Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Angry Fed up with Celebrity Perfumes

I think they are getting out of hand now we have Katy Perry and now Rihanna is Releasing
    her own Perfume i mean what are these musicians trying to prove they want attention
    to themselves confession i love beyonce Heat but this is getting to be too much music
    has gone down the drain and perfumers need to wise up and make more high class
    perfume when they use to In the first half in the 20th century up to the 80's and
    mid 90's does anyone agree with me

Default Re: Fed up with Celebrity Perfumes

---
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 20th October 2010 at 10:34 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't Mind Alain Delon he is a great dignified actor
    i mean like kitschy celebs like lady gaga Katy Perry people
    like that Alain was a head of his time and Liz Taylor
    those are the celebs i love to see to release a new
    perfume

I, too, am fed up with every celebrity getting his/her own scent. From simply fronting as a model (as Carole Bouquet for Chanel, for instance), celebs now promote/own their own scent lines, cashing in on fans and starstruck consumers.

This is an old trend, by the way. Lillie Langtry, actress/courtesan and mistress to Edward, the Prince of Wales, in the 19th century, used her beauty to promote Pears complexion soap.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

But who is worst ? The giant pharmacutical companies that churn out shovel ware or the people who buy them ?

I have reached a point where I honestly don't care. I don't buy these fragrances, I don't even smell the vast majority of them, I don't think they affect the fragrances I do buy and/or smell. Why should I waste my time being upset that they exist?

Of course, it's fun when they are different - Etat Libre d'Orange's Rossy de Palma and Like This spring to mind, of course, I did like SJP Covet, and Lovely is, well, lovely on a couple of friends who wear it. I will be curious to smell Lady Gaga's fragrance, although I think I'm in for a let-down. The rest? Couldn't care less.

I don't do zeleb fragrances in any shape or form.

Its all about money, the company goes to whichever zeleb offers ££££$$$$$ to put their name/face on said fragrance. Zelebs smiles lies and say they wear nothing else, I chose this because it means so much to me etc etc etc. They are lying when they say they were involved in every step of its creation. Company what sort of perfume do you wear? Chanel etc replies zeleb. Company go into lab and mix up whatever they have in the vats and comes back with this is your fragrance. Now smile for the camera and take the money.

Public tweenies I love Britney, Hannah etc so excuse for them.

Adults, I love Jen, SJP, Beyonce and buy fragrance. Sad.
    DONNA

Does the fragrance industry have no dignity that every stupid celebrity can put his name on a fragrance?

Personally I see it as a lack of integrity

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I don't do zeleb fragrances in any shape or form.

Its all about money, the company goes to whichever zeleb offers ££££$$$$$ to put their name/face on said fragrance. Zelebs smiles lies and say they wear nothing else, I chose this because it means so much to me etc etc etc. They are lying when they say they were involved in every step of its creation. Company what sort of perfume do you wear? Chanel etc replies zeleb. Company go into lab and mix up whatever they have in the vats and comes back with this is your fragrance. Now smile for the camera and take the money.

Public tweenies I love Britney, Hannah etc so excuse for them.

Adults, I love Jen, SJP, Beyonce and buy fragrance. Sad.
    There is also the possibility that people simply like the fragrances on their own merits, you know. I simply like Covet, it's a nice, slightly offbeat but still very wearable fragrance. I know I'm far from alone in that respect. There are probably lots of people out there wearing celeb fragrances and lying outright about it, because they like the juice but are ashamed to own it, since it's considered so lowbrow. I think that is sad.

As long as people keep buying them, companies will continue to produce them and/or celebrities will continue to want to have them produced on their behalf.

Hell, if I were a celebrity, I'd want a perfume. Sure, stick my name on a bottle of some schlock and pay me for it. It's not my integrity on the line.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Blog Entries

I agree. There haven't been any that have captured my interest or my $.

Be sure to spray your Rihanna fragrance on your Rihanna tee-shirt so you can appreciate the complexity of the fragrance unfolding in slow motion.

