Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Fall 1st Date Frag

So fall is finally in the air and I'm meeting up with a new girl for an evening of wine tasting and sushi. I'm looking for something to make a nice first impression of hey this guy smells great too!
    Here's the list of what I have that might fit the bill. (bear in mind I'm in my early 20s)
    Terre d'hermes
    Must de Cartier
    L'homme
    La nuit de l'homme
    M7
    Gucci I and II
    Tobacco vanille
    Burberry London
    Straight to Heaven

Your input's appreciated

Default Re: Fall 1st Date Frag

i would pick, london, tabacco vanille, m7, or la nuit. But some may not like m7 or strongly against tobacco and some people find la nuit very short lived so i would probably pick london. But honestly if i were in your situation, i'd go bold and go TV ;]

You know what? If you dont have the confidence to choose a fragrance by yourself, then you shouldnt go on a date. :P

la nuit or london. flip a coin.

Go with one of the lighter ones (G2, either l'homme, etc). Eating sushi while wearing a dark, brooding oriental sounds dissonant to me. Match your scent with the mood you are trying to create.

that said. . .

basenotes stock tip #6: Wear whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy.

Tobacco Vanille

From that list, its either London or La Nuit de L'homme for sure. I really really really cannot choose between the too. Like someone else said, flip a coin.

but actually, ill say it like this: If you want to smell sexy and seductive, go with La Nuit. If you want to smell like someone who is warm and cozy and u want to make her just want to really cuddle and get close, go with Burberry London
    My Current Fab Five Fragrances:
    1) Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    2) YSL La Nuit De L'homme
    3) Acqua Di Gio Profumo
    4) Valentino Uomo Intense
    5) Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Male

wow what a great collection.

The straight to heaven is a good one (main note is rum - you will kinda suit the occasion).

I guess you would want to go with something nice but not too project(ile?) as you dont wana suffocate the girl. She may have enhanced nostrils (haha its true).

I would suggest Terre d'Hermes

Depends on how seriously you (and others) are taking the wine tasting.
    Arguably, wearing anything could interfere with your nose as well as others'.
    But given you're posting this on Basenotes and not winebuff.com (or whatever), then I'd echo Big_Scooter: Something light, definately not Tobacco Vanille or Straight to Heaven.
    Have fun!

Pick something sweet =]

If I went on a first date, I'd pick a scent that I enjoy wearing that would fit the mood, location, weather and my attire. I think of first dates as an opportunity to show someone a bit of who you are. So pick something you like and just go with it.
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    You know what? If you dont have the confidence to choose a fragrance by yourself, then you shouldnt go on a date. :P
    Dont wanna help ? Dont post.

@OP: I reckon Tobacco Vanille would be a good choice. Sweet (enough) and warm (enough). Hope this helps.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Dont wanna help ? Dont post.
    Well well... What do you know? It's one of the internet badasses.

Basenotes Institution

Gucci II
    Last edited by petruccijc; 26th October 2010 at 12:32 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well well... What do you know? It's one of the internet badasses.
    Im just trying to preserve the real basenotes spirit. You dont have the status to judge original poster, or me. Who do u think u are?

If you dont want to help, stay away, and save some space.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Im just trying to preserve the real basenotes spirit. You dont have the status to judge original poster, or me. Who do u think u are?

If you dont want to help, stay away, and save some space.
    And what makes you think that YOU have the status to judge me? Because you got 5 stars on your profile? Please...

Ok GENTS.... squash the childs play.

I would go for Tobacco Vanille, not so much for the scent but for the memories it might start for her. She'll recognise the scent long after your first date, thus, remember you.

And what makes you think that YOU have the status to judge me? Because you got 5 stars on your profile? Please...
    Hej Siifter,
    The original poster (who has been a BN member far longer than you or I) was simply seeking some constructive advice on what he should wear on his date (a nerve-wracking experience!). Remember, it is only a few weeks ago that you yourself were starting many threads of the type ' Is this perfume too feminine for a man to wear?'. You wanted people's opinions, just like Ballplayer7373 does.
    Ohmygod was simply drawing attention to the fact that comments such as
    "You know what? If you dont have the confidence to choose a fragrance by yourself, then you shouldnt go on a date" are not helpful to the OP, and create friction on what is usually a very friendly forum.
    Let's all play nicely here

Honestly, I would go with the lightest frag possible for a wine tasting date. Much of the experience is sipping and smelling the "bouquet" of the wine and I wouldn't advise wearing something heavy that could get in the way of that. Most of the frags you listed are heavy hitter so out of that list, I would go with L'Homme or La Nuit. DEFINITELY not Burberry London as it smells like wine itself!

DeepSilence

La Nuit
    M7
    L'Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Go with one of the lighter ones (G2, either l'homme, etc). Eating sushi while wearing a dark, brooding oriental sounds dissonant to me. Match your scent with the mood you are trying to create.

that said. . .

basenotes stock tip #6: Wear whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy.
    You bring up an interesting point. Can cologne get in the way of enjoying a light dinner like sushi versus eating something like a steak?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Go with one of the lighter ones (G2, either l'homme, etc). Eating sushi while wearing a dark, brooding oriental sounds dissonant to me.
    Exactly. A strong fragrance does not go well with sushi. And if she's serious about the wine -- and the wine's typically served with sushi are the more delicately-scented --, she will not appreciate a strong interfering fragrance wafting from you.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Burberry London

Great choices...You could use a light application of Straight to Heaven or Tobacco Vanille, or I would go with Nuit de L'homme. The most important thing, though, is wearing something that you feel very comfortable and natural in...it's better if you just forget about the fragrance you're wearing once you're on the date.

Thanks for ALL of the input, you bring up some good points.

Tobacco Vanille. No one else will smell like you.

Blog Entries

I'd go with the Kilian or TV, as well.
    Sweet, sensual frags that your date probably wont smell very often
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Tobacco Vanille. No one else will smell like you.
    I agree with this....but I think the same could be said of M7

On the other hand, I think Gucci PH II is a little safer. If it were me, I would wear what I liked best....from your list, overall it would be (for me) Must de Cartier. Not knowing where you live (weather) I would go with GPH2 if it was warmer

Wine tasting & sushi? Sounds like it'll be an awesome first date! I say La Nuit De L'Homme...if you'd like something lighter, go with L'Homme. You'll smell great either way.

With a first date, you don't want to take too many chances because you likely don't know what the girl likes and dislikes. Gucci II would be a good choice as it's very inoffensive, certainly not overpowering, and classy. The problem with some of the others listed is that they some may dislike that type of frag. For instance, she may not be into spicy, woody, and boozy scents thus London would be an atrocious choice. Either of the L'homme's probably would also work as well.