Code of Conduct

Default quick thoughts: Armani Eau pour homme

I got a mini of Armani Eau pour homme the other day. The citrus opening is incredibly refreshing; I love it. Yet, it's so fleeting.

A few minutes after applying, I had my wife give it a sniff. (I don't know why I continually try to find fragrances that I like that please her too... it never seems to happen.) Her only response was: hotel soap. All I can detect now is soapiness, which, unfortunately, is not a favorite fragrance characteristic of mine.

I checked the reviews and only found one mention of soap.

Anyone else detect it? Is it in my head?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quick thoughts: Armani Eau pour homme

I like Armani Eau pour Homme. It has a great citrus opening, of good duration. It settles into a mossy fougere style, perhaps that might be interpreted as "soap". Nothing wrong with a soapy note, that is a pleasant sort of scent. But I find much more than soap there. Keep trying it.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Having used AEpH since around 1989, soap is not a description i would attach to this frag.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Red Hot View Post
    Her only response was: hotel soap. All I can detect now is soapiness, which, unfortunately, is not a favorite fragrance characteristic of mine.

I checked the reviews and only found one mention of soap.

Anyone else detect it? Is it in my head?
    Well, it is in your wife's head. If you want a fragrance that pleases her, perhaps you can let her pick one out for you the next time round? I do miss Armani Eau pour Homme. The opening act is divine indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get soap from it, either. I like soapy frags, but I don't consider this to be one of them. For me Armani Eau is citrus and herbs in the opening modulating through some subtle spice to get to a warm, woody, mossy drydown.

Post Thanks / Like

^neither do i, citrusy classic fragrance-yes, soapy-no

Post Thanks / Like

I like it, but it`s quite weak on my skin and doesn`t last long. I prefer Boucheron Pour homme over this one.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 20th October 2010 at 11:00 AM.

I don't detect anything soapy about it either.

DeepSilence

Now you said this, i think it's soapy.
    Opening is Citrus, and drying down is a little soapy/Citrus IMO. I like it, whatever it is.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 20th October 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Argh. Was going to give it a wearing today and forgot to slip it into my gym bag. I guess it's a fragrance free day... well, until I get home.

As for letting my wife choose one, that's a great idea. In theory. It'd be nice to find something we both really like. I've tried. I've got all kinds of samples and try and get her to go through some. She'll give a quick "yes" or "no" (which can change a few days later). She's just not that interested. That's ok, I guess. I'll keep wearing ones that I like that she doesn't hate. In her defense, she's been having headache issues for some time now. I can see why she wouldn't want to sniff a bunch of fragrances as a possible invitation to another headache...

It was once a fantastically rich and satisfying fragrance, but it is significantly diminished in its most recent form. I have used it constantly since its release in 1985, and I have not detected a soapy quality. If it is quite an old miniature, it may off course have turned and be a poor example.

DeepSilence

Argh...
    This is not too bad...! I have better suggestion; Change your soap that you use at home

Post Thanks / Like

I don't detect any soapiness either. A very nice scent, though it strikes me as pretty formal.

Post Thanks / Like

Great allround scent.Its a classic and stylish scent but I can imagine some young people call it an old men scent.I guess they are right.I am old and I like it very much!

Post Thanks / Like

(I don't know why I continually try to find fragrances that I like that please her too... it never seems to happen.)
    Happens to me all the time too, bro...

Wore it today and didn't notice much soapiness this time. The longevity was really poor, though. I wonder if, indeed, I do have a mini that's just a little off. I'll have to compare against a tester the next time I find myself at the mall...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlebooth View Post
    It was once a fantastically rich and satisfying fragrance, but it is significantly diminished in its most recent form. I have used it constantly since its release in 1985, and I have not detected a soapy quality. If it is quite an old miniature, it may off course have turned and be a poor example.
    My experience exactly. I bought this when it came out and was my go to for awhile. The recent incarnation is screetchy and unwearable (for me) . As always, if you are new to it and like it, that's great. It's a shame that it has been reformulated from what it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Wore it today and didn't notice much soapiness this time. The longevity was really poor, though. I wonder if, indeed, I do have a mini that's just a little off. I'll have to compare against a tester the next time I find myself at the mall...
    There`s nothing wrong with your "mini". The longevity (and sillage) could be much better on this fragrance..