Code of Conduct

Default Name a fragrance that whenever you smell, brings back good, or bad memories

Have any of you ever smelt a fragrance, and it reminded you of a good or bad memory? When ever I smell Paris by Yves Saint Laurent it reminds me of my mother who has been wearing it since it came out. What about you?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Name a fragrance that whenever you smell, brings back good, or bad memories

Prince Matchbilli windsong my mother used to wear this

Default Re: Name a fragrance that whenever you smell, brings back good, or bad memories

Kouros. Reminds me of my honeymoon in Mauritius.
    my emptiness has built your altar
    and i've worshipped myself in you forever

+Live+, TOP, Throwing Copper

Eau Sauavage, vintage Anateus and vintage Guerlain Vetiver, Armani Eau pour Homme all remind me of the age when I started to discover fragrances

Dunhill Edition reminds me of my ex... we both wore it for years.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Tabu and Ambush: My great aunt Betty wore them to cover BO.
    Bellodgia: When I was little, any package filled with goodies sent by my grandmother always smelled of Bellodgia. I keep a bottle on my dresser, not to wear but to sniff for pleasure.
    I can't even begin to talk about my complicated memories of Shalimar.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Tabu and Ambush: My great aunt Betty wore them to cover BO.
    Bellodgia: When I was little, any package filled with goodies sent by my grandmother always smelled of Bellodgia. I keep a bottle on my dresser, not to wear but to sniff for pleasure.
    I can't even begin to talk about my complicated memories of Shalimar.
    Love these!

Quote Originally Posted by Chypriot View Post
    Kouros. Reminds me of my honeymoon in Mauritius.
    My father wore this one too for many years. Great fragrance.

Patchouli oil = reminds me of college
    Chloe - my mother
    Youth Dew - first serious love affair
    Obsession - my marriage
    Jicky - a wonderful trip to France in 2000
    Aramis - my father in law
    So many, won't clog up the post!

reine

Eau Sauvage for me as well. 1984. Just starting to appreciate scents. my first love who wore it. living in a new city. My first trip to Paris as well that year. I think Air France used Carven products in their aircraft. Paris. the sewers, the baguettes, Gauloise cigarettes, Eau Sauvage and Carven products. Nothing but good memories.

Bad memories: Tabu reminds me of my mother, her cigarettes and booze. Was not pretty. Such is life. i remember that odd shaped bottle with that sort of 'rubber' feel to it. black and shiny goldish. But on the flipside, I remember being a teen and going off to I. Magnin and buying the c h e a p e s t bottle of Chanel No. 5 I could find [eau de toilette] for Christmas because she liked it and it didn't remind me of Tabu for a moment.

I recently picked up a purse spray of L'Air du Temps in parfum, pre-reformulation, and wearing it felt like having the ghost of my early childhood haunting my left wrist. It is intensely familiar, and brings with it a sense of longing, wistfulness and the unavoidable passing of time, but I cannot for the life of me figure out who wore it - I think I have ruled out all my female relatives except my paternal grandmother, who seems unlikely for various reasons, and my maternal grandmother's youngest aunt, who died when I was seven. Marvellous, unsettling experience.

Dior Homme and Eau Noire tug at my heartstrings too, both for the same reason, but since I enjoy and appreciate both fragrances so much I try my hardest to fill them with different meanings.

Old spice, was the first cologne I wore. When I smell it now it takes me back to that exact day, the day I got my first scent complement, the first day I felt I was growing up; wonderful.

Brut, I can't stand the smell. When I smell it all I can remember is a guy I worked with who use to use it to cover up his BO, yuck. BO & Brut not a good combination.

It is impossible for me to think of cologne without the memories that are connected to it.
    Old Spice reminds me of my grandfather who wore it religiously everyday.
    Azzaro pour Homme reminds me of my father's shaving cream.
    Drakkar Noir reminds me of my Uncle and early morning trips to my grandmother.
    Magie Noire reminds me of my mother and her dresser.
    White Diamonds is family reunions.
    John Varvatos is concerts.
    Michael Kors is Disneyland at 20 degrees.

What us most disconcerting are the scents that I recognize but cannot tie to a particular memory.

Mitsouko: my ex gf wore this. It still reminds me of our happy times. Her whole house has a very nice cherry blossom tinge.

fountain

brut 33/bittersweet mem'ry

Perry Ellis 360 always reminds me of my mother. Drakkar Noir reminds me of my evil elementary school principle.

Bad Memories: Those older Ralph Lauren men's scents... my mother's criminally nightmare of an ex boyfriend wore these.
    Tommy Girl and Clinique Happy... obnoxious girls in school used to wear these.

Happy Memories: Fracas... happy, simpler times as a little girl.
    Lancome Hypnose... I used to wear this when I went out clubbing in France. It somehow "worked" with the stench of secondhand smoke at the end of the night, so I wore it as a buffer.
    CK One... the 90s ^^

Eau Sauvage: Love it but can't wear; reminds me too much of my father
    Bal a Versailles: The scent I most associate with my mother and brings back memories of our old house. Same goes for Je Reviens Worth, Cabochard and Silences (I miss that one!)
    A*Men: This is my most nostalgic scent. I was a kid when I first purchased it and I remember I saved money for God knows how long until I was able to purchase it. I wore it exclusively for many years. Love it and cannot imagine being without it. I sometimes spritz right before bed.
    Anateus: Wore it during my middle-school years (presumably to assert my entering into puberty LOL) Love it and recently purchased the shower gel.
    Black Orchid: I first fell in love with it just right before entering the madness that is Basenotes! I wore it kinda exclusively.
    SDV, The Party, Cuir d'Iris, Une Fleur de Cassie and Amber Absolute: These all remind me of great times I had in the freezing winter nights of London.