Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Ungaro III reformulation thoughts

Had to go out of town a bit today and stopped at a Perfumania that happened to have Ungaro III - the new version (made in Italy, black cap, black box). It was 50% off and already cheap, so I took the dive.

I have not smelled the original Ungaro III.

I like this a lot. It's a dark, masculine, spicy rose - but one thing I noticed was that this scent is strikingly similar to Cuba Red by Cuba Paris.

Now, I don't know if the old III smells completely different when compared to the knew III, but I smell tobacco in this. Can anyone alleviate my query? First about how different the two smell, and second if there is indeed tobacco in this?

Any feedback is appreciated in advance!
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Default Re: Ungaro III reformulation thoughts

I just picked up one of the old ones blind because it sounded interesting... hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on the smell or authenticity.

ebay seller, $20 for a NIB 50ml here (free shipping in USA)

Then again, Parfum1 has a 100ml for $26 - %15... not sure if it's the old or new formula though
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 2nd November 2010 at 03:54 AM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I just picked up one of the old ones blind because it sounded interesting... hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on the smell or authenticity.

ebay seller, $20 for a NIB 50ml here (free shipping in USA)

Then again, Parfum1 has a 100ml for $26 - %15... not sure if it's the old or new formula though
    The original version was made in France. Seeing that written on the box is the only way to be sure. This is extremely difficult to find now.

The black box version is the latest one. There is a question about whether there has been a second reformulation when the box was changed from the red floral print box to the black box.

I own the original made in France version and also the reformulated version made in Italy which came in the red floral print box. There is a difference, and the reformulation is noticeable. I cannot say about the black box version because I haven't tried it.

There have been no less than 4 versions of the packaging of this fragrance. I believe the only agreed on reformulation occurred with the first package change. I've personally owned the 2nd and 4th versions and detect little difference; nothing beyond perhaps age and/or improper storage.

I've collected some pictures over the years showing the differences. I believe the first pictures were taken by scentimental. Sorry I do not give proper attribution to the others.

First version
    Made in France, red box, red cap.

Second version
    Made in Italy, red box, red cap.

Third version
    Made in Italy, red box, black cap.

Fourth (current) version
    Made in Italy, black box, black cap.

Last edited by DocmanCC; 2nd November 2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Sorry if the images do not show up today. It seems my webhost is a bit flaky right now.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    There have been no less than 4 versions of the packaging of this fragrance. I believe the only agreed on reformulation occurred with the first package change. I've personally owned the 2nd and 4th versions and detect little difference; nothing beyond perhaps age and/or improper storage.

I've collected some pictures over the years showing the differences. I believe the first pictures were taken by scentimental. Sorry I do not give proper attribution to the others.

First version

Second version

Third version

Fourth (current) version

Wow! Thanx for the pics, DocmanCC! Yes, my version is the one at the very bottom. And thanks to everyone else for your help so far. I like it, it's just a bit thin/watery to me. I'm assuming the original is much better....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I have sampled the reformulation and am not impressed at all. I get no rose. Even then, its a mediocre scent. I will test spray this at home from my sample when I get back ( just to make sure).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Yes there is no rose ! I have the 4th edition , does the 3rd edition have rose?

I have bottles of the 1st, 2nd, and 4th versions of the boxes/caps/juice. My nose isn't the greatest, but I don't detect much rose in the vintage juice or the reformulated stuff either. Some describe the rose in the vintage stuff as a "dry rose" which I can understand, but it does not smell much like any rose frag I've ever smelled. As for the differences between the two formulations, the original is darker and sexier. I find the reformulated juice to be lighter/brighter but a bit more chemical smelling as well. I like both formulations but prefer the vintage. Bottles of the vintage stuff can still be found on ebay for cheap and some mom and pop perfume shops still have it but you have to find the red boxes and kindly ask the SA to open the box and allow you to verify that it has a red lid. I've had some luck with this and scored a 50ml bottle this way.

Only have the original and I am fine with that. If I didn't have that, the new one would be just as good for me.

Old thread is old.

Anyway, I've got the version with the marbled red box and the black cap. It's lame. Cheap smelling and cologney. Ungaro II is pretty cool, though!

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Yes there is no rose ! I have the 4th edition , does the 3rd edition have rose?
    Yes, but it is fruitier, thinner, more winelike than I find desirable.

The "third edition" (red roses box, black cap, made in Italy) bottle I ended up purchasing is not particularly gothic, unfortunately.

My sample of it from a few years ago was better in every respect, which suggests it came from one of the earlier editions.

