Code of Conduct

Default Sel De Vetiver vs. Fat Electrician

I find these to be in the same vein... both have a 'salty' vibe to them IMO.

I like them both, but already own Sel De Vetiver. Think both can inhabit the same wardrobe?

Compare & Contrast!

Default Re: Sel De Vetiver vs. Fat Electrician

I am not that familiar with Sel de Vetiver, but love and own Fat Electrician. The inclusion of vanilla is quite unique (for a vetiver), and while vetiver prominent, I would not consider it a "run of the mill" vetiver.

I see *some* similarity but not much. SdV is far more transparent -- for me, it's even a bit too quiet in cool weather and needs a warm day to wake it up. The vanilla in FatE makes it fuller and more rounded -- the drydown tilts a bit in the direction of an oriental.

I'd say if you only want two or three vetivers in your wardrobe you might look for a more dramatic contrast than these two provide. But if you want to host a larger vetiver family, one of these two doesn't make the other redundant.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I guess someone must say it--*sigh* Sounds like a wrestling match to me. Sorry guys!!

fight, fight, fight.................

I don't see alot of similarities here. The longevity and density of FE, makes it a thumbs up for me. Sel de Vetiver, while nice, is too ethereal and thin for the price it demands.

you guys don't get that salty gauzy feeling both yield on the top? i certainly do. first thing i thought about when i first smelled FE.

after that, the heart & base are very different, but both have a slightly sharp, some would say 'metallic' top.

I have only Sel de Vétiver but want Fat Electrician, too. I don't find them similar: SdV has a salty vibe, FE is more gourmand.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I don't see alot of similarities here. The longevity and density of FE, makes it a thumbs up for me. Sel de Vetiver, while nice, is too ethereal and thin for the price it demands.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Stay with the Sel de Vetiver.

Follow-up question...how does Fat Electrician compare with Vetiver Tonka? Seems like FE would share more with VT than SdV, just having read the reviews of FE.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Follow-up question...how does Fat Electrician compare with Vetiver Tonka? Seems like FE would share more with VT than SdV, just having read the reviews of FE.
    I have samples of both and never took the plunge for Vetiver Tonka… though I’m about to buy Fat Electrician.

VT is more tonka then vetiver. I actually get very little vetiver at all… its just there to ever so slightly offset the, IMO overly sweet tonka. I find VT a bit too feminine for me to wear comfortably. Lots of round, sweet hazelnutty tonka. Very little vetiver.

FE on the other hand has more sharp vetiver to justify being classified a “vetiver”. The vanilla in it isn’t overly sickeningly sweet, and the vetiver give it an ‘electric’ feel some describe. More a balancing act of two contrast.

I like FE better.

Must...sample...FE.

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I am wearing a sample of FE today. I am not a fan of vanilla but in FE, it is not an issue and it is blended well. I really like FE and find it highly wearable. I definately get a refined vetiver. The drydown is magic. I'm considering a purchase. This might rival my Enre Noir as favorite vetiver.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I am wearing a sample of FE today. I am not a fan of vanilla but in FE, it is not an issue and it is blended well. I really like FE and find it highly wearable. I definately get a refined vetiver. The drydown is magic. I'm considering a purchase. This might rival my Enre Noir as favorite vetiver.
    mine is in transit as I type from Luckyscent! awsome fragrance.

I've only got samples of Fat Electrician, and I just feel that it doesn't seem as complex as Sel de Vetiver. But I feel that they are different enough in character that one can actually have both.

However, as a vetiver + vanilla scent, I have to compare it with Vetiver Oriental from Serge Lutens as well. Again, I found Fat Electrician rather flat in comparison.

As you pointed out, I would consider Fat Electrician a better fragrance than Vetiver Tonka, but otherwise, I'd choose Vetiver Oriental over it.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I've only got samples of Fat Electrician, and I just feel that it doesn't seem as complex as Sel de Vetiver. But I feel that they are different enough in character that one can actually have both.

However, as a vetiver + vanilla scent, I have to compare it with Vetiver Oriental from Serge Lutens as well. Again, I found Fat Electrician rather flat in comparison.

As you pointed out, I would consider Fat Electrician a better fragrance than Vetiver Tonka, but otherwise, I'd choose Vetiver Oriental over it.
    This gives something to think about and a good analysis. I love the vetiver in vetiver tonka but the tonka part kinda annoys me.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?