Code of Conduct

Default Le Labo fragrance expiration dates

I'm REALLY close to purchasing Rose 31, but I am a bit concerned about the expiration dates ("fresh until...") associated with their fragrances. Anyone have experience with their bottles and can provide some insight on the overall longevity of their products? I usually buy larger bottles (in this case, 3.4 oz.), but would it be wiser to buy a 1.7 oz. considering this won't be a daily driver for me?
    The Lyor Cohen of Dior Homme, that's Dior Homme, not Dior homey

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Le Labo fragrance expiration dates

It's marketing B.S.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have a "fresh until" 6/6/2008 Tubereuse 40 that is still wonderful. Not even stored in a refrigerator, but in a cool, dark spot in the bedroom. Go for it and enjoy, but buy only what you think you might use over a specified period.

This was my issue when i bought Rose 31 in London in June this year. The lady at the Le Labo counter told me if its kept in a cool dark place it should last me beyond 2 years. She was very honest, she did say a large portion of it is to do with marketing, but the essential oils and ingredients used do mean it will 'expire' quicker than regular frags, i really dont know how true that is.... but i'll take her word for it.

But unless its gonna be an everyday, all the time scent, the 1.7fl (50ml) will do the trick. i never use 100ml of anything unless i use it all the time, and i never do with any of my frags.

Rose 31 does tend to change a little after a year once the oils settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    That is true..... i am getting a lot more pepper than rose than i used to.

True. It mellows a bit. The cedar "bite" isn't as strong. It's still great, although I must admit, I love the cedar bite.

Ah ok, good information. I was wondering what made their fragrances different than others (even niche fragrances) in that they don't have the same shelf life.

The more I think about it, I probably will use this more than I originally thought, if only because my nose is changing as I get into niche fragrances, and the fact that I don't want to be dumb. I mean, if I don't use all of a $70 bottle of cologne, no big deal. But I just bought a $250 of Amouage Reflection Man, a $140 bottle of Musc Ravageur, I'm about to buy a $270 bottle of Green Irish Tweed, and when I get this, it'll be another $200. I want to use every last drop in these bottles! So, these will probably be used more often.

Do you think that's what they mean by "fresh until", that the fragrance is guaranteed to smell as purchased for a year, then it may change?

Quote Originally Posted by nickyplat View Post
    Do you think that's what they mean by "fresh until", that the fragrance is guaranteed to smell as purchased for a year, then it may change?
    Just keep it cool and dark and any change should be minimal. As a side note, all 3 orders of Rose 31 I made smelled differently. Each one had more prominent notes - one was Sandalwood heavy, one had strong dark dusty rose, one had a magnificent Cedar prominence. I guess it makes some sense - it's a guy/gal with a beaker and some alcohol hand mixing it every time for each order.

I have a 2 year old bottle and it's quite nice. Mellowed and blended a tad over time.

And I have a bit left of a 15ml that's 16 months old that's still going strong - identical to day 1.

Get the 50ml if you have any concern. That'll be enough for a year easily. The 15ml one I bought was the strongest. Not a great deal, but the juice was so good that it justified it for me.
    Last edited by adonis; 28th October 2010 at 02:32 AM.

This was my experience as well.

nickyplat: Le Labo is a bit on the "gimmicky" side. You'd be ordering it by mail I'm guessing.

If you go into one of their boutiques, or stores that carry them, there are no "ready to sell" bottles. They mix it for you, put it in a bottle, seal on the atomizer and make a customized label for you. It's a kind of fun experience I must admit.

The general feeling I have is that as long as they're making you a custom label, why not put an expiration date on it to drive you into buying a fresh one. Don't get stuck on it. It's bunk.

As a side opinion, if you're like the many of us in here who have many frags, I would advocate the smaller bottle (with all scents, not just Le Labo). Yes, it costs you more per ml, but my collection is modest by some standards in here and I already have enough that I couldn't use them all before I die. In just over a year here, I haven't depleted a single bottle of anything- 50ml or 100ml.

I hear you Stylin, that may be the direction I go from here on out. I've purchased A LOT in the past year, and I'm finding the things I bought earlier in the year, when I was starting to get serious about this "hobby", I don't even want to wear now. Part of it I attribute to my nose developing, and part of it I think is just sampling new things. Every week it seems I come across something new and interesting. Having sites like luckyscent and perfumed court isn't helping either lol

You sound like a Basenoter nickyplat.

Thanks, and my bank account definitely agrees with you.

As a side opinion, if you're like the many of us in here who have many frags, I would advocate the smaller bottle (with all scents, not just Le Labo). Yes, it costs you more per ml, but my collection is modest by some standards in here and I already have enough that I couldn't use them all before I die. In just over a year here, I haven't depleted a single bottle of anything- 50ml or 100ml.
    so very, very true........