Code of Conduct

Default Collection help: What am I missing?

I'm not great at classifying scents. I can recognize oriental/woodsy, aquatic, etc. But that's where it ends. Even after all these years, I'm really still a nubile to this whole scent gambit. Are there any big, categorical gaps in the collection I've assembled so far? I know this isn't the first thread of this kind, but I would love/cherish/appreciate any feedback.

Armani Acqua di Gio PH
    Bvlgari Aqva PH
    Creed Royal Water
    Davidoff Cool Water
    Dolce & Gabanna PH
    Givenchy Pi PH
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes PH
    J.P. Gaultier Le Male PH
    Mugler A*Men Pure Malt PH
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Tommy Bahama PH
    YSL Body Kouros PH
    YSL Live Jazz PH
    YSL M7 PH
    YSL Opium PH
    YSL Rive Gauche PH

Samples/atomizers...

Creed GIT
    Creed Himilaya
    Creed Original Santal
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Gucci PH
    Lalique Encre Noir

Thanks, David.
    Last edited by Rumblefish; 19th October 2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Default Re: Collection help: What am I missing?

Try some Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle, L'artisan Parfumeur. And Guerlain of course! As well as Chanel.

I think you have a pretty solid collection! The only suggestions I would throw out there:

1) Perhaps a true "powerhouse" masculine scent
    2) Maybe an "off-the-beaten path" fragrance....not as a slight, but I would say the majority of yours are pretty commerically popular. As a big "novelty guy" I like things that are less uncommon than more so. Maybe this is were a niche fragrance could really fit it.

Also you have definitely a lot of aquatic and/or citrus fragrances.

Not many gourmands, and no rose notes.

For the former ones you might wanna sample the parfumerie generale line , New Harlem from Bond or Vanille absolu from Montale. For the rose (which admittedly might will have to grow on you since it's kind of weird in the very beginning to get used to a rather feminine note, but which is one of my very favorite note in fragrances) I would suggest you to sample Une Rose from Malle, no 88 from C&Z, Caraceni, rose poivrée from Different company and of course the Montale, mainly Black out and Queen Rose. Noir de Noir by Tom Ford is interesting as well as the Labo Rose 31.

You could also add some floral without the rose, try carnal flower (Malle) for Tuberose, Iris Poudré (Malle) or Bois d'iris (Diff. Company), Lys Mediterranee (Malle), or C&Z Oxford and Cambridge, Gris Clair (Lutens) or Caron Pour un homme) for Lavander. Intense Tiare is a beautiful frag from Montale if you like Tiare.

Finally, you can try some of the stuff that don't really fit into one category such as L ibole de Lubin, Chergui, Nasomatto Absynthe, L'air du désert marocain, or L'homme sage from Divine. Those are all amazing fragrances in my opinion that could fit any wardrobe as being quite unique.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Looks fairly well rounded I would say get some nice strong woodsy scents, a few vetivers and some gourmands.

I personally feel that if you have a perfume for every occasion you can think of then your collection is complete. You can either keep replacing the finished bottle with the same or go for an upgrade, eg. Cool Water to GIT.

Thanks for the responses guys. Wonder if I can knock out a few of those birds with the same stone---Something like Musc Ravageur (I've been eyeing) would prob. satisfy niche, gourmand, and maybe even powerhouse
    I've been looking at Antaeus, but I'm waiting for an eBay bargain. Staying away from Kouros though

Any masculine rose recommendations? I just picked up an atomizer of Encre Noire to try out a vetiver, as its a note I'm not especially familiar with identifying in other colognes where it takes a back seat.

Also to update--I woke up this morning to find that I had won Narciso Rod PH at auction. So add that to the list!
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

I think you haven't got a chypre. Try Cartusia Numero Uno.

