Code of Conduct

Default Review of Askett & English scents

The developer of a new line, Askett & English, sent out samples to some BNers with the intention of getting a review. I agreed, and here are my thoughts. I tried each scent three times, over a period of a couple of months, in order to get an accurate range of impressions.

A&E Essential
    Top: a bright fresh citrus with lemon, bergamot, aromatic herbs
    Mid: florals of lavender, jasmine
    Base: woody and mossy with tonka, cedar and vetiver
    The citrus notes start in a nice lemony way. The scent develops a soapy character, at times it seems round and at other times a bit muddled. It took me a few wearings to recognize the herbal notes but now that I do, I appreciate them. The dry-down is a very light mossy sort. I don't get any particular wood or vetiver notes.

A&E Absolute
    Top: fresh citrus with mandarin, bergamot and hints of tea, cardamom and basil
    Mid: floral with orange blossom and rose
    Base: soft woody notes with musk and amber
    Definitely orange rather than lemon is in view here. The cold tea note pops and is a nice element. The herbs are merely hinted, not stated. Sometimes the spices are there, sometimes not. I am a bit disappointed in the floral heart. Orange blossom should be a gorgeous cloud (don't find that here). On some wearings, I get a faint rose; other times I simply cannot find it. So the floral note is somewhat generic in my opinion -- pleasant but not remarkable. The drydown is soft, gentle and comforting.

These are good scents. There is nothing problematic in them, other than a slight metallic note at times in each, which lurks as a very minor echo in the background. They are not sweet or heavy, so they are something a man could wear. The elements are pleasant and I don't find any loud or tiresome synthetic notes. I can wear each with appreciation. Longevity is short, but that is to be expected with citrus-centered scents. My slight reservation -- and this is an issue of my personal taste -- is that these scents don't offer anything particularly distinctive. They are nice and enjoyable, and I assume that is the goal. I urge people to sample them. They are subtle and low-key and worth trying.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Review of Askett & English scents

Nice reviews.

Basenotes Institution

Any photos of the bottle?

Where does one buy these scents?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

The company website has photos and contact information. www.askettandenglish.com
    They are carried at Les Senteurs and a few shops in the UK. And they appear to do online orders as well.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas