Code of Conduct

Default Storing cologne in the car - what to put it in?

I prefer to keep some of my cologne (at least 2 bottles) in the car cause its just convient when I reapply and plus everyone in my house is allergic to it so im not able to spray it at home anwyays.

What I want to know is where would be the best place to store it away from the sun and heat? Right now I have it in a tin metal box so that it bounces the heat off of it and its in my backseat under my coat.

Default Re: Storing cologne in the car - what to put it in?

That's something I wouldn't do. My car certainly must reach greater than 140F on a hot summer day.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    That's something I wouldn't do. My car certainly must reach greater than 140F on a hot summer day.
    Any alternatives then? Cause I cant spray it in the house at all. I guess what I could do is just carry a bottle in my pocket or inside coat pocket wherever i go. That way it will come into my house to sleep at nights.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by adgfan View Post
    right now i have it in a tin metal box so that it bounces the heat off of it and its in my backseat under my coat.
    no..... how?
    Last edited by MFJ; 20th October 2010 at 03:33 PM.

shouldnt they be stored in the car's fridge compartment or something?

oh no wait they only have those in limos....

Even the trunk of my car gets hot. In my opinion, frgrance should not be stored in the car at all.

Regards,
    Steve

I float a flacon of Creed in the freon tank hooked up to my a/c. One need only unscrew the air vent, reach into the freon, and extract the flacon whenever one wants a fresh, vetiver spritz. Eureka.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    In my opinion, frgrance should not be stored in the car at all.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'd leave all my bottles at home and just bring decants with me.
    ôLove is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.ö
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

my thoughts exactly. just decant some for daily use and leave the bottles in your closet. a decant kit is 5-8 at pennys,nordstrom,ect...
    "Strive for perfection in everything, take the best that exists and make it better, if it doesn't exist create it, accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Royce

I agree with the decanting idea. Just keep your bottles at home and take an atomizer in your backpack or something.

If you spray into an atomizer it won't cloud and choke anyone out. You'll be getting almost all of it into the vile if you are doing it right. So decant/atomizer is the way to go for sure. You can apply once you're out of the house and keep everyone happy.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by ADGfan View Post
    and plus everyone in my house is allergic to it so im not able to spray it at home anwyays.
    So you can wear fragrances in the house, but you can't spray them? The mist from a spray doesn't linger that long. I would think that any allergic reactions caused by spraying would also arise from you wearing the scent.

If not, why not just spray in a spare bedroom, if available, or a bathroom that nobody is about to use, so the spray will have time to settle before anyone comes in?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

If he's out all day at work or school by the time he gets back home the frag has probably faded to the point it doesn't bother anyone in the home. Where as if he applied in the house it could linger quite awhile depending on the frag. I know with some colognes I come home hours after applying and still smell it in the room I applied it in, not just on myself.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Da5id09 View Post
    I float a flacon of Creed in the freon tank hooked up to my a/c. One need only unscrew the air vent, reach into the freon, and extract the flacon whenever one wants a fresh, vetiver spritz. Eureka.
    Bond. James Bond. (The Real One).

If you are not able to do this, do not leave any fragrance in the car.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I keep a cheap bottle of cologne in my car in colder weather but other than that just bring decants
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    I keep a cheap bottle of cologne in my car in colder weather but other than that just bring decants
    this is the right answer. if you want to re-apply on-the-go, decant something from a bottle at home, and keep the decanter on your person.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

I've kept cheap bottles of scent in my car, in the seat pocket behind the driver's seat for ten years.

For the last two or three years it's occupied by Fred Hayman's Touch and Yardley's English Lavendar.

The outside temperature frequently hits over 40║C in the shade over summer, and I have no idea how much hotter it gets inside my car which is out in the sun. But I have never had a bottle of scent go off.

I doubt I would ever do this with a niche scent though, they seem less robust.
    Regards,
    Renato

Years ago before I knew any better, I'd kept bottles of cologne in my glove compartment. I remember having bottles of Ho Hang and Paco Rabanne in the glove compartment. The frags got completely cooked after just a few weeks. I could tell because they both developed that harsh nail varnish-like smell that results from a perfume going bad.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Don't do it unless you really don't care whether the fragrance goes bad or not. Although, I kept a bottle of something or other in my bathroom for about 10 years and after all the hot shower steam, etc., etc., it is still fine. Of course I know better now and would never do anything like that on purpose.

From personal experience, it's not a good idea: I have a bottle of Armani Code, that I left in the car for similar reasons.....the extreme temperatures really ruined it. It smells like nail polish remover. I still keep it in the car, but more as a weapon, as the bottle is really heavy.

If you must, maybe put a few sample vials in the car, so you will likely go through them before they go bad, and if they do, only minimal losses.

If you can't do any of the above suggestions, then find a large enough thermos to contain the bottle; look for the ones that are double walled with a vacuum. Cool the thermos to, say, about 65 degrees before storing your frag. Store the thermos at the lowest point in the vehicle and out of sunlight (e.g. under seat). If money is no concern, obtain some Aerogel-based insulating material (like a flexible sheet) and wrap the Thermos.

My guesstimate would be that after 8 hours (perhaps 12), your frag would likely not be above 75 degrees. Test before doing this.

If you can't find a vacuum-type Thermos and wish to experiment a little, order the "Bean Vac" Coffee Canister. I own one and can tell you that it is large enough to hold many typically-sized fragrance bottles. The hypothesis here is that heat/cool isn't transferred very well through a vacuum. This container creates a vacuum around whatever you put inside it. This won't eliminate other means of heat transfer (like conduction) but it's a possible solution not mentioned yet. Again, experiment using some cheap frag and a thermometer.

Happy fragging.

Put the frag bottle inside a Thermos container. That should keep it from getting too hot.

Last edited by adonis; 21st October 2010 at 04:54 AM.

Please don't do it. Get yourself some atomizers.

No, no no no no no!!!! Get a MURSE. (man purse)

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    After I posted earlier I had the same thought. Just decant the ones you like and take the decants with you.

Do you have a garage? I do, I actually keep some fragrances in there - it's part of the house, so it's vented/chilled/heated like my house and I have a refrigerator in there too (could place them in there alongside the beer I'm not supposed to have) and that's an option for me.

I totally understand the spray/allergic reaction - my lady sneezes at quite a few scents, I tend to get rid of the offenders - but at the same time, I truly suggest that you don't put a bottle in the car, but perhaps keep a smaller decant instead in an atomizer.

You'll avoid the scent going bad that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Ditto. I'd NEVER leave a bottle of cologne in my car. I've done it back in the early days of my hobby and had some bottles get ruined very quickly. It's super cheap to just go online and buy some bulk decant vials. Trust me, it's the BEST thing you can do for yourself and it's the one piece of advice I wish I'd have gotten sooner.

If you keep cologne in your car, it WILL go bad.

Looking at all these responses about fried scents, from people who have much cooler summers than we do (we peaked at 47║C two summers ago), I can only conclude that someone must be selling heat resistant scents in Australia.
    Renato