Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances bought from stores

Just wanted to know when you guys shop directly in stores for fragrances, do you take the fragrances (obviously sealed) that you find on the shelfs or do you prefer having them taken by the SA in the drawers because of the light in the store ?

Eventhough the frags are sealed and in their box, is that enough to prevent any deterioration of the fragrance exposed to strong light the whole day ?

Also if you don't have a fridge/cooler to store them at home, do you keep the fragrances in their boxes to preserve them as much as possible ? I am thinking from now on to keep all my subsequent purchases in their boxes since having many frags means you ll keep most of them 2 years or more, and I ve experienced loss of projection and longevity on some of them that I kept in my bathroom without their boxes for 1-2 years.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Default Re: Fragrances bought from stores

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Eventhough the frags are sealed and in their box, is that enough to prevent any deterioration of the fragrance exposed to strong light the whole day ?
    Yes, it is enough.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

If the bottle is in the box, the amount of light in the store won't make any difference.

I keep the boxes for all of my fragrances now, so I can preserve them as long as possible. And yes, I've experienced deterioration of the quality of colognes I've kept in my bathroom cabinet. I had to throw out a bottle of Kouros and Azzaro Pour Homme after leaving them in my bathroom for about a year. The constant ups and downs in the temperature from taking a shower probably made them go bad - they lost a lot of their staying power and projection.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Blog Entries

If a solid cardboard box is that thin, chances are the company is a joke

I have a thermometer probe on the floor which generally hovers between 68 - 74 degrees. I keep my frags as close to the floor as possible, mostly boxed, out of direct light (but not in a dark place like a closet) and certainly not in the bathroom. I have a hunch that stable, room temperatures are important as well as keeping them well-under 80 degrees. Until I can afford to have a professionally engineered "fragrance vault", this will have to do.