They're mostly crafted by the same "noses" as the mainstream designer houses, so they're no better or worse than a Burberry, Ed Hardy, or Ralph Lauren. I don't like most of them because I don't like sickly sweet gourmands or fruity-floral candy, but the juice is not affected by the name on the bottle. I own and like Deseo because it smells good to me -- it doesn't have anything to do with my opinion of Jennifer Lopez, because it's not like she designed it!

If Britney Spears or Rihanna put her name on a dark incense/iris/wood/benzoin concoction, you can bet I'd wait for that puppy to show up at Marshalls (and the celeb scents always do) and buy it by the caseload!
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

All depends on the scent - no real standouts so far, but I like Lovely and KMS Baby Phat Golden Goddess.

Reine

Sur la Plage

Some are good, most are bad/mediocre - just like most new fragrance releases.

I personally like Cumming the Fragrance by Alan Cumming, Carlos Santana for Men and Tilda Swindon Like This by ELdO.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th October 2010 at 08:18 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I really want to try the Tilda Swinton ELdO.

I've heard Catherine Deneuve's signature perfume was lovely.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

The Kim Kardashian scent directly from Sephora to Wal-Mart. So much for exclusivity.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I really enjoyed Tilda Swinton's and Daphne Guinness' fragrances; I found them both top-notch creations.

For me, it's about the budget, creativity, and and perfumer involved in making the fragrance. I don't care if it's Flipper, The Fragrance - if it smells great, I'm on board!

That being said, there are a lot of trashy scents being marketed under celebrity names.

I am not a fan of it either, but they know because of their name people will buy the product because they think the celeb is wearing and or made the fragrance. Frederic Malle needs to talk more about this big lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I really enjoyed Tilda Swinton's and Daphne Guinness' fragrances; I found them both top-notch creations. For me, it's about the budget, creativity, and and perfumer involved in making the fragrance. I don't care if it's Flipper, The Fragrance - if it smells great, I'm on board! That being said, there are a lot of trashy scents being marketed under celebrity names.
    Ms. Guinness and Ms. Swinton are truly exceptions to the typical celebrity profile. Flipper the Fragrance, you certainly would be on board, of a boat. LOL!

I can't honestly say it bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Weimar27 View Post
    .....does anyone agree with me
    The whole world is beating the drum of what they don't want, and they're getting plenty of it.

I look for what I do want and find plenty of it.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th October 2010 at 08:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    As long as people keep buying them, companies will continue to produce them and/or celebrities will continue to want to have them produced on their behalf.

Hell, if I were a celebrity, I'd want a perfume. Sure, stick my name on a bottle of some schlock and pay me for it. It's not my integrity on the line.
    If i was a celebrity i wouldn't sink that low do your own thing not what others are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Weimar27 View Post
    If i was a celebrity i wouldn't sink that low do your own thing not what others are doing
    And give up Ferrari #4? Come on, man, what kind of American are you!?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

you're fed up? well I'm K-Fed up. How about them apples!

Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    And give up Ferrari #4? Come on, man, what kind of American are you!?
    an American who put art before corporatism musician need to focus on their music and message
    then selling perfumes and clothes

Blog Entries

Its called Money

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post

For me, it's about the budget, creativity, and and perfumer involved in making the fragrance. I don't care if it's Flipper, The Fragrance - if it smells great, I'm on board!
    This would have to be an aquatic...

Hey Weimar! I don't notice celebrity fumes, really. I get what you're saying, though. Companies and their marketers don't seem to have any faith in the public's tastes, and the public, for the most part, proves them right. If you really care about something, you'll seek out the quality product (like we do, here) but most folks are either content with what's available, or they don't know where to look (and don't try to pursue it) and lose interest.
    Of course, celebs do it for the money, but there are underlying reasons, too, depending on who we're talking about. Someone on a similar thread a couple years back mentioned that Jennifer Lopez, I think it was, actually had a desire to learn perfumery.

Celeb scents take up lots counter space in stores. For example, the only department store in my nearest city no longer stocks ANY Guerlain (or many other "big" names), but they do sell all the Britney, JLo, Gwen Stefani, Hilary Duff etc etc - the list goes on & on...

