Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - November 2011

Looks like it's my turn to start this thread again this month!

After sampling nothing at all last month, l'm hoping to get through a few more in November, starting today with Labdanum 18 by Le Labo.

Notes are labdanum, tonka beans, vanilla, castoreum, patchouli.

This starts out deep, sweet, smoky & slightly medicinal on my skin, with the animalic growl of castoreum lending it a confident & sexy swagger. Over the first hour it slowly becomes sweeter, more powdery & ambery, but that delightful smokiness remains. 3-4 hours in, there's a sweet, musky vanilla, & 5 hours in it's faded to a very Guerlinade-like skin scent. The sillage is moderate for most of it's duration.

l was compelled to try this after reading reviews comparing it to Shalimar, & l can see the similarities in the drydown. lt also reminds me a lot of Solange Azagury-Partridge's Stoned. l need to do a side-by-side test, but l think l prefer Stoned; it has more complexity, greater sillage & a far more prominent labdanum note to my nose.
    l adore the first hour or so of Labdanum 18, but after a promising start it seems to lose it's power; rather like a big cat that turns out to be a little pussycat underneath.
    A very pleasant comfort scent though, & l think it could grow on me on cozy winter's nights.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - November 2011

Received a sample of Azemour Les Orangers by Parfums D'Empire. Very nice.

I am not sure if this is the right place but

today I sniffed Ungaro III at a 'drugstore' and I wonder : is it twin to Balmain de Balmain ???

the Ungaro I did spray on paper (my hands were fully covered with various Lolita Lempickas (still and now definite no no for me )) so I may be mistaken but I walked home with the mouillette at my nose, and the resemblance is incredible

anyone ?
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Blog Entries

Today l sampled Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer Perfumes.

Notes are petitgrain, lavender, red mandarin, rose, jasmine, Atlas cedar, sandalwood, patchouli.

On my skin the opening is dominated by dry woods & patchouli, then it quickly becomes heavy on the jasmine, followed a few minutes later by a beautiful incense note. Over the next 90 minutes, the jasmine steadily becomes more dirty & animalic, & intertwines with the incense in a wonderful way; l can't stop sniffing my arm at this stage. l then get wafts of "Christmassy" spices; perhaps the combination of the citrus & patchouli, although l can't pick out the citrus notes until the far drydown, when they mix with a chocolatey amber in the base. The sillage is fab, & it lasts a good 5 hours before fading to a skin scent.

l didn't expect to like this, having seen it compared unfavourably to L'Air Du Desert Marocain, & also variously described as too sweet, too artificial-smelling or too patchouli-dominated. However, although l appreciate LADDM as a work of art, l personally find Le Maroc infinitely more wearable. That dirty jasmine & incense combo works beautifully on me; l could really fall for this one! Yes it does have a "headshop" vibe, but that's not a problem for a hippie chick like me! l now feel ready to enter the hitherto unexplored (for me) genre of incense perfumes, especially those created by Andy Tauer!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Great writeups teardrop! Those both sound very interesting.
    I'll be back at some point soon to participate with some sampling.

teardrop, the LL Labdanum smells exactly like Ambre Extreme after ten minutes and stays that way. Every single time my friend wears it, I mistake it for AE!

I have over 60 samples coming my way this month (already received nearly half) - will be jotting my thoughts in this thread soon!
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Great, Pamplelune! I look forward to your thoughts and writeups Please keep us posted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Great writeups teardrop! Those both sound very interesting.
    I'll be back at some point soon to participate with some sampling.
    Thanks cello! l look forward to reading more of your fragrant thoughts.

Back in the sampling saddle after trips and holiday company!

Today I sampled L'Artisan Ambre Extreme, and enjoyed it very much!
    This is a polite, well behaved amber fragrance, with an old fashioned, almost powdery feel throughout. The patch adds a dusty quality to the opening, with the amber retaining a resinous quality. It never goes too sweet, even though there is a heavy dose of vanilla in the base, keeping the composition powdery throughout.
    This is fairly straightforward, almost simple, but if you enjoy these notes, there is not much to go wrong. Some will find it too simple for their taste, I am sure, but I enjoyed the day in this sample.

Blog Entries

Today l (sort of) sampled Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer Perfumes. Well, what actually happened was this; on retrieving the vial from my sample box, l discovered that it had almost completely leaked away, waaah! l did think there had been a strong rose scent emanating from it lately, l should have investigated it sooner. Ah well, these things happen in perfumista-ville...

Anyway, l poured the last remaining drops onto the back of my hand, thinking at least l could get an impression of it, so here it is;

The notes are lemon, bergamot, lavender, rose, raspberry, violet, vanilla, sandalwood, tonka, ambergris.

