Code of Conduct

Default Review of Askett & English scents

The developer of a new line, Askett & English, sent out samples to some BNers with the intention of getting a review. I agreed, and here are my thoughts. I tried each scent three times, over a period of a couple of months, in order to get an accurate range of impressions.

A&E Essential
    Top: a bright fresh citrus with lemon, bergamot, aromatic herbs
    Mid: florals of lavender, jasmine
    Base: woody and mossy with tonka, cedar and vetiver
    The citrus notes start in a nice lemony way. The scent develops a soapy character, at times it seems round and at other times a bit muddled. It took me a few wearings to recognize the herbal notes but now that I do, I appreciate them. The dry-down is a very light mossy sort. I don't get any particular wood or vetiver notes.

A&E Absolute
    Top: fresh citrus with mandarin, bergamot and hints of tea, cardamom and basil
    Mid: floral with orange blossom and rose
    Base: soft woody notes with musk and amber
    Definitely orange rather than lemon is in view here. The cold tea note pops and is a nice element. The herbs are merely hinted, not stated. Sometimes the spices are there, sometimes not. I am a bit disappointed in the floral heart. Orange blossom should be a gorgeous cloud (don't find that here). On some wearings, I get a faint rose; other times I simply cannot find it. So the floral note is somewhat generic in my opinion -- pleasant but not remarkable. The drydown is soft, gentle and comforting.

These are good scents. There is nothing problematic in them, other than a slight metallic note at times in each, which lurks as a very minor echo in the background. They are not sweet or heavy, so they are something a man could wear. The elements are pleasant and I don't find any loud or tiresome synthetic notes. I can wear each with appreciation. Longevity is short, but that is to be expected with citrus-centered scents. My slight reservation -- and this is an issue of my personal taste -- is that these scents don't offer anything particularly distinctive. They are nice and enjoyable, and I assume that is the goal. I urge people to sample them. They are subtle and low-key and worth trying.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Review of Askett & English scents

Nice reviews.

Basenotes Institution

Any photos of the bottle?

Where does one buy these scents?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

The company website has photos and contact information. www.askettandenglish.com
    They are carried at Les Senteurs and a few shops in the UK. And they appear to do online orders as well.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas