Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying, and how many sprays?

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme II. I usually spray it around 7-8 times. I also bring a decant to reapply if need be. Usually I'll spray it on clothing, very close up so that it will stay for awhile.
    I get decent longevity with this, but very poor sillage. I think it's just one of those skin scents.

Default Re: What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying, and how many sprays?

GIT - 3 on my clothes, 2 on each writs, 2 on back of my neck and 2 on my chest, and 1 on the neck. This lasts about an hour and a half to under 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Here's one that would likely beat out any of my 25 spray-days, in terms of sillage and presence:
    Indeed. I think SMW is quite strong TBH Well, as fresh fragrances go anyway. I could smell the sillage of it coming out of the vial in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I get decent longevity with this, but very poor sillage. I think it's just one of those skin scents.
    Yeah I do as well. I mainly do it to at least get some sort of projection
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

About 8 to 10 of MI followed by maybe 5 of SMW. Which I thought were pretty radical numbers until a couple minutes ago....

Default Re: What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying??

35-40 sprays:
    Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte
    PDN Cologne Sologne
    BWAHAHAHAHA. You are my kind of person! Actually, even for me, 35-40 sounds like a bit much. Dang!

I'd say I use a good 15 sprays of a few things, including the following:
    -Eau d'Italie
    -Hermes Jardin Apres la Mousson
    -L'Eau de L'Artisan

I'd say 15 is the most I'd spritz before dressing. My skin eats scent, but I'd rather bring a decant or the bottle and reapply every couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme. ATLEAST 10 sprays. Abysmal longevity & silage. Can't wait to finish the damn bottle.
    I once tried 3 sprays of this and an older lady on transit asked her partner to open the window (and I was at least a meter or so away from her). That being said, with all the people here mentioning 10+ sprays, are we now considering sillage in terms of kilometers?
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

The most I think I've ever done is 5...1 on each wrist, 1 on each side of the neck, and one on the chest...

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    GIT - 3 on my clothes, 2 on each writs, 2 on back of my neck and 2 on my chest, and 1 on the neck. This lasts about an hour and a half to under 3 hours.

Usually with GIT I do 1 on each wrist and 1 on each side of the neck and that lasts for at least 3-4 hours depending on the temperature...if I did 10 I would fee like I was overdoing it...I guess I should try it sometime and see if people run for cover...lol.

DULLAH- that's the first time I've heard that side of the argument for spraying the fragrance on your clothes...I've always heard it projects better from the skin...I never thought about the "staying" power of the topnotes on the clothing as opposed to the skin...maybe I'll try that...I just don't want the scent to be diluted by the detergent smell or something from my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    25 sprays for CREED MI?!!??! wow.... i only do 4 and i'm good for like 6-8 hours on my skin
    Me too.

I don't have a super calculated method, but I know the fragrances I spray the most with are Sel d'Vetiver, Un Jardin Sur le Nil and Endymion
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Me too.

I don't have a super calculated method, but I know the fragrances I spray the most with are Sel d'Vetiver, Un Jardin Sur le Nil and Endymion
    I can understand Endymion, but I find both Sel d'Vetiver and Un Jardin Sur le Nil pretty strong and wearing too much would knock me out.

For me, the fragrance I sprayed the most is Bois Blond by Atelier Cologne. I would do 4 on my neck, 2 on my chest, and then just one on each wrist, so total of 8. As the most concentrated of the Colognes, the longevity of the fragrance is pretty decent, but the scent is pretty weak. So I like to spray liberally, especially since the bottle is so large.

it seems there are many "that men" on this site, unfortunately.

and this is the stigma you bring to us normal wearers. THANKS!

Perfumigate

Pronunciation: pərfyoōməgāt

Sentence: When Marcy overslept and didn’t have time to shower for fear of missing her bus she would perfumigate. She never understood why she could not keep a cat for very long. They all seemed to want to run away with tears in their eyes.

