Code of Conduct

Default Okay, so Kilian charges $100 JUST for the bottle/box/packaging ?!

I was checking out Kilian frags this weekend, and liked quite a few of them. In particular Back to Black was great, and I got some samples to take with me.

Upon researching where they are available and pricing etc. - it looks like the FRAGRANCE ITSELF, in form of 50ml refill bottle, is available for about $125.

Whereas if you buy the fragrance in the official Kilian's bottle/atomizer which comes in the little Kilian's box with the key lock (ooo ahhhh lol) you pay instead $100 MORE - around $225 total for the same 50ml of fragrance.

I mean:

A. Am I looking at this correctly?

B. If I like the fragrance so much, why the hell would I ever just blow an extra $100 for a bottle and a key box, when for $10 I can get any number of atomizer/containers and just buy the refill version of the frag and pour it in?!
    Last edited by fsface; 25th October 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Default Re: Okay, so Kilian charges $100 JUST for the bottle/box/packaging ?!

You are correct. And yes, it's hard to see why anyone would buy the bottles, but it used to be you could only get the refills after you bought your first bottle.

They could charge whatever they like for Back To Black and I would still buy it I pretty much love the entire line though

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    You are correct. And yes, it's hard to see why anyone would buy the bottles, but it used to be you could only get the refills after you bought your first bottle.
    And how did they control that, at the retail level?

Like if you go online to Saks or LuckyScent and just place an order for the refill, they would demand proof you have the actual 'bottle'. Like faxing them a receipt, or a picture of your bottle lol.

I don't get how that is controllable.

Also, I could see the upcharge for the bottle being justifiable if each bottle was some unique creation or work of art, but they ALL LOOK THE SAME. Is each KEY at least unique lol? So maybe you could lock your girlfriend out of accessing just certain fragrances.

On the other hand, if you look at a bottle like Bond No. 9 Brooklyn, which I'm about to buy, THAT bottle could be worth $100 based on it's unique design to the specific fragrance.

Buy a tester. they pop up on ebay for $100-$125 now and then. Kilian's testers include the same black caps as the full velvet box presentations do.

Don't get me started on ugly bottles. I don't mind paying well if the bottle is elegant. For $225, you get a wonderful scent and a nice bottle.

The new Guerlains have very ugly bottles and they still go for 230 USD.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I agree Primrose , beautiful presentation is part of the experience and should never be an after thought

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I agree Primrose , beautiful presentation is part of the experience and should never be an after thought
    NOT when you're getting blatantly ripped off.

I'll be ordering the refill bottle. In fact, they sell the travel set refills (a total of 1.0 oz of fragrance) for $70.

I think part of my whole point is I often see a lot of people complaining about the price of By Kilian's line here and on other boards. Well you can score an ounce of just about anything they make for $70. Not so bad.
    Last edited by fsface; 25th October 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    I was checking out Kilian frags this weekend, and liked quite a few of them. In particular Back to Black was great, and I got some samples to take with me.

Upon researching where they are available and pricing etc. - it looks like the FRAGRANCE ITSELF, in form of 50ml refill bottle, is available for about $125.

Whereas if you buy the fragrance in the official Kilian's bottle/atomizer which comes in the little Kilian's box with the key lock (ooo ahhhh lol) you pay instead $100 MORE - around $225 total for the same 50ml of fragrance.

I mean:

A. Am I looking at this correctly?

B. If I like the fragrance so much, why the hell would I ever just blow an extra $100 for a bottle and a key box, when for $10 I can get any number of atomizer/containers and just buy the refill version of the frag and pour it in?!

The refills are a total of 1 ounce for $135. The 'traditional' bottle is 1.7 ounces for $225. Almost 75% more juice.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    The refills are a total of 1 ounce for $135. The 'traditional' bottle is 1.7 ounces for $225. Almost 75% more juice.
    They sell 1.7 oz refills for $125.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    They sell 1.7 oz refills for $125.
    Where? Where? Where?

Sur la Plage

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Oh baby, I've gone Straight to Heaven!

Dude, if you're in Beantown, just walk into Saks downtown and buy it. They sell the refills there including the ones for the travel sets. (At least I think I saw the refills there). I know for sure they have the travel sets with the travel atomizer, which incidentally THAT magic atomizer costs $50.

