Code of Conduct

Question Can formula complete without musk?

Dear everyone,

I have done my new fragrance formula of siam jasmine. But I have just know that there is no musk (or musk derivative) in the formula. I've tried so many times to add musk in the formula but it cannot get along well with fresh flower with slightly fruity.

The longevity on the skin is not lower than standard. But I just quite unwell for the absent of musk.

Have anyone ever make the fragrance without musk?
    No perfect perfume without Bias.

Default Re: Can formula complete without musk?

There are many basenotes you can use other than musk. I do not use musk in most of my compositions. Try some sandalwood, oakmoss, Tonka or benzoin.

Thx. Actually I've use what you've commented but I do not get used to blending without musk.

Quote Originally Posted by KenGSoHigH View Post
    Thx. Actually I've use what you've commented but I do not get used to blending without musk.
    Hello, have you tried Opoponax? I've read that it is an alternative to animal musk. Careful, a little goes a long way!

Ambrette seed is a lovely vegetable musk. Orris can be very musky too and would be delightful with Jasmine I would imagine. In fact I'm going to try some together and see.

Quote Originally Posted by KenGSoHigH View Post
    Dear everyone,

I have done my new fragrance formula of siam jasmine. But I have just know that there is no musk (or musk derivative) in the formula. I've tried so many times to add musk in the formula but it cannot get along well with fresh flower with slightly fruity.

The longevity on the skin is not lower than standard. But I just quite unwell for the absent of musk.

Have anyone ever make the fragrance without musk?
    there are many, many types of musks. they are all different. did you try using other musks?

btw. lots of musks are essential to soft floral bouquets (often abstract aldehyde type) but less so for the fresh flowers floral type (like soliflores, trying to mimic the actual living flower). in other words, try using less; you should get a little of the effect, when needed, but not the actual musk note.
    Last edited by gido; 20th October 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddique View Post
    Hello, have you tried Opoponax? I've read that it is an alternative to animal musk. Careful, a little goes a long way!
    I've ever used it my last batch, I love the slightly fruity scent of it.
    But for that batch, it's smell awful. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Ambrette seed is a lovely vegetable musk. Orris can be very musky too and would be delightful with Jasmine I would imagine. In fact I'm going to try some together and see.
    I can say "Ambrett seed" as ambrettolide 10%DPG, is a "must" thing for me.
    I've already used it in Jasmine before this batch (but this batch also), I've find it help smoother but flat.
    Siam jasmine (one type of Jasmine Sambac require deep)

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    there are many, many types of musks. they are all different. did you try using other musks?

btw. lots of musks are essential to soft floral bouquets (often abstract aldehyde type) but less so for the fresh flowers floral type (like soliflores, trying to mimic the actual living flower). in other words, try using less; you should get a little of the effect, when needed, but not the actual musk note.
    Thanks so much.

Most natural perfumers (like me) mix their own basenote fixative or musk substitute. Mine consists of oakmoss, patchouli, labdanum, vanilla, sandalwood, cedar, oud, frankincense, ambergris, some florals and other stuff. It comes up very strong after aging and I only use tiny amounts of it but it supports florals (and most other stuff) very well in different dosages appropriate to the style..
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews