Code of Conduct

Default MKK musk vs. L'Ombre Fauve musk

I'm wondering how the musk note in Lutens' MKK compares with that in PG's L'Ombre Fauve. Do you find one more animalic than the other? More natural smelling? Dirtier / cleaner?
    I haven't sniffed L'Ombre Fauve yet, but hope to grab a sample in the next week or so. In the meantime, I'd love to hear other members' thoughts.
    Thanks!

Default Re: MKK musk vs. L'Ombre Fauve musk

Last edited by Pour_Monsieur; 27th October 2010 at 02:36 PM.

L'Ombre Fauve is more of an amber-patchouli scent than a musk scent like MKK is. MKK is more animalic up-front then quiets down to something pretty tame; L'Ombre Fauve is smoothly animalic top to bottom. They're very different fragrances.

I'll second Sugandaraja's descriptions; LO'F leans heavily on its patchouli content. That dirty scalp note, which I believe is costus, is more blended in MKK. L'OF lacks a pronounced spiciness. As far as longevity goes, MKK outlasts LO'F by a lifetime. I'd also say that MKK generates heat, while L'OF seems to cool things down. I love both.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th October 2010 at 01:40 PM.

Yes - MKK is definitely the stronger of the two. I find L'Ombre on the quiet side for an amber.

my vote too on MKK's apparent sillage and strength. both in a way share the same DNA and could be clubbed into the same genre.. but, at the same time, i would second what sugandraja said. thats pretty much it.

Thanks guys - those are very helpful comments. I really appreciate your input.

To me MKK, is more of a musk scent. With L'Ombre, the musk is there, but not as big a player as the amber.

L'Ombre Fauve is more Amber-patchouli based, or at least I'd say they're equally as strong as the musk. Basically it's an animalic musk, wrapped in an ambery aura, with patchouli base that's present throughout the fragrance life. I'd say despite it being amber+musk mainly, I keep focusing on the patchouli when I smell it. It's still a more animalic fragrance all around. However I think as a straight up musk MKK is better, it's all around animalic and comforting without the patchouli note intruding. I also have to warn you L'Ombre Fauve has no longevity, at least not on me, the animalic notes last very lightly for 2-3 hours, then it's another 1-2 of a very light sweet airy patchouli drydown.

I get the sense longevity for L'Ombre Fauve is less than spectacular. I'm still keen to try it though.
    I'm on something of a musk kick at the moment. As I near the end of my MKK sample, I'm curious to see how other musky scents compare.
    Reading descriptions of L'Ombre Fauve being like 'dead fox' etc got me excited, but it seems these might be rather hyperbolic.
    Thanks again people!

Have you tried the all so popular Musc Ravageur? What about Tom Fords Musk line? Urban musk is very musky, though not a big fan of the musk line myself. I'd consider MKK and Musk Ravageur to be my favorites in western perfumery. Of course if you're looking for a note like musk, I'm sure middle eastern perfumes offer more and better variety, but I'm not expert.

Narciso Rodriguez has a lot of musk fragrance, but personally while I enjoy a couple of them, they don't have that animalic vibe you might be looking for, they're more of clean fresh soapy musks. Still worth looking into.

For dead fox, I recommend Ajmal's Musk Gazelle, in the newer formulation. Really, you won't find something more dead-animal than that, though I've heard similar things about Auguste's Esprit de Cuir.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    For dead fox, I recommend Ajmal's Musk Gazelle, in the newer formulation. Really, you won't find something more dead-animal than that, though I've heard similar things about Auguste's Esprit de Cuir.
    Ooh, now you've piqued my interest - two more scents to track down.

Thanks also Ekove for your suggestions - Musc Ravageur I already own (yes, I really should get 'round to listing my fragrances in my wardrobe). I like it, but the musk is rather tame to my nose.I tried Tom Ford's Urban Musk a few months back, but only on a card. I should probably aim to do a proper skin test.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Ooh, now you've piqued my interest - two more scents to track down.

Thanks also Ekove for your suggestions - Musc Ravageur I already own (yes, I really should get 'round to listing my fragrances in my wardrobe). I like it, but the musk is rather tame to my nose.I tried Tom Ford's Urban Musk a few months back, but only on a card. I should probably aim to do a proper skin test.
    I did not enjoy Urban Musk myself. But it does smell very straight up musky, I found it boring and at the same not easy to wear. Maybe you'll like it though.

I am wearing a sample of MKK today. I received it yesterday from Lutens. I don't get the sillage and longevity at all. It lasted about 20 minutes. It was fairly strong and animalic at the start. My initial thought was this smells (almost literally) like sex, but it softened even before I left the house. It was gone shortly thereafter. I have been actively sniffing at my wrists to see if I can get a whiff of it, but....nothing.
    L'Ombre Fauve, on me lasts all day and does have some pretty good sillage. I don't find it particularly musky, it is softened by the amber and (to my nose) incense. Some say there is a fur note to it. I am not sure what that means, but I do not find this animalic at all. To my nose and on me, this is a much more pleasant scent.
    I am new to the world of scents, but since I just sampled both of these I thought I would offer my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I get the sense longevity for L'Ombre Fauve is less than spectacular. I'm still keen to try it though.
    I'm on something of a musk kick at the moment. As I near the end of my MKK sample, I'm curious to see how other musky scents compare.
    Reading descriptions of L'Ombre Fauve being like 'dead fox' etc got me excited, but it seems these might be rather hyperbolic.
    Thanks again people!
    L'Ombre Fauve is no slouch in the longevity department. It does have a bit of an animal fur note...I don't know if I would characterize is as "dead fox."