, that is why she wears it so much [yeah, yeah, in my dreams, i hear....])
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I'd agree that Montana's Parfum de Peau was on par once (It was DIVINE.), but it's been horribly reformulated, and the old stuff is hard to find AND hard to identify.
    In my experience, anything older than the current Italian butchering is good stuff. This Italian reissue is packaged in a blue box with a depiction of an orange helix bottle on it: STAY AWAY! Older formulations are packaged in a blue box with blue text (original) or a blue box with black/silver text (90's reformulation with synthetic castoreum).

Knowing is fabulous- a very different animal to Youth Dew. I tend to think of Youth Dew as Mae West and Knowing as Lauren Bacall. So classy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    In my experience, anything older than the current Italian butchering is good stuff. This Italian reissue is packaged in a blue box with a depiction of an orange helix bottle on it: STAY AWAY! Older formulations are packaged in a blue box with blue text (original) or a blue box with black/silver text (90's reformulation with synthetic castoreum).
    Good information, and sad to hear. I am glad now I still have my mother's 20 yr old bottle.

Oddly enough, I find the 2010 version of Knowing closer to the vintage PP than today's PP is.
    Wearing Knowing today. Swoon!