Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Esencia by Loewe. Is it THAT good?

I have read in several articles that Esencia by Loewe is the best perfume for men ever made. The availability of Loewe's products here in the US is practically null so I have not had the chance to buy it anywhere, not even the chance of testing it. If you have had the luck of testing Esencia, would please give me your honest opinion?

Default Re: Esencia by Loewe. Is it THAT good?

wonderfull scent, very classic, masculin, refined and with a touch of citrus that makes it slightly sweet

I have it, like it and seldom wear it; I agree with Blackened on his description, but tastes are very personal, moreover when it comes to scents.

Now, it is true it does not have anything to do with mainstream blends relased nowadays, the main reason why it feels classic without being dated.

To me, it is, since it has a very edgy yet at the same time elegant, dark powerhouse sense of style

Never tried it, but it's been on my test list for the longest time. It's said to have one of the best, if not, the best dry downs ever.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    ... It's said to have one of the best, if not, the best dry downs ever.
    Right so.

Have to say I'm intrigued to try this.....but isn't this the same one available online in the U.S.?

http://www.fragrancenet.com/esencia-...5?cur_letter=E

http://www.strawberrynet.com/mens-fr.../27169/#DETAIL

I'm assuming I might of missed something, but on the off chance you didn't see these, hope this helps!

Force of One:

In internet EVERYTHING is available, that is not what I was refering to
    It is not available in any store that I know of, so I can not go and try the tester.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    Force of One:

In internet EVERYTHING is available, that is not what I was refering to
    It is not available in any store that I know of, so I can not go and try the tester.
    My bad....I thought you mentioned not being able to buy it. Just trying to help....

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    Just trying to help....
    I knew you had good intentions, I was not clear enough. Thank you,

It's good.
    (Well that was helpful, wasn't it? )
    And you're welcome to read my review. Perhaps TPC carries it, but when it's online for $45--

There may be places that have a mini available.

OK here's one: http://www.perfumeemporium.com/mens-...cia-Loewe.html

So now it's $14.

Pax,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I found it too intense to my taste, yet I can see why many people think it to be one of the best scents on the planet. Well worth a trying.

fountain

it is a masterpiece in my book

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I agree taste is highly personal. But if I'm allowed only one fragrance, this could well be it. Esencia de Loewe is as close as it gets to a HG for me. It has the hallmarks of classic deep green masculines but with a smoother, elegantly suave profile and one of the best drydowns in the business. I don't believe in keeping backup bottles of anything but Esencia gives me reasons to reconsider.
    Yes, it's THAT good!

After reading your responses I may be tempted to buy it blind.
    Thank you guys

Never rely on comments, however positive; try before!!! OK, you can always sell it here in BN's Marketplace if you don't like it after having bought it and tried it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Never rely on comments, however positive; try before!!! OK, you can always sell it here in BN's Marketplace if you don't like it after having bought it and tried it.
    +1 my sentiments too!

If you dark green & bitter notes, you might enjoy this... Otherwise, there's still the drydown!

I bought one bottle in Aruba several years ago. Its hard to find it in good price....In general duty free market have it in 80usd for 100 ml.

Its a nice fragance with huge success in the spanish market....You know check www.ciao.es and writte "esencia loewe".....lots of comments!

My personal opinion is Esencia is a very nice fragance, super masculine and green.....sooooooo green....Elegant and deep....Its in the middle of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and VC and Arpels pour homme.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favorite scents
    it has a very elegant tobacco note in the top notes that's just awesome
    then goes green dark and suave into the pleasant basenotes that is never boring
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

This may sound like an oxymoron, but it's a smooth powerhouse to me. I don't know that it's a masterpiece, but it is nice; almost formal.

Can anyone attest to any differences between the vintage and the newer version? I just picked up the vintage on Ebay for a good price and I'm coming in blind. Also picked up Loewe PH which I hear great things about too. The descriptions of Esencia remind me of Polo green.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Oh no, not another blind buy temptation!

Just returned from a holiday in Spain.I 've seen Loewe in almost every perfumestore and warehouse.
    I have the Loewe PH for about two years and tested the Essencia a few times last weeks.
    I think we can speak of very high quality scents.I also tested their newest release,Loewe 7,wich one also was a great surprise!But the Essencia and Pour Homme are both classics,and the flagships of their collection.

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    Just returned from a holiday in Spain.I 've seen Loewe in almost every perfumestore and warehouse.
    I have the Loewe PH for about two years and tested the Essencia a few times last weeks.
    I think we can speak of very high quality scents.I also tested their newest release,Loewe 7,wich one also was a great surprise!But the Essencia and Pour Homme are both classics,and the flagships of their collection.
    the current flagship is Solo de Loewe , a young classical very appreciated

Loewe scents were stocked by a local chain in Australia, but didn't do very well and are no longer available. I wasn't enthused by them, and didn't buy them - despite the very big bottles, which were pretty good value.
    I got a chance to revisit the Loewe scents in Madrid last year.
    Some were okay. Memory came back of those I'd earlier tested them.

Yes, there's something a bit different about them, which is good.
    Whether you'd be thoroughly pleased by a blind buy is, however, open to question.
    Regards,
    Renato

It has one of the strongest sillage I have ever experienced not to mention its thermo nuclear longevity. Mature, elegant and strong. I bet something it has been reformulated ... it is not the same juice I used to wear in the 90´s. Esencia ruled the Spanish men fragrance scenario for a decade perhaps longer.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

In Hungary Douglas carries Loewe scents. But virtually it's not a big hit, because they've withdrawn it from the country shops, keeping it only in the capital - atleast this is my experience with the men's line. Too bad.

Tempted, most tempted for a blinder, given the reviews. Then again I blind bought Aramis classic which was absolutely the biggest fragrance mistake of my life, so I should refrain.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I once did a comparison the vintage & the current. They smell the same to me. But the opening act is not quite as potent in the current version which imo is not necessarily a bad thing as the opening can be pungent. Sillage is decent enough but nowhere near obnoxious levels. Longevity is excellent; easily 8-10 hrs on my skin.

But they butchered the original Loewe para Hombre with an insipid reformulation. I really think I should make an exception & get some backup Esencia before it meets the same fate.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I once did a comparison the vintage & the current. They smell the same to me. But the opening act is not quite as potent in the current version which imo is not necessarily a bad thing as the opening can be pungent. Sillage is decent enough but nowhere near obnoxious levels. Longevity is excellent; easily 8-10 hrs on my skin.

But they butchered the original Loewe para Hombre with an insipid reformulation. I really think I should make an exception & get some backup Esencia before it meets the same fate.
    After falling in love with a couple samples of Esencia Loewe I bought on eBay, I ordered a 150ml tester bottle from a different seller. I see now that I must've got one of each. The first spritz from the tester was really musty and totally unbalanced. I think there might have been some degradation just inside the spritzer tube. A few sprays later, and it is definitely improved. I suspect I've gotten a bottle of the vintage -- it seems deeper and darker, mossier. I must say I prefer the brighter new formulation's opening, but I was very disappointed with its longevity.

At first I was crestfallen, but now that I've gotten the real juice, I'm starting to get more excited that it "solves" the longevity issue! I just spritzed a handkerchief with my new tester and it smells great! The citrus is louder, the herbs more muted, and the florals are less pronounced, while the moss is very dominant. I had no idea it had been reformulated!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    If you have had the luck of testing Esencia, would please give me your honest opinion?
    I personally didn't care for it.

It's old school for sure. So if that fits what you desire, then I'd say it is THAT good. For that old school style, it sure is a great one. But for the 21st century, it's about as dated as all of the other 80's fougere's/chypre's.

Dependent

Hey The_Cologneist, I haven't come across anything else that really resembles Esencia Loewe, which I LOVE. Can you recommend something similar?

Personally I didnt like it either.
    Smellin good

No.

I am in mexico at the moment and have the opportunity to buy Escencia. I really like it but for some reason it didnt hold too well on my wrists. Actually nothing does. I should have tried it on my arm hairs instead.

There was mention of longevity issues with the reformulations. Anyone having trouble with this ?

I get a POR LUI vibe with this minus the caraway seeds. Does anyone else feel the same way ?

It goes for roughly 100 US here.

Also a little concerned about longevity. Could depreciators say why they didn't care for it? Too old fashioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Also a little concerned about longevity. Could depreciators say why they didn't care for it? Too old fashioned?
    It's basically a creamy version of the old Polo Green but with a Mediterranean flare. You can even say the LATIN version of Polo Green.

It really is a wonderful fragrance but it had very limited staying power for such a well developed and dense fragrance. In that sense it was very misleading. If you can sample it before buying a bottle do so. I ditched my bottle because it was too frustrating going through the highs and lows.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    It's basically a creamy version of the old Polo Green but with a Mediterranean flare. You can even say the LATIN version of Polo Green.