If I don't want a celeb scent (& I don't !) then I have to go further afield, or order on the internet to sample or buy. I'm not even talking about obscure/little known brands here, either. So yeah, definately sick of celeb scents !

Funny, I wrote about this some place else and I had not even seen this thread. I totally agree that celebrity scents take too much counter space. It bothers me to think that just a few years ago one could find fine fragrances at Macy's and other stores, and now they are inundated with celebrities. I feel bad for young people that only get the opportunity to try what is offered. I hope eventually they find out that there are better fragrances to wear.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Funny, I wrote about this some place else and I had not even seen this thread. I totally agree that celebrity scents take too much counter space. It bothers me to think that just a few years ago one could find fine fragrances at Macy's and other stores, and now they are inundated with celebrities. I feel bad for young people that only get the opportunity to try what is offered. I hope eventually they find out that there are better fragrances to wear.
    So true! It's strange to see Chanel and Dior fumes, then two tables down see Mariah Carey and Britney Spears fumes, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    That's the trouble tho', most people don't find out that there are better things out there. They only see what is offered, unless they take the trouble to dig a bit deeper - then they end up places like here on Basenotes hah !

At least, I would not have minded of great ladies of the screen or stage, like Garbo, Dietrich or Calls would have released their celeb frags- but I take even this hypothesis with a grain of salt, because it might have cheapened and affected their image

On the other hand, were the famous Creed frags created for e.g. Empress Eugenie not a more niche version of a celeb scent of that time?

"On the other hand, were the famous Creed frags created for e.g. Empress Eugenie not a more niche version of a celeb scent of that time?"

Yes perhaps, but I bet Empress Eugenie's concoction wasn't a poor quality sugared water fruity/floral thing that smelt like a thousand others - unlike most of the celeb offerings of today lol

I like and own one Celeb scent : Salvador Dali. And then I must admit that I have never smelled any other celeb scent. There are proparbly some nice scents amongst them, but there are so many perfumes in the world, and new releases every day. I haven't even smelled all YSLs and Diors for instance. The only way for me is to do it slowly and to concentrate on a couple of houses, and then if I discover that this or that house perhaps isn't that much for me, or if I think that another house might be more interesting or more enjoyable for me - then I move on.

I absolutely agree! For me, most of the celeb perfumes are a turnoff just by the name alone! I mean, even if you like their music, etc., what does that have to do with perfume? I am totally turned off a scent even by knowing that - for example - Madonna or Elizabeth Taylor wears the stuff! And if they give a name to a scent, I just think, why on earth would that be a good thing? I wear only vintage/classic scents, or new perfumes with this vibe.

Default Re: Fed up with Celebrity Perfumesn

I'm not frustrated with the fact that celebrities are producing fragrance, I'm frustrated that most of them are just bad... let's be honey, marshmellows, cotton candy, and icing??? Really??? True parfumers that have long sense passed are probably rolling over in their graves. Fragrance is supposed to be something that brings out memories, emotion, or thoughts. I forget who it was that said earlier that they always end up in Marshall's or Gordman's, and it's true, because just like most of the actual celebs that create fragrance, they're here today, and gone tomorrow. Most celebs wouldn't know how to compose a good fragrance if they were handed a blueprint...

While I agree that these celebrity fragrances are a waste of store space which should be given to quality perfume names, I also think it's the Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Katie Price, etc. fragrances that make us stand out from the crowd. One of my reasons for wearing a good (but often uncommon or unpopular) fragrance is to create a unique identity, and the crowd of Britney Spears Fantasy wearers is making it easy for me.

But I think there are celebrities who are truly passionate about fragrances and have produced quality perfumes that are not cheap sugar-sweet Angel clones. I'm not really a fan of SJP Lovely but I remember seeing her on Jay Leno to promote her fragrance. This was before I became a perfume enthusiast but I could tell that she did more than just lend her name to a fragrance; she had a hand in creating it and she is a perfumista. I think Elizabeth Taylor is one, too.