Code of Conduct

Default What's the point of a cologne if it has rubbish opening/middle notes?

I'm sure the dry down Pure Malt is great, but if it's in sacrifice of the opening/middle notes then I would sure as hell never buy it. I mean, will you really sit around for an hour or so just to get rid of that poisonous smell? Usually when I spray on my cologne I go straight outside and catch the public bus. I don't think people deserve to smell a strong scent of tar early in the morning...

Default Re: What's the point of a cologne if it has rubbish opening/middle notes?

If you don't like it, then its not for you. Im sure a significant amount like the opening, body and dry down.

And the 'tar' scent is subjective. One man's fragrance is a another man's tar.

Default Re: What's the point of a cologne if it has rubbish opening/middle notes?

Are you talking about Pure Malt or the regular Angel Men?? I love the top and middle notes of PM, in fact its my favorite part of the fragrance. A*men however, has the "tar" note and is often said to be one of those fragrances that you have to get past top before it becomes enjoyable. So I'm not exactly sure where you are coming from if it is PM your talking about.

"rubbish" is relative. what you don't like, others might.

I'm not a perfumer, but I suspect taht some chemicals which give a great note at one stage, often require a sacrifice somewhere else. For example, I just wore Versace's teh Dreamer. Now it's got a terrible opening, and I have ot assume it wasn't designed to smell great. I assume it's just a bad opening because it's what it will develop into is worth it. maybe I'm wrong though.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

Its up to you really. If you dont like it, dont wear it. If i overspray Pure Malt it sucks, if i dont its gorgeous. I've had people rave over it just minutes after spraying...its totally subjective. Its the same thing with food. For example, I like broccoli, many people dont.

Some people don't mind waiting for "the good part" of a fragrance to evolve, even if it means stinking for a while. People wear Kouros all the time. Most that wear it tolerate the urinal smell long enough to get to the mythical honey-sweet drydown. I tried it a couple of times, but I can't stand stinking like urine for hours before getting to the drydown. As for Pure Malt, I enjoy the opening and heart notes much more than the drydown. With regard to A*Men, I actually enjoy the bitterness of the tar note. It's not my favorite thing to smell, but it is different and I appreciate that.