Etymology: perfume (a fragrant liquid typically made from essential oils extracted from flowers and spices, used to impart a pleasant smell to one’s body or clothes) + fumigate (apply the fumes of certain chemicals to (an area) to disinfect it or to rid it of vermin)

DEFINITION: n. A person who wears way too much perfume or cologne. v. To reek of perfume or cologne so strongly that it literally makes other people sick.

***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

fugazi, could you please stop being a moron already?

So hillarious!
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    fugazi, could you please stop being a moron already?
    good to see you have a sense of humor about things.

So you were kidding about DULLAH and others "bringing stigma" or whatever on us "normal wearers"? I reacted to this attitude of yours and nothing else.

So you were kidding about DULLAH and others "bringing stigma" or whatever on us "normal wearers"? I reacted to this attitude of yours and nothing else.
    No, I was deadly serious about that. At the same time, I did specifically say "it's your world, do what you want".

but I'm not the only person who thinks 25 sprays of Millesime Imperial is insane.

how is it "attitude"? i wear between 2 and 5 sprays of everything, depending on strength of fragrance... and I STILL get people who go "oh, who's the cologne guy in the room!?!" (when they are standing 4 feet away from me) Yea... embarrassment central.

whether you want to admit it or not, there is a large negative stigma to people who wear cologne, and it's because of the few that over-bathe themselves in it and FORCE it on others in the room, whether they are close to them, or on the other side.

I once saw a man, before getting on a flight, put about 40 sprays of some hideous Azzarro fragrance from the display counter at the duty-free. I cringed. He just made an entire plane-full of people angry and that much more intolerant of ANY cologne wearers.

It's not attitude. It's a social phenomenon that we, as fragrance-lovers, should discuss. Appropriately discuss in a thread about how many sprays should be applied. I don't know why you're getting so pissy about it. Instead, what's your take on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by fugazi View Post
    No, I was deadly serious about that. At the same time, I did specifically say "it's your world, do what you want".

but I'm not the only person who thinks 25 sprays of Millesime Imperial is insane.

how is it "attitude"? i wear between 2 and 5 sprays of everything, depending on strength of fragrance... and I STILL get people who go "oh, who's the cologne guy in the room!?!" (when they are standing 4 feet away from me) Yea... embarrassment central.

whether you want to admit it or not, there is a large negative stigma to people who wear cologne, and it's because of the few that over-bathe themselves in it and FORCE it on others in the room, whether they are close to them, or on the other side.

I once saw a man, before getting on a flight, put about 40 sprays of some hideous Azzarro fragrance from the display counter at the duty-free. I cringed. He just made an entire plane-full of people angry and that much more intolerant of ANY cologne wearers.

It's not attitude. It's a social phenomenon that we, as fragrance-lovers, should discuss. Appropriately discuss in a thread about how many sprays should be applied. I don't know why you're getting so pissy about it. Instead, what's your take on the matter?
    ah mr. fugazi getting into another scuffle... 38 post and your already building a reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    ah mr. fugazi getting into another scuffle... 38 post and your already building a reputation.
    what's your take on guys who fill a room with their cologne? have no problem with it?

what's your take on guys who fill a room with their cologne? have no problem with it?
    i don't get worked up enough about it to complain about it on the internet

fugazi, excuse me about being so blunt. That was unnecessary, I'm sorry. DULLAH explained quite well what he is doing and why. He does not seem to be an inconsiderate person or anything, yet you kept going. I don't disagree with you about the main point, it was more about how you expressed it.

fugazi, excuse me about being so blunt. That was unnecessary, I'm sorry. DULLAH explained quite well what he is doing and why. He does not seem to be an inconsiderate person or anything, yet you kept going. I don't disagree with you about the main point, it was more about how you expressed it.
    i have nothing against DULLAH. he's one of my favorite people on here.

but you will notice that MANY people here are shocked at the amount of fragrance he puts on. Not just me. and he's far from the only person that uses what many would consider to be "a lot" of fragrance.

