Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for a deep woody dark rose?

Hello all,
    This is my first post, though I have been lurking and reading for several weeks. I am looking for a masculine deep woody/spicy/incense rose fragrance. I have tried C&S Dark Rose and 88, and Pen's Opus, but they don't really do it for me, and all of them have no longevity on my skin, which is odd because most others (except citrus dominated) last forever.
    Thnaks for any input or suggestions you can provide!

Default Re: Suggestions for a deep woody dark rose?

Montale's Black Aoud is exceptionally long-lived on me.

I'll also mention Sonoma Scent Studio's Vintage Rose, an exceptionally strong, woody rose on my skin ( even stronger is her Vintage Rose, but that's a more linear, straight-up rose on me ).

I'm not surprised the penhaligon's don't last on you. 88 has a great opening and dark rose is interesting, but neither last particularly long on me either. Black Aoud is a good rec. Check Incense Rose (ava luxe?), you might also like Le Labo Rose 31 (rose and cedar, cumin too?). I think Amouage Lyric also fits in there.

none of those 3 are cheap, but they smell as good as for what you're paying.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

You should try Frédéric Malle Une Rose-- it definitely gets spicier as it evolves.

Montale Black Aoud seems to fit perfectly

Thanks for the replies. I have tried the Montale Black Aoud, but did not get much of a rose sense from it (though I do like it very much). I was considering getting some Amouage samples as well. The Incense Rose-is that Tauer maybe? I have tried l'aire du desert marocain and loved it, one of my top three so far. I'll take a peek at the Sonoma Scent Studio and the Le Labo-I don't know anything about either of them.

The only Malle samples I could find were direct and they wanted 20 euros for shipping. Does anyne have a suggestion for Malle samples?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

What country are you in? USA?

Blog Entries

Voleur de Roses by L Artisan Parfumeur
    deep wet earth very deep and smoky
    Last edited by Weimar27; 20th October 2010 at 09:53 PM.

I don't really find Lyric Man to be a deep woody dark rose. It's more of a lively, bright, ethereal rose outlined in green, to me.

Lyric Woman.. maybe. Still, DO sample Lyric Man if you are interested in rose, as it is more ostensibly rosy than the women's scent, and is also one of the best roses on the market IMO.

Deep dark and woody? Check out Paestum Rose and perhaps Micallef's Aoud Homme. If you don't mind the rose being a bit of a minor player, Al Oudh is definitely deep and dark and a bit woody.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

If you can try Serge Lutens - Rose de nuit, it's a proeminent deep and dark rose.

Rose de nuit : an extreme perfume, maximum radiant, a flying carpet. Turkish rose absolute gives the ton of the fragrance. The yellow jasmine assures his suavity and his creamy start associated with a fruity apricot scent. The muscs and ambers give all the long a sensual and animalic warmth asserted by the santal. Beeswax absolute comes to reinforce the rich and honeyed sides of the Turkish rose absolute, and complete his nocturnal and fatal aspect.

To my nose, the best Amouage for woody rose is Homage. It's not my style, but it is well made and extraordinarily powerful.

All though not straight up simply rose I would suggest you try Aromatics Elexir. Another rose scent that comesto mind is Queen Bess by Ava Luxe.

Before reading your post, I was about to say Dark Rose by C&S.
    But...do try Byredo - Rose noir . a peppery rose with this deep earthy richness. (even I was surprised!
    Or Costes No. 2, which was reportedly “inspired by the Hotel’s signature rose bouquets and the recently opened rose florist shop”. I love Giacobetti´s Costes 1 (but it does remind me of Touaregh by Il Profumo or even COrso COmo 10).

Anyhow...Byredo!

Burberry London could be one to try. It is a deep, rose scent.

Versace Black Jeans

Black Aoud by Montale

Your thoughts about Tauer's Incense Rose are right on. Some of the other recs above are, admittedly, not all that rose-oriented. Tauer's is.

Montale Highness Rose