As suggested you miss roses, chypres, a good leather too and of course maybe something more out of the mass...
    just 3 suggestions:
    L'Artisan Voleur de roses
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Knize Ten

Your Collection (at a quick sort):

Aquatic: Armani Acqua di Gio PH, Bvlgari Aqva PH, Davidoff Cool Water
    Fresh/fougere:?/Citrus/Wood: YSL Live Jazz PH, Hermes Terre d'Hermes PH
    Citrus/leather, Freshish: Dolce & Gabanna PH, Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Oriental/Gourmand (sweet): Givenchy Pi PH, YSL Body Kouros PH, YSL Opium PH, Mugler A*Men Pure Malt PH, J.P. Gaultier Le Male PH
    Soapy/Floral: YSL Rive Gauche PH
    Woody: Tommy Bahama PH, YSL M7 PH
    ??? Creed Royal Water

So what I'd recommend... You might like something clean and soapy like Mugler's Cologne. Also something a little more soapy or powdery (I'm not sure what. How about Prada Amber?).
    if you like Rive gauche, and don't have a typical powerhouse, try Azzaro PH. It's similar without the powder and a little easier to bare then Kouros.
    If you want more citrus, something like the D&G PH might be Dior Eau Sauvage. Try other types of citrus like grapefruit (Hermes Pamplemouse Rose, guerlain Pamplelune?) or lime (trumers?).
    For more Woods I'd suggest a nice sandalwood like MPG's, or a cedar like Gucci PH.
    You have a lot of sweet gourmands, but how about some savory ones like Bvlgari Black?

other areas... I see a big Vetiver gap, try the usual ones including Guerlain's plus encre noire for a different take.
    Try some more dense "mossy" woods.
    and of course, there's a huge gap missing with any sort of florals... they're not all for girls. Hunt around because there are some great ones. For example, try Amuage Lyric.
    I think you could also add something “interesting”, like a smokey incense (Comme Des Garconc series), or a weird fruit like figs (try Marc Jacobs).
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Fahrenheit is a must try for everybody. To me it still holds the medal for most unique fragrance ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Your Collection (at a quick sort):

Aquatic: Armani Acqua di Gio PH, Bvlgari Aqva PH, Davidoff Cool Water
    Fresh/fougere:?/Citrus/Wood: YSL Live Jazz PH, Hermes Terre d'Hermes PH
    Citrus/leather, Freshish: Dolce & Gabanna PH, Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Oriental/Gourmand (sweet): Givenchy Pi PH, YSL Body Kouros PH, YSL Opium PH, Mugler A*Men Pure Malt PH, J.P. Gaultier Le Male PH
    Soapy/Floral: YSL Rive Gauche PH
    Woody: Tommy Bahama PH, YSL M7 PH
    ??? Creed Royal Water

So what I'd recommend... You might like something clean and soapy like Mugler's Cologne. Also something a little more soapy or powdery (I'm not sure what. How about Prada Amber?).
    if you like Rive gauche, and don't have a typical powerhouse, try Azzaro PH. It's similar without the powder and a little easier to bare then Kouros.
    If you want more citrus, something like the D&G PH might be Dior Eau Sauvage. Try other types of citrus like grapefruit (Hermes Pamplemouse Rose, guerlain Pamplelune?) or lime (trumers?).
    For more Woods I'd suggest a nice sandalwood like MPG's, or a cedar like Gucci PH.
    You have a lot of sweet gourmands, but how about some savory ones like Bvlgari Black?

other areas... I see a big Vetiver gap, try the usual ones including Guerlain's plus encre noire for a different take.
    Try some more dense "mossy" woods.
    and of course, there's a huge gap missing with any sort of florals... they're not all for girls. Hunt around because there are some great ones. For example, try Amuage Lyric.
    I think you could also add something “interesting”, like a smokey incense (Comme Des Garconc series), or a weird fruit like figs (try Marc Jacobs).
    Great feedback, thanks so much. I'd spent some time on Fragrantica trying to classify what I own, but you did a much better job at it (in much less time, I'd imagine). The Encre Noire sample should be waiting on my doorstep when I get home, and from what I've read, that could be the vetiver I've been missing. I'm actually very excited to try that one.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I'm assembling a long new list of scents to sample, and your suggestions will be front and center. Some of these responses are totally invaluable. Rep +1000 to each of you