Code of Conduct

Default Most Famous Spiced Woody Female Fragrances

I believe that Coco Chanel is one of the most famous spiced woody perfumes that i like !
    Please submit your opinion of which one is the most famous in this category of perfumes!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Default Re: Most Famous Spiced Woody Female Fragrances

I will add Cinnabar by Estee Lauder. Jicky pdt and parfum turn very animal woody on me. Not sure if it fits the spicy?
    DONNA

Youth Dew, Opium, Feminité du Bois?

Bois de Iles and Samsara come to mind in the category you are after, but I
    am not sure if Samsara has any spice notes in it. Bois des Iles has a delightful
    gingerbread note, however.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Interesting question sophi - I'm finding it a bit difficult to come up with more than one or two that I would describe as both woody and spicy. Coco is one of my all-time favorite orientals, but I don't think of it as woody, actually. It's certainly spicy, but to me it's ambery and floral rather than woody. Bois des Iles came to my mind too, but I don't think it's very spicy (I've never really gotten the gingerbread note in there, as famous as it is!) and I agree with you kewert about Samsara not being so spicy either. Coromandel is woody and incensy without spice. And I'd say Féminité du Bois is resinous and woody but not so spicy.

Donna's onto something with Cinnabar. I think it's the balsam that provides the woody feel of it...maybe in Youth Dew, too. Those are rather woody, aren't they?

The only one I can think of without trying too hard is Dolce Vita; it's softly spicy with cardamom and cinnamon, and it's definitely on a woody base. EL's Sensuous is a bit woody (although I think of it as more ambery, too) and it has a little spice, but Sensuous Noir is more spicy and it's on the same base - so maybe that one fits! Obsession is ambery as well, but there's a lot going on in that one, and I think woods and spices are in there too.

Oh - and how about Eau des Merveilles? It's got spice and wood, and it's actually one of my favorites! I think of it as ambery, too, but I think it's also woody enough to qualify.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Dolce Vita.

my favorites would be Theorema, Parfum Sacre, Organza Indecence and Sensuous.

There are so many great spiced woody mentioned...Estee Lauder brand has too many...Cinnabar,Sensuous,Sensuous Noir,Youth Dew...
    Then Organza Indecence,Feminite De Bois,Theorama,Parfum Sacre,Dolce Vita,Obsession ,Bois des Iles,Samsara, Opium,Eau Des Marveilles!!!
    Yes, each one of them is wonderful spice-woody famous and known for its special aroma
    LOVE IS BEST
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Basenotes Plus

Two that I haven't seen listed above are Cinema by Yves Saint Laurent and Organza by Givenchy.

You might look into Diptyque's Eau Lente, though I suspect it's more spice than wood. Good stuff.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Opium - my fave peppery sweet, woody concoction.

Narcisse noir - spice and cedar, has a clean, soapy base. I can't stand the blast of spicy carnation that lasts forever on me.

Jungle elephant - cinnanmon and cardamon + many others assault the nose and never seem to leave. Base smells like cinnamon pods, really woody

Asja - sadly discontinued spice and rose - I detect cinnamon, nutmeg, probably bayleaf (that green dry, peppery lemon)

Youth dew - everyone nows it, at least here, no need to describe

Cinnabar - the most elegant cinnamon ever created. Colder and less sweet than Opium

Dioressence - i smell pepper and herbs although not listed + cinnamon

Bal a Versaille - cloves and tons of others, smoke and insense + animalic note

Tabu - similar to Bal a Versaille

Theorema = P. Picasso Temptation (heavy cinnamon) + other spices

Madness - to my nose salty rose + cough syrup with whatever spices they produce those

and many others

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    You might look into Diptyque's Eau Lente, though I suspect it's more spice than wood. Good stuff.
    I do find this way more spicy than woody;I also think I get a bit of rose.At any rate,it's a must-try for spice lovers-it is really good stuff!Don't know that it's all that famous outside of Basenotes,but that just makes it more special.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Plus

L'Intigante by Parfums d'Orsay is both spicy and woodsy. It's top notes are Black Pepper and Spices. Middle notes are Camellia and Floral Notes. Base notes are Vanilla, Woodsy notes, Suede and Musks.

