Code of Conduct

Thread: Perfume Project

Default Perfume Project

I am a fairly new basenotes member, I am an artist and while looking for new perfumes to try I learned a lot about perfumes, and about vintage perfumes through basenotes.

More than that, thanks to some extremely generous basenotes members I have been able to sample vintage perfumes I was very curious for and which inspired me to try my hand at a new art project based on vintage perfumes and vintage advertisements.

As a child I was already enthralled by vintage illustrations and advertisements, those of Rene Gruau especially. One for ''jolie Madame'' has always lingered in my mind.

I also love lace and ladylike stuff, falbalas and fanfreluges!

I try to wear the perfume I am painting about, and I am trying to get the vintage perfumes but I don't have all those I want to paint yet!

Anyway, I want to share my paintings with you, because basenotes has been for a great part the inspiration in the emergence of the project and I hope many basenoters will give some feedback to me.
    Ideas or brilliant vintage perfumes I have not heard about yet, are welcome too.

All paintings will on my blog too, as well as longer rants, I have only just started: http://aafke-art.com/

TABU
    You the enchantress!

Emeraude

Hillaire

Default Re: Perfume Project

Frou Frou! You artworks are exquisite! And they resonate with the fragrances and the eras so much.

It makes me sad your paintings, with their vintage feeling, aren't used for their current marketing!
    Have you thought of e-mailing Coty/Dana with your ideas?

I love your website, too! Your work is impressive. The kitties 'Going Home' painting touched me very much!

Wow, beautiful paintings! I really like them!

I cannot view any of the images on the site. Tried opening in several browsers. I'm sure they are nice, though!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

By all means, please continue painting and sketching!

Also love the idea of sending your vintage-inspired images to the companies. I hope their myopic mind-set -- they stopped using them at some point, right? -- will not carry on. There should be someone sensitive and sensible there, or so I pray.
    Last edited by Twolf; 26th October 2010 at 01:37 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Wow ... amazing! I love the Dior one, obviously!

Tell me something; are those your eyes?! Gooorgeous!

What Dior? (never mind - I just clicked the link!)

Those are lovely FrouFrou, and I can see the Gruau influence, especially in the Emeraude painting. It reminds me of this one (although it's not one of Gruau's.)

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Frou Frou your art work is amazing, you are very talented! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

WOW!!! Amazing!!! Fantastic!!!
    Welcome to basenotes!!!
    Gary

Hillaire, That is a great idea! I had not thought of e-mailing Dana... I could try and see if Dana might not be interested in using them for advertisement. That would nicely close the circle again too.

The kitties are happily reunited with their doting owner, and had survived the long trip without any after effects.
    I am really glad you like my work, I often feel unsure about it. I had been debating a few days if I dared to post here at all, but the Basenoters are responsible in a large part for the project in the first place.

Klute, thanks!

LiveJazz, That is very strange, I have never had visitors to my blog who could not see the pictures!

Le Grand Duc, Yes, those are my eyes

Evangeline, Yes, that whole free style of painting was very popular for a long time. That particular illustration was in my mind when I thought of Emeraude. Even fashion illustrations for magazines were often painted by illustrators rather than photographed, the models would model the dresses for the illustrators.
    Ah, those were the days!
    I think Rene Gruau is the very best though! Of course he again was influenced by Degas and Toulouse Lautrec, as I am too, obviously.
    That wonderful brushwork, almost abstract yet detailed where necessary. And both Degas and Toulouse Lautrec loved horses too!

Killiwia, and thank you for telling me you like them!

Gary thanks, I love basenotes! I did not think I would get addicted so soon!

I plan to exhibit the series in December, and I have been trying to get some nice vintage fragrances together. I want to exhibit these with the paintings. And I am looking at some very hip fashion shops rather than the ''art galleries''.
    I also want to have a table with small glass dishes with the vintage scents in them so people can sniff and look.

I read somewhere on basenotes that a piece of cloth is way better as paper, or perhaps a bit of chamois leather?
    I could cut them in pretty shapes, add the perfume and put them in the petrie dishes.
    What would be the best way of preserving the scents?

My next paintings will be Balmain de Balmain, got a tiny vintage mini of that, and Houbigant's Chantilly which I like more and more, I am finding it very relaxing powdery, spicy and sexy at the same time.

Your paintings are lovely FrouFrou ! I love cats too .

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Great artwork!

Blog Entries

FrouFrou you are very talented, thankyou so much for sharing your beautiful work & ideas here! l was also very touched by the "Going Home" painting. l think your ideas for the exhibition are fantastic, combining art & perfume is inspired. l would love to experience that, so do let us know where & when, maybe we could even have a basenotes meet-up for the occasion??
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hi FrouFrou,
    thanks for posting, really enjoyed your work! I love your idea of the non-gallery exhibit of your paintings with the scents available. Please let us know where, when, how this develops!!
    As a (former) art director, I think it unlikely that Coty or whoever would actually use your work for ads (not that your work is not good enough -- just that they'll already be invested in their own ideas), but -- you never know -- couldn't hurt to contact them -- they may come up with a PR event where they might have a competition/show of work inspired by their perfumes. Or, a limited-edition booklet... or...
    I love the cats returning piece too! (That story with your paintings would make a great children's book...?)
    Thanks again and keep doing what you love! "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love -- that is the soul of genius." according to Mozart! (my new sig!)
    Last edited by C Rose; 21st October 2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: clarify

I am afraid the exhibition is likely to be in Amsterdam, but that made me think, why not look for a venue in Dallas?

I am thinking of making the cats story into a childrens book, how funny the idea occurred to other people too!