I am trying to make a larger point about the etiquette of our hobby here. I don't understand why that's such a sensitive subject, and why people are attacking me for bringing it up. I think it's an important thing for frag-hobbiests to consider and acknowledge.

if you don't think it's important (md1grwl), then that's cool... but don't accuse me of getting personal (especially towards a fellow ATCQ lover like DULLAH) when I'm discussing the topic of the thread at hand.

in fact, I'd love to get DULLAH's take on it. I wonder if anyone has ever said anything to him about the strength of his fragrance.

It's generally 22.
    And Have you noticed how much smaller the sprays are coming from a leather creed 50ml atomizer?
    All the creeds listed are from those. Erolfa, MI, Windsor, Scent of Oger, Selection verte, all in 50ml leather atomizers. From a 4oz CREED with the huge sprays, I'd use like 15 or 16 or so of MI, Erolfa, or Scent of Oger. But Probably still 20 of Windsor or Selection Verte. That's only slightly past the edge of too much, but too much of a scent that is pleasant and light in nature isn't any wear near offensive. Many times, sensible reviewers include statements such as "Impossible to over apply", when discussing natural-smelling citrus scents. For contrast, today I applied 3 sprays of Guerlain Vetiver Sport on the right, and 3 sprays of CREED Vetiver 48 on the left, and I feel it's slightly too much. Different fragrances require vastly different applications.

It'd be embarrassment if I were to walk in a room wearing a bad-smelling scent, but all the scents I listed are light citrusy/green/aquatic scents with very natural profiles, which by nature are inoffensive, and elicit quite alot of praise. Of all the scent I listed, nearly everytime(literally) I wear 16 or more sprays of Concentre D'Orange Verte, I get TONS of compliments from young and old women alike. MI gets alot of compliments too, mostly from girls my age or younger

And the stigma is generally aimed at 40-something or 50-something dudes who wear 20 sprays of cheap 80's masculine powerhouses. Like the Russian dude in that beer commercial you posted, likely wearing 20 sprays of Quorum or Paul Sebastian. The stereotype isn't particularly aimed at young guys smelling fresh. Maybe perhaps the new stigma is for Guidos in Jersey wearing Armani Code and D&G so heavily...but even that isn't as offensive as the OG MANDOM/beer commercial "powerhouse" stigma. Also, please notice I refuse to wear more than 4 sprays (generally2-3) of Bogart Pour Homme, Tobacco Vanille, or Pure Malt.........

^^^ all that makes a lot of sense. especially the last paragraph.

and yes, the atomizers are probably 2.5:1 compared to the bottles. you should see the Sublime Vanille poofer, hardly anything comes out. it's a real pain in the ass, I have to squeeze it like 100 times. I think I'm going to get an atomizer for it and bypass the poofer altogether.

LOL
    It's 25 out of the leather atomizer, which is smaller sprays.
    Out of the 4 ounce flask, I'd still do about 16-18 sprays.
    LOL. Dude, respect. I'm going to try this some day.

I've got to agree with Fugazi here. Too much is too much. And anything over 10 or so is always too much (except in the rarest of circumstances). It's like, I don't care how loud you listen to your music, either.. 70db..80db..90db... but listening at 130db would just be too loud. It'd damage your hearing and besides, would likely sound like shit at that volume. Even if you liked it, it would surely piss off your neighbors.

Yes, I do think people should have the right to wear various amounts and to project more loudly or less than others, but there is still a limit - one that can't perhaps be defined entirely scientifically, but is usually gleaned by common sense.

To defend extreme over-spraying is absurd. That's the kind of stuff that leads to fragrance bans. Do we really need (or want?!) another Detroit situation?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

On El- decent fragrance, but no longevity at all, thus, I often apply 20-30 sprays

5 is MAX for me for any fragrance

I agree with people like fugazi, SculptureOfSoul and remixx. 5 for me is max. More than 10 is just wrong, you'll scare people away.
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

fountain

five, worth pour homme

Sadly, YSL Live Jazz NEEDS 10 - 15 sprays on me, otherwise it is extremely fleeting. I love it dearly, but it really is very weak (unless I have a bad bottle). The Tom Fords are also rather weak, which is the main reason why I have only bought one (Extreme).

For reference, I don't usually use more than 3 - 4 sprays. Kouros is 2, under clothes.

One time I did 10 sprays of Rochas Man.
    and it wasn't bad
    Signature - Rochas Man, Bvlgari Black

Go-to - Baby Blue Jeans, The Dreamer, Rive Gauche.

Go-out - Angel Men Pure Malt, 1 Million

Retired - Polo Double Black, Armani Code, 212, Euphoria

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've got to agree with Fugazi here. Too much is too much. And anything over 10 or so is always too much (except in the rarest of circumstances). It's like, I don't care how loud you listen to your music, either.. 70db..80db..90db... but listening at 130db would just be too loud. It'd damage your hearing and besides, would likely sound like shit at that volume. Even if you liked it, it would surely piss off your neighbors.

Yes, I do think people should have the right to wear various amounts and to project more loudly or less than others, but there is still a limit - one that can't perhaps be defined entirely scientifically, but is usually gleaned by common sense.

To defend extreme over-spraying is absurd. That's the kind of stuff that leads to fragrance bans. Do we really need (or want?!) another Detroit situation?
    100% agreed.

DULLAH ....O_O.. Go get that nose checked haha

I hope you don't work in an office environment. Women must run a mile when they see you coming. "Oh great, here comes that guy who baths himself in his fragrances. I bet you are offending more people, rather than leaving them with a " Wow! that guy smelt great" impression.

I spray 5 max with a cologne, and 4 Sprays with an EDT, and I'm set. You want the smell to be inviting, not overpowering.

Dependent

Anything Polo. Polo Blue, the Big Pony Collection, Polo Black, Polo Double Black. BUT not the original.

Gucci Pour Homme II, average 8-10 depending on the occasion

Newbies

Heres Charles Bronson applying Musc Ravageur

It's pretty interesting to see the variety of responses in this thread. Clearly there are differences in what we perceive as appropriate - I wonder how much is due to culture vs. skin chemistry.

I'd love to see a map with "average" sprays per region. It would be useful when traveling or living in a new country.

It was L'eau par by kenzo, now it's probably Virgin Island Water because Kenzo is gone.
    Last edited by tiberije; 12th October 2011 at 02:43 AM.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Wow, and I thought I over sprayed my Silver Mountain Water. My spray count pales in comparison with those other posters who spray in the double digits.

Here's my list of frags that I "over spray":
    SMW: 4 sprays when going to work. 5 sprays on the weekend when going out with my wife.
    Himalaya: 4 sprays

Contrary to what others say about Himalaya, I actually get good longevity and sillage. I get about 8 to 10 hours. My SMW isn't nearly as good though, I get about 4 to 8 hours, depending on weather and my wardrobe.

I got both frags from Fragrancenet.

Light citrus colognes like Eau d'Orange Verte, Varvatos Artisan and Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse get sprayed more, and I agree that spraying it on fabric helps longevity a lot. I'd estimate 5 large sprays of either, while most of my other frags get 2-3 sprays, sometimes less.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Light citrus colognes like Eau d'Orange Verte, Varvatos Artisan and Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse get sprayed more, and I agree that spraying it on fabric helps longevity a lot. I'd estimate 5 large sprays of either, while most of my other frags get 2-3 sprays, sometimes less.
    Agree. I'm wearing Eau d'Orange Verte a lot, and it takes me a good 5/6 sprays, with occasional refresh during the day
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Eau de Guerlain-15 sprays...This is one of the fragrances that if you only spray five sprays, no one will smell you in 30 minutes. That's not the way I spend $100 bucks...You feel me?
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's 6 sprays, repeat after 4 hours...All of their juice is one step above water...

- - - Updated - - -

I explained myself on other threads. Smoking, passing gas, foul body odor, or too much cologne in a small area where there are many people is rude. Just because you and I like a fragrance, doesn't mean everyone does...besides, some folks have asthma or other breathing problems. I am conscientious in applying enough to project about half an arms length. I went to an outdoor picnic last summer, and took the opportunity to lay on some GIT heavier than I usually do. There was a breeze and the feedback I got was the 'occasional wafts' smelled good--But bathing in Musc Kublai Khan then standing in a crowded elevator is rude.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 25th November 2012 at 04:39 PM.

I max out at 8 sprays, regardless of the juice. I don't ever want to feel 'wet' because of having been trigger happy. Lighter Bulgaris like Pour Homme, Soir and the eaux parfumees would be subjected to this kind of treatment. Heavy hitters like Kouros: only two hits from a respectful distance.

I agree with members who find people with aggressive, intrusive sillage a bit inconsiderate / invasive.

Sound Scents

Probably Acqua di Parma Colonia, Eau d'Orange Vert or Bellagio for Men. I usually do 5 sprays when wearing these.
    Last edited by drseid; 25th November 2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Thats funny...went to a gathering yesterday and sprayed 5 sprays of silver mountain water...I thought that was actually pretty strong, but the thing is..it went away after about 2 hours...would likely stick to 4 or maybe 3.

I had this fragrance Zirh by Zirh which is really nice actually, its a cheaper one...smells of lime and verbena-I would spray this one around 7 or 8 times. Its an awesome smell, wish it lasted longer and I would buy another bottle.

Eau de Rochas pour Homme. 6-9 sprays
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

what about creed aventus? i sprayed 3 times on the neck and i cant smell it, other guy said that he can smell it only close to skin

Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert - 6-7 sprays.

I won't do more than 4 sprays. If it takes more than that to get decent longevity and projection, I don't even want to own it.
    Longevity is almost as important to me as the scent. Maybe that's why I lean more toward the "powerhouses" these days.

5 sprays is max for me.... we are talking with something like Set Sail St. Barts.... but with SSSB, it's like 5 sprays every 2 hours.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

5 sprays of anything is too much
    i hate to be near any of you guys spraying these ridiculous numbers
    i seriously hope you are joking

i seriously hope you have real friends/family that are honest enough to tell you to cut down
    Current Top 10
    1) Royal Oud
    2) Aventus
    3) La Nuit De L'homme EDP
    4) L'eau D'issey
    5) Terre D'hermes
    6) Burberry London
    7) MI
    8) Le Male
    9) Pure Malt
    10) GIT

I generally max out at six sprays, with two exceptions:

Tommy Bahama Set Sail Martinique, 15 sprays in the summer heat. And Marc Jacobs Bang gets as many as 10 sprays, both because the sprayer is weak and the fragrance itself has poor longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    The most I think I've ever done is 5...1 on each wrist, 1 on each side of the neck, and one on the chest...
    This is exactly how I apply most scents, most of the time.

Sometimes I'll go up to 8 sprays with Love and Luck or Cool Water if I'm wearing it in a large open area

Dunhill Desire for a Man (Red)

This is my favorite scent i've come across to date but the sillage and longevity is so terrible im giving up and not going to buy it again.

I always well and truly over do it applying this but its just that watered down or weak that it doesn't make a difference.

Last Friday before going to out dinner I sprayed 3 on each side of my neck and one on each wrist (8 in total) 10 minutes later when I picked up my girlfriend she couldn't smell it at all when she got in the car and could only smell it within about 6" of my skin.... Terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_ View Post
    Dunhill Desire for a Man (Red)

This is my favorite scent i've come across to date but the sillage and longevity is so terrible im giving up and not going to buy it again.

I always well and truly over do it applying this but its just that watered down or weak that it doesn't make a difference.

Last Friday before going to out dinner I sprayed 3 on each side of my neck and one on each wrist (8 in total) 10 minutes later when I picked up my girlfriend she couldn't smell it at all when she got in the car and could only smell it within about 6" of my skin.... Terrible!

It's not that bad

Quote Originally Posted by keagz08 View Post
    It's not that bad
    Its bad enough that im cant bring myself to buy it again even though its by far my favorite cologne.

Whats the point of having a nice scent on if no one can smell it? Its like having a nice shirt and never taking your jacket off, ever