Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question List of fragrances that have DEFINITELY, BEYOND A DOUBT been re-formulated

I know this is going to be a huge list, but on the other hand there are always disagreements on this issue.
    Hopefully this thread will sort out the beyond-a-doubts and the maybe´s.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: List of fragrances that have DEFINITELY, BEYOND A DOUBT been re-formulated

Red for Men
    by Giorgio Beverly Hills

DEFINITE reformulation. Loved this. It is a skunk now.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 13th October 2010 at 05:25 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: List of fragrances that have DEFINITELY, BEYOND A DOUBT been re-formulated

Agreed on Red. Also add for starters:

Givenchy Gentleman
    Quorum
    Antaeus
    Van Cleef Pour Homme (although re-reformulation is alleged to be getting back to original)
    Tsar
    Trussardi Uomo
    Oscar de La Renta Pour Lui
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    Obssession
    Azarro Pour Homme
    Ungaro III

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much all of them. The exceptions are the ones which haven't
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Chanel no 5 has been reformulated 50 times since his creation

Post Thanks / Like

Armani Eau Pour Homme (unfortunately)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Pretty much all of them. The exceptions are the ones which haven't

+ 1 on that, with an aside: reformulations get way too much attention. I've tried some seriously reformulated scents and found them to be a little different, but lovely all the same. Stuff like Quorum, Grey Flannel, Fahrenheit. Not sure what the big deal is with reformulations.

Post Thanks / Like

Many are more than a little different. If they were a little different I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal. Some of my favorites are unwearable in their current formulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maja by Myrurgia

I remeber 13 or 14 years ago i'v recieved a colonge splash version of this perfume. and i remeber it was more
    spicer Stronger with more Incense and more Peppery and i fell in love with
    the scent and i coudent wait to get it
    again when i finished the splash.
    and now i got a mini size of the perfume
    i was so Dissapointed they changed to formula they made it watery Mens aftershave. i coudent belive it.
    what happed to the Maja! they made it tame! I want to Fire back To the Maja
    The old Formula Add more Cinnamon
    Civet Leather Incense Benzio

Anyone know anything about Platinum Egoiste getting reformulated? Been wanting to try it but I here it has been reformulated and the new version isn't quite as good as the older juice.

I've read claims that Balahe and Chaz are, so I got the vintage versions. I also read this about Fumerie Turque and Chergui, but I don't know which versions my samples are.

Post Thanks / Like

Every fragrance that is 15 years or older has been reformulated. If you think not you are kidding yourself. Half those that are 10 years old have also been reformulated, just slightly.

It's progress at work.

Post Thanks / Like

Fahrenheit for sure, Drakkar Noir, Azzaro pH, and Chaps (discontinued now) to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Obsession as Buddy states. I smelled this a couple days ago at Ulta and was almost repulsed. It has undergone a serious reformulation, I don't get much sweetness or cinnamon from it anymore, just a bland oriental that seems very mature.

Post Thanks / Like

I know for sure that polo green has been reformulated. The oakmoss in the prior formula needed to be changed for some reason. I cant remember why, but polo green is actually drier now. I liked it then, and now, this formula will do just fine.

Has there ever been a reformulation that went over better than the original?
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com | Yep! This Is My Moving Sale Thread
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread | I need a Creed Original Vetiver cap...

Post Thanks / Like

I would rephrase that: List of fragrances that have DEFINITELY, BEYOND A DOUBT NOT been re-formulated

Has there ever been a reformulation that went over better than the original?
    SL Datura Noir

Btw ALL the perfumes are regularly reformulated (the formula-. If you don't perceive it is that's the perfumers have done a good job.

Post Thanks / Like

DNA for Men by Bijan
    Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Obsession as Buddy states. I smelled this a couple days ago at Ulta and was almost repulsed. It has undergone a serious reformulation, I don't get much sweetness or cinnamon from it anymore, just a bland oriental that seems very mature.
    Yes, this was a damn fine frag., but now is weaker than the aftershave version of the 80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    Anyone know anything about Platinum Egoiste getting reformulated? Been wanting to try it but I here it has been reformulated and the new version isn't quite as good as the older juice.
    It really shouldn't affect you much if PE has been reformulated (which it has). You can smell it for the first time and decide whether you like it without any bias. Just take it or leave it for what it is. I bought M7 (reformulated) knowing that it was different from the original which was the only one I'd sniffed. Did it bother me that there were a few distinguishable differences? Only after I'd worn it long enough to notice the differences and even then it didn't bother me. I decided to rate the fragrance based on what it is and not what it was.

Unfortunately, all fragrances that last 5-10yrs on the market will experience a reformulation. Subtly at first, but soon the reformulation will bear noticeable differences from original. My advice: just enjoy it while you can knowing that it won't last forever. Its like dating a hot girl who you know isn't wifey material. You enjoy the company and all the stares you receive from onlookers, but ultimately you know you'll have to find more permanent commitment elsewhere....

To add to the list, D&G Pour Homme has most definitely, and most unfortunately, been reformulated. Still good as far as fragrances go, but boy do these designer houses know how to neuter a classic...(shakes his head in disapproval).

Post Thanks / Like

Halston Z-14 is a definite

Paco Rabanne pour homme.
    The current version smells almost nothing like the original. Like, not even close. Okay, maybe they used some of the same ingredients, but please. Now he's just a juiced up rhoid-rage of a thing.
    You expect it, these "reformulations". They dumb the fragrance down by using cheaper ingredients (synthetics instead of the real thing; which I suspect was the case with Paco). Or water them down to make higher profits. But you expect at least that the new version will at least resemble the original. A little. That you can at least fake it and extrapolate. Not the case here. Why even call it by the same name if you're going to so radically change it?

ENGLISH LEATHER by Dana...totally...and Brut, and Old Spice Classic I think has been also....so this may be the reason none of the people my age like these scents (brut its a little more popular)...but im a highschooler and nobody likes it when I use Old Spice or English Leather. =(

@vivid

I've never been crazy about Old Spice in any of its' formulations. I do however rather like CVS's version (or more accurately, rip-off). It's a little sweeter, less boozy and harsh. I don't know if they have CVS in Japan though...

I think CVS is only in the USA. But that sounds interesting to say the least. I may have to keep an eye out for something like that while searching online.

Post Thanks / Like

Tabac Blond has been butchered by Richard Fraysee at Caron. He should be 10-to-20 for that hack job.

As LT puts it "Why can't he mess with something that wasn't interesting to begin with?"

Teddius

The thing that gets me, is that if this were, say, fine art...can you imagine if they "reformulated" the Mona Lisa to the extent that they do some of these fragrances?

They do the same with food. They're messing with our memories. Real thought crime.

Rant over...for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Cravache
    Futur
    Calypso
    Visa
    Baghari
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused over which way this list is supposed to be going now, are people listing reformulated or non reformulated? If these were all that were reformulated...the world would be a better place, of that I'm sure!

What about Le Male and Joop Homme?

Guerlain Heritage
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---