Life Threads by La Prairie has Tangerine, Plum and Clove for top notes. Middle notes are Pepper, Lily of the Valley, Ylang Ylang, Rose, Cinnamon and Coriander. Base notes are Cedar, Patchouli, Myrrh, Frankincense and Vanilla.

Irissime by Jacques Fath has Bergamot, Wisteria and Pink Pepper for top notes. Middle notes of Iris, May Rose, Sambac Jasmine. Base notes of Cedar, Musk and Amber.

None of these are "famous" but they do fit the criteria of spicy and woody.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 20th October 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Opium, of course. And one that hasn't been mentioned yet: L' Heure Bleue.

CdG White is very spicey with a prominent wood drydown, but it is not "beautiful" like Coco, so you may not like this one. White is more rough around the edges and casual than Coco.

Perhaps not famous but one unusual woody and spicy scent is Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne. It has a strong cardamom note and a base of cedar and sandalwood. It doesn't suit all, but it's one of the most distinctive fragrances that I own and I really enjoy it. It's also one of the few scents I wear that registers with my SO, chiefly because he says the smell reminds him of a panettone (which is a good thing apparently!).

Quote Originally Posted by devilcat View Post
    Perhaps not famous but one unusual woody and spicy scent is Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne. It has a strong cardamom note and a base of cedar and sandalwood. It doesn't suit all, but it's one of the most distinctive fragrances that I own and I really enjoy it. It's also one of the few scents I wear that registers with my SO, chiefly because he says the smell reminds him of a panettone (which is a good thing apparently!).
    Ormonde Woman is indeed unique. I love it. I love panettone, too, but I don't smell the connection. :-)

Not listed as feminine, but how about Timbuktu? More incense-y than woods, but spicy for sure. And one that I'm dying to try - Nuit de Noel, has both spices and woods listed in the notes. Y'all are such enablers - now I have to go look all these up and decide in what order I want to try them!
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Hillaire

Well my favorities are not 'famous'; I am loving Amouage Memoir Woman just now. I am also crazy about Histoires de Parfum 1740 Marquis de Sade and Lubin's new Itasca. I also recommend the Oliver Durbano line. Amouage also makes Jubilation 25 and Lyric Woman, which are notable in this genre.

My vote for the most famous spiced woods scents are:

Guerlain Samsara
    Guerlain Heritage
    YSL Opium
    YSL La Nuit PH
    Lancome Magnifique
    Fendi Fendi
    Fendi Fendi Uomo
    Chanel Coco
    Chanel Egoiste
    Gucci Gucci PH
    EL Youth Dew
    EL Sensuous
    Pierre Cardin Pierre Cardin
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Tom Ford For Men Extreme

not sure about the famous, but these are worth mentioning:
    Extreme by Bois 1920
    L'eau de Kasaneka by Menard

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Ormonde Woman is indeed unique. I love it. I love panettone, too, but I don't smell the connection. :-)
    He makes his own panettone, which is heavy on the cardamom and I think it is this that OW reminds him of...Now all I need to find is a scent that smells like Play-Doh and he will be putty in my hands! Any suggestions anyone?

Blog Entries

Raffinee by Houbigant

Amouage Lyric Woman by Amouage

Habanita by Molinard

Youth-Dew by Estee Lauder

Tabu by Dana

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Le Baiser Du Dragon by Cartier

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Adding one more :my SotE Omnia by Bvlgari!So well made spice - woody and even so sweet with delicious chocolate note!
    LOVE IS BEST
    -- Martin Buber

Maybe not the most famous but my most wanted at the moment Sensuous Noir by Estee Lauder. I love this smell!
    http://myfragrantwardrobe.blogmesin.com

Nu edp comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by devilcat View Post
    He makes his own panettone, which is heavy on the cardamom and I think it is this that OW reminds him of...Now all I need to find is a scent that smells like Play-Doh and he will be putty in my hands! Any suggestions anyone?
    I just tried Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue for the first time and I agree with those that it smells like Play-Doh. I think I'll try it again today; can't decide what I think of it except that it is very interesting.

That panettone sounds wonderful!