Dude, will do!

Strangely their travel sets cost less than their refills.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Strangely their travel sets cost less than their refills.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. That's why I ended up getting a 30ml travel refill of Back to Black instead of the 50ml. Oddly enough, the price per ml ended up being cheaper in the smaller size.

Killian is a brand that always left me in confusion for their price tag

anyway, is the box featuring his own signature in the bottle? I've seen some that have his signature at the bottle
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

Killian is a brand that always left me in confusion for their price tag

anyway, is the box featuring his own signature in the bottle? I've seen some that have his signature at the bottle
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

I like the fact that Kilian now offers just the refills, but I would definitely not say that they are blatantly ripping off anyone with the full priced bottles. Some people buy fragrances for the full effect..... the scent, the packaging, the mood, the art... etc. Kilian's presentations with the bottle and box are amazing. If I had a large collection of scents and a place to display them, then his stuff also doubles as a piece of art. I don't have a large collection, or display them, so my vault is in a box on a shelf and the bottle is on the shelf with the rest of my stuff. Either way, it's nice to now have the choice of buying the scent, or paying more for the scent and the art. Agonist is now selling their juice in "normal" bottles (almost the same size and shape as the Kilian bottles but without the extra flare) and the prices are now reasonable because you're not buying them with a $500 piece of art as the bottle. Granted, it's still nearly $200 for 50ml.... but today in fact I am wearing a sample of Onyx Pearl and its great. Never would have even tried it if they didn't have this new "cheaper" bottle option.

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    NOT when you're getting blatantly ripped off.

I'll be ordering the refill bottle. In fact, they sell the travel set refills (a total of 1.0 oz of fragrance) for $70.

I think part of my whole point is I often see a lot of people complaining about the price of By Kilian's line here and on other boards. Well you can score an ounce of just about anything they make for $70. Not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    Some people buy fragrances for the full effect..... the scent, the packaging, the mood, the art... etc.
    Very true

It always makes me laugh when people complain about Kilian prices , no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy it . Do or don't , just suck it up and quit bitching

It always makes me laugh when people complain about Kilian prices , no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy it . Do or don't , just suck it up and quit bitching

Or Bond No. 9, or Creed, or Montale, or Ferrari, or Tag Heuer, or...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I subscribe to the view that when you're buying fragrances like this, you're not just buying a smell, you're buying an experience.

Basenotes Plus

While the packaging is fantastic, I am more into the perfume. It is great Kilian offers refills at a substantial savings.

Can you imagine what it would be like if Amouage, Creed, Chanel, Guerlain, Mona di Orio, Xerjoff and Frederic Malle offered refills in plain bottles for $100 less?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Can you imagine what it would be like if Amouage, Creed, Chanel, Guerlain, Mona di Orio, Xerjoff and Frederic Malle offered refills in plain bottles for $100 less?
    I don't see why they offer refills on the first place. I don't think going through a 100ml bottle of Amouage is an easy job. Creed does 500ml flacon which is certainly cheaper per ml.

Xerjoff does discovery sets which work out cheaper per ml.

My point is if they are trying to be the ultra high end houses, why do this? Glad Amouage don't do this refill business.

In Netherlands I can get the 50ml refill for 85 euros. The box with bottle comes at 195 euros. The price difference is huge, but the box + bottle is stil attracts me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by AuxiliaryExit View Post
    In Netherlands I can get the 50ml refill for 85 euros. The box with bottle comes at 195 euros. The price difference is huge, but the box + bottle is stil attracts me the most.
    I sure went for the whole thing. If you empty the bottle you can buy the refill. Great!

Would like to know if a refill bottle come with spray?

Quote Originally Posted by delfa View Post
    Actually it wouldn't make sense

Refills come with 50ml of juice, a 10ml atomizer (empty) and a metal funnel for decanting.

It always makes me laugh when people complain about opinions , no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read it . Do or don't , just suck it up and quit bitching
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    I subscribe to the view that when you're buying fragrances like this, you're not just buying a smell, you're buying an experience.
    I agree....just bought my first split....a tom ford private blend.....i'd say not having the original bottle does diminish the experience around 25% or so.....but im willing to admit its all in my mind.

The travel kits are the best buy, I don't think the box is that special.

