Code of Conduct

Default A useful aromachemical reference book I stumbled across

Sorry for dominating the postings this morning, but this may be useful

http://www.perfumerbook.com/Classify...0Chemicals.pdf

Default Re: A useful aromachemical reference book I stumbled across

Thank you!

Very helpful to have this in one document. Thanks.

oliverandco

thanks Mumsy

Thank you for sharing, looks good!
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

THE thread for all newbies DIY fragrance

One should be very careful about such books, within seconds of reading I found a mistake. Agrumen Aldehyde is described as smelling "Floral, aldehydic, hyacinth"; sorry it doesn't. Agrumen Aldehyde is green citrus herbal. That aside, such books will only ever be subjective; nothing replaces smelling the actual materials and making up your own mind as to how they smell.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    One should be very careful about such books, within seconds of reading I found a mistake. Agrumen Aldehyde is described as smelling "Floral, aldehydic, hyacinth"; sorry it doesn't. Agrumen Aldehyde is green citrus herbal. That aside, such books will only ever be subjective; nothing replaces smelling the actual materials and making up your own mind as to how they smell.
    i've been on a site with books that look exactly like this on (and probably is the same site) and have found big mistakes as well, sometimes up to a level that made me think, this guy is just bullshitting.

i agree that one must always rely on one's own observations; thorough studying your materials is absolutely essential. evaluate it on a scent strip an make notes about everything.

however a list or book with descriptions can be valuable in finding new materials. for that, i rely mostly on arctander. i have found his descriptions are most accurate, often they match 100% with the things i had scribbled down.

the manufacturers too, often mention how their materials smell, you can find them all together on bill's excellent site (the good scent company) and although they are often right, i have found they have the tendency to leave certain (unwanted) aspects out.

If you can afford it ( and can find it) Arctander is a very good buy indeed, and can be relied upon. Manufacturers want to sell their materials so will try to sex them up but are generally good. What is good about all this is that it will make you want to smell something you haven't before, and try to use it.