It's still one of the best '90s fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post

First version
    Second version
    Third version
    Fourth (current) version
    DocmanCC, thank you for the good work!

I'm afraid we already have the fifth version - without golden element on the bottom.

Recently I bought such bottle and... oh god, this does not seem even to the fourth version (I compare with the bottle of 2006).

Here's how it looks (Fifth version):

Last edited by marbert; 10th February 2014 at 06:04 PM.
    architect with a photo-camera
    http://fav.raminzmicer.com

The 3rd & 4th version bottles look identical .
    Does anyone have both to check the fine print on the box & bottle ?

They are the same and are OK, nothing great.
    The original version was sublime.

While the new version is lighter, more floral and citrus dominated, did not notice otherwise much of a decrease in longevity, but indeed the vintage version was a bit darker, more leather dominated and borderline powerhouse (almost closer to an 80s rather than a 90s fragrance).

thanks guys ,
    Red Cap Made in France is the one !
    I have V3 liked it enough to not part with it .
    Took me a few years & around 5 or 6 wears to appreaciate it .
    cheers

I get no rose whatsoever. It's a balmy fougere on me.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I get no rose whatsoever. It's a balmy fougere on me.
    which version ?

I just got my hands on some of the original juice made in France and I have to say the most striking thing about it isn't the rose which is subtle but the sandalwood! It's peppery, and along with the nutmeg gives it a warm, dusty base. Longevity is very good because of the quality of the sandalwood but the sillage is close to the skin. The vodka note to my nose feels like wormwood, a note that I love( esp. In Mfk Lumiere Noire), and gives vintage U3 a hazy, boozy, slippery quality that I really enjoy in a fragrance.

I also found what I think is the 2nd formulation on ebay but can't say for sure. The front of the box looks like the vintage but the back of the box says "Made in Italy" and I haven't seen this combo in the photos in previous threads. Hopefully someone can clear this up for me. Here are the pics:
    Last edited by EncreNous; 14th May 2014 at 04:56 AM.

* bump*
    encrenous ,, good question
    Perhaps ask the seller if he would open it for you ? ....

It could be third what you have found .
    In the meantime I hope someone else responds .
    If not i will check my bottle & box and report back next week .
    ...( the earliest i can do)

My bottle has a red cap, and the box is mottled red with the information label on the back indicating "Made in Italy", just like your picture EncreNous. Based on what I smell, I have always thought it is the reformulated version, not the original. It just doesn't match your description of the original EncreNous, or any other review I've read of the original.

I haven't worn it in awhile but I really do like it. I would describe it as a geranium-heavy fougere, clean-smelling yet dark and piercing. Has a light and airy feel to it. Also pretty diffusive stuff, and lasts a long time. Can't think of another scent to compare it to...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    * bump*
    encrenous ,, good question
    Perhaps ask the seller if he would open it for you ? ....

It could be third what you have found .
    In the meantime I hope someone else responds .
    If not i will check my bottle & box and report back next week .
    ...( the earliest i can do)
    Thanks, Dimitrios! I will let you know what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    My bottle has a red cap, and the box is mottled red with the information label on the back indicating "Made in Italy", just like your picture EncreNous. Based on what I smell, I have always thought it is the reformulated version, not the original. It just doesn't match your description of the original EncreNous, or any other review I've read of the original.

I haven't worn it in awhile but I really do like it. I would describe it as a geranium-heavy fougere, clean-smelling yet dark and piercing. Has a light and airy feel to it. Also pretty diffusive stuff, and lasts a long time. Can't think of another scent to compare it to...
    Ungaro 3, (from the 3ml samples that say Made in Paris off Ebay) is a shapeshifter. Yesterday, I got most of the oakmoss and citrus, they day before mostly the sandalwood. It definitely keeps me interested throughout a full day's wear.

The reason I thought it might be vintage (1st formula) is the box .All the pictures I've seen of the 1st form. didnt have the black area under the "III" so I thought it couldve been the original.

Ah...the hunt for the "right" formulation...I may just end up with all of them. Why limit myself?!

I have the third version. Smells a little like grape juice or wine. I haven't worn it in awhile.

So I received my 1oz ungaro 3 (red mottled cap)today and I'm happy to say that it smells exactly like the vintage sample I got off ebay( listing is still on there selling 3ml samples Made in France in pairs). It is an entirely deep purple bottle (no gold) as in the picture of the 2nd formulation above but with the red mottled cap shown in the pic of the first formulation. Confusing, but until I sample all the formulations I won't know for sure.

@arlecchino: I have to try the reformulations in order to know for sure