This is the same argument of food truck versus a nice restaurant. You can get great food from a food truck, but you'll be eating standing up, with plastic utensils, and a paper plate; attempting to balance everything in one hand while shoveling the food in with the other. Instead, I prefer the whole package. It starts with excellent cuisine, but I also want an attractive restaurant with excellent service. Just like my dining example, the fragrance has to be top flight first and foremost, but it is a total experience for me.

Your example lists some specific disadvantages and difficulties. Is there anything about a cheaper atomizer that makes it harder to use? How about two restaurants, one with stainless flatware and the other with silver.

I ordered one of the refills and I did not receive an atomizer with it. They did send a small funnel with the refill bottle though. I had to decant the perfume into a spray atomizer bottle but I also was able to relocate the label from the refill bottle to my new spray bottle which helps keep the identity of it all clearer. This is an ok way to save money, but I still prefer the original bottle no matter the cost, which I have in a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomaniac View Post
    Your example lists some specific disadvantages and difficulties. Is there anything about a cheaper atomizer that makes it harder to use? How about two restaurants, one with stainless flatware and the other with silver.
    Flatware goes directly to the overall dining experience.

I don't like doing this. I feel like I didn't even buy anything at that point. Just a jar of liquid that smells good.

The refills are nice if you buy the full set once and want to replenish.

At least get the travel set with the nice atomizer.

OOPS!! Wrong thread!!! Sorry about that!
    Last edited by FISS80; 25th August 2014 at 11:35 PM.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

Quote Originally Posted by delfa View Post
    My Straight to Heaven refill pack came with a funnel, an empty atomiser with spray attachment and a longer spray attachment to be used with the refill bottle itself. I bought it about 6 weeks ago from Kilian.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticatedscent View Post
    Flatware goes directly to the overall dining experience.
    Well... yeah... that was exactly my point. The difference between no table, no chair, no walls, and no ceiling while eating at a food truck is different from eating in a very nice restaurant. Fragrance in a leaky ziploc bag might be a better analogy to that. A serviceable but unadorned bottle and atomizer head with a flimsy clear plastic cap is like a plain dining area in a simple restaurant. You can add embellishment to the basic functionality, but you first have to have the basic functionality.

Basenotes Plus

Kilian packaging is a first class affair, I purchased their travel atomisers and they're beautiful and functional. Wish I could get as excited about their fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomaniac View Post
    Well... yeah... that was exactly my point. The difference between no table, no chair, no walls, and no ceiling while eating at a food truck is different from eating in a very nice restaurant. Fragrance in a leaky ziploc bag might be a better analogy to that. A serviceable but unadorned bottle and atomizer head with a flimsy clear plastic cap is like a plain dining area in a simple restaurant. You can add embellishment to the basic functionality, but you first have to have the basic functionality.
    Bottom line for me is that since I like the complete package and don't mind paying for it, that is generally what I opt for. I initially said the most important single issue with a fragrance is how it smells, but it doesn't have to stop there. Fragrances are an inexpensive indulgence when you look at the number of uses and years of enjoyment you get from a bottle of fragrance. My modest collection (compared to many on this forum) will last for many years, so I want to enjoy looking at my collection as well as smelling great.
    Last edited by sophisticatedscent; 26th August 2014 at 01:37 PM.

I just go with the refills.... I don't see the point in the extra money. I know others disagree.

Basenotes Plus

Some people are collectors of the whole package. Not just the juice. That is why many are so anal about not buying testers and if buying used it needs to have the box. For some who display their fragrances in curio cabinets its important to have a presentation. I actually dont mind that by kilian does this. Why? Because for people like you they offer the refills that you can just get the scent if that isnt important to you. And remember that just because a company doesnt offer to sell a dumbed down version of their wares doesnt mean your not paying for that bottle. They just arent nice like by Kilian and letting you have it both ways. Every perfume sold today has its packaging, marketing and advertisement (if any) worked into the price. I actually applaud them for letting people have a choice. They could be jerks and try to only sell the refills in store when you bring your bottle in to prove you bought one similar to how mugler does it with its "the source".

I NEVER buy full bottles of anything, samples and decants only.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-on-Holiday View Post
    I NEVER buy full bottles of anything, samples and decants only.
    That's probably a smart way of collecting fragrances.