I have just finished a Tabu painting, and have started a Balmain de Balmain one!

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love -- that is the soul of genius." according to Mozart! (my new sig!)
    I love that quote! And it is so true! Love stands at the beginning of all art!

Oh,FrouFrou,you are so talented!I love all of your pieces with animals as the subject and your use of color in the Emeraude piece is so moving to me.I hope you do find a way to have these seen by even more eyes!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Le Grand Duc, Yes, those are my eyes
    Simply gorgeous!

Your work is beautiful , really beautiful

FrouFrou, I love your paintings! They truly express the spirit of those fragrances. Do you like to listen to music while you paint as well, or just wear the fragrance?

Perfumed Lady, I am very glad you like the Emeraude painting!
    I tried to evoke a sort of magical feeling with it.

Le Grand Duc

Pour-Monsieur Thank you

Lilybelle, I certainly listen to music too, as well as wearing the fragrances. I find music carries me over the difficult parts, where I am doubting if my painting is going anywhere, or is worthwhile finishing. And it also carries me through the boring bits.
    There are boring bits in paining!

Here is the next one:TABU, anything might happen...
    I have finished the Balmain one today and will post on that tomorrow when I have the pictures done.

There are boring bits in paining!
    I used to do some painting, drawing, other stuff, too, and I always liked to listen to music. Miles Davis was great for working. I never got his music until I listened while making art...his music works on you subconsciouly, very much like Wagner's preludes and overtures I think (weird to put those two in the same boat I know, but they work in the same way, it just occurred to me). Some music I can't listen to while working, some music is perfect and seems to help the flow. That's why I asked. I was wondering if you had experienced that, too. I know about the boring bits, believe me! My problem was to keep working when I wanted to just stop and say it's finished. I'm very lazy! Therefore, I'm not an artist. I think the boring bits are more about some kind of mental resistance, though. What do you think? Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more your perfume inspired paintings. I hope you will share more of them with us when you're ready. I love what you're doing.

adding: love the latest Tabu! You were posting that as I was posting the above.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 25th October 2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spastic

I will keep updating with my latest pictures sure!
    While researching vintage perfumes I really fell in love with Houbigant's Chantilly. there will be a Chantilly painting soon!

About music, I don't think it's strange to put to very diverse styles of music in the same category when they are having the same effect on you. I think of music in two categories, Good music and Bad music.
    I do experience these things with music. Some noises like the constant drum of an airco I can find very annoying and bad for my work.
    On the whole I find music very important for painting, I always listen to music. and different moods, or different paintings, call for different music.

I know, there are these moments when you want to stop but you really know you should work on it. Or you are scared to do something fairly extreme which might spoil the whole thing. I had something like that with my Balmain painting which I finished today, and I have documented it! I think I am going to show the photo's of different stages on my blog.

But there is also the danger of not stopping in time!
    Nothing more boring as a painting which has been worked on too long!

One of my most brilliant teachers always said: ''A good painter is a lazy painter''!!!
    And the older I get the more I realize that that is a very true statement!

Perfumed Lady, I am very glad you like the Emeraude painting!
    I tried to evoke a sort of magical feeling with it.
    You certainly did succeed!I got that right away when I saw it.It's quite ethereal.

Whooaahhh... Nice work, this is cool!

Very nice! Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us!

That Tabu painting is spot-on! Thanks for sharing it with us.

My next paintings will be Balmain de Balmain, got a tiny vintage mini of that, and Houbigant's Chantilly which I like more and more, I am finding it very relaxing powdery, spicy and sexy at the same time.
    Not to criticize, but to correct: BdB can't be vintage, it was first launched in the late 90s. To qualify for vintage it has to be 25 years of age or older. Can't deny a classical vintage vibe of BdB though, went through 2x100ml bottles, I know.... Will be awaiting a picture of it impatiently.

I know, it is Miss Balmain, my first perfume love!
    Anyway, after I have done enough vintage I will get on with the modern ones, can't leave those out altogether. My plan for this series is vintage up to the fifties.

Sounds fantastic! You know what I personally would like to see? Your interpretation of Houbigant Quelques Fleurs (going by your Wardrobe here).

But there is also the danger of not stopping in time!
    Nothing more boring as a painting which has been worked on too long!
    True!

One of my most brilliant teachers always said: ''A good painter is a lazy painter''!!!
    And the older I get the more I realize that that is a very true statement!
    That's gives me encouragement.

Chantilly is beautiful.

twolf, The ''Quelques Fleurs'' is my most recent buy, it's in the Netherlands, so it will have to wait until I am back! I tried it once. It was an E-bay buy, Chantilly and Quelques Fleurs in two spray bottles.
    btw, those are the most beautiful sprays ever, very soft misty spray, so totally unlike the spray mechanisms of all my modern perfumes, even the most expensive ones!

lillybelle, it's really true, on the days when I am at my best it seems as if I do very little work, yet everything pans out, and then suddenly there is this painting and I have to tell myself to stop!
    It's got to do with planning your painting as well, before you start painting you should work out how you are going to start, which tactics you are going to follow...

I love cats too .

Here is the Miss Balmain painting. I have put up more photos of the sketch and earlier stages on my blog.
    http://aafke-art.com/2010/10/27/miss-balmain/
    I was a bit scared to do the black outline. I would welcome input.

Beautiful work, FrouFrou. The stole in the Balmain is exquisite!

I like the black outline!I want to be dressed just like her!As a fellow lover of Chantilly,I'm anxiously awaiting that one,too.

Blog Entries

Fabulous! l agree that stole looks so real, so soft, fluffy & warm, & suitably elegant!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.