Code of Conduct

Question What would be your pick for ....

Spending 69 days trapped in a mine shaft? This story just fascinates me and I cried my way through every recovered miner. When the back stories came out I saw that one requested Elvis music to pass the time and lift his spirits, which I thought was funny.

I daresay that most of us would request a bottle of perfume for mood enhancement, so...
    which one bottle would you ask for, in this God foresaken situation?

For me: Mitsouko
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What would be your pick for ....

Positively uplifting.............
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th October 2010 at 06:04 PM.

Hmmm, think I'd ask for an Amouage sampler set, to keep my nose entertained.
    But, if just one bottle, I think it would be Mitsouko for me too! It's my comfort and meditative scent.

(I like the guy who on coming out, hugged his wife and asked her: "How's the dog?" That would be my DH's first question...)

Blog Entries

Mitsouko comforts the soul!

C Rose, if there was ever a time I wished I spoke Spanish it was yesterday, I really wanted to understand what Luis said to the President (later translated, but I hope it was an accurate translation

Hmm... Yes, it looks Mitsouko is a leading contender here, it is my happy scent!

Dior's Dolce Vita for me !
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I agree. Can't go wrong with Mitsouko, gorgeous and easy on the nose for anybody stuck down there with you.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Hee - good one, sophi!

While Mitsouko certainly is beautiful and I like it just fine, I don't find it exactly uplifting, joyful or even slightly cheerful. I think I'd have to go for something glorious and radiant like Chamade. But for something downright comforting I'd probably count on Bois des Iles.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Neil Morris Dark Earth.

My tool box (over a 100 samples) to keep my nose entertained, just like C Rose. Gemini here for you, can't hide from myself. Erm, from myselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Neil Morris Dark Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    My tool box (over a 100 samples) to keep my nose entertained, just like C Rose. Gemini here for you, can't hide from myself. Erm, from myselves.
    You both make me smile. :-)

I think I'd go with Evangeline and pick something that I find uplifting. Probably Chamade or Timbuktu.

I love Mitsouko but I think I'd go for a fresh spring or clean cotton type of scent, lol.

Le Parfum de Therese. Where there is such transcendent beauty, there must always be hope.

Amouage Homage without a doubt

oh gawd. Only on Basenotes... LOL.

OK, I'll bite.

How about John Varvatos Rock?
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

hmmm... so many of these are sitting on my perfume shelf or in my sample box: Chamade (I have a 2000 EDP), Parfum de Therese (Luvvvv this one), even Homage was a favorite sampling. Ah, I would happily spend 69 days underground with the lot of you!

Chanel no. 19.

Well, I'd want something very cheery, sunny, and optimistic.. and also something light that wouldn't offend others in such a small space.

I'd probably go with AdP Colonia.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Ditto for Mitsouko. Male or female. Summer or winter. Lifts my spirits and comforts me.

Just to clarify... I posted this in response to learning that one of the miner's requested Elvis music to soothe his spirits. My question is, what would we choose (perfume wise) that would be soothing. As you read the back stories of these men it is interesting to see what they did to keep their hopes up, and indeed, when they emerged they all looked healthy (emotionally and physically). The question wasn't meant to make light of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    Just to clarify... I posted this in response to learning that one of the miner's requested Elvis music to soothe his spirits. My question is, what would we choose (perfume wise) that would be soothing. As you read the back stories of these men it is interesting to see what they did to keep their hopes up, and indeed, when they emerged they all looked healthy (emotionally and physically). The question wasn't meant to make light of the situation.
    I didn't read your question as anything other than an attempt to evoke our imagined responses to being in similar situations that required lifting of spirits. I trust further posts here will continue to discuss that topic, and anyone wanting to question the appropriateness of the thread can do so by contacting me, or another moderator, by PM only, not on the forum as it is not only off topic, it gives the appearance of deliberately stirring the pot (trolling).
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Theorema for sure, it's hot and spicy and comforting and delicious, something to light up the damp, dark earth.

Blog Entries

I'll join the minority group with a sample box. In a difficult situation constancy worries me and the possibility of a change uplifts (said she, picking through samples to wear today).
    Last edited by Warum; 15th October 2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: wording

Blog Entries

Yves Saint Laurent Opium

DeepSilence

Absolutely a citrus fragrance. Hope by Rasasi
    In hopeless is a little Hope//End of black night is white(dawn)
    In translation rime has lost.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 19th October 2010 at 03:55 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Since the time confined would be associated with whatever scent was chosen, in reality I wouldn't want to tie a fragrance to that frightening experience. However, I'm aware of cave experiments, where people volunteer to test for one thing or another by being confined to a cave, completely detached from outside cues. Under that circumstance, I would want the whole toolbox, as Twolf put it, but Mitsouko would be a contender for the one-and-only selection. I do think it would blend well with the underground smell.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Since the time confined would be associated with whatever scent was chosen ...
    You have a very good point there, but still ...

I would want Coromandel. Because for me Coromandel is the love of my life and the solution for everything. If I were in that horrible situation and needed comfort or something to take my mind off of things, Coromandel could do that for me.

mysore sandalwood oil, for its calming effects.
    "Strive for perfection in everything, take the best that exists and make it better, if it doesn't exist create it, accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Royce

Hillaire

I kept thinking about the BO situation down there. I think I'd want something that would enclose me in a protective bubble of scent as well as 'refresh'. I'd choose Soir de Lune.

Banned

Ambre Sultan. It's my comfort scent and works like a cozy blanket.

I'm going with Tocade. Somehow, it seems to soothe me.