Code of Conduct

Default How much is too much?

Hi

To use cologne, spray on wrist, touch/rub with other wrist, and put on neck, behind ear, and/or on chest

How do you know if you are wearing too much cologne? I heard it can depend on the oiliness of the skin and other factors.

I heard somewhere that you apply cologne 15 minutes before going out so that the scent is not too strong. Is that right?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How much is too much?

It depends on the strength and projection of the cologne mostly. More than 2 sprays of Fierce will clear out an auditorium, yet you could swim in a pool of Gendarme and offend nobody.

Always err on the side of applying too little.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes!

How do you know you are wearing too much? When people in your carpool open the windows in the middle of winter....Seriously, what adonis said is good advice. And if you skip the behind the ear and back of neck sprays, you will have less chance of sillage that bothers others. You will be able to smell and enjoy a chest spray (under your shirt), but it won't travel so much either.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes!

How do you know you are wearing too much? When people in your carpool open the windows in the middle of winter....Seriously, what adonis said is good advice. And if you skip the behind the ear and back of neck sprays, you will have less chance of sillage that bothers others. You will be able to smell and enjoy a chest spray (under your shirt), but it won't travel so much either.
    I spray on my chest. I should start spraying on the back of my neck. When people do notice the scent, they like it and want to get closer. My goal is, if someone is a foot away they should be able to detect the scent, and if someone is more than two feet away they shouldn't smell anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the society,culture and class. I remembering getting into the elevator first week of college as a freshman going to my first class with perfume on. As is the norm here in the UAE. At the time i as a student in the US. It's uncommon and almost a taboo to be in public unperfumed. So the dude in the turns to me while looking at his watch and says ' wow , on a date this early? ' to which I responded why would you think I'm on a date? Because you've got cologne on ( I probably had Bulgari Pour Homme extreme or something equally light and fresh).
    I didnt say anything else because its obvious that the typical US freshman doesn't wear perfume in the morning. Culture shock indeed .

So really it depends on the culture , society and class.

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    Depends on the society,culture and class. I remembering getting into the elevator first week of college as a freshman going to my first class with perfume on. As is the norm here in the UAE. At the time i as a student in the US. It's uncommon and almost a taboo to be in public unperfumed. So the dude in the turns to me while looking at his watch and says ' wow , on a date this early? ' to which I responded why would you think I'm on a date? Because you've got cologne on ( I probably had Bulgari Pour Homme extreme or something equally light and fresh).
    I didnt say anything else because its obvious that the typical US freshman doesn't wear perfume in the morning. Culture shock indeed .

So really it depends on the culture , society and class.
    Haha, I wouldnt worry about this. As a college student in America I wear something all day everyday. I have never had anyone comment with anything but a compliment. It actually seems to me like most people I meet don't wear a fragrence and if they do they don't put enough on for me to be able to detect it. I have a 3 or less rule for my SotD. Most of my fragrences I find I can throw two sprays on and be ok. If I am wearing a lighter fragrence I will put three on.

Regardless I agree with Adonis when he says "Always err on the side of applying too little." I work in a recreation facility and there is this one lady who puts on a ton of D&G Light Blue. I can literally smell her all the way down a hall, even when shes not working out. As soon as she walks in the building everyone knows its her. My guess is she throws on like 6 sprays. I have always wanted to ask haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Well to answer your question, it really depends on the persons skin. For example, I have very dry skin so with any fragrance I use, even Le Male or A*Men, I'm lucky to get 8 hours and project any for that matter so I can get away with overspraying without an issue. However, a buddy of mine literally can wear 2-4 sprays of Aqua Di Gio and it'll last him all day and project monsterously. He worked a 13 hour shift and it literally lasted that long on him and you could smell him everywhere that day! I was amazed! If I use ADG I need to spray at least 6 times and even at that it sticks close to my skin and lasts about 5-8 hours or so. It all depends on the oilyness of your skin so I suggest you try different numbers of sprays and see what works for you best. It's all trial and error so good luck! I might want to add that 2 sprays of Fierce on me is literally non-existant, I use about 6 or so and it works perfectly. See what I mean? Good Luck!

OK I think I got it down

Can you guys recommend me some colognes for a 19 yr old college student to wear during winte (I live in upstate NY btw)

Thx!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stgermaine View Post
    Hi
    To use cologne, spray on wrist, touch/rub with other wrist, and put on neck, behind ear, and/or on chest
    I go in reverse of that: chest, stomach, back of neck, and a quick shot or two to the stomach to rub onto my forearms. Then again, I'm nearsighted enough that before the morning coffee kicks in, I'd surely miss a target as small and as far away as my wrists.

