Code of Conduct

Default Aramis Tuscany vs. Havana

I have read a lot of rave reviews on Havana and am looking forward to trying it. I have tried Tuscany and don't dig it as much--too musky and heavy for LA weather.

How does Hvana compare? Is it as heavy? Is it easier to wear thatn Tuscany?

Default Re: Aramis Tuscany vs. Havana

Havana is similar to Montana Parfum d'Homme, Sybaris, and the new formulation of Red for Men by GBH (once you get to the drydown). It's a complex accord that seems to be a love it or hate it thing. Havana may be the most powdery and tobacco oriented of these kinds of frags. If I'm in the mood, I really like it, but I don't consider it an everyday/office frag.

I don't remember Tuscany well except that I didn't like it at all. However, if you want a light version of it, I think Jordache Man (1983) is worth sampling. It's being sold cheaply at online discounters so you may find it locally and be able to try it.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th July 2011 at 03:27 AM.

I like both Tuscany and Havana. I find Tuscany easier to wear overall, and more versatile, which probably isn't what you wanted to hear.

Havana can be too much in hot weather. It is more aromatic and "cologney" than Tuscany, at least in the initial and middle stages, and sometimes I find it cloying, even a bit oppressive. Tuscany is a simpler composition, and its rather straightforward, somewhat conservative fougere nature makes it easier to deal with.

Having said that, I think I'll wear Havana today. It has been a long time since I last wore it. If I get any different impressions I'll post them here.

Editing to say that my experience is with the original versions of both. I haven't tried the reissued versions in the Gentlemen's Collection.
    Last edited by noggs; 27th July 2011 at 03:43 AM.

Does it compare in any way to Versace Dreamer? D&G PH? I have both of those and really like them.

Tuscany smells very much like Azzaro Pour Homme. I am sure the right person can pull it off in a right weather. But for a 31 year old in Los Angeles--doesn't work. So I am hoping Havana is more wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Havana is similar to Montana Parfum d'Homme, Sybaris, and the new formulation of Red for Men by GBH (once you get to the drydown).
    Can't speak to the connection with Sybaris as I don't remember it that well, or Red for Men , but it is similar to Montana Parfum d'Homme, and IMO Montana is much better than Havana.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by musicdotcm View Post
    Tuscany smells very much like Azzaro Pour Homme. I am sure the right person can pull it off in a right weather. But for a 31 year old in Los Angeles--doesn't work. So I am hoping Havana is more wearable.
    I agree with you about the resemblance to Azzaro -- they are both aromatic fougeres. I like Tuscany's opening more, but both are a bit simple/hollow on the drydown imo.

Havana sounds heavier than Tuscany from what I can tell. Maybe something lighter for the City of Angels?

I think the new GBH Red would be ideal for those who like the Havana type drydown but want something that is better suited to warm weather, and it's selling for very little these days. If you don't mind a little synthetic wood in the far drydown, it's worth a shot.

Havana is nice but give Czech & Speake Cuba a try for something really nice

Hmm...I wearing Havana today and I'm not finding it as bothersome in the heat as I have in the past. It is extremely dry today, which is probably why it is wearing better. If the humidity were higher it might be a different story.

Can I inject Michael Kors for Men into this--how does that one compare? Does it have the cherry tabacco type scent?

Can I inject Michael Kors for Men into this--how does that one compare? Does it have the cherry tabacco type scent?
    Well, you're trying to compare frags that aren't especially similar, so you'd really need to tell us what you're seeking. Do you want a tobacco frag to wear in humid weather? For that, I'd reach for Tobaco Latino.

Tuscany is a petitgrain-heavy fougere. Very similar to Azzaro PH, minus the anise and with some floral notes added.

Havana is a spicy tobacco fougere. If you find Tuscany too heavy for warm weather this probably wouldn't be your first choice. I would also say it's more of an evening fragrance, something you'd wear with your favourite tweed jacket.

If you want an Aramis summer fragrance try New West or Life.

I have tried Tuscany and don't dig it as much--too musky and heavy for LA weather.

How does Havana compare? Is it as heavy? Is it easier to wear thatn Tuscany?
    Havana is much, much heavier, but you can always apply less of it. I wouldn't say it's harder to wear than Tuscany, but it certainly isn't easier. Both scents are quite dry, and react fairly well to heat, IMO.

Does it compare in any way to Versace Dreamer? D&G PH?
    Not like either of those; both are much softer and sweeter.

Havana is dry and spicy, and MK is very sweet and plump. Completely different takes on tobacco.

I just posted a review on Kiehl's Pour Homme essence oil, which bears a fairly strong resemblance to Havana in many ways. Check it out to get an idea of what you're in for: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129650.html
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 27th July 2011 at 03:25 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Dependent

I just tried the Kiehl's at the store the other day, very surprisingly robust. I don't like birch tar so it's not for me, but it's definitely a powerhouse. Not surprised it's from 87 -- the end of that era.

Tuscany is pretty much Paco Rabanne with an extra dose of green herbs. Havana is heavy, but it's bumblebee/hummingbird heavy: you can wear it happily in blazing heat. It's strong, but it floats.

Tuscany is a scent that I did not like, but others loved on me. I like Havana better, but my wife never really cared for it. Hmmm.

Neither is really in my "wheelhouse". Just not my types.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corvo View Post
    Tuscany is pretty much Paco Rabanne with an extra dose of green herbs. Havana is heavy, but it's bumblebee/hummingbird heavy: you can wear it happily in blazing heat. It's strong, but it floats.
    I don't agree about the resemblance with Paco Rabanne, since Tuscany has no leather, thank goodness.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Living near the coast in SE Florida I find Havana a perfect foil for most of the hot weather we get. Only on extremely humid days, those days when sweat just sits on you and cannot do its job via evaporative cooling, for me only on those days the complexity can make Havana a bit heavy to wear.

Tuscany is a different beast. Crisp, somewhat linear and far less complex than Havana, in my opinion Tuscany wears better here in the sunny south on relatively cooler (80 F and below) days.
    Last edited by kbe; 24th October 2011 at 11:31 AM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha