Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying, and how many sprays?

I agree with people like fugazi, SculptureOfSoul and remixx. 5 for me is max. More than 10 is just wrong, you'll scare people away.
    Acqua di Gi is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

fountain

Default Re: What fragrance do you use the most sprays of when your applying, and how many sprays?

five, worth pour homme

Sadly, YSL Live Jazz NEEDS 10 - 15 sprays on me, otherwise it is extremely fleeting. I love it dearly, but it really is very weak (unless I have a bad bottle). The Tom Fords are also rather weak, which is the main reason why I have only bought one (Extreme).

For reference, I don't usually use more than 3 - 4 sprays. Kouros is 2, under clothes.

One time I did 10 sprays of Rochas Man.
    and it wasn't bad
    Signature - Rochas Man, Bvlgari Black

Go-to - Baby Blue Jeans, The Dreamer, Rive Gauche.

Go-out - Angel Men Pure Malt, 1 Million

Retired - Polo Double Black, Armani Code, 212, Euphoria

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've got to agree with Fugazi here. Too much is too much. And anything over 10 or so is always too much (except in the rarest of circumstances). It's like, I don't care how loud you listen to your music, either.. 70db..80db..90db... but listening at 130db would just be too loud. It'd damage your hearing and besides, would likely sound like shit at that volume. Even if you liked it, it would surely piss off your neighbors.

Yes, I do think people should have the right to wear various amounts and to project more loudly or less than others, but there is still a limit - one that can't perhaps be defined entirely scientifically, but is usually gleaned by common sense.

To defend extreme over-spraying is absurd. That's the kind of stuff that leads to fragrance bans. Do we really need (or want?!) another Detroit situation?
    100% agreed.

DULLAH ....O_O.. Go get that nose checked haha

I hope you don't work in an office environment. Women must run a mile when they see you coming. "Oh great, here comes that guy who baths himself in his fragrances. I bet you are offending more people, rather than leaving them with a " Wow! that guy smelt great" impression.

I spray 5 max with a cologne, and 4 Sprays with an EDT, and I'm set. You want the smell to be inviting, not overpowering.

Dependent

Anything Polo. Polo Blue, the Big Pony Collection, Polo Black, Polo Double Black. BUT not the original.

Gucci Pour Homme II, average 8-10 depending on the occasion

Newbies

Heres Charles Bronson applying Musc Ravageur

It's pretty interesting to see the variety of responses in this thread. Clearly there are differences in what we perceive as appropriate - I wonder how much is due to culture vs. skin chemistry.

I'd love to see a map with "average" sprays per region. It would be useful when traveling or living in a new country.

It was L'eau par by kenzo, now it's probably Virgin Island Water because Kenzo is gone.
    Last edited by tiberije; 12th October 2011 at 01:43 AM.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Wow, and I thought I over sprayed my Silver Mountain Water. My spray count pales in comparison with those other posters who spray in the double digits.

Here's my list of frags that I "over spray":
    SMW: 4 sprays when going to work. 5 sprays on the weekend when going out with my wife.
    Himalaya: 4 sprays

Contrary to what others say about Himalaya, I actually get good longevity and sillage. I get about 8 to 10 hours. My SMW isn't nearly as good though, I get about 4 to 8 hours, depending on weather and my wardrobe.

I got both frags from Fragrancenet.

Light citrus colognes like Eau d'Orange Verte, Varvatos Artisan and Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse get sprayed more, and I agree that spraying it on fabric helps longevity a lot. I'd estimate 5 large sprays of either, while most of my other frags get 2-3 sprays, sometimes less.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Light citrus colognes like Eau d'Orange Verte, Varvatos Artisan and Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse get sprayed more, and I agree that spraying it on fabric helps longevity a lot. I'd estimate 5 large sprays of either, while most of my other frags get 2-3 sprays, sometimes less.
    Agree. I'm wearing Eau d'Orange Verte a lot, and it takes me a good 5/6 sprays, with occasional refresh during the day
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Eau de Guerlain-15 sprays...This is one of the fragrances that if you only spray five sprays, no one will smell you in 30 minutes. That's not the way I spend $100 bucks...You feel me?
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's 6 sprays, repeat after 4 hours...All of their juice is one step above water...

- - - Updated - - -

I explained myself on other threads. Smoking, passing gas, foul body odor, or too much cologne in a small area where there are many people is rude. Just because you and I like a fragrance, doesn't mean everyone does...besides, some folks have asthma or other breathing problems. I am conscientious in applying enough to project about half an arms length. I went to an outdoor picnic last summer, and took the opportunity to lay on some GIT heavier than I usually do. There was a breeze and the feedback I got was the 'occasional wafts' smelled good--But bathing in Musc Kublai Khan then standing in a crowded elevator is rude.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 25th November 2012 at 03:39 PM.

I max out at 8 sprays, regardless of the juice. I don't ever want to feel 'wet' because of having been trigger happy. Lighter Bulgaris like Pour Homme, Soir and the eaux parfumees would be subjected to this kind of treatment. Heavy hitters like Kouros: only two hits from a respectful distance.

I agree with members who find people with aggressive, intrusive sillage a bit inconsiderate / invasive.

Sound Scents

Probably Acqua di Parma Colonia, Eau d'Orange Vert or Bellagio for Men. I usually do 5 sprays when wearing these.
    Last edited by drseid; 25th November 2012 at 06:02 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Priv (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Thats funny...went to a gathering yesterday and sprayed 5 sprays of silver mountain water...I thought that was actually pretty strong, but the thing is..it went away after about 2 hours...would likely stick to 4 or maybe 3.

I had this fragrance Zirh by Zirh which is really nice actually, its a cheaper one...smells of lime and verbena-I would spray this one around 7 or 8 times. Its an awesome smell, wish it lasted longer and I would buy another bottle.

Eau de Rochas pour Homme. 6-9 sprays
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

Current Top 7:

Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vtg) (Max Gavary, 1994)
    Chanel Allure Homme (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1999)

what about creed aventus? i sprayed 3 times on the neck and i cant smell it, other guy said that he can smell it only close to skin

Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert - 6-7 sprays.

I won't do more than 4 sprays. If it takes more than that to get decent longevity and projection, I don't even want to own it.
    Longevity is almost as important to me as the scent. Maybe that's why I lean more toward the "powerhouses" these days.

5 sprays is max for me.... we are talking with something like Set Sail St. Barts.... but with SSSB, it's like 5 sprays every 2 hours.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

5 sprays of anything is too much
    i hate to be near any of you guys spraying these ridiculous numbers
    i seriously hope you are joking

i seriously hope you have real friends/family that are honest enough to tell you to cut down
    Current Top 10
    1) Royal Oud
    2) Aventus
    3) La Nuit De L'homme EDP
    4) L'eau D'issey
    5) Terre D'hermes
    6) Burberry London
    7) MI
    8) Le Male
    9) Pure Malt
    10) GIT

I generally max out at six sprays, with two exceptions:

Tommy Bahama Set Sail Martinique, 15 sprays in the summer heat. And Marc Jacobs Bang gets as many as 10 sprays, both because the sprayer is weak and the fragrance itself has poor longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    The most I think I've ever done is 5...1 on each wrist, 1 on each side of the neck, and one on the chest...
    This is exactly how I apply most scents, most of the time.

Sometimes I'll go up to 8 sprays with Love and Luck or Cool Water if I'm wearing it in a large open area

Dunhill Desire for a Man (Red)

This is my favorite scent i've come across to date but the sillage and longevity is so terrible im giving up and not going to buy it again.

I always well and truly over do it applying this but its just that watered down or weak that it doesn't make a difference.

Last Friday before going to out dinner I sprayed 3 on each side of my neck and one on each wrist (8 in total) 10 minutes later when I picked up my girlfriend she couldn't smell it at all when she got in the car and could only smell it within about 6" of my skin.... Terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_ View Post
    Dunhill Desire for a Man (Red)

This is my favorite scent i've come across to date but the sillage and longevity is so terrible im giving up and not going to buy it again.

I always well and truly over do it applying this but its just that watered down or weak that it doesn't make a difference.

Last Friday before going to out dinner I sprayed 3 on each side of my neck and one on each wrist (8 in total) 10 minutes later when I picked up my girlfriend she couldn't smell it at all when she got in the car and could only smell it within about 6" of my skin.... Terrible!

It's not that bad

Quote Originally Posted by keagz08 View Post
    It's not that bad
    Its bad enough that im cant bring myself to buy it again even though its by far my favorite cologne.

Whats the point of having a nice scent on if no one can smell it? Its like having a nice shirt and never taking your jacket off, ever