How do you know if you are wearing too much cologne? I heard it can depend on the oiliness of the skin and other factors.
    Plants wilting in your wake, would-be muggers running away in terror, HAZMAT teams approaching even more carefully, that sort of thing.

What would I recommend to a 19-y.o. college student? Whatever smells after a couple of hours of wear like it suits how you see yourself. After all, Montale Black Aoud is more likely to fit an emo goth-wannabe with a trust fund than it might a cleancut AROTC cadet with a couple of part-time jobs to stretch the scholarship. What the heck - try l'Anarchiste by Caron: not many people wear it, it's not "old", and it can be had at a reasonable price.

I heard somewhere that you apply cologne 15 minutes before going out so that the scent is not too strong. Is that right?
    The opening on a lot of good men's fragrances can be a little harsh, perfumey, or both. Also, the average guy needs some time to find clean clothes that mostly match (unless I'm projecting based on the whole nearsightedness thing.) Add drive-time, and I'm probably getting in to work an hour after putting any fragrance on.

It all depends on the fragrance you are using. Some of the ones I have, well it literally needs one spray becasue they are too strong with for example 3 sprays. Other perfumes i have to spray with 5-6 sprays. And yes I always spray 15 mins or so before I go out, otherwise it might be too strong.

The only fragrance i have right now is Cool Water by Davidoff. I spray one to my chest and one on my wrist (then I rub on temples and other wrist). I can barely smell the ones on my wrist unless I put my nose 3 inches away from my wrist. If you can't smell your own cologne except when very close to where you applied it is that too little?

Post Thanks / Like

I can barely smell the ones on my wrist unless I put my nose 3 inches away from my wrist. If you can't smell your own cologne except when very close to where you applied it is that too little?
    I think that's reasonable for exposed skin, especially the wrist - where not only is the fragrance better exposed for evaporation but also might be getting rubbed off onto clothing or other things. Don't forget that all the while your nose is working on ways to "blank out" your own scent (including what you're wearing) so that it can pick out any changes around you.

Honestly, you should judge all by yourself or ask a trusted friend(s) regularly if you've got too much. There are so many variables; occasion, context, body chemistry, weather, mood and of course most importantly the fragrance itself. It simply takes experimenting, you just need to break whatever habit you've had before and start thinking of each fragrance and each wearing individually. For example, when I was younger, I used to just go 3 sprays on the neck. Considering everything I owned back then was most likely weak fresh fragrance, it was hardly detectable hours later. My dad on the other hand, goes about 7 sprays regardless of the perfume.

Personally, I did not find all those how to wear perfumes guides useful, I have to make up my mind with every single instance and so should you. Don't be afraid to wear too much, experiment, having an extra spray of an average perfume won't kill anyway. The only tip I can give you is, there's no standardized way to apply every perfume you've got.

I usually spray it once on my clavicle. Maybe I'll spray it on a hard surface first, and then wipe it onto the inside of my elbow. The idea is to get it on a pressure point, but more than one full spray is too much.

Light Frags - 4~5 Sprays, Cut through air ones - 3 Sprays

Post Thanks / Like

OK I think I got it down

Can you guys recommend me some colognes for a 19 yr old college student to wear during winte (I live in upstate NY btw)

Thx!
    Everlast Original 1910 - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122748.html

Zirh Corduroy - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124511.html

Look on Parfum1.com for unbelievably great prices for these two. Also Burberry London for Men is great, although it's a bit more $.

see all my fragrances share the same 9 spray routine 2 on the neck, 2 chest, one each inner elbow, one each thigh and one to the back of the neck.

sound like a lot but my skin eats fragrances and doesn't make them shoot off my skin for example Pure Malt which due to every ones opinions and reviews should be very strong as well as the original A*men but not on my skin with my 9 spray rule even with these sprays people have to come within 'my bubble of space' to smell them.

i think the amount for sprays is as personal to each individual as is their choice of cologne

Post Thanks / Like

The best way of knowing if you sprayed too much is asking other people. Unfortunately, most folks won't tell you if you did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have an tendency to put it on too much
    all over my body especially Molinard Habanita
    i remember someone had to open their car window
    because of the strength of it but
    i try just to spray around my cleavage
    and wrists

Post Thanks / Like

Some people have hyper-sensitive nose. 1-3 sprays can be enough for them. But some prefer more than that about 4-8. And some even more! What I'm trying to say is, different strokes for different folks!

Whatever suits you. So, spray away!!!