Code of Conduct

Thread: backne

Default backne

hey guys,

I have some mild acne on my back (a couple of pimples and some blackheads). I thought it would go away after puberty but I'm 19 now and it's still there lol. It's not too bad, but I'd still like to get rid of it.

I've been washing my back with a loofah and regular body wash for about 2 weeks and although it has improved, it has not cleared up completely.

So i've using stuff for a few days (i had never seen those reviews until now lol, i just got it at the drug store) and although my back is better, it hasn't cleared up completely.

i'd go to the doctor and get some cream to take care of it, but it's mostly just blackheads and i think the doctor might just tell me to go wash/scrub it instead of apply medicine haha.

Should I be patient? should i switch to something else? any insight is appreciated.

Default Re: backne

i would think that regular washing and light scrubbing should help keep the surface clear of bacteria.

Think about the sources of bacteria and how you might be creating an environment for them to grow (dark, wet, hot):
    Do you go to the gym and sweat in a cotton t-shirt that stays damp and pressed to your skin instead of a wicking fabric? Shower afterwards?
    Are you wearing cotton t-shirts as undershirts under your dress shirts?
    Do you wear a shirt to sleep, or are you skin on contact with the same sheets all night, where you probably sweat a lot... how often do you wash your sheets? once a week? that's like wearing the same t-shirt for 8 hours for a week... try wearing a shirt to bed and washing/switching every few days.

just a couple of ideas
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 9th November 2010 at 01:24 AM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

spot on...i do almost of those things!

I go to the gym and sweat in a cotton t-shirt. Is that not ok as long as you shower afterward? and I do shower afterward. What exactly is wicking fabric and is it a necessity?

I do wear cotton t-shirts as undershirts under dress shirts and sweaters. Is this not ok? i usually wash the t-shirt after wearing it once.

I do wear a t-shirt to bed and wash it every few days though

thanks for the links dr rudi, I'll check those out.

btw master-claster, check your pm's!

For the gym, I'd suggest switching to a proper workout shirt. Cotton just absorbs the sweat and stays wet and clings to your body. I'd suggest picking up some of those wicking fabric shirts. They're anywhere from $20-30 at SportsCheck or the Nike store to $50-80 at Lululemon. Try one and see if you notice the difference.

For undershirts under dress shirts, I think it's ok as long as you're not sweating too much but in summer i'd suggest skipping every once in a while. Do wash them regularly.

Good that you wash or change your sleeping shirt regularly.

lastly, try getting one of those back scrubbers. Either the one on a handle (don't mix it up with the toilet one!) or one of those sort of rectangular stiff towel looking ones. The exfoliating will clear off any dead skin and/or bacteria so it should lower the chance of cloged pores.

I would think that doing all this kind of stuff you should in theory see a lot of improvements even within a week or two at most. If not, well then go seek medical attention. Please note, I'm not any sort of MD, just a dude who's also got a back.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

yeah i already have one of those back scrubbers haha. using that with normal body wash has helped a lot. the only thing left now is just small amounts of blackheads (mostly around the back of my shoulders.) so it's not really a medical problem, it's just that i'd like my back to be PERFECTLY smooth haha. i'll look into those wicking fabric shirts (those are like the Nike Dri-Fit shirts, right?) and try to eat less unnecessarily greasy foods.

Quote Originally Posted by torontobluered View Post
    the only thing left now is just small amounts of blackheads (mostly around the back of my shoulders.)

Chemical exfoliation:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/...aha-exfoliants

One of the challenges about acne on the body, is that while benzoyl peroxide works best, it fades clothing and sheets. Salicylic acid is an alternative, although it doesn't provide as immediate and consistent results, as BP. My recommendation is that at night, cleanse the area well, and use a 2.5 BP cream, wear a white shirt, and use white sheets. It seems like a sacrifice, but if you want to get rid of the acne, this is the best approach. Salicylic acid just sloughs away dead skin cells and slows the production of oil, but it is not an anti-bacterial (bacteria is what causes the inflammation, along with the clogged pore). Benzoyl peroxide goes "into" the follicle, and kills this bacteria, while drying up any fluids inside. I hope this helps. Do not use more than 2.5%, as it will not work any quicker or better, and you will likely only receive more drying and irritating side-effects by using anything stronger. Good luck!