It really is a wonderful fragrance but it had very limited staying power for such a well developed and dense fragrance. In that sense it was very misleading. If you can sample it before buying a bottle do so. I ditched my bottle because it was too frustrating going through the highs and lows.
    Thanks. I think I will resist temptation for now.

Esencia is One of the best in my collection
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Thanks. I think I will resist temptation for now.
    You shouldn't.

It's an incredibly good fragrance, I get decent longevity out of it, one of my most complimented fragrances and it is very inexpensive.

I hate this stuff, so old fashioned smelling

Dependent

While it does move to the base accord relatively fast (3 hours), the base accord projects well and lasts at least 8 hours; however, it's dominated by musk, which many cannot detect.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    I hate this stuff, so old fashioned smelling
    Hardly surprising considering you have a preference for loud and sweet stuff like A*Men and Le Male. Esencia is on the opposite spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Hardly surprising considering you have a preference for loud and sweet stuff like A*Men and Le Male. Esencia is on the opposite spectrum.

I hate with passion Le Male and A*men, so Esencia should be right up my alley LOL
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Wearing this today to give it another go. It's a decent fragrance, but I already have a couple summer classic style fragrances. Considering it's not easy to find and it's kind of pricey I'm going to pass on it.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Sound Scents

I know most love it, but it just wasn't to my taste even though based on the notes it really should have been.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

If it's similar to Polo, I will definitively test this when I get the chance. Sounds exciting!

Dependent

There's quite a big dose of 80s musk in this . . . the drydown is actually powerful imo. Some may be anosmic.

Top notes are very nice, dry down lovely too, but I don't see why it gets compared to Polo that much. It's sweeter, kinda fizzy, smoother. I've only tried it once yet but I'd almost say it reminds me more of something like Versace L'Homme (not that they smell alike, mind), slightly, sweet, almost powdery. Will have to try a bit more though. Projects well at first but longevity doesn't seem that great which frankly leads me to believe this is one blind purchase I could have avoided. Oh well.

Nice scent though.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 13th December 2013 at 04:31 PM.

Any new thoughts on this one. Sounds intriguing and is this better than the polo green?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Reading this older thread, I see I have commented on 2 separate occasions. Once before trying it, once after; but neither acknowledging what an amazing fragrance this is. I only have a small little mini bottle, which I paid about 10 bucks for, I would love to get my hands on like a 1.7 or 3.4 oz for a reasonable price (I think 5.1 oz is just too much). To me, Esencia tops the majority of the fragrances made in the 80's, granted it was brought out in 88, which seems a little bit late for how it smells. Just a fair heads up, just because you see a fragrance like this getting such rave reviews, doesn't mean everybody will love it. If you're into aquatics, gourmands and such, and dislike stuff like Polo, Quorum, or other old school powerhouse pine fragrances, you probably won't like this. Esencia's dry down is certainly as good as it gets, there's nothing quite like it.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

This sounds incredible. I haven't made a blind purchase in forever, but this sounds worth a gamble.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    This sounds incredible. I haven't made a blind purchase in forever, but this sounds worth a gamble.
    Fragnet may still have samples, I know you can get them off ebay too. Better to spend like 5 bucks for a sample and not like it than at least 50+. Although I'm pretty positive if you dislike it, you'll have no problem selling or swapping it in the marketplace.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Plus

I am so glad I bought a mini sample from Fragrancenet. Nice quality juice for sure just not my cup of tea.

Dependent

Two and a half years later and I'm still wearing it. It's the most "me" juice out there. Simple and easy to wear, but with exquisite balance.

I like it much, much better than Polo. You have to like musk to like Esencia though, big creamy 80s musk.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Two and a half years later and I'm still wearing it. It's the most "me" juice out there. Simple and easy to wear, but with exquisite balance.

I like it much, much better than Polo. You have to like musk to like Esencia though, big creamy 80s musk.
    That's weird because I really don't like musk, more so in the expensive niche brands, they tend to smell too animallic.. but ya.. Esencia's dry down is very very musky, I agree.. but it still works out well.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I remember the musk to be clean and quite pleasant, also it sweetens a bit, which I found a little inappropriate.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 1st February 2014 at 11:14 AM.

Dependent

Agree with you guys that Esencia's musk accord is clean, sweet and crisp rather than animalic.

I concur with that as well. I also get like an ambery vibe in the dry down, maybe without the sweetness of amber.. almost like a beeswax type smell, hard to explain.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)