Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default PoaL & Tobacco Rose Comparisons?

I'm trying out a new decant of Papillon Artisan Perfumes' Tobacco Rose tonight, and the very first thing that comes to mind is Malle's Portrait of a Lady.

I don't see many notes in the listed pyramids that cross over between them, but the outstanding accords in both for me are the Rose and Patch. The rest are just kind of there, supporting I guess.

Has anyone else worn both of these? And can you offer any observations about how these two may or may not compare? I'd be especially interested in Drseid's feedback, knowing that he's an aficionado of PoaL

If I didn't have something else on my other arm, I'd run spritz PoaL on so I could make the direct comparison myself.

Sound Scents

Default Re: PoaL & Tobacco Rose Comparisons?

I have never smelled Tobacco Rose, so at the moment I'm afraid I can't offer much of an opinion other than like you said, the published notes seem dissimilar except the rose. That said, I mean to rectify that and have just ordered a sample of TR a minute ago. Once I have sniffed it I will report back...

As an aside, so far the closest I have sniffed to PoaL is Le Parfum Denis Durand Couture by Micallef which while different, has a similar "vibe" to it and is a tremendous composition in its own right...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I tried Tobacco Rose and didn't make that connection but no longer have the sample to check.
    The base of TR was most certainly quite different to POAL, from memory, but that's the only bit that I can remember about it.
    Last edited by lpp; 22nd August 2014 at 08:40 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I haven't tried Tobacco Rose, but I thought I'd make the following observation about POAL, having just got a sample and gone totally bonkers over it. Both myself and my wife love it!! (My bank manager judges you Mr Ropion!!! Why do your scents have to be this good????)

POAL has many notes listed, but reviewers all over seem to disagree on the notes. I for one don't smell oud, neither is it listed, but the patchouli-rose effect creates the illusion of it. I can definitely see why some people may associate it with tobacco notes, but the way POAL is stitched together is really quite unique.

Waiting on my sample of Tobacco Rose, but just wanted to add my agreement with drseid that Denis Durand Couture is a wonderful scent and very underrated for some reason.

Sound Scents

My sample of Tobacco Rose just arrived today. Just coincidence, but PoaL is my scent of the day so I am able to do an early side-by-side comparison now that I applied a bit of the Tobacco Rose sample to my other wrist... On first glance the jammy rose note coupled with patchouli does give off a similar vibe... The rose is less dense and rich with TR, but the fragrance profile is similar to a degree early. That said, the compositions go in different directions after that initial similarity with Tobacco Rose adding in a (surprise) fine tobacco-like note to the composition while PoaL continues along its incense, patchouli and ambroxan driven development.

I am really enjoying Tobacco Rose. No, it is nowhere near as appealing as PoaL and in the end relatively dissimilar after the initial relatively similar open... But the composition is very nicely done, and the tobacco (at least so far) is used in a way that comes off as very natural while not detracting from the more prominent jammy rose. I will have to explore this one more thoroughly in the near future as it may very well prove purchase-worthy. Who would have thought tobacco (or at least its approximation) and rose could coexist so harmoniously? Impressive!

edit: As time passes and TR continues its development I think there is just a touch of powdery oakmoss in here. It is not showing its mossy green facet as usual, but the powdery side is surely there. Still enjoying this quite a bit...

Edit 2: Uh oh... There is something quite powdery in the base coming through now that is starting to obscure everything else but the rose... This part is less desirable. Still like the composition on the whole, but my purchase desire is flagging.
    Last edited by drseid; 25th August 2014 at 10:52 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks much for the insightful input gents. Drseid, appreciate your chipping in on this thread as well, I knew you'd have many miles with PoaL to offer some empirical evidence to the discussion.

I agree that as the two get further into their development, they diverge more. The similarity was pretty striking for me when I first put on TR, but I think less so a couple of hours later.

I do like Tobacco Rose, I'm looking forward to getting a few wearings in during this Fall. This discussion also stokes my impulse to finally get some more PoaL, I've never convinced myself to pull the trigger on a FB. I know there's at least 1 split being done now, maybe I'll meet in the middle and get a decent sized split at least

Thx!