Code of Conduct

Default alternative to l'artisan fou d'absinthe

hi

can anyone recommend a possible alternative to l'artisan's fou d'absinthe? my bottle is almost finished and i like it very much.. but although i really want to love it more, i was always hoping it were something just a little more.. maybe if it could have been slightly more bitter? or greener/herbal? stronger? or richer? just a little

i know it's an EDP and that it is considerably richer than most of the other l'artisans.. was just hoping it 'talked just a little bit louder' instead of kept whispering..

anyways any recommendations will be cool even if it doesnt really smell the same.. who knows, i might discover something in those..

cheers!!
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Re: alternative to l'artisan fou d'absinthe

I know what you are saying...I really liked it, but didn't quite LOVE it enough to buy a bottle.

Have you ever tried Burberry London. For some reason it reminded me of it....perhaps you will like that better?

I get a lot of pine with fou d'absinthe----Mugler B*Men has some of these notes and Polo Green, but Polo Green is sooo Polo Green. Yatagan is more of leathery/castoreum pine.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    I know what you are saying...I really liked it, but didn't quite LOVE it enough to buy a bottle.

Have you ever tried Burberry London. For some reason it reminded me of it....perhaps you will like that better?
    yup i have tried that before and i think you're right, it does have have a similar feel to fou.. for some reason, i didnt buy a bottle for myself though (although i gave one as a gift to a friend).. will have to revisit sometime.. thanks
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    I get a lot of pine with fou d'absinthe----Mugler B*Men has some of these notes and Polo Green, but Polo Green is sooo Polo Green. Yatagan is more of leathery/castoreum pine.
    i agree.. was reading the notes list of fou and though about polo green, but i though nah, polo green IS polo green..

hmm.. will have to retry b*men.. honestly dont remember how it smelled like as my mugler memory always gets overflown with angel & a*men accords :P

yatagan was also a choice.. though i have to check online further how i can get samples or orders.. there have been carons popping now and then in the thrift shops at our area but unfortunately yatagan has never shown up yet!!

thanks

As a big fan of Fou d'Absinthe, I'll second (or third or whatever we're up to) the recommendation of Yatagan. I'd also like to mention Mazzolari Mazzolari, which is another wonderful green fragrance. It's going to be my birthday present in a month or so. Yay.

Perhaps Absolument Absinthe

It doesn't smell remotely like FdA, but Creed's Baie de Genievre came to mind as a fragrance that someone who appreciates FdA might like. A bit of barbershop vibe, with BdG's juniper filling in for FdA's pine.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Off-Scenter

You might try Omnia Profumo Onice. It's a heavier, darker anise and conifer fougère than Fou d'Absinthe. See the reviews here.

Fou d'Absinthe is also a favourite of mine and I haven't found anything really similar.

As mentioned, I do think Mazzolari Mazzolari is worth checking out - it has a crisp green-ness about it that 'feels' similar.

The other one that might be worth a shot, altho very different in character, is Serge Lutens Filles en Aiguilles. The pine is the connection for me. Fille en Aiguilles is like the winter version of Fou somehow - warmer, drier, darker, inside the pine forest rather than standing on the edge of it . . . but somehow related.

I could be way out to lunch here, but IIRC one of the By Kilians, "A Taste of Heaven" has a strong absinthe note in there... I'm not sure where it may differ from that but you might find it's a cousin.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    ...The other one that might be worth a shot, altho very different in character, is Serge Lutens Filles en Aiguilles. The pine is the connection for me. Fille en Aiguilles is like the winter version of Fou somehow - warmer, drier, darker, inside the pine forest rather than standing on the edge of it . . . but somehow related.
    I agree

I think the closest to your description - similar but more bitter and herbal - would be: ELdO's Eloge du Traitre.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I think the closest to your description - similar but more bitter and herbal - would be: ELdO's Eloge du Traitre.
    Word +1
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree
    Me too - Fille en Aiguilles is worth a try!

Fille en Aiguilles does indeed have similarities.. so i guess it's the pine/pine-like accord that i am liking..
    im not sure if i 'love' the stewed fruits emanating from FEA though, i think i prefer FdA for now.. but anyway, it's a great start.. thanks guys

if you haven't already, try Amouage Memoir Man. There's the absinthe and the evergreen accords, and if anything, it's like a "My Fair Lady" transformation of Fou d'Absinthe. The l'Artisan was a bit too linear for me... but the Amouage whips it together better.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyboy View Post
    Fille en Aiguilles does indeed have similarities.. so i guess it's the pine/pine-like accord that i am liking..
    im not sure if i 'love' the stewed fruits emanating from FEA though, i think i prefer FdA for now.. but anyway, it's a great start.. thanks guys
    Please do keep us updated if you find what you're looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    if you haven't already, try Amouage Memoir Man. There's the absinthe and the evergreen accords, and if anything, it's like a "My Fair Lady" transformation of Fou d'Absinthe. The l'Artisan was a bit too linear for me... but the Amouage whips it together better.
    YES! The absinthe note about halfway through is very reminiscent to FdA. Not identical but similar.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Just another thought since you mentioned it 'doesn't have to smell the same'.

As a Fou fan I also like the Malle's Angelique Sous la Pluie (seeing mtg's name reminded me) and French Lover. They fall into the same slightly tart green area to me. Very keen to check out Eloge du Traitre and Onice after this discussion!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilyboy View Post
    If you like the pine in FeA then try the discontinued (but easy to find online) Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Please do keep us updated if you find what you're looking for!
    thanks much to all for the comments and suggestions..

will do!! am waiting for the f.malles to come here at our area.. should be around january 2011

just an addendum.. it seems it's not purely the pine accord i am in love with.. as i retried Polo Green and though i like it a lot ever since, the accord or combination of accords im looking for is not there.. so it's some sort of combination that is common between Fille en Aiguilles & fou d'absinthe that i'm targetting.. there is a mention in another site about a comparison of FEA & parfum d'empire's wazamba, so whether there is any similarity now between FDA & Wazamba or not, i'm also targetting to try Wazamba.. not sure if anyone is familiar with this or can give a brief comparison..

anyway, i have a lot of catching up and experimenting to do with the other brands suggested in this thread.. hope to post a follow up on this.. cheers!!

i was just reading Perfumes: The Guide and reading about this one and then they made a comment that jumped right into my memory. Of course, Paco Rabanne PH! It's got that green herbal sort of thing. No wormwood/anise, but there's another strong component to be found there...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads