Code of Conduct

Default Got started in fragrances with CREED and feel a bit spoiled...

I used to get cologne every once in awhile as gifts over the years and always had a great liking towards them. To me, it's more about how it makes me feel and the enjoyment I get out of a scent than the reactions I get. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into the bathroom and pulled the trigger on a few scents just to smell them again; Or spray a little bit on my pillow once in awhile to smell while I'm drifting off.

Now, I'm also the kind of guy who is always researching what is best before I spend my money on things.. I'm a bit of a quality snob, and it's unfortunate because I do not make the kind of money I should be making to be said quality snob.

Regardless, about 3 years ago I decided to go to my local Nieman Marcus and purchase a bottle of Green Irish Tweed after hearing so much about it, and I'm glad I did. I remember when I first smelled it I got a little light headed! It was intoxicating.

Unfortunately, this was my journey into the wonderful world of fragrances, and while I know there's tons of options out there, I find that other fragrances I've had in the past just don't give me that same feeling. I thought to myself, maybe it was the name, the fancy bottle, the tales that CREED spins about how it was made for King X or Lords of Time and Space.. But no. I would smell the fragrances again and they ARE in fact in a different league to me. And sure there are other opulent fragrance houses out there but I'm just comparing to what I know.

So... Am I destined to be a slave to the outrageously priced niche/designer fragrances? I suppose it's not all that bad as I don't really care much to have a large collection, but rather a few signatures that I rotate through. But still, I feel a bit spoiled having gone down this path to start.

Was anyone in the same boat as me? Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Got started in fragrances with CREED and feel a bit spoiled...

I don't see it as a problem. You enjoy the finer things and like something more when you understand it.

What I think you need to understand is that you dont HAVE to spend a lot of money to get something great, but generally there's a strong correlation between price and quality with ALL things. In the case of fragrance, the "quality" is as much about ingredients as the combination or concept behind the fragrance. There are many excellent quality fragrances that don't cost a lot, and even more expensive ones that aren't "good", in the sense that you may appreciate their creative genius but not want to wear them. So I say to you, find what you love, and view the MONEY simply as the cost of having it. Some will cost more or less, but it's not the point to pay more, just that if you love it, ignore the price.

I suggest starting to smell some very good budget fragrances to see if they give you the same feeling. For example, go try YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Imagine it's a Creed.

Now, if you're someone who enjoys something more knowing that you paid a lot, then keep paying a lot. That's fine. There are many other excellent houses that are just as expensive, and if you only stuck to them you'd be fine. Try Montale, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, Amouage, Frederic Malle, etc.

Also understand, that all things considered, these are relatively affordable luxuries. If you spent $100 on a shirt, you'd wear it 20 times and then throw it away. You can wear and re-experience that fragrance 100 times per bottle. So whether it costs $50 or $250, it's relatively little money for such an enjoyment. If it literally makes you feel, think, and act differently... isn't that a helluva cheap drug?
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Also understand, that all things considered, these are relatively affordable luxuries. If you spent $100 on a shirt, you'd wear it 20 times and then throw it away. You can wear and re-experience that fragrance 100 times per bottle. So whether it costs $50 or $250, it's relatively little money for such an enjoyment. If it literally makes you feel, think, and act differently... isn't that a helluva cheap drug?
    Brilliantly put and a very good point Thanks for the response and I'll take your advice and check out YSL RGPH next time I'm out

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's better to be "spoiled" in the sense that you know what quality is and you won't put up with anything that isn't instead of where most consumers are, which is that they're so used to overpriced garbage that they don't even know what quality looks like and they think "expensive" things are just overpriced because they assume it's the same mediocre stuff they're getting but at a higher price.

someone once put it like this... if someone can make a convincing knock-off and sell it on the street for cheap and people buy it, it means the quality wasn't so apparent in the genuine one that people would know the difference. I don't entirely agree, but it's a general point.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I think it's better to be "spoiled" in the sense that you know what quality is and you won't put up with anything that isn't instead of where most consumers are, which is that they're so used to overpriced garbage that they don't even know what quality looks like and they think "expensive" things are just overpriced because they assume it's the same mediocre stuff they're getting but at a higher price.

someone once put it like this... if someone can make a convincing knock-off and sell it on the street for cheap and people buy it, it means the quality wasn't so apparent in the genuine one that people would know the difference. I don't entirely agree, but it's a general point.
    The funny thing is, when I kept hearing all the Cool Water vs. GIT debate, I decided to compare them myself and honestly I do NOT see how people can say they're THAT similar. Okay they have some vague similarities on top, but after it dries down a bit they are night and day different.

But yeah I agree with you on the understanding quality thing.

Yeah man. I know exactly where your coming from. I'm a newbie but I can usually appreciate why a more expensive frangrance costs more. Plus I spend a hell of a lot of time researching/reading reviews on the web before I buy something.

Maybe you should try going to some place where they can make a custom perfume for you. If not try Versace pour homme. Cheap and mass market but smells nice.

Frangrances are more of a hobby of mine. More interesting to me than sports.