The citrus notes were very fleeting on my skin, & it quickly developed into a sweet, dark, jammy, velvety rose with a large dose of raspberries. l found it very similar to Montale's Roses Elixir, & in the same way, l found it just a bit too sweet for my taste. l would have liked a little more tartness from the berries, to balance the sweetness of the rose. l did not detect the other floral notes at all. The sillage was very good, & it lasted in this vein for a good 5-6 hours, before fading to a sweet, ambery base.

My skin usually "eats" sweetness in perfumes, & amplifies anything bitter or green, so it is always surprising to me when l find a perfume too sweet for me. l will have to pass on this one, but l do think it's a high quality perfume, & would recommend it to anyone who loves sweet florals & fruit. l only wish l could have given it another wearing, just to make sure!

Today I was in leather

Chanel Cuir de Russie was a quick dab before bed last night, and immediately, I wanted a bottle. It was iris and a soft leather, wonderful. This morning I dabbed a full wearing, and now I experienced the opening flush of typical leathers - a medicinal, bitter and chemical opening. But this quickly settled into beautiful floral over leather. The blend of the florals was so very typical Chanel that I could not help but smile and say "there it is". Beautiful. The leather was soft and blended. This one melts into your skin, almost to a skinscent, as the projection is not outstanding, but it becomes how YOU smell. It becomes one with you, but better This is the current EDT I am sampling.

Later, I dabbed a full wearing of Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman. This one opens similar, a chemical blast that can only represent leather manufacturing. Gasoline and harsh. But it quickly settled into a wonderful orris leather blend, smooth as the buttery leather I was hoping for. BUT, it stayed there, sitting on my skin as a fragrance, rather than settling into me. Not really a fault, but a noticeable difference than the Chanel. Cuir Ottoman is more irisy than PGs Cuir d'Iris, which is all smooth leather to me. This one shares the iris and the leather, and I love it for that.

But at the end of the day, the Chanel wowed me and the Cuir Ottoman just made me say very nice. Bottles purchased go to the wow fragrances at this point - Chanel most likely will steal even more of my money. This does not really surprise me, as I just seem to feel very comfortable in many of the Les Exclusive Chanels. In fact, I imagine I like the current version of Cuir de Russie better than I would the vintage, as I imagine it is more approachable. In a leather fragrance, I probably need approachable, as it is not a note that turns my head in general.

Both are wonderful fragrances, and worthy of sampling for anyone with an interest in leather. Pick your poison, either are fine choices.

Blog Entries

Yesterday l sampled Eau D'Ikar by Sisley. After reading Rogalal's review of this in last month's sampling thread, & thinking it sounded like something my very fussy bf might like, l sought out a sample. Thought l'd better try it out on myself first!

The notes are mastic, bergamot, bitter orange, lemon, carrot seeds, iris, jasmine, orange pekoe tea, reeds, green cistus, sandalwood, vetiver.

The opening is very fresh & nose-tingling, the citrus notes combining to produce what to my nose is a grapefruit accord. This is accompanied by a crisp, just-short-of-bitter green note. For the first 15 minutes, the sillage is good & strong, after which it dies down considerably. After an hour, it's faded to a smooth, nutty, creamy yet cool skin scent, with just a touch of sweetness, still faintly there after three hours.

The mastic is apparently the star player in this fragrance; l'm not familiar with the smell in nature, but from what l've read, this seems to be what gives Eau D'Ikar it's distinctive cool, crisp, slightly sweet leafiness. lf that's what it is, then l'm a fan. Green notes don't often work well on me.
    The longevity is disappointing, but for me this would certainly be a summer scent, & l think it may have more staying power in the heat. There is definitely something intriguing & different about it, & the fact that it lacks the all-too-common woody-ambery drydown of so many "masculine" fragrances.

lt remains to be seen whether my bf will like it; l may post the results in my blog. His skin tends to amplify sweetness, so it will be very interesting to see how this one plays out on him. lf he doesn't like it, l will save the sample for my own use next summer, as l really like it!

PS. I really like that sculpted bottle, too...
    Last edited by teardrop; 30th November 2011 at 08:05 PM.

Blog Entries

l realise of course that it's now december, but thought l'd just update on my previous post above.
    l sprayed some Eau D'Ikar on my bf this morning, & as usual, got a quite different effect from his skin. lt came off as a very sweet lemon-scented cleaning liquid on him; pleasantly fresh, but certainly nothing special. He was not impressed.

Ah well, looks like the rest of the sample is mine. l think l'll just resign myself to the fact that Eternity & Kouros smell great on him. (And l've got him some Kouros for Christmas, heh heh)