Code of Conduct

Default Single Note Perfume - Can you help, please?

I’d like to make some one-note perfumes, let’s say 30% essential oil in 70% perfumer’s alcohol.

If I use one of the citrus family (or any other top note), should I add an anchor anyway?

Thank you very much for your help,

Lorena

Default Re: Single Note Perfume - Can you help, please?

Let us know what oils/aromachemicals you have and we can suggest something.

You could make some extremely dilute individual samples and then try some on singly and together. You will soon see why an anchor is useful. I think it was Luca who put lavender on one arm and lavender with ambergris on the other and described the result as 3D lavender.

Look at the good scents guide also, because it recommends the maximum safe dilution of each oil in a perfume product. 30% would be way too high for something irritable like oakmoss, but fine for something safer like tea tree or lavender. Some citrus for instance is considered photo toxic at high percentages. It is unwise to consider wearing essential oils at high concentrations.

I was thinking of starting with Lime EO and ginger CO2, and I understand I will have to look carefully at the percentages. Thank you ever so much for your advice, and I will surely follow it.

For instance there, the good scents company has 20 limes listed. I usually take an educated guess as to which one may be closest to my own.

Here is lime oil distilled mexico :- http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/es1003341.html
    Has 20 hours longevity here and recommends a maximum of 15% in the fragrance concentrate (which means that gets diluted again to the perfume, edt or cologne strength)

Here is ginger root CO2 extract australia :- http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/es1101181.html
    Doesn't say longevity and recommends a maximum of 5% in the fragrance concentrate.

See what oils or alcohol you have to mix it with and make a weak blend. Many oils smell nicer when much diluted.
    This is a long and happy journey, have fun.

Again, thank you very much - You've been most helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenax View Post
    I’d like to make some one-note perfumes, let’s say 30% essential oil in 70% perfumer’s alcohol.

If I use one of the citrus family (or any other top note), should I add an anchor anyway?

Thank you very much for your help,

Lorena
    i think 30% of a citrus oil is most likely going to be an unbearably loud and short lived topnote.
    10% is probably fine.
    there are some odorless fixatives available, you could try that.

Thank you Gido, I'll surely look into it

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    there are some odorless fixatives available, you could try that.
    example of natural one?
    Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. ~Confucius

As has been mentioned, 30% is extremely high for a single oil. Only a couple I can think of would be OK at that strength. Most oils would not have much beauty as 30%. It's amazing how far you can dilute some of these ingredients and still have them not only detectable, but loud. If you dilute in oil, you could probably get by with a higher concentration, but it will also mute the more volatile oils.
    Last edited by JonB; 24th October 2010 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankica View Post
    example of natural one?
    i don't know. maybe some kind of thick odorless oil that dissolves well in alcohol?

I think that a single note like lime oil has a great many component fragrance molecules and that you need not feel fettered by only having the fragrance be lime oil. The citrus-lavender-coumarin/tonka accord with basenotes of either oakmoss, ambergris or similar aromachemicals, vetiver, vanilla is classic cologne accord that works very well. You can use litsea cubeba, a longer-lasting lemongrass like natural, or a great many synthetics to augment and extend the citrus facets of your fragrance, from traces of oranger crystals or aurantiol, to musks and woody molecules. Linalool (synth) or rosewood (nat) also help give some depth to citrus oils. In my experience, ginger CO2 doesn't have a great capacity to anchor a fragrance, but does go extremely well with citrus into the heart of a fragrance, but you will need a base if you don't want to re-apply every one to two hours.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Again